Start by marking “To Begin Again: Stories and Memoirs 1908 - 1929” as Want to Read:
To Begin Again: Stories and Memoirs 1908 - 1929

To Begin Again: Stories and Memoirs 1908 - 1929

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  71 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
The first volume of reminiscences by one of America's best-loved writers. "Vintage Fisher. . . . (Her diaries and stories) bathe her youth and beauty in a golden light like the stuff of Gustave Dore engravings, the light of a better place and a better time when people were still made out of heroics."--Washington Post Book World.

From the Trade Paperback edition.
Published November 3rd 1992 by Pantheon (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about To Begin Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Begin Again

Jean
Sep 18, 2009 Jean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir-female
This is a collection of lovely short autobiographical essays and diary entries which sharply bring forward details of the author’s childhood and young adulthood. Reading MFK Fisher I always feel like I’m with an exceptionally aware and intelligent friend. She is known as a “food author” and this book has many vivid descriptions of meals. But it’s the intelligence of her writing as a woman, an observer of people, and conveyer of lessons learned in her full and graceful life that most makes me app ...more
Anna Bond
Oct 25, 2008 Anna Bond rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoirs
I still can't figure out why I've become an M.F.K. Fisher fan. Her style is pleasant enough: almost defiant in her lack of subtlety, but with an unfazed sheen that makes all her autobiographical writings oddly unrealistic. I do think it's all intentional, because she seems to recognize both her own privilege and the equal validity of all other life stories, not admitting anything remarkable or notable about her own beyond the very fact of its recording.

And cliché as it may be, as a displaced Cal
Susan
Feb 01, 2016 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars

I enjoyed stepping back in time with MFK Fisher's collection of remembrances from her childhood in Southern California at the beginning of the last century. A longtime fan of Fisher, I found her family stories and accounts of places and people now long gone fascinating. My one disappointment with To Begin Again was the decision to include as the book's last chapters entries from the journals she kept as a young adult. (Likely no one of this age should have their private journals publish
Fishface
Feb 06, 2016 Fishface rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
This one drew me in and and kept me reading until the last page. This is more a collection of childhood and schoolgirl reminiscences than her usual food writing, focusing on recess-yard politics and dating in college. Beautifully written and very satisfying.
Lynne-marie
May 12, 2009 Lynne-marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Determined to read everything that M.F.K. Fisher wrote outside of her cookbooks, I went on-line to our county catalog and ordered up what I could. What I received at my local library was indeed humbling. Not only is Fisher a great writer, but she is a great human being. This book, the first volume of her memoirs paints her early years and limns them with the colors of quietest glory. It is the life, I trust, we would all like to have lived and having lived, would have come out as Fisher did: an ...more
Jeanne
Jun 20, 2013 Jeanne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
Mary Frances Kennedy Fisher is known for writing about food. But before she chronicled the world of gastronomy, she was just a kid growing up in Whittier, California.

This memoir focuses on her younger years. Written in essay format, Fisher’s memoir covers everything from her mother’s friendship with the town librarian to her grandmother’s nervous stomach to MF’s very last spanking. Quirky, indeed!

The topics are random, and the writing is very conversational and odd. It very much reminds me of Ka
Betsy
Jul 10, 2008 Betsy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first read of Fishers work. Bits of these essays are repetitive, but they are reflections of a woman in her 70s and reworked diary entries - who wouldn't get repetitive? Regardless, I'm hooked. Totally in love with how this woman describes an egg sandwich in wax paper. Can't wait to get my hands on more of her food writing.
Christine Feiner
Mar 13, 2008 Christine Feiner rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Christine by: Kate Beihl
This was the first MFK Fisher I had read and although I would like to read more of her food writing, I was less than enchanted with this memoir. Although it was an interesting insight into her dynamic personality and unique voice.
Deanna
Deanna marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
Meghan Portillo
Meghan Portillo rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2015
Jess
Jess rated it it was ok
Oct 11, 2015
Dee Ann
Dee Ann rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2015
Nikki Alaee
Nikki Alaee rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2015
Hala
Hala marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Sarah Hendricks
Sarah Hendricks marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Kelsey
Kelsey added it
Apr 10, 2015
Deb
Deb rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2015
John-Elliott
John-Elliott rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2015
Lea
Lea marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Ruth Schrott
Ruth Schrott rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2015
Liza
Liza rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Trine
Trine rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2014
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Marly
Marly added it
Jul 25, 2014
Sheila
Sheila marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
patricia virca
patricia virca rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Mary Frances Kennedy Fisher was a prolific and well-respected writer, writing more than 20 books during her lifetime and also publishing two volumes of journals and correspondence shortly before her death in 1992. Her first book, Serve it Forth, was published in 1937. Her books deal primarily with food, considering it from many aspects: preparation, natural history, culture, and philosophy. Fisher ...more
More about M.F.K. Fisher...