Start by marking “Model Behaviour” as Want to Read:

Model Behaviour

3.19  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,006 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
The master of social satire stylishly cuts apart the image obsessed 80s culture
Paperback
Published April 1st 1999 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Model Behaviour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Model Behaviour

lizz westman
Apr 25, 2007 lizz westman rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: drunk people on planes
i read this while drunk on a plane. i liked it a lot then. not sure if i still would.
Brendan
Jan 30, 2010 Brendan rated it it was amazing
This is going to sound dickish, but I really love reading great author's least-great works. I love watching them struggle with being pigeonheld. I love them writing down bad ideas. I love when an author becomes so famous that all they can think about is the thoughts and emotions of a famous writer.
Yolanda Gorman
Jan 13, 2016 Yolanda Gorman rated it really liked it
Patrick
Dec 27, 2008 Patrick rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008
Judy Mann
Mar 15, 2015 Judy Mann rated it it was ok
This guy would be a good writer if he just stopped writing. It's all so damn worked on , and re- worked on, and then CLEVER-he is trying so hard to be clever "did you get that sentence? Clever, aren't I? I AM JUST SO CLEVER.Do you want me to write it again..?" Maybe with a little twist..of clever..?"It's almost impossible to read.Too bad because like I said - f he wasn't so busy being "Writerly" he'd probably be a good writer.That's it.JM
Steven
May 22, 2016 Steven rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, satire, american
Loved 'Bright Lights,Big City'and have lost count how many times I have read it mainly because it was a bit rough around the edges, really funny, and captured the vibe of 80's New York similar to what Bret Easton Ellis did with American Psycho, so I was disappointed with this as felt McInerney was almost trying to hard, it was too polished and clever for it's own good like he was trying to write an Easton Ellis novel instead of his own and with self indulgent characters who quite frankly were ju ...more
Ben
Oct 13, 2015 Ben rated it liked it
Shelves: literary-novels
Conor is a struggling writer in 1990’s New York. He has an enviable life, a model girlfriend, writes well received articles for well-received magazines, but it doesn’t seem to be enough.

His friends include the reclusive, but championed short-story writer Jeremy Green whose own story is something of a novel in it’s own right. Brook, Conor’s sister is too busy caring about the rest of the world, that she cannot see her own life falling apart around her, whilst Conor’s Parents offer concerned suppo
York
Apr 26, 2013 York rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una de las cosas que amé de esta novela es que no esperaba nada de ella y terminó dejándome un montón de frases memorables en medio de toda esa comedia del absurdo. Similar a Bret Easton Ellis, pero sin la hiperviolencia ni la obsesión por los detalles descriptivos, lo que lo vuelve tremendamente digerible y divertido. Es como una bolsa de doritos nachos.

Aquí las mejores citas del libro:

M
Sep 19, 2013 M rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was clever, and witty in places. However, being clever and witty is no good if you don't have a story to tell.

It started fairly brightly, and then just turned into the Boring Bateman. I almost gave it an extra star for the part about how everyone has a celebrity nemesis. Glad it's not just me.

Ps. Mine is Taylor Swift.
Rowan
Nov 10, 2008 Rowan rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2008
It's like a college creative writing student wanted to update Bright Lights, Big City for the 90s and decided that the second-person narrative would be too difficult to hack.
Tonya
May 16, 2009 Tonya rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favorite books! McInerney has such a voice. If the house were to ever burn down, this is the one I'm grabbing before I jump out the window.
May 27, 2009 Sarah rated it liked it
another mcinerney book where there is a dude with an almost intellectual job in NYC who fucks models and has a platonic relationship with anorexic intellectual girl (in this case his sister, with whom the narrator deveops some kind of creepy incestuous subtext). Model-fucking dude has an almost respectably intellectual profession (in this case he is working on his screenplay while employed for a stupid celebrity gossip magazine) and hangs out with some writer guy. Funny hijinx ensue (bathroom bl ...more
Myles
Model Behavior does come back to the territory of Bright Lights, Big City, but only in a superficial way: writer in New York loses his model girlfriend, has family troubles (and a paragraph or two written in second person). It is altogether a much quicker book to get through divided as it is into dozens of headlined sections like those of the cheap woman's magazine Connor McKnight works for.

It is that quickness, that lightness, that separates this book from Ransom and Story of My Life, which had
Steve Kettmann
May 02, 2010 Steve Kettmann rated it liked it
My S.F. Chronicle review from 1998:

It's hard to escape the feeling, reading the latest from the author of ``Bright Lights, Big City,'' that Jay McInerney really wanted to write a novel about a good-looking, model-dating Manhattan-based writer, still fighting the hangover of early success, who falls into a crisis over whether fiction-writing is meaningless.
McInerney actually does weigh in with ``Model Behavior,'' a 174-page novelette about a model- dating trash-magazine writer whose life is fall
Ridley {Paperland}
Una lectura muy diferente a lo que solia leer. Era bastante extraño, al principio me costaba, me aburria, era casi insoportable. Los personajes me caian mal de sobremanera (en especial Philomena).
Volvi a retomar en libro este mes. Lo pude terminar.
No se como explicarlo, ha sido... oh no lo se.
No puedo decir que ha sido el mejor libro de este genero que he leido. Pero si puedo decir que me ha sorprendido. No se centra en la trama, es mas, a ser sinceros es una trama bastante aburrida. Solo un par
Joe
Sep 15, 2009 Joe rated it did not like it
With Model Behavior Jay McInerney revisits that tired assed genre of writing he and Bret Easton Ellis helped to create. You know what I'm talking about. That genre of bored disaffected rich 20/30-somethings who whine incessantly about how awful their lives are while fucking, drinking, and drugging non-stop. Well, that genre is dead. It's over. It's like, soooo 1987.

