Start by marking “Eloise in Moscow” as Want to Read:
Eloise in Moscow

Eloise in Moscow (Eloise)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  396 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Odd Couple Invade Russia and Produce Best-seller When Kay Thompson (with Hilary Knight in tow) swept through Moscow at the height of the Cold War, the Russians didn't know what hit them. No one could have predicted that this small masterpiece would be the result. First published in 1959 and out of print for more than three decades, their fourth book about Eloise is DELICIO...more
Published September 3rd 2001 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about Eloise in Moscow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eloise in Moscow

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Monster at the End of This Book by Jon StoneCan I Play Too? by Mo WillemsNo, David! by David Shannon
Favorite Funny Picture-books
103rd out of 104 books — 31 voters
Betsy and the Great World by Maud Hart LovelaceGood Wives by Louisa May AlcottAnna and the French Kiss by Stephanie PerkinsFamily Sabbatical by Carol Ryrie BrinkJunior Year Abroad by Rosamond du Jardin
Americans abroad in juvenile fiction
32nd out of 52 books — 23 voters

More lists with this book...

Phyllis
I like all the Eloise books a lot, but this one is my favorite by far because somehow her rich brat excesses seem a lot less intolerable when she's hanging out with communists.
Cheryl
Rawther surreal. The part that made the most sense was the pigeons doing ballet.
Emily
Found at an antique store. Hilary Knight's illustrations are truly charming. I may have to seek out some of the other Eloise books.
Dolly
Nov 14, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their older children
Shelves: 2012, childrens, russia
We've read several books featuring the rascally Eloise. Our girls like them and they are usually humorous tales, but this is a much more somber, paranoid story.

The illustrations in this book capture the essence of Moscow in winter, with the political and economic aspects of the times clearly defined within the story. It's startlingly still somewhat relevant today, although not perhaps to the levels describes in the story.

I have traveled fairly frequently to Russia with my job in the last two y...more
Kaethe
Eh. I prefer the older Eloise books to the newer ones.
Kavfrou
this absolutely darling little sweetnik have another adventure..

and now she is in moscow!

gone all the black and white with a dash of pink, and instead hillary knight represent eloise and nanny and weenie in black and white and gray and yellow and orange.

hilarious adventure as eloise sets her journey through out moscow, with her taste of everything.. from food, circus, water, static phones and even spies!

Molly
Eloise visits Moscow and is up to her usual antics.

I found this Eloise book rather interesting as it is so clearly a product of its time. The Cold War and communism are clear themes in it. I thought it was interesting that the color scheme uses yellow, black and white instead of pink, black and white. The illustrations were also gorgeous as usual.
Nancy Curtis
where is my book? JJ I love this book as a child.
Keir Bridges
Love love love Eloise. Such a neat book.
The darkest Eloise. Lovink it!
Rebecca
I didn't like this book at all.
Evan Hammerman
A Cold War classic!
Marc
Marc added it
Sep 27, 2014
Ariella Raff
Ariella Raff marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
  • Miss Twiggley's Tree
  • Harold's Fairy Tale
  • Eric Carle's Dragons, Dragons
  • The Philharmonic Gets Dressed
  • The All-New Amelia (Amelia's Notebooks, #7)
  • Georgie (Georgie The Ghost, #1)
  • Shadow
  • Toot & Puddle: You Are My Sunshine
  • Tibet: Through the Red Box
  • I Want to Be an Astronaut
  • The Apple Pie That Papa Baked
  • The Seven Chinese Sisters
  • Children of the Forest: Mini Edition
  • Jeremy Draws a Monster
Kay Thompson (1909–1998) was an American author, composer, musician, actress and singer. She is best remembered as the creator of the Eloise children's books.
More about Kay Thompson...
Eloise Eloise in Paris Eloise at Christmastime Eloise Takes a Bawth Eloise: The Ultimate Edition