Ain't I a Woman!

Ain't I a Woman!

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  254 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Spanning the centuries from Sappho's Greece to modern South Africa, the voices of these women poets express themes of love, motherhood, injustice, loss, and racial and sexual oppression. The sequence of the poems moves from youth to old age, and they bear witness to the triumphs as well as the pain and frustration of women in many times and in many places. Among the poets...more
Published September 1st 1999 by McGraw-Hill (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Ain't I a Woman!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ain't I a Woman!

Cami
This started with such promise.
This is a collection of poetry by women from around the world. It was originally compiled for theatrical performance by the editor with the poems doing a 'call and answer' bit. With this in mind, I decided to read it straight through. Amongst the great and good there was also enough muck to take the pleasure of the poetry out of it for me.
This will remain unfinished.
Sincerae
A collection of poems not only written by women from around the world but by women from different eras. The title comes from a speech of the ex-slave and abolitionist Sojourner Truth.
Kt
Most people who are going to find this book probably have at least a cursory background in women/race/class studies, and I don't think this book's poems offers many new perspectives from those fields. However, what this book does offer is a plethora of wonderful voices and words from around the world expressing ideas about those fields in particular relation to the "woman experience." Originally created for a one-woman-show (and I think useful to stage performers), the poems, over 150 of them, a...more
Charlane Brady
Beautiful poetry encompassing all emotions from women of all ages and throughout the world. Absolutely magical. I love giving this book as a gift.

I wish I could speak with each and every woman to listen to their story of life.

Here are a few short ones I love:

GRAND JETEE by Mary Mackey, USA

some rhythms must remain unbroken

like a dancer in an
arabsque
some women cannot carry
a child
in their arms

some come to salvation
drawn by the hands of small children

some can only make their leaps

alone.

SKIN-TEETH...more
Qu
Jenny Joseph – warning (1)
Cheryl Clarke – If you black get back (5)
Chirlane McCray – I used to think (23)
Nilene O.A.Foxworth – Sho nuff (28)
Maureen burge – Disillusion (43)
Invitation – grace Nichols (54)
Eva toth – the creation of the world (59)
Maya Angelou – they went home (66)
Mary Mackey – grand Jetee (90)
Moira O’Neill – Her Sister (91)
Jean Lipkin – Father (102)
Margaret Reckord – the Journey (102)
Frances W. Harper – Vashti (110)
Michelle T. Clinton - Anti Apart hate Art (121)
Marsha Prescod – Ant...more
Suzanne
I like this collection - I would love to see it on stage. Some of my favorite poems/poets are represented here.
Cathleen Ash
From Maya Angelous to Sappho, from Yolando Ulloa (Cuba) to Suniti Namjoshi (India), this book contains powerful writings by women and about women, both within the home, within the cultures, within the world. This book has its roots in the theatre, and in Sojourner Truth's famous speech of 1852. A love letter to Samson from Delila (by Carole Gregory) epitomizes the tone of this book: strong, daring, and finding humor where one can. Poetry readers will love it, young adult women will enjoy it!
Charmander
Turns out a love/sex/angst poem written by a Cuban woman is no different to one written by a Japanese woman, nor American woman. The romanticiztion of anything is utter tripe, so I really don't know what I expected. There were decent, fragmented poems here and there that did incite me to keep turning the page. However, I was largely unaffected by the anthology, save for Margaret Atwood's visceral, biting poem, titled, "A Woman's Issue."
Clarice
A very cultural diverse collection. What I'm most pleased about is I saw a display of Page Poetry at the Leonardo Museum the week before, where you create your own Poetry from whatever words hidden in the text speak to you. I pulled several pages from this book and have already started creating my poetry art. It was the perfect book to do this with.
Marilyn Burch
Some great poetry about the stages and seasons of a woman's life. I liked the variety from around the world and through time.
Michal Mahgerefteh
This is one of my favorite poetry collections about women collected from all backgrounds, cultues, religions. Most reflect on the struggles of women within family and community. I go back to this collection often.
Kaz
Unique exchange between women of many races, affirming their differences and what they have in common... I was moved beyond belief,in many different directions.
Mario
Getting in touch with my sisters and sistahs! The creativity is refreshing as is the outpouring of emotion! And I'm only halfway through the collection!
Meena
Well this book was a collection of poems from women around the world basically telling their stories, their personal opinions, and grievances with the world.
Each time I pick this book up, different poems speak to me. It's the best thing to keep by your bed for sleepless nights!
Lindsay
Dec 17, 2007 Lindsay rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Students doing Mr. Wood's anthology project
This anthology has many poems to fill the women author requirement for the students doing Mr. Wood's anthology project.
Carol Waters
I used one of these poems at my daughter's funeral.
Sonya
Sonya marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Kara Moore
Kara Moore marked it as to-read
Racquel Story
Racquel Story marked it as to-read
Stephanie Pennington
Stephanie Pennington marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Melissa  Jeanette
Melissa Jeanette marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Julia Winegeart
Julia Winegeart is currently reading it
Nbanks90
Nbanks90 marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Bliss
Bliss marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Tamara
Tamara is currently reading it
Aug 03, 2014
Rachel Swenson
Rachel Swenson marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
  • 180 More: Extraordinary Poems for Every Day
  • Ani DiFranco: Verses
  • Love Poems
  • The Language of Life: A Festival of Poets
  • Naked: Black Women Bare All About Their Skin, Hair, Hips, Lips, and Other Parts
  • The Art of Losing: Poems of Grief and Healing