Start by marking “The Sandman, Vol. 2: The Doll's House” as Want to Read:
The Sandman, Vol. 2: The Doll's House

The Sandman, Vol. 2: The Doll's House (The Sandman #2)

4.44  ·  Rating Details ·  57,435 Ratings  ·  1,588 Reviews
A being who has existed since the beginning of the universe, Dream of the Endless rules over the realm of dreams. In THE DOLL’S HOUSE, after a decades-long imprisonment, the Sandman has returned to find that a few dreams and nightmares have escaped to reality. Looking to recapture his lost possessions, Morpheus ventures to the human plane only to learn that a woman named R ...more
Published March 10th 1999 by Vertigo (first published June 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Sandman, Vol. 2, please sign up.

C. Yes, but the characters who make the rape jokes are not role models in the slightest. The joke itself is cringe-inducing within context and does not…moreYes, but the characters who make the rape jokes are not role models in the slightest. The joke itself is cringe-inducing within context and does not make light of rape.

If you are worried about the content be warned: this is not a children's series. It has depictions of some of the worst aspects of human nature (abuse, gory murder, sexual depravity, etc.). The comic series never idolizes these things, but they are in there. If a single rape joke, told by some of the worst characters, concerns you, then you might want to think twice about the series.

If you could handle the "24-hours" plot line from the first book, then you can handle this book.(less)
Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanBatman by Frank Miller
Required Reading Graphic Novels
15th out of 824 books — 1,567 voters
Watchmen by Alan MooreV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanBatman by Frank Miller
500 Essential Graphic Novels
16th out of 835 books — 666 voters

More lists with this book...

Patrick
Note: This is part two of a rambling multi-volume re-read of the series. It will probably make better sense in context of other reviews...

In this volume, we get several cool stand-alone stories and our first longer story arc with a non-sandman character. It's good stuff. Clever and fun and smart. Everything you'd expect from Gaiman.

When I first read it, it wowed me. It was cool and real and mythic all at once.

Reading it now, I look back on my first-read-through self and smile fondly, thinking
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
I'm sorry Neil Gaiman..That first book in this series was kinda bland.

I think you way stepped it up in this book.

Yes, I know..you has some fangirls..err Kelly and Synesthesia..might want to send those to some fan mail..they got your back.

This one featured Dream guy but it actually made some sense..or did I drink the kool-aid?? Am I dreaming now..Now I'm paranoid.
I hate to give much away because these books aren't very long. So you gonna have to read these suckers.
Oh! Wait! I will tell you. If
Alejandro
An extraorDinary masterpiece!

Creative Team:

Writer: Neil Gaiman

Illustrators: Mike Dringenberg, Malcolm Jones III, Michael Zulli, Steve Parkhouse & Chris Bachalo

Letterer: Todd Klein

dOLLS & dREAMS

So, this is no man, no god, but something else.

You know that this TPB is something else when Clive Barker does the introduction!

While I only read (so far) four of the first TPBs of The Sandman, at least in this moment I have to say that this is the strongest storyline.

The first time that I st
Bill  Kerwin
Aug 21, 2016 Bill Kerwin rated it it was amazing

The first volume of the Sandman was a fascinating experiment that enlarged the borders of the comic book world; this second volume is a fulfillment, a wildly imaginative narrative which is also a disciplined example of the story-teller’s art.

In an excellent introduction by Clive Barker—one of the masters of modern horror—the author distinguishes between two types of fantastic fiction: 1) the most common form, in which “a reality that resembles our own” is invaded by the fantastic, which is event
Brad
Nov 05, 2015 Brad rated it it was amazing
The Corinthian and the serial murderer's convention was rather special, and Rose Walker was somewhat interesting the first time reading this, but the second time? I think it was much better.

It's all about how we are shaped and what we shape, from feelings of listlessness (Dream), making a new life (the escaped dreams), or friendship with Hob, the humanity of Death, of Desire's machinations.

All of which touch on something deeper than a single series of comics should ever have a chance to commit.

V
Anne
2.5 stars...possibly 3?

I had forgotten why I stopped after volume 1.
Now I remember.
I see why everyone loves and reveres this title, I really do. It's just not my cuppa. It's just too dark and trippy for me, and the art isn't something that I actually enjoy looking at.
I'm not saying it's awful...I just don't like it!
I really wish I could say that I got all the deep introspective stuff that Gaiman was saying, but...
Truth?
I'm a few tiny steps away from being completely shallow and silly.
Especially
Charlene
The Doll's House kicked ass. Most especially the section involving the serial killer (Cereal) convention.
How fun is that? The answer is: LOTS!

Featuring an introduction by Clive Barker and artwork that I often found to be stunning, I can't find any fault with it at all.

Highly recommended for fans of graphic novels and/or dark fiction.
Andrew
Aug 29, 2007 Andrew rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
I used to stubbornly think that graphic novels had no intellectual merits other than for amateur entertainment (I know, pedestal). This series not only blew me away visually, but caused me to see graphic novels in a new light. Everyone should read this series.

