Start by marking “Model Behaviour” as Want to Read:

Model Behaviour

3.17 of 5 stars 3.17  ·  rating details  ·  909 ratings  ·  44 reviews
The master of social satire stylishly cuts apart the image obsessed 80s culture
Paperback
Published April 1st 1999 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Model Behaviour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Model Behaviour

lizz westman
Apr 25, 2007 lizz westman rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: drunk people on planes
i read this while drunk on a plane. i liked it a lot then. not sure if i still would.
Brendan
This is going to sound dickish, but I really love reading great author's least-great works. I love watching them struggle with being pigeonheld. I love them writing down bad ideas. I love when an author becomes so famous that all they can think about is the thoughts and emotions of a famous writer.
Patrick
Judy Mann
This guy would be a good writer if he just stopped writing. It's all so damn worked on , and re- worked on, and then CLEVER-he is trying so hard to be clever "did you get that sentence? Clever, aren't I? I AM JUST SO CLEVER.Do you want me to write it again..?" Maybe with a little twist..of clever..?"It's almost impossible to read.Too bad because like I said - f he wasn't so busy being "Writerly" he'd probably be a good writer.That's it.JM
York
Una de las cosas que amé de esta novela es que no esperaba nada de ella y terminó dejándome un montón de frases memorables en medio de toda esa comedia del absurdo. Similar a Bret Easton Ellis, pero sin la hiperviolencia ni la obsesión por los detalles descriptivos, lo que lo vuelve tremendamente digerible y divertido. Es como una bolsa de doritos nachos.

Aquí las mejores citas del libro:

M
This book was clever, and witty in places. However, being clever and witty is no good if you don't have a story to tell.

It started fairly brightly, and then just turned into the Boring Bateman. I almost gave it an extra star for the part about how everyone has a celebrity nemesis. Glad it's not just me.

Ps. Mine is Taylor Swift.
Rowan
Nov 10, 2008 Rowan rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2008
It's like a college creative writing student wanted to update Bright Lights, Big City for the 90s and decided that the second-person narrative would be too difficult to hack.
another mcinerney book where there is a dude with an almost intellectual job in NYC who fucks models and has a platonic relationship with anorexic intellectual girl (in this case his sister, with whom the narrator deveops some kind of creepy incestuous subtext). Model-fucking dude has an almost respectably intellectual profession (in this case he is working on his screenplay while employed for a stupid celebrity gossip magazine) and hangs out with some writer guy. Funny hijinx ensue (bathroom bl ...more
Myles
Model Behavior does come back to the territory of Bright Lights, Big City, but only in a superficial way: writer in New York loses his model girlfriend, has family troubles (and a paragraph or two written in second person). It is altogether a much quicker book to get through divided as it is into dozens of headlined sections like those of the cheap woman's magazine Connor McKnight works for.

It is that quickness, that lightness, that separates this book from Ransom and Story of My Life, which had
Steve Kettmann
My S.F. Chronicle review from 1998:

It's hard to escape the feeling, reading the latest from the author of ``Bright Lights, Big City,'' that Jay McInerney really wanted to write a novel about a good-looking, model-dating Manhattan-based writer, still fighting the hangover of early success, who falls into a crisis over whether fiction-writing is meaningless.
McInerney actually does weigh in with ``Model Behavior,'' a 174-page novelette about a model- dating trash-magazine writer whose life is fall
Ridley {Paperland}
Una lectura muy diferente a lo que solia leer. Era bastante extraño, al principio me costaba, me aburria, era casi insoportable. Los personajes me caian mal de sobremanera (en especial Philomena).
Volvi a retomar en libro este mes. Lo pude terminar.
No se como explicarlo, ha sido... oh no lo se.
No puedo decir que ha sido el mejor libro de este genero que he leido. Pero si puedo decir que me ha sorprendido. No se centra en la trama, es mas, a ser sinceros es una trama bastante aburrida. Solo un par
Joe
With Model Behavior Jay McInerney revisits that tired assed genre of writing he and Bret Easton Ellis helped to create. You know what I'm talking about. That genre of bored disaffected rich 20/30-somethings who whine incessantly about how awful their lives are while fucking, drinking, and drugging non-stop. Well, that genre is dead. It's over. It's like, soooo 1987.

When this was released in 1998 it totally slipped under my radar so maybe it would have been a bit more relevant reading it then ins
Stefani
This book was fairly bad. Although Jay McInerney seems to have cornered the market on writing about disaffected NY'ers (along with Bret Easton Ellis)I'm not sure that kind of character still has relevance today or even in the year it was written (1998?). Unlike the protagonist in "Bright Lights, Big City", the main character is not at all likable or quirky. He's a writer for a celebrity tabloid, despite having an advanced degree in Japanese culture. And he has a model for a girlfriend. So, what' ...more
Betsy
Blah, blah, blah...couldn't get into it at all.
Ray
I really liked Bright Lights, Big City despite the fact that my sympathy for a somewhat well-off, spurned white straight man was minimal. However, that work really took a portrait of a period of time in the US in the 80s in a way that seemed meaningful. BL, BC used perspective really well and made second-person narration work.

