Start by marking “Eloise in Moscow” as Want to Read:
Eloise in Moscow

Eloise in Moscow (Eloise)

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  467 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Odd Couple Invade Russia and Produce Best-seller When Kay Thompson (with Hilary Knight in tow) swept through Moscow at the height of the Cold War, the Russians didn't know what hit them. No one could have predicted that this small masterpiece would be the result. First published in 1959 and out of print for more than three decades, their fourth book about Eloise is DELICIO ...more
Published September 3rd 2001 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about Eloise in Moscow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eloise in Moscow

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Monster at the End of This Book by Jon StoneCan I Play Too? by Mo WillemsNo, David! by David Shannon
Favorite Funny Picture-books
105th out of 106 books — 33 voters
Betsy and the Great World by Maud Hart LovelaceGood Wives by Louisa May AlcottAnna and the French Kiss by Stephanie PerkinsFamily Sabbatical by Carol Ryrie BrinkJunior Year Abroad by Rosamond du Jardin
Americans abroad in juvenile fiction
40th out of 66 books — 30 voters

More lists with this book...

LH Johnson
Jun 18, 2015 LH Johnson rated it it was amazing
There are times when you realise that defining something as a 'five-star' book and thus 'amazing' in the Goodreads schemata, is a process that could be interpreted in many ways. And thus, we come to 'Eloise in Moscow' which is most definitely amazing but amazing in a very distinct sort of sense of the word.

I've written about Eloise before, and I won't thematically repeat that here because, to be frank, Eloise in Moscow is quite different (and amazing) beast. It deserves it's own space.

So what i
Phyllis
Feb 22, 2012 Phyllis rated it it was amazing
I like all the Eloise books a lot, but this one is my favorite by far because somehow her rich brat excesses seem a lot less intolerable when she's hanging out with communists.
Emily
Sep 16, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it
Found at an antique store. Hilary Knight's illustrations are truly charming. I may have to seek out some of the other Eloise books.
Christy
Feb 25, 2015 Christy rated it it was amazing
Siskiyou-Suzy
I'm completel new to Eloise, apparently having missed out entirely when I was a child. I only have the vaguest memory of the idea of Eloise, and I'd never seen any of the books until now. I checked Eloise in Moscow out to see if it'd be appropriate to read to my preschoole class for a Europe theme.

The book is adorable, but I am not at all convinced that children will understand what's going on it. The frenetic breathlessness of it is sweet, but also very hard to follow, and the little references
Dolly
Nov 14, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their older children
Shelves: childrens, russia, 2012
We've read several books featuring the rascally Eloise. Our girls like them and they are usually humorous tales, but this is a much more somber, paranoid story.

The illustrations in this book capture the essence of Moscow in winter, with the political and economic aspects of the times clearly defined within the story. It's startlingly still somewhat relevant today, although not perhaps to the levels describes in the story.

I have traveled fairly frequently to Russia with my job in the last two y
Nura
Mar 29, 2015 Nura rated it liked it
Shelves: kinderjaren
Eloise tuh bandelnya ga ketulungan deh. orang-orang pada tidur dia malah keliaran di hotel. si pemandu rusianya lucu bgt.

#courtesy of Wandering Books Foundation
Olivia Lagore
Eloise, as unique and vivacious as ever, pays a visit to Moscow.
Jill Porter
Mar 28, 2015 Jill Porter rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-books
Moscow? Eloise? They don't mix, which is obvious! Love Eloise!
Kaethe
Eh. I prefer the older Eloise books to the newer ones.
Samantha
Apr 28, 2016 Samantha rated it liked it
Cute, but odd formatting. But still good.
Kavfrou
Aug 30, 2007 Kavfrou rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this absolutely darling little sweetnik have another adventure..

and now she is in moscow!

gone all the black and white with a dash of pink, and instead hillary knight represent eloise and nanny and weenie in black and white and gray and yellow and orange.

hilarious adventure as eloise sets her journey through out moscow, with her taste of everything.. from food, circus, water, static phones and even spies!

Molly
Apr 18, 2016 Molly rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Eloise visits Moscow and is up to her usual antics.

I found this Eloise book rather interesting as it is so clearly a product of its time. The Cold War and communism are clear themes in it. I thought it was interesting that the color scheme uses yellow, black and white instead of pink, black and white. The illustrations were also gorgeous as usual.
Caroline
Jan 25, 2008 Caroline rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Eloise is on the road again!
Nancy Curtis
Oct 14, 2008 Nancy Curtis rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, fiction
where is my book? JJ I love this book as a child.
Keir Bridges
Love love love Eloise. Such a neat book.
Sep 27, 2008 Jennifer rated it really liked it
The darkest Eloise. Lovink it!
Rebecca
Feb 25, 2009 Rebecca rated it did not like it
Shelves: children
I didn't like this book at all.
Evan Hammerman
May 30, 2013 Evan Hammerman rated it really liked it
A Cold War classic!
Elaina
Jul 04, 2009 Elaina rated it it was amazing
Awesome!
Bob Wu
Bob Wu is currently reading it
May 28, 2016
Alix
Alix rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2016
Michael Kerr
Michael Kerr rated it did not like it
Apr 19, 2016
Louisa Coachella
Louisa Coachella marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Karlie
Karlie marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
  • Toot & Puddle: The One and Only
  • I'll Be You and You Be Me
  • Emily
  • I Can Hear the Sun
  • Amelia Lends a Hand (Amelia's Notebooks, #12)
  • Kenny's Window
  • The Trip
  • Seen Art?
  • Eustacia Goes to the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #6)
  • The Seven Chinese Sisters
  • Eric Carle's Dragons, Dragons
  • What Do You Do, Dear?
  • Somebody Loves You, Mr. Hatch
Kay Thompson (1909–1998) was an American author, composer, musician, actress and singer. She is best remembered as the creator of the Eloise children's books.
More about Kay Thompson...

Eloise (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Eloise