Here's what i want to say, but someone else said it first and better than i could:
"Erudite, allusive, complex and ambitious, SANDMAN is undoubtedly the finest writing the mainstream comic book industry has ever seen. It dares to tell the st
Brad
One of my favourite lines in film is from Bull Durham. Annie Savoy (Susan Sarandon) asks Millie how the sex was with Ebby Calvin LaLoosh (Tim Robbins), and Millie says, "He kind of fucks like he throws, sorta all over the place." And that is EXACTLY how Neil Gaiman writes.

He has mad creative talent. There is no denying it. But too often that talent is uncontrolled, chaotic and even bafflingly silly. The Doll's House, written back when he was just becoming Neil Gaiman (and probably had editors f
Algernon
May 20, 2013 Algernon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013

short review : WOW !!!

long form : The Sandman series gains in confidence and daring, leaves behind most of the influences from the original DC comic and takes flight on its own with the second volume. The eight issue story arc opens with Tales in the Sand : a look at the distant past of the Endless entity known as Dream. Like one of the Greek gods, he falls in love with a mortal - Nada, the queen of a prosperous African tribe. Their union is doomed, and all that remains is a cautionary tale ab
Sam Quixote
What do you do when you encounter a run of bad comics? Return to the ones you’ve read and loved before for a re-read! So it’s doubly disappointing when a comic you thought you enjoyed way back when turns out to be kinda crappy – even more so when it’s an acknowledged classic like The Sandman!

Morpheus has returned to the Dreamtime after being imprisoned for 70 years (see the first volume for how that came to be and how he escaped). He begins putting things to rights and sets off to round up his
Stuart
The Sandman, Vol 2: The Doll's House - Gaiman hits his stride with a chilling cereal convention

After reading the first three volumes of Sandman, I decided to re-read them again before moving onto volume 4. That’s because you really don’t recognize all the subtle hints, foreshadowing, character connections, and thematic elements that run throughout the stories. It’s just like visiting a big city such as New York or London for the first time - initially you go to all the most well-known sights and
Lyn
Nov 13, 2015 Lyn rated it liked it
The Doll’s House, the second installment of Neil Gaiman’s The Sandman series, is an entertaining offering of graphic novel collaboration.

Gaiman’s imaginative storyline is brought to life by illustrators Steve Parkhouse, Chris Bachalo, Michael Zulli, Mike Dringenberg and Malcolm Jones III. Taking off from the introductory The Sandman, Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes, this volume follows a thematic plot about a “dream vortex” about which Morpheus must contend.

Other vignettes featured continue to
Angel Erin
Apr 15, 2016 Angel Erin rated it really liked it

So I read the first volume in The Sandman series about a year ago and I liked it (I rated it 3 stars), but I didn't love it. I bought the second one and I've put off reading it since then because I wasn't 100% sold on the series. So when I began the Insane Genre Challenge I decided to read this one for the Graphic Novel genre. I'm happy to say that I did like this one better. Hooray!

While the first Sandman volume was a bit confusing and a little dull in pl
Anthony Chavez
Right now that this is currently my favorite Sandman book (Mind you this is only the 2nd volume). I read volume one "Preludes & Nocturnes" and liked it, but the beginning was a little slow and didn't grab me right away. That cannot be said for "The Doll's House," this volume hooked me from page one, and it didn't let up, I wanted to devour every page. Even when there is a side story in the middle of the book, I was still fascinated by the tale because I knew, Gaiman is going to make this awe ...more
Sh3lly ✨ Bring on the Weird ✨
In this one, Morpheus discovers several of his creations escaped the Dreamland while he was imprisoned, so he has to go retrieve them. They are some pretty messed up beings too, especially The Corinthian. *shiver* He also discovers there is a new "vortex" in the shape of a teenage girl named Rose who threatens to damage the Dreaming.

This one was a bit too dark for me. It's got serial killers and child abuse in it and that goes way out of my comfort zone. I also just didn't really like the story
Airiz C
While Morpheus starred in the forefront in Preludes and Nocturnes, he takes a backseat in The Doll’s House. Here, mortals—the Walkers—fueled the story.

The Doll’s House treads on the similar path as Preludes and Nocturnes. In the first volume, Morpheus has to find important talismans; in the second volume Morpheus has to seek for dreams that have escaped his realm and morphed into human forms in the wake of the chaotic events in P&N. We get introduced to Rose Walker, a dream vortex that was f
J.G. Keely
Oct 23, 2007 J.G. Keely rated it really liked it
Like most of these collections, there are several fairly strong stories but one which stands above the others. In this second installation, it is the convention of serial killers where Gaiman is able to tap into his sense of human nature and draw out something that is funny, terrifying, and well-written. Often, his archetypal main characters cannot hold a candle to the depth and complexity of the small throwaways such as Gaiman creates here.