It is for these reasons that Model Behavior was readable. No doubt this is well written too, but the plot and themes that McInerney chose to focus on just weren't as intere
Victor
3 1/2. Not his most original, but a very fun read :-)
Christie
I read this book because I enjoy McInerney's writing on wine. He is a humorous writer, and I thought I would appreciate him as a novelist as well. Maybe because this book takes place in a very NYC setting (not my scene) and in the modeling and glamour magazine world, I didn't relate to it. But I did like The Devil Wears Prada, so maybe that isn't a good excuse.

Either way, I was a bit disappointed in this book. It was an easy read, but to be honest, I can't even recall the ending.
Brett
I really like Jay McInerney. Almost everything he writes is great. This was my least favorite novel of his. He based it on an earlier short story (like basically all of his novels), but it didn't meet his high standards. The writing is good and fun, like normal, but the plot didn't move me. The best parts of this novel are found in the original short story. If you haven't read McInerney start with Brightness Falls (though Bright Lights, Big City is by far his most influential work).
Nattynatty
Apr 15, 2013 Nattynatty rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Nattynatty by: Bret Easton Ellis
Good easy to read book. I actually bought it 2nd hand to have whilst cloistered and quitting smoking. So it served it's purpose. It's a tad boring for my liking; the first McInerney book I've read after hearing about him in BEE'( Bret Easton Ellis) books. I couldn't help but make the comparison between the two authors. Overall, this book has a lot of mileage and can be reread a few times ( as it is fairly un memorable)- probably good for a beach read/ holiday read.
Matt Micheli
Jay Mcinerney delivers yet again, placing a literary spin into a minimalist world. Picture Bret Ellis with a larger vocabulary. I highly recommend any and all of his works.
Cindy Lord
Light and fluffy dick-lit, so irrelevant.
Kate SouthernBelleSimple
I enjoyed this book and parts of it made me laugh out loud. It is kind of a pre-Sex & the City look at NY...the glamorous lifestyles, fashion, etc. One thing that was strange was the POV shifts that took place (made it a little confusing at first) but I stuck with it and am glad I can add it to my already-read list.
Tina
Typical McInerney book. Unique writing style, wine references, Irish/Waspy conflicts, Dad issues. But overall a great book - quick read that keeps you engaged, laughing and getting a feel for what NYC was to the (trying to be) glamorous in the mid-nineties.
Kurt
Bright Lights, Big City a few years down the road with different people. McInerney is growing more jaded, or is that just growing older? Or perhaps I am growing more cynical in my readings and have discovered something out about myself in this four sentence review?
Amanda Patterson
Bright Lights, Big City exposed the drug culture of the 1980's.
Model explores and destroys the myths and any romantic fancies anyone may still harbour about supermodels of the 1980's -1990's.
Vintage McInerney.
One of my favourite authors.
Very good book.
J
Jay's books have a tendency to yield numerous quotable passages about living in Manhattan--it's too bad that most of them make me intensely depressed and lead to longing for the simpler days of living in the midwest.
Bianca
The last book I'd read was "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks", so reading this was a little like eating gummy bears after a three-star meal. I do like McInerney's prose, but the storyline felt a little chopped.
Jo
I enjoyed reading this and the writing kept me turning the pages. The story wasn't anything too original or special, but it was still an enjoyable book.
Tonya
One of my all time favorite books! McInerney has such a voice. If the house were to ever burn down, this is the one I'm grabbing before I jump out the window.
Steph
Pretty good. Again, a sense of morality--twisted or not--that weaves it way into the story. Not as pressured as Bright Lights, Big City. A nice read.
  • Never Mind Nirvana: A Novel
  • Sudden Fiction International: 60 Short Stories
  • Personal Velocity
  • The Judges of the Secret Court
  • The Man Who Wasn't There
John Barrett McInerney Jr. is an American writer. His novels include Bright Lights, Big City, Ransom, Story of My Life, Brightness Falls, and The Last of the Savages. He edited The Penguin Book of New American Voices, wrote the screenplay for the 1988 film adaptation of Bright Lights, Big City, and co-wrote the screenplay for the television film Gia, which starred Angelina Jolie. He is the wine co ...more
More about Jay McInerney...
Bright Lights, Big City Story of My Life Brightness Falls The Good Life The Last Of The Savages