Start by marking “Turn of the Century” as Want to Read:
Turn of the Century

Turn of the Century

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  277 ratings  ·  31 reviews
The millennium is here.BarbieWorld has opened in Vegas. Charles Manson's parole hearing is on live TV.And George and Lizzie are a Manhattan power couple with three kids in private school and take-out from Hiroshima Boy waiting at the door.Lizzie owns a software start-up.George is a TV producer.With cell phones tickling their thighs and gossip buzzing in their ears, their f ...more
Published July 11th 2000 by Random House Trade Paperbacks (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Turn of the Century, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Turn of the Century

Caroline
Bill Gusky
Interesting boom-time book, ultimately not much more than a soap opera involving media makers and big business.
Tim Basuino
This book really should get a 3.5, or if there were a 10 star system, 7 stars. I was pondering as to whether to assign three or four stars, eventually settling on four, because:

1) In spite of it being a 1999 timepiece, it translated well to 2014.
2) It didn't pretend to have any heroes, a constant irritation of mine with various bestsellers.
3) It seemed a particularly adequate representation of the media, both then and now.

While some compared this to "Bonfire Of The Vanities" (Which I'd give five
Al Young
This book gets a lot of comparison to Tom Wolfe and and his Bonfire of the Vanities. It's been a few years since I read Bonfire, but I really liked it, and am a big fan of Wolfe. Turn... got some good recommendations and user reviews on Amazon peg it as a book that people either love or hate (a good sign, I think). It purports to do what Bonfire does except for the internet generation.

I don't want to turn anyway from this book, but it just wasn't for me. On the positive side, Andersen is a pret
Erin
I've been meaning to read this since it was published....in 1999. Sad. And I wish I had read it earlier as it's definitely a bit dated now (It's always tough to read a pre-2001 book that is set in New York City. However it's amusing to see the things that Andersen predicted that now exist, and don't), but it's still a great book, in the great-American-novel-of-the-moment category, like Jonathan Franzen's Freedom. It's looooong, though, so be prepared and the ending is a little too happily-ever-a ...more
Andrea
Turn of the Century was a much better read after the actual turn of the century, when I read it again a week ago. It was released in 1999, it's set in 2000/2001, and a dozen years later so much rings true. Only he didn't really "get" the potential of the internet back then. It's not as prescient as Super Sad Love Story, but in parts at least as entertaining, in a very grown-up way, sincere. Great scenes involving the development and production of a TV news show, and a Silicon Alley upstart. I wa ...more
MJ
I really did enjoy this book. His writing style is clean and snarky, and his characters are vividly drawn. He really captures the feel of the city at the time. As the book was published in 1999, the story is set in the near future, and on so many things he was eerily prescient. But unfortunately real-world events overtook the book, and every casual mention of the World Trade Center just grabbed at my heart. Perhaps that's unfair, but now, 11 years after the year 2000, despite all the details he ...more
Gobasso
I had very extreme reactions to this book. I loved the way the author skewered the norms of our present day society. I had a terrible time empathizing with the characters and almost stopped reading the book because of their lack of appeal. It is unfortunate that this book about 2001 was written before 2001 and the 9/11 events. In hind sight it suffers from some triviality because of the changes experienced after that day. I think I will try another title by this author but I can't recommend this ...more
Barry
A personal reaction - not a review: I couldn't really relate to the central characters (rich, successful, married with children New York entertainmnet and IT professionals). So although the book was nicely unpretentious, and mostly entertaining and amusing, I wouldn't have finished it if I'd not had time to kill. Oh, and as a side benefit it does do a good job of illustrating the insanity of the stock markets and their effect on the behviour of publicly listed corporations.
Siobheann
Achingly clever and funny. Set in the early 2000's - if you have every worked for a big corporation or pllayed buzz word bingo in a boring meeting...you will love this. Very clever. Very LA. Some big words I didn't know. Not an easy read, but VERY enjoyable!!

If you read Hello, like gadgets, movies, name dropping - give this a go.

I bought it in a second hand book shop in York. The reviews on the back are impressive and I can see why.
cheeseblab
I read this when it was more or less new and found it guffawingly funny. Same again, though I'd forgotten how painfully sad it also is, as we watch the ideal couple whom we love dearly fall prey to suspicion and envy and drift toward a seemingly inevitable breakup.