Perhaps he is afraid of alienating the reader, and henc
Stephen
Jun 23, 2010 Stephen rated it it was amazing
4.5 to 5.0 stars. As good as Preludes and Nocturnes was, it is in this second volume of the Sandman series that both the character and the evolving storyline comes into its own. After over a century of imprisonment, Morpheus returns to his realm to find Dreamland in disarray and proceeds to get things back in order. Gaiman continues his high level storytelling and we get to learn more about Sandman's siblings, the Endless. Great, great stuff.
José
Repaso de todos los volúmenes en esta entrada

Much better than the first one and that's saying A LOT! (review soon)
Arielle Walker
Even darker and more twisted than the first, if that's possible, with interconnecting storylines that really pull you into the Sandman's world. Rose is an interesting character, and I hope that she makes more appearances in the next volumes. The "Convention of Collectors" was disgusting, perfectly so, and the Corinthian was the best part - although when I say "best", I really mean most terrifiying, but is that not the same thing here? There were more brilliant evil characters on one pag
Damon
Jun 03, 2016 Damon rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Absolutely a much better read that the first one. I especially liked the story about the chaps meeting every hundred years. The art could actually look ok if someone hadn't scribbled all over it with bad inking and terrible colouring.
Paul Nelson
First issue kicks off with Dream falling in love with a mortal queen named Nada; and she also falls in love with him. Dream is one of the Endless and Nada knows that they can never be together and she refuses to marry him, Dream sentences Nada to hell and her kingdom is ruined. This is one of several stories within the main story, each taking you into Dreams head a little at a time.

The main story thread starts in the second issue with a girl Rose Walker, who is the granddaughter of Unity Kincaid
Ronyell
6 stars!!!

After reading Neil Gaiman’s first graphic novel in the “Sandman” series “Preludes and Nocturnes,” I just had to read more from this fantastic series and lo and behold, I have just picked up the second volume of the “Sandman” series, “The Doll’s House!” “The Doll’s House” is just as dark and gritty as the first volume and this will be a volume that fans will cherished for many years!

After the events of “Preludes and Nocturnes,” Dream (known as “The Sandman” or Morpheus) goes back and
Jesse
Well, I must say right now that this is currently my favorite Sandman book. I read Vol. 1: Preludes & Nocturns and really liked it, but there is a part in the middle of it that just didn't grab me. That cannot be said for "The Doll's House". I was hooked from page one, and only got more drawn into the book as it went. Even when there is a side story in the middle of the book, I was still fascinated by the tale. In fact I would say my favorite part of the book is the side story in the middle. ...more
Paul
Feb 06, 2015 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2015
The second volume of the Sandman series opens with a tale of an African Queen who falls in love with Morpheus himself. It is forbidden for mere mortals to fall in love with the dream king, and she suffers for it.

After this little sojourn, you are straight into the story properly. There are several stories and threads that weave their way through the narrative, Morpheus is trying to recover the position and authority that he held before, and you meet his cohorts. There is Rose, a teen who has ju
Carla Dente
May 27, 2016 Carla Dente rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Casi tan perfecto como el primero. voy a ir en contra de la opinión popular y a decir que "Preludios y nocturnos" me gustó un poquitito más. Pero aún así es perfecto. NECESITO EL TERCER TOMO EN MI PODER, YA!
Ten
Amazing !! :) Neil Gaiman is everything. The only thing stopping me from giving this 5 stars is that I'm not used to graphic novels and still adjusting to the new reading style, so I wasn't fully immersed.
Teresa
Jan 17, 2014 Teresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much tighter than the first volume, with better storylines and some referential explanation of earlier events. Even the expected gore of certain sections, though it made me cringe, was well-done: social commentary is its purpose. I'm hoping certain characters (not the serial killers!) make reappearances in later volumes. The inventive story had me paging backwards, the ending reflecting back to the beginning, something I always love.
Jonathan
Sep 27, 2014 Jonathan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well that was impressively done. The more I read the more I am starting to understand and appreciate the techniques. It is a very difficult thing to create a mythic structure that feels true, that feels heavy and rich enough to have any power. I see why this has such a following.
  • Lucifer, Vol. 3: A Dalliance With the Damned
  • Fables, Vol. 5: The Mean Seasons
  • Swamp Thing, Vol. 2: Love and Death
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 6: Gouge Away (Transmetropolitan, #6)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 4: Safeword (Y: The Last Man, #4)

The Sandman (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Sandman: Overture
  • The Sandman, Vol. 7: Brief Lives
  • The Sandman, Vol. 8: Worlds' End
  • The Sandman, Vol. 9: The Kindly Ones
  • The Sandman, Vol. 10: The Wake

“For love is no part of the dreamworld. Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.” 210 likes
“The only reason people die, is because EVERYONE does it. You all just go along with it.
It's RUBBISH, death. It's STUPID. I don't want nothing to do with it.”
63 likes