Start by marking “Sucks to Be Me: The All-True Confessions of Mina Hamilton, Teen Vampire (maybe) (Sucks to Be Me, #1)” as Want to Read:

Sucks to Be Me: The All-True Confessions of Mina Hamilton, Teen Vampire (maybe) (Sucks to Be Me #1)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  5,099 ratings  ·  441 reviews
Mina Hamilton's parents want her dead. (Or undead to be precise.) They're vampires, and like it or not, Mina must decide whether to become a vampire herself. But Mina's more interested in hanging out with best friend Serena and trying to catch the eye of the too-hot-for-high-school Nathan Able than in the vampire training classes she's being forced to take. How's a girl su...more
Published August 26th 2008 by Mirrorstone

Vampire Academy by Richelle MeadTwilight by Stephenie MeyerMarked by P.C. CastCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareBlue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz
Best Teen Vampire Fiction
26th out of 287 books — 4,089 voters
Shiver by Maggie StiefvaterSpeak by Laurie Halse AndersonEvermore by Alyson NoelHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickJust Listen by Sarah Dessen
YA Novels by Goodreads Authors
169th out of 1,273 books — 2,394 voters

More lists with this book...

Chris
This is a title hot on the heels of the recent vampire/supernatural craze pulsing through bookstores across the country. This is a young adult novel with a different sort of "coming of age" conflict. Mina has to decide whether or not she wants to become a vampire like the rest of her family.

Overall, it's a moderately interesting hook and the presentation is done well. The book is written in a close first person and told almost as a journal entry. There are moments where "notebook pages" or other...more
Karin
Being a high school student is stressful all by itself. Crushes, friendships, homework, the list goes on and on, but for Mina Hamilton life just got a little more complicated. You see, Mina’s parents are vampires. Her dad was accidently turned by her Uncle Mortie and since her mother was pregnant with her at the time, she waited to become a vampire until after Mina was born. The problem?? Mina’s parents never told The Council about having a baby and humans are NEVER supposed to find out about va...more
Chelsea
Eh.

Mina was whiny, incompetent, and a bit of a moron - half the plot of the book could have been resolved with two simple conversations and the basic ability to read social cues.

(That is: if Mina and her "do everything together, finish each other's sentences, are totally and completely in sync" best friend had at any point discussed what they were thinking re: the guys in their lives; if Mina had sat down and asked her parents "would you like to see me become a vampire?", especially after talkin...more
Aaron
Mina is 16 years old and a junior in high school. To make matters even more interesting, her family's unique make-up is really coming to a head. Don't tell anyone, but her parents and her Uncle Mortie are all vampires. It is a long story, but they have been keeping that a secret in order to avoid getting the attention of the Vampire Council because they want to make sure they can lead as normal a life for Mina as possible.

The council has rules that are very important to keep vamp society safe. T...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Julie M. Prince for TeensReadToo.com

Mina Hamilton has a major life (or death) decision to make, and only a few weeks in which to decide. Should she, or should she not, become a vampire? It seems like a no-brainer. I mean, Buffy would know in, like, a split second. But, having vampire parents sort of complicates matters.

This highly humorous novel puts a new spin on the teen vampire tale. Mina is a typical high school student whose extra-curricular activities are no more exciting than...more
Jackie
Feb 25, 2009 Jackie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teenage vampire fans
This debut novel by Pauley is a cute and quick read about 16 year old Mina(yup, just like in Dracula) who must decide in 4 weeks whether she wants to become a vampire or not. She's the illegal child of