Start by marking “The Pieces from Berlin” as Want to Read:
The Pieces from Berlin

The Pieces from Berlin

2.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  133 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
From the author of "Taking Lives" comes a riveting new novel, inspired by an actual historical figure, about a woman who made a fortune trafficking stolen art in wartime Berlin, and the terrible emotional consequences of her crimes.
Published February 25th 2003 by Alfred A. Knopf (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Pieces from Berlin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pieces from Berlin

Nancy
May 07, 2012 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, ww2
I'm interested in our contemporary struggle to return art and family treasures lost or stolen during the Nazi regime. Searching for reading material on the subject, this book cropped up in the library card catalogue.

It is a chilling novel that centers on the struggle to survive in Nazi Germany and the painful memories that linger decades later.

For me, this was not so much a book I sought to enjoy, but a subject I am eager to understand a bit more. Pye's novel offers some perspective on how Jewis
Marilyn Lagier
The premise of the novel sounded interesting enough that I ripped the "calendar page" from the 2004 Book a Day calendar long ago. I finally got around to purchasing the novel. It revolved around an Italian woman, married to a Swiss man, who received goods from Jews living in Berlin during WW II. The goods ended up in her shop in Switzerland and years later, a woman passes by the window and spots a table she had owned. So, that certainly sounded intriguing. But then I began reading. The plot beca ...more
Jac
Jul 15, 2009 Jac rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The pitfall of this book, for me at least, was the marketing. I was expecting a first-person narrative of events in 1940's Berlin detailing a woman's life before and during WWII, and the actions she takes in response. I wanted her story; I ached for her story throughout the entire novel. I wanted her motives, her thoughts, her actions, her circumstances. Instead, I received a roundabout novel about a granddaughter attempting to rid herself of inherited shame. I could not share completely in her ...more
Lauraine
An interesting look at moral judgement before and after WWII, and how people justify their actions while bombs go off all around them and their Jewish neighbours begin to disappear.
Sue Whitt
Aug 05, 2015 Sue Whitt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Life in Berlin during the war for Jews and for people taking advantage of their plight. After the war, should there be criminal consequences for them? Specifically, who does own that art?
Diana Petty-stone
Wartime Berlin, a rather unscrupulous Italian woman married to a Swiss soldier with a German son. A twisty jigsaw puzzle which eventually falls neatly into place.
Katy M
Aug 19, 2014 Katy M rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was good, but it seemed a little disjointed and confusing.
Becky
Jan 12, 2014 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A deep look into how survival fuels greed's grip. The past does not stay the past when it is ignored, instead it becomes a hidden prison that drives us to hide from the truth of living with our imperfections. Fascinating read that actually gave me pause to notice the ways what one experiences is a part of what one becomes...but the final chapter is still being written in our lives by what we choose now.
Johanna
Oct 03, 2015 Johanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More like 3.5ish, but I'm feeling generous.
Suzanne
Aug 01, 2012 Suzanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quietly understated book that gradually gains momentum, until the final resolutions resonate like bomb shaken Berlin. An elderly woman sees a piece of her past in another old womans store and sets up of events that force all the characters to evaluate their roles in WWII and the consequences of decisions made or not made. Thought provoking , and not cliched, this book forces one to ask what they would have done in the same circumstances. We finally must conclude that evil, sugar-coated is evil ...more
Paola
Nov 24, 2015 Paola rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Appassionante solo nelle ultime 100 pagine, in cui si riesce finalmente a capire il senso di tutto il libro. Molto confusionario e superficiale, viene raccontata una vicenda molto forte senza però entrare nei particolari, anche i personaggi sono solo abbozzati e non ben delineati, per questo non sono riuscita ad amare od odiare nessuno di loro, forse solo il povero Nicholas, che è stato l'unico capace di commettere un'azione eclatante in un appiattimento generale.
Il titolo prometteva bene...
Tuck
Apr 13, 2011 Tuck rated it liked it
based on true stories of berliners secreting fine art out of germany to switzerland, then selling said meissens, picassos, etc.. and making millions. this is the story of one such woman, and her family, and those that try to bring her to justice. its a good story, but i don't prefer author pye's style of "reportage" rather than narrative. that said, this is a significant novel and will be around for many long (centuries?) years, let us hope.
Tahlia Gray
Feb 21, 2014 Tahlia Gray rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The writing style was poor and hard to follow. I couldn't even finish it. Disappointing.
Shannon
May 26, 2012 Shannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Michael Pye's underrated gift as a writer is the ability to portray the wholeness--good, bad, ordinary--of character through vivid observation of human action, reaction, and gesture. He makes you feel the very heart of humanness struggling to make personal autobiography meaningful--palatable even--in the face of the past's hard truths.
~mad
Apr 02, 2008 ~mad rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to ~mad by: Mary P
Shelves: booksiveread
I plugged my way through this one - I usually an interested in Nazi Germany and that time - this one was hard - would not recommend.
The story was very depressing on top of the subject matter. While I loke to read books of people who persevere, this one portrayed a woman with little or no remorse.