When this was released in 1998 it totally slipped under my radar so maybe it would have been a bit more relevant reading it then ins
Stefani
This book was fairly bad. Although Jay McInerney seems to have cornered the market on writing about disaffected NY'ers (along with Bret Easton Ellis)I'm not sure that kind of character still has relevance today or even in the year it was written (1998?). Unlike the protagonist in "Bright Lights, Big City", the main character is not at all likable or quirky. He's a writer for a celebrity tabloid, despite having an advanced degree in Japanese culture. And he has a model for a girlfriend. So, what' ...more
Ned Miles
Mar 15, 2016 Ned Miles rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 90s
McInerney really is paper-thin. The more I read of him, the less I think he's commentating on cliche and the more I think he's pandering to it.
Betsy
Apr 25, 2014 Betsy rated it did not like it
Blah, blah, blah...couldn't get into it at all.
Ray
Dec 05, 2007 Ray rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked Bright Lights, Big City despite the fact that my sympathy for a somewhat well-off, spurned white straight man was minimal. However, that work really took a portrait of a period of time in the US in the 80s in a way that seemed meaningful. BL, BC used perspective really well and made second-person narration work.

It is for these reasons that Model Behavior was readable. No doubt this is well written too, but the plot and themes that McInerney chose to focus on just weren't as intere
Victor
Apr 13, 2015 Victor rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 1/2. Not his most original, but a very fun read :-)
Christie
Jun 06, 2009 Christie rated it it was ok
I read this book because I enjoy McInerney's writing on wine. He is a humorous writer, and I thought I would appreciate him as a novelist as well. Maybe because this book takes place in a very NYC setting (not my scene) and in the modeling and glamour magazine world, I didn't relate to it. But I did like The Devil Wears Prada, so maybe that isn't a good excuse.

Either way, I was a bit disappointed in this book. It was an easy read, but to be honest, I can't even recall the ending.
Brett
Mar 09, 2013 Brett rated it liked it
I really like Jay McInerney. Almost everything he writes is great. This was my least favorite novel of his. He based it on an earlier short story (like basically all of his novels), but it didn't meet his high standards. The writing is good and fun, like normal, but the plot didn't move me. The best parts of this novel are found in the original short story. If you haven't read McInerney start with Brightness Falls (though Bright Lights, Big City is by far his most influential work).
Nattynatty
Apr 15, 2013 Nattynatty rated it liked it
Recommended to Nattynatty by: Bret Easton Ellis
Good easy to read book. I actually bought it 2nd hand to have whilst cloistered and quitting smoking. So it served it's purpose. It's a tad boring for my liking; the first McInerney book I've read after hearing about him in BEE'( Bret Easton Ellis) books. I couldn't help but make the comparison between the two authors. Overall, this book has a lot of mileage and can be reread a few times ( as it is fairly un memorable)- probably good for a beach read/ holiday read.
Matt Micheli
Jan 15, 2014 Matt Micheli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jay Mcinerney delivers yet again, placing a literary spin into a minimalist world. Picture Bret Ellis with a larger vocabulary. I highly recommend any and all of his works.
Cindy Lord
Jan 17, 2014 Cindy Lord rated it it was ok
Light and fluffy dick-lit, so irrelevant.
Anne
Apr 19, 2015 Anne rated it liked it
I liked this novel but I must say that it wasn't that great. Other Mcinnerney novels are MUCH better than this one...this one was just mediocre.
The writing is clever (as always) but I think the plot was a little lacking and quite predictable.
I loved his characters...they had such personality. They saved the story for me.
Kate SouthernBelleSimple
I enjoyed this book and parts of it made me laugh out loud. It is kind of a pre-Sex & the City look at NY...the glamorous lifestyles, fashion, etc. One thing that was strange was the POV shifts that took place (made it a little confusing at first) but I stuck with it and am glad I can add it to my already-read list.
Tina
Jan 03, 2013 Tina rated it liked it
Typical McInerney book. Unique writing style, wine references, Irish/Waspy conflicts, Dad issues. But overall a great book - quick read that keeps you engaged, laughing and getting a feel for what NYC was to the (trying to be) glamorous in the mid-nineties.
Kurt
May 30, 2008 Kurt rated it really liked it
Bright Lights, Big City a few years down the road with different people. McInerney is growing more jaded, or is that just growing older? Or perhaps I am growing more cynical in my readings and have discovered something out about myself in this four sentence review?
  • Never Mind Nirvana: A Novel
  • Personal Velocity
  • The Judges of the Secret Court
  • Saints of Big Harbour
  • The Man Who Wasn't There
John Barrett McInerney Jr. is an American writer. His novels include Bright Lights, Big City, Ransom, Story of My Life, Brightness Falls, and The Last of the Savages. He edited The Penguin Book of New American Voices, wrote the screenplay for the 1988 film adaptation of Bright Lights, Big City, and co-wrote the screenplay for the television film Gia, which starred Angelina Jolie. He is the wine co ...more
More about Jay McInerney...