Start by marking “Sojourner Truth: Ain't I a Woman?” as Want to Read:
Sojourner Truth: Ain't I a Woman?

Sojourner Truth: Ain't I a Woman?

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  464 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Published to coincide with African-American History Month, here is the stirring, award-winning biography of Sojourner Truth--preacher, abolitionist, and activist for the rights of African-Americans and women. A rich profile.--School Library Journal. A 1993 Coretta Scott King Honor Book.
Published January 1st 1994 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Sojourner Truth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sojourner Truth

Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankThe Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
Jezebel's Books All Women Should Read
97th out of 589 books — 1,062 voters
The Color Purple by Alice WalkerI Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya AngelouBeloved by Toni MorrisonInvisible Man by Ralph EllisonThe Autobiography of Malcolm X by Malcolm X
Black History Month
30th out of 302 books — 332 voters

More lists with this book...

Capri Butler
This book was really aewsome for me. like i never like history that much. But this book changed me to like history. This book talked about slavery and other thing. this one part that mad me sad a little was when her kids had to be taken away. I really didn't like that part at all because it was sad. But i really love this book very much.
Tatiana
I am not the kind of child who loves reading historical and non-fiction biographies...this book changed that for me. When I read this book I wanted to read more and more. I really felt the pain and struggle she went through and I hope others get a chance to read this amazing book!
Jamie
Main Character: Sojourner Truth
POV: Third Person Biography
Setting: New York
Grade level: upper elementary 3-5
Summary:
“Ain’t I a woman” was actually the name of a speech that Sojourner Truth gave in 1851 to the Women’s Convention in Akron, Ohio. This book is the biography of Sojourner Truth. I knew that the woman was slave, but I am ashamed to admit how much she accomplished in her life. She was a very powerful speaker. She was an avid abolitionist and a supporter of all women’s rights. She was b
Larisha
This great book begins with the birth of Sojourner Truth... taking the reader all the way through her life. We learn about her as a slave, as a free woman, as a preacher, an abolitionist, and an activist for the rights of both blacks and women.

I Loved the section of the book where a woman asked Belle her name and 2 John 1 - 4 came to her mind - where it says "It has given me great joy to find some of your children walking in the truth just as the father commanded us." After thinking a'bit she th
Mr. Kovach
I enjoyed this book very much. I always enjoy it when I come across a book about a famous figure in history, a name I know I've heard of before, but about whom I know very little. Such was the case when in our classroom a few weeks ago I came across this book about Soujourner Truth. I KNEW she was famous as a civil rights activist, but I didn't know much more than that. After reading this book I surely do know more, and I realize why she is still famous today. She was born a slave, eventually be ...more
Charlotte
This book told about everything Sojourner really cared about.It wasn't just a short summary of Sojourner's life.It was a description of everything Sojourner did.There is no reason to deduct a star, so I will not.

Sojourner was born a slave girl named Isabella.Her parents shortened it to Belle. Belle did lots of hard work on the plantation.But one day, her master broke a promise to her, and she walked away to a quaker's house.There she began her journey_ and quest for freedom. She did many amazing
Kelly
This is a wonderful biography for kids. I enjoyed every bit of it. I read this immediately after reading "The Invention of Wings", by Sue Monk Kidd. I am fascinated (which I feel is an inappropriate word, nevertheless...) by the topic of slavery in America and am currently reading "12 Years a Slave" by Solomon Northup.
Abigail Bereket
Sojourner Truth
Ain't I a women?

Sojourner Truth was born as a slave. Her real was Isabella, but her parents called her Belle. She changed her name to Sojourner truth after being a free women. Sojourner was a strong women and new how to fight for something she wanted. She did everything she could to stop things, even when she was a very old lady. She made so many friend in her journey of truth. She was a preacher. She would always start with “Well children.” She has an autobiography. She died at
Samera Palmer
I liked this book because it was very informational. For example in 1897 a slave lsabella was born in New York(1-5).I also liked this book because it inform about things I never knew. For example Turth was a preacher,an abolitionist(20-25)
I believe that Ms.Gutner would like this if she likes informational books. I also think that she like this book because she is a soical studies teacher.
One challenge that I had was trying to figure out what point of view they author is talking in.
Truth is
Adriel
Fascinating story of the life on an extraordinary woman. It is interesting to see and understand the experience of a slave and the way it affected her family. While I have heard many narratives of the experience of slavery, this one struck me because her young son, abused and mistreated by owners responded in the way many modern abused young men respond: with an tendency toward wild behavior. Overall very good, although the pictures and illustrations do not really match the text, which is a litt ...more
sarafem
Juvenile bio is a hard genre, especially once out of the picture book category. This is a fifth grade level chapter book, so in theory it should have bored the reader to tears, and sometimes it did. But I learned so much about this amazing woman and found myself thinking I had to get this back on the library shelf in hopes that a student would come across it and find themselves as inspired as I was. Boring or not, that's what makes a good juvenile chapter bio.
Carolyn Szoke
This should be required reading for every American. The former slave, Sojouner Truth was truly endowed with exceptional courage
And faith for the times. I am not generally moved by expressions of faith however this woman was truly inspirational I cannot imagine leaving every source of support and family in order to embark on a journey that would enlighten thousands and change the course of history. It would truly have been a privilege to know her

Valerie
I'm pretty sure this isn't the edition I read.