Also the source of a catchphrase I've used for the past decade-plus: "Is that a good thing or a bad thing, Daddy?"
Mary
got thru it, but I felt like it took forever. (It was a month actually) Almost like there wasn't really a story, just situations occurring. However, I read it 13 years after the fact, so perhaps some of the impact got lost because I have lived so far past the time being written about.

Bret
Consistently hilarious. It seems like, reading it today, this book should be dated, since it takes place ten years ago and is full of old buzzwords about the internet/digital media/etc, but all in all is well written enough to avoid dragging throughout it's rather extensive length.
Cj
I'll admit to not finishing this book. After reading more than 200 pages of this dense tome I put it down. It was going nowhere. It was filling with characters that I didn't care and who grew more and more outrageous as the book went on. It's nicely written, but plodding.
Dean
Clever writing style - especially in the way he uses cultural references. You get the sense that he knows the two worlds his main characters inhabit (Broadcast TV and Computer Gaming) very well. The Characters a pretty generic though and the story a little flat.
Michelle
Oct 31, 2007 Michelle rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Beth, Gina
Andersen's take on the turn into the 21st century was poignant and fantastically hillarious. He criticizes modern trends in child rearing, dot-com boom and bust, mobile phone craze and dedication. Although it was lengthy, the pace was quick, and never missed a beat.
Kim
I hate to give up on a book but I could not finish this one. After reading almost 200 pages, I still did not find it interesting and did not get involved with the characters. It seemed dated after only 13 years.
VeganMedusa
Unfortunately, this is the kind of book that's very of its time (the year 2000). Fortunately, to an old codger like me, the year 2000 was just last week.
Christine
I Didn't really finish - I couldn't even make it through chapter 2! The writing style, and probably the subject matter, did not engage me at all. Boo
Brian
Oct 15, 2011 Brian marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I'm more necessarily interested in this book, but as a placeholder for a book he'll be writing in the future. Recommended by mike van wagoner
Neil
Not exactly compelling, can't put down reading, but worth it for the occasional gem of an observation or just right, turn of phrase.
Janet
Great narrative and characters bring to life the fantastic collision of media, Wall Street, and the fast paced life at the turn.
Sallie Gouverneur
audacious, funny, cleverly structured and written, after all,with a good heart under all that cynicism and shrewd observation
Sebastian
Das Buch ist extrem langatmig und nicht schön zu lesen. Allerdings ist Geschichte auf eine ganz eigene Art fesselnd.
Bill Keithler
A hugely underrated novel which anticipated large shifts in pop culture over the past decade.
Meredith
I LOVED this book. It may actually be the Great American Novel.
Esther
I never finished this book as I just could not get into it.
Jack
Splendid novel of the dot-com/new-media boom/bust.
Pam
Jul 03, 2008 Pam marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
06/29/08 purchase from library book sale room
Eve
A BIG book. I enjoyed every word.
  • When Winter Returns (Rosie Winter, #4)
  • Superheroes
  • Counting Up, Counting Down
  • Tuff
  • Hamlet on the Holodeck: The Future of Narrative in Cyberspace
  • A Theft
  • De kraai
  • The Conquerors: Roosevelt, Truman & the Destruction of Hitler's Germany 1941-45
  • Toward the End of Time
  • Theories of Flight (Samuil Petrovitch, #2)
  • Bruce Springsteen: Two Hearts, the Story
  • If You Are Afraid of Heights
  • Foul!: The Secret World of Fifa: Bribes, Vote Rigging and Ticket Scandals
  • NYC: New York City Guide
  • Vienna Waltz (Charles & Mélanie Fraser #3)
  • Designing Virtual Worlds
  • Love Among the Ruins: A Novel
  • Perfect Weight: The Complete Mind-Body Program for Achieving and Maintaining Your Ideal Weight
Kurt Andersen is the author of three novels -- Heyday (a New York Times bestseller and winner of the 2008 Langum Prize for historical fiction), Turn of the Century (a national bestseller and New York Times Notable Book), and the new True Believers.

He is also host of the Peabody Award-winning weekly public radio program Studio 360, and a contributing editor to Vanity Fair.

Previously, Kurt was a co
More about Kurt Andersen...
True Believers Heyday Reset: How This Crisis Can Restore Our Values and Renew America The Real Thing: A Book That Separates the Men from the Boys, and the Wheat from the Chaff, and the Bogus from the Bona Fide American Icons-The Disney Parks: Welcome to an Alternate Reality Precision-Designed for the Pursuit of Happiness