Start by marking “The Friendly Four” as Want to Read:
The Friendly Four

The Friendly Four

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  11 reviews
THE FRIENDLY FOUR

Celebrate summer with Coretta Scott King Award winners Eloise Greenfield and Jan Spivey Gilchrist!

Drum: Didn't I call this summer a bummer?

All: Not anymore, not anymore.

Drum: I was alone, and life was lonely.

All: But not anymore,

Drum: 'cause we're the Friendly Four!

When Drum, Dorene, Louis, and Rae enter one another's lives unexpectedly, they embark on an
Published June 13th 2006 by Amistad (first published June 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Friendly Four, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Friendly Four

Jules
Apr 17, 2007 Jules rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: elementary school teacgers
If you are an elementary school teacher, this book is a must for your room. Not only does this book deal with issues that children face (moving to a new neighborhood, a sick parent, younger siblings, etc) but it also doubles as a fabulous tool for introducing the basics of drama (book is written like a script/play), poetry, personification, alliteration, etc. As a result, this book is also good for the upper elementary grades if children struggle with learning such concepts or have difficulty re ...more
Cheryl Belt-Jackson
Fun summer time reading for children in Elementary schools.
Poetry/chapter book
What a fun summer book with a multi-culutural slant.
This book starts out with a little boy name Drunmond who is very sad because he is lonely. Well he certainly does not stay lonely long with a lively introduction of his new friends. The story is a continue poem in each chapter which should be great as an introduction for beginers. The story line is very realistic that includes the diverse backgound of each friend. I
Samantha
Part poetry, part play. A summer is spent making friends and sharing adventures. As back-to-school season rolls around, the friends must part, but they try their best to keep each other in the loop as they wait for next summer to begin.

A fun read aloud featuring watercolor artwork depicting African American children at play. Grades 2-4.
Alice
3.5 Stars This would be a really good readers theater! I like all the parts and the friends! Cute book about friends!
Angela
Over the course of one summer, four new friends share adventures. As each friend is met and enters the story, they join the poetic verse. Each character's lines are in a different color, with the group chorus in black. Would be great to assign parts to different readers in the class....4N6 group interp?
Jessica
I read "Playground" on page 25. It requires four people to read. There are also fun, gesture drawings. The poem is about fun and happy activities such as running, sliding, and swinging. It is easy to read and the colored text helps to know who reads what.
Sam
Apr 29, 2013 Sam rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: ed-310
Good poetry book that involves four people to read each poem. Poems are about the summer and different activities kids partake in. I would recommend it for older elementary students and middle school students.
Cecoiya Johnson
The friendly Four was a great read. I enjoyed the dialogue and poetry throughout the book. U think this would be a great morning meeting book, and a great classroom library book.
Christie Suh
Four friends explore the bonds of firnedship, family, and community.
Nicolewinter2011
Good for grades 2-4
Some difficult words for L2 English
Stephanie
Mar 10, 2009 Stephanie added it
Shelves: poetry
poetry for multiple voices- children
Emily Allisot
Emily Allisot marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Shumar Brown
Shumar Brown marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2013
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2012
Honey, I Love and Other Love Poems The Great Migration: Journey to the North Honey, I love Childtimes: A Three-Generation Memoir Grandpa's Face