Greensleeves

Greensleeves

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Published June 1st 1968 by Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about Greensleeves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Greensleeves

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisPrincess Academy by Shannon HaleHarry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingI'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally Carter
Pre-teen Fantasy and Chick Lit
69th out of 77 books — 94 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsThe Giver by Lois LowryThe Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
Favorite Young Adult Novels
445th out of 535 books — 809 voters

More lists with this book...

Alexi
You can read a hundred books, even good ones, without finding one that effects you in a meaningful way. But every once in a while you pick up a story—some simple, unassuming book—and something about it sinks deep within you, and lodges there. Such is Greensleeves.

I won't deny it; Greensleeves hurts, because it is honest. It's chockfull of gentle but unflinching insights into human nature. These can be hilarious, charming, tender, or excruciating by turn. I felt—and I suspect that anyone who has...more
Janice (Janicu)
This is a growing pains type of book, something that makes you look at being a young adult stuggling with growing up in a different way, maybe in a wring you out kind of way. Possibly the only other books that made me feel this way would be the series by Megan McCafferty.

Sherwood Smith, author of Inda and Crown and Court Duel has recommended it on livejournal (http://community.livejournal.com/atha...) and describes it very well - "Greensleeves had what I considered the very best illustration of...more
The last time I read this book was in 2005 on a trip to Mexico and I'd read it several times already. It was interesting to see how I felt about the characters after nearly six years of separation. I was much more impatient with the protagonist, Shannon, making a mountain out of a mole hill about her identity. She was so upset about such small solvable problems, but I guess that makes sense since she was only eighteen.

I can't feel too sorry for someone whose tough choices are: pursue higher edu...more
Patrick
Feb 24, 2008 Patrick rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 5Q, Diana, Julia
Recommended to Patrick by: Sherri!
Shelves: 5q-book-group
Rebecca
This is really a book about identity. The main character has a famous ex-pat American father, a famous Irish mother (both divorced and remarried), family in Oregon, and has been bounced around Europe for most of her life. Trying to figure out who she is, she spends a summer in Oregon, and to her surprise, spends it as a completely different person.

I really loved this book, because it didn't pull punches. Identity is not something simple, and getting to know yourself isn't simple either. Sometime...more
Adrienne
This is my favorite book :-)
Joy
Possibly the quintessential YA novel--a young woman with famous parents of different nationalities performs a favor for a lawyer "uncle," creating a false identity and living in a boarding house--whose residents she is investigating-- while figuring out what to do with her life. I have read this so many times I think I might have most of it memorized.
Greta
Nov 08, 2012 Greta rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Greta by: Sherwood Smith
Shelves: ya
Oh, I absolutely loved this book! I laughed out loud in so many parts. People kept asking me what was so funny. This was just a terrific book--a complete book. The writing was fluid and beautifully descriptive. Although one may question the decision making of the MC, I found her to be actually quite wise. It was nice to see a reasonable, responsible, kind of sensible approach at relationships as opposed to an emotional, hormonal one. I thought it was well done.

This is a book I'll want to own. I...more
Alice Winn
This is probably one of my favorite books. I wish it was still in print.
Esther
This is a growing-up story among the best. From expressing yourself under the guise of another identity, to love, to honesty, this book nails it all.
Kathleen
Well-plotted and intelligent coming-of-age novel with mystery and romance and just the right touch of humor. Life is complex and messy and doesn't always resolve neatly.

For Portlanders, McGraw lived in Portland, and that is where the book is set, although it's not integral to the story (actually, there's integral CALCULUS in the story).
Jennilyn
Feb 23, 2008 Jennilyn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Girls ages 16 and up
Recommended to Jennilyn by: Sarah McIlrath
I loved this book of a girl who is trying to find out who she is. It's a fun little novel that I think most girls would love. It made me kind of want to move to a place and pretend to be someone else. But I don't think I will ever really do that.
Catherine
Mar 10, 2008 Catherine rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone :)
One of the best young adult books ever written. Makes me want to visit Portland. It's the only book I ever seriously considered stealing from a library. Finally found a copy online I could buy!
Nicole Lisa
This book reminded me of I Capture the Castle though it takes place in Portland, Oregon, in the 60s and there's no poverty. But the narrator's voice is similarly charming and engaging.
Lissa
Very nice coming of age book. I wish I had read this when I was younger. It would be a great book to read with your older teenager and discuss.
Elizabeth
i never get tired of reading eloise jarvis mcgraw's books.
they manage to fascinate, terrify, and astound me every time.
Weston
Mar 10, 2008 Weston rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young adults, adults
Recommended to Weston by: Catherine
Great book; the Mrs. really loves it. Cute and has a good message.
Sue Marie
I absolutely love this book, and have re-read it numerous times.
Angela
Just didn't age well.
Lyn Evson
At least teenage book
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jessica Mccann
Jessica Mccann marked it as to-read
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Terrill
Terrill marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Eloise Jarvis McGraw was an author of children's books. She was awarded the Newbery Honor three times in three different decades, for her novels Moccasin Trail (1952), The Golden Goblet (1962), and The Moorchild (1997). A Really Weird Summer (1977) won an Edgar Award for Best Juvenile Mystery from the Mystery Writers of America. McGraw had a very strong interest in history, and among the many book...more
More about Eloise Jarvis McGraw...
Mara, Daughter of the Nile The Moorchild The Golden Goblet Moccasin Trail Master Cornhill