Start by marking “To Begin Again: Stories and Memoirs 1908 - 1929” as Want to Read:
To Begin Again: Stories and Memoirs 1908 - 1929

To Begin Again: Stories and Memoirs 1908 - 1929

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  6 reviews
The first volume of reminiscences by one of America's best-loved writers. "Vintage Fisher. . . . (Her diaries and stories) bathe her youth and beauty in a golden light like the stuff of Gustave Dore engravings, the light of a better place and a better time when people were still made out of heroics."--Washington Post Book World.

From the Trade Paperback edition.
Published November 3rd 1992 by Pantheon (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about To Begin Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Begin Again

Jean
This is a collection of lovely short autobiographical essays and diary entries which sharply bring forward details of the author’s childhood and young adulthood. Reading MFK Fisher I always feel like I’m with an exceptionally aware and intelligent friend. She is known as a “food author” and this book has many vivid descriptions of meals. But it’s the intelligence of her writing as a woman, an observer of people, and conveyer of lessons learned in her full and graceful life that most makes me app...more
Anna Bond
I still can't figure out why I've become an M.F.K. Fisher fan. Her style is pleasant enough: almost defiant in her lack of subtlety, but with an unfazed sheen that makes all her autobiographical writings oddly unrealistic. I do think it's all intentional, because she seems to recognize both her own privilege and the equal validity of all other life stories, not admitting anything remarkable or notable about her own beyond the very fact of its recording.

And cliché as it may be, as a displaced Cal...more
Lynne-marie
Determined to read everything that M.F.K. Fisher wrote outside of her cookbooks, I went on-line to our county catalog and ordered up what I could. What I received at my local library was indeed humbling. Not only is Fisher a great writer, but she is a great human being. This book, the first volume of her memoirs paints her early years and limns them with the colors of quietest glory. It is the life, I trust, we would all like to have lived and having lived, would have come out as Fisher did: an...more
Jeanne
Mary Frances Kennedy Fisher is known for writing about food. But before she chronicled the world of gastronomy, she was just a kid growing up in Whittier, California.

This memoir focuses on her younger years. Written in essay format, Fisher’s memoir covers everything from her mother’s friendship with the town librarian to her grandmother’s nervous stomach to MF’s very last spanking. Quirky, indeed!

The topics are random, and the writing is very conversational and odd. It very much reminds me of Ka...more
Betsy
My first read of Fishers work. Bits of these essays are repetitive, but they are reflections of a woman in her 70s and reworked diary entries - who wouldn't get repetitive? Regardless, I'm hooked. Totally in love with how this woman describes an egg sandwich in wax paper. Can't wait to get my hands on more of her food writing.
Christine Feiner
Mar 13, 2008 Christine Feiner rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Christine by: Kate Beihl
This was the first MFK Fisher I had read and although I would like to read more of her food writing, I was less than enchanted with this memoir. Although it was an interesting insight into her dynamic personality and unique voice.
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Marly
Marly added it
Jul 25, 2014
Sheila
Sheila marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Nate Johnson
Nate Johnson is currently reading it
Apr 13, 2014
Tyrone Dismuke
Tyrone Dismuke marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Elissa
Elissa added it
Dec 01, 2013
Marwa Arafa
Marwa Arafa marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2013
simone
simone marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2013
Amanda
Amanda added it
May 24, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Mary Frances Kennedy Fisher was a prolific and well-respected writer, writing more than 20 books during her lifetime and also publishing two volumes of journals and correspondence shortly before her death in 1992. Her first book, Serve it Forth, was published in 1937. Her books deal primarily with food, considering it from many aspects: preparation, natural history, culture, and philosophy. Fisher...more
More about M.F.K. Fisher...
The Art of Eating: 50th Anniversary Edition The Gastronomical Me How to Cook a Wolf Consider the Oyster Serve It Forth