Nocover-blank-133x176
Rheingold: Roman

Stephan Grundy

Rheingold: Roman

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  218 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Proudly dedicated to both J. R. R. Tolkien and Richard Wagner, Rhinegold is a tour de force that will enthrall devotees of either master of magic, casting a fascinating new light on the stories they have told. What The Mists of Avalon did for Celtic culture, Rhinegold does magnificently for its Nordic counterpart. Sweeping the reader into the stark, sensuous, exuberant wor...more
Published 1996 by Fischer-Taschenbuch-Verl. (first published January 1st 1992)

Lennongirl
I read this for the first time in the early ninties, I think, and I remember being very fond of it, so I gave it a reread. It's a very compelling story, lots of action, love, drama, seduction, betrayal and what not - it is epic, it really is. And Grundy tells the story in such a nice, flawless way that you can't help it but have to read on. Basically, this book has it all - and it's actually a 5-star-read.

However, I can give it 4 stars only because of the German translation. I never noticed it...more
Reinhold
Herausragendes Frühmittelalterepos

Stephan Grundy ist ein wunderbares Werk gelungen. Er hat es perfekt geschafft, die Gratwanderung zwischen Phantasyroman und Quellentreue zu bestehen. Aus einem sehr tiefen Verständnis der ursprünglichen Quellen beschreibt er die Geschichte rund um das Rheingold - also wie es zu dem Drachen kam, wie es zu Sigfrid kam und wie es den Burgundern Unglück brachte. Von einem historischen Roman unterscheidet er sich insofern, als er die nordische Götterwelt immer mitwir...more
Sean
Rhinegold is one of those epic books that you wait to tackle until you have the energy and the time for a major project. The book gets off to a very slow start, slowly building up background information for a couple hundred pages, until Grundy introduces the main characters and the book starts to feel more like a novel than a history book reciting a litany of Norse myths.

The book takes its material from the Norse Volsunga Saga, The Ring of the Nibelung and the Eddas. We've seen the same story in...more
Sianeka
First, I need to be fair and state that I'm not a fan of Germanic/Norse mythology. Rhinegold hasn't changed that. I was hoping to find a compelling story that brought these myths to life, but that's not what I found here. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with Grundy's prose, the book was a fine read. It's just that the characters weren't brought to life, their motivations remained hazy and the justifications for their actions not real to me.

The Norse gods are cruel and capricious, creating h...more
Patrice
This is a VERY long book. It's over 800 pages in about size 10 font for the paperback version. In fairness, it was originally meant to be three seperate novels that were all crammed into one. If you have any interest in Norse mythology, particularly the legend of Sigurd, I highly recommend this book. It covers the legend from beginning to end and really makes the characters come alive.
Debbie
This is dense and fascinating book. It offers a fictionalized yet entirely possible view of the legend of Sigifrith the Volsung and the Ring of the Nibelung. It is not an easy read by any means but once I finished the book I was glad I did. Grundy researched this legend and the history of the time and created a compelling, complex and captivating tale.
Tiffany Robbins
Debbie
Marisa
I've started it countless times...at least 5 that I can think of. Never finished it. It seems like it should be a really good book. I think that I will really love it if I can ever get past the first hundred pages or so. Alas, it will continue to sit on my shelves with last try's bookmark still in it.
Dawn
I liked Attila's Treasure far better than this book even though this filled in quite a few details I needed.
While very well written and researched, it was too long and often got bogged down in the little things.
Julie
Apr 09, 2008 Julie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Julie by: Bryon
Shelves: fantasy
Bryon lovvvvves this book, and he got me to read it too. There's a deep story to it and it is mostly based on Wagner's Ring Cycle. I did enjoy it although I think I prefer my books a little lighter in tone.
Rhonda
I seldom read a book more than once. Rheingold is a rare exception. This retelling of the Norse tale is exceptionally good. It is superb background material for any Tolkein or mythology fans.
Chris
Good retelling of the Ring cycles. Grundy brings some fresh views to it as well.
☯Bettie☯
Golden sunlight glittered from the Rhine's depths like a fire in the flood, brightening the dark waters into the torchlit grandeur of a river-king's hall.

In complete contrast to my other current reads - a palate cleanser. The picture is right but mine is in English (Rhinegold) and a hardcover.

This is a biggy so I had better keep track of characters as they come along...
Sigifrith - blacksmith and apprentice
Ragin - dwarf teacher and foster-father to Sigifrith
King Alapercht - instructs Ragin to tea...more
Chuck Bohannon
Germanic Mythology filled with Shakespearean tragedy.
Benjamin Thomas
Just couldn't get into it...
Kathryn Leonard
Kathryn Leonard marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Lara
Lara marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Daniela
Daniela marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Peter Bell
Peter Bell marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Tribblemaker
Tribblemaker marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Daina Rowell
Daina Rowell marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Mark Halse
Mark Halse is currently reading it
Apr 07, 2014
K Davis
K Davis marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Tricia
Tricia marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
  • The Wolf and the Raven (Wodan's Children, #1)
  • The Light Bearer
  • Die Hüter der Rose (Waringham, #2)
  • Alamut (Alamut, #1)
  • The Mabinogion Tetralogy
  • Red Branch
  • Das Jesus Video
  • Sherwood (Sherwood, #1)
  • The Master of all Desires
  • The Eagle and the Raven
  • Dark Horse (Dark Horse, #1)
  • Child of the Phoenix
  • Ice Land
  • The Prince and the Pilgrim (Arthurian Saga, #5)
  • The Idylls of the Queen: A Tale of Queen Guenevere
Dr. Stephan Grundy (born 1967 in New York, U.S.) is an American author. Being versed in particularly the Germanic mythology and cultural history, Grundy is known best for his modern adaptations of legendary sagas. Some of his work is published under the pseudonym Kveldulf Gundarsson.
More about Stephan Grundy...
Attila's Treasure Gilgamesh Beowulf Adler und Falke (Falcon Dreams, #1) Die Nacht des Falken (Falcon Dreams, #3)