Sojourner Truth was a self-taught preacher, an escaped slave, an abolitionist, an advocate for women's rights, and from what I can tell, a committed pacifist. The 'Ain't I a woman' speech is deservedly remembered, and a good thorough biography is in order. Whether this edition is that biography, I don't know--earlier versions tended to be (perhaps understandably) a bit patchy.
Mckinley
SJ is my newest and latest hero(ine). What an amazing women. (And yes she was a woman!) I have her biography on my to-read list.
An interesting comparison to the other slavery books I've read lately. Both young adult as was this biography. The fictitious story by O'dell, My Name Is Not Angelica, well researched but still fiction. And the Slave Dancer by Paula Fox about a boy kidnapped to work on a slaver ship.
Corrie
Apr 12, 2008 Corrie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everybody
Shelves: gender-studies
My local bookstore had this on display for Women's History Month, and it was fantastic! I loved reading the story of Sojourner's life--she is an incredibly inspiring person.

It's short enough to read on one plane ride (including waiting in the airport), and so riveting that you won't even want to chat with your seatmate.
Linda
Found this for sale at the library and bought for the kids. I couldn't pass up the chance to learn about her myself. I'm glad I did but it was definitely a kids book and very choppy. Great to learn about such an amazing woman though! What an incredible story of fighting for what she believed in.
Dela
I new nothing about Sojourner Truth until I read this book. She travelled from state to state telling the story of how she was born a slave and became free. Sojourner had an unbreakable spirit, boundless wisdom, and the political connections to spread the message against slavery.
Rena Searles
Portrait of a courageous woman who was born a slave and died a voice for abolishing slavery and women's suffrage. Just an amazing person with a towering presence! She was illiterate but spoke eloquently and directly. She knew the bible by heart. Comprehensive biography....
Catherine
I wish I could have meet this remarkable woman. This book is easy for a younger reader to follow, yet gives enough information to teach and inspire. Sojourner Truth is an example of strength, endurance, courage, and wit.
Cheryl S.
I'd been curious about Sojourner Truth for a long time as I knew little about her other than she was an abolishionist. This is a simple informative read and gave insight into her incredible faith and bravery.
SL
Read this YA book because it was the only one I had immediate access to and because I knew virtually nothing about her. Fascinating. Who knew she was essentially Dutch?
Dexter/Persy
While I do like Sojourner Truth, there's no avoiding the fact that this book is just poorly written and a pain to read.
Doglover1396
good book Sojourner is a strong woman who is part of the reason that people are together and not rascist
Kelly
What an amazing woman Sojourner Truth was! This is a great nonfiction book for kids.
Tracy Bailey
Well written. McKissack makes this amazing story of a powerful woman accessible.
Erotic Horizon
Sojourner Truth: Ain't I A Woman (Scholastic Biography) by Patricia C. Mckissack (1994)
Sammi
Very intspirational as a woman. Well, inspirational for all people I suppose. Loved it.
Uma
A wonderful story of a courageous woman, very inspirational :)

Kendra Beth
Excellent read. Very easy and quick, but the history was absolutely awesome!
Valerie
great book to understand the African American experience and a STRONG woman!
  • Minty: A Story of Young Harriet Tubman
  • Teammates
  • Stolen into Slavery: The True Story of Solomon Northup, Free Black Man
  • Howl: Original Draft Facsimile
  • The Patchwork Path: A Quilt Map to Freedom
  • The First Woman Doctor: The Story of Elizabeth Blackwell, M.D.
  • Carver: A Life in Poems
  • Viviendo
  • I Am a Star: Child of the Holocaust
A Picture of Freedom: The Diary of Clotee, a Slave Girl, Belmont Plantation, Virginia 1859 (Dear America) Nzingha: Warrior Queen of Matamba, Angola, Africa, 1595 (Royal Diaries #6) Color Me Dark: The Diary of Nellie Lee Love, the Great Migration North, Chicago, Illinois, 1919 (Dear America) Goin' Someplace Special The Clone Codes (The Clone Codes, #1)