Don't bother. Sorry.....
Caroline
Jan 24, 2010 Caroline rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
eh - the book seemed to be in need of some editing. It didn't flow and lots of parts were just clunky in both dialouge and pace. It seemed to have the potential to be very interesting especially being based on a true events (the main character was based off a real person) but for some reason, it just didn't work.
Emily
Apr 18, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A novel about the aftermath of WWII and the Jews whose property was stolen, as well as of the people who stole the property (mostly art work). Several generations are affected by the actions of one woman who, according to the way she justifies it, was just trying to provide for herself and her son.
Diane
Jul 28, 2011 Diane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An interesting topic that falls short due to some mediocre story-telling. The plot develops slowly and then characters are introduced, complications barely explained and nothing is ultimately settled. The short, choppy paragraphs left me feeling frustrated. Overall this felt incomplete.
Roberta
Apr 24, 2009 Roberta rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Yet another book club tedious read. I couldn't care less about Lucia (the smuggler), her son Nicholas, or her granddaughter Helen. I did get one good quote out of it: "They were a closed society, not ready even for a biological intruder". Apt for childless couple who choose to be that way.
Aug 28, 2010 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An interesting story about an ethically challenging topic. However, the author writes in an obtuse way that seems intended to infuse the story with depth, but instead just makes the descriptions of everything that happens somewhat vague.
Reena
Jan 17, 2013 Reena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It didn't really hold my attention that well until the second half (or less than that) but towards the end it did tie together nicely so I could appreciate the story more.
Marvin
Aug 06, 2009 Marvin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Another one I gave up on. It looks back at WWII in Europe in short, choppy sections made up of short, choppy sentences, and with little sense of story line.
Trish
Mar 01, 2010 Trish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe I should clarify and say that the 4 stars is really for about 1/2-3/4 of the novel. I couldn't put it down at first, but the ending was anti-climatic.
Valerie
Jul 19, 2008 Valerie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A woman whose antiques business was based on selling items left in her care during WWII is confronted by a stranger who recognizes one of the items as her own.
Rachel
Apr 15, 2009 Rachel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a snore. Anti-climactic, blah. The whole story is given away in the dust-jacket.

I want the last hour I spent finishing it back!
Carrie
May 05, 2008 Carrie added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
It starts out so well, but the later half of the book is unreadable. No praise for this book. The writer really gave up half way through.
Clare
This novel takes place both in the present and in World War II. It lent itself to some good discussion points for my book club.
Megan
Jan 05, 2011 Megan is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: surpisingly-bad
Not going to finish it this time, maybe give it a try another time but for now it goes under surprisingly bad!
Claire
Feb 04, 2009 Claire rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
curious writing style. The whole story is given away with the book jacket. thought it was anti-climactic.
Kelly
Sep 14, 2009 Kelly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Yet ANOTHER one of those books that has a fabulous cover, but anything but fabulous insides.
  • Saints and Villains
  • The Air Between Us
  • Five Skies
  • Rules for Old Men Waiting
  • In a German Pension: 13 Stories
  • The Guilt of Innocents (Owen Archer, #9)
  • The Quality of Life Report
  • Literature: A Pocket Anthology (Penguin Academics)
  • Secrets of the Savanna: Twenty-three Years in the African Wilderness Unraveling the Mysteries of Elephants and People
  • Secrets of the TSIL Cafe
  • Eating Mammals: Three Novellas
  • All We Know of Love
  • Sights Unseen
Michael Pye writes for a living -- as novelist, journalist, historian and sometimes broadcaster. He is English by birth, but civilized by study in Italy and a newspaper apprenticeship in Scotland. For twenty years he commuted between New York and Europe as a political and cultural columnist for British newspapers. He now lives with his partner John Holm in a tiny village in the forests of rural Po ...more
More about Michael Pye...

“they were a closed society, not ready even for a biological intruder” 1 likes