Start by marking “Fefu and Her Friends” as Want to Read:
Fefu and Her Friends

Fefu and Her Friends

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  250 ratings  ·  16 reviews
This is one of the best-loved Off-Off-Broadway plays of recent decades. In the innovative original production, which Fornes herself directed, the audience follows the lives of eight women in five different "environments.” "Fornes is America's truest poet of the theater."—Erika Munk, Village Voice
Published July 1st 2001 by PAJ Publications (first published June 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Fefu and Her Friends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fefu and Her Friends

Allan
Jun 26, 2011 Allan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: plays
I first saw Fefu and Her Friends in production before I read it. While the production I saw certainly contributed to the performance that I found myself missing while reading because I knew that not everyone who read the script would ever be thinking of the production I saw, the script is so beautiful that I cannot help but wonder and ache thinking about all of the productions of this play that I myself have not seen. The writing is pitch perfect for performance: sparse enough to provide plent...more
Phillip
I think there's a lot about this play that I don't get from a first reading, I suspect I would need to see it well performed (which I think I've said about the past several plays I've written reviews of here). However, I do like the shifts in staging, which is a really cool feature of this particular play. The play consists of three sections, the first and third in a living room, while the second takes place in four different places--the lawn, the study, the bedroom, and the kitchen--and the aud...more
Robert Beveridge
Maria Irene Fornes, Fefu and Her Friends (PAJ Publications, 1978)

Okay, I will admit it right up front: I have absolutely no idea what is going on in the last act of this play, and I have done absolutely no digging on the web in order to uncover any random “what does this mean?” threads that might be hanging around. I simply let it wash over me and took it based on its merits as a written document. I should probably go looking at some point, because I liked it enough anyway to give it a strong re...more
Sarah-Ruth
fascinating set-up, to moving the audience to different scenes simultaneously. I definitely need to read it again, there are so many subtleties to take in.
Sarah Barry
This is play is very strange, but for some reason I love it. It's really hard to explain unless you read it, but I would definitely recommend it.
Tatiface
I really loved this one!
Andrew Hackler
Fefu and Her Friends is an intriguing work of Feminist fiction that grabs the audience and shows them the life of the feminist in mid-1930’s. This play gives light to the feminist struggle to fight against oppression. It shows the toll that the feminist takes. What this play taught me as a writer is the usage of audience. This play moves the audience from scene to scene a method of participation I might have never come up with the idea.
Danya
Aug 17, 2012 Danya rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: plays
There were a few excellent monologues and it was a truly thought provoking piece, but I spent most of the play confused and frustrated. I think I might enjoy this more when I'm a bit older. It's interesting, but not necessarily recommended.
Dinah
If I ever have access to a spacious city loft, eight talented women actors who can be in a room together, and a couple thousand bucks in search of a project, this is absolutely my play of choice. Fornes is a BAMF.
Carol
Totally abstract... Odd. A.maze.ing. Monologues. HAVE to do one of them (near the end, death and guardians beautiful) pretty words, pretty friendships, surreal outcomes.
Lana
This powerful and subtly feminist piece has some very powerful moments in it. Would be a fantastic play to experiment with.
Rachel
Strange little play from the surrealist 70s. Made me think, even if I don't quite know what.
Bronwyn
Sep 21, 2007 Bronwyn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves bizarre theatre.
Shelves: plays, favorite
My favorite play of all time...
Roy Perez
Aug 04, 2007 Roy Perez rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who thinks theater is sexist and boring
changed my mode of reading.
Ben
I loved this play. It did really innovative stuff with staging while not doing too much to scare an audience away. I was also struck by the relevance of a play written in the 60s about the 30s in todays world.
Lauren
4-4.5
Esther
Esther marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Kelly
Kelly is currently reading it
Sep 09, 2014
Nia
Nia added it
Jul 31, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Maria Brusco
Maria Brusco marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Dorie
Dorie added it
Jul 05, 2014
Plays: Maria Irene Fornes The Conduct of Life Promenade and Other Plays Abingdon Square What of the Night?: Selected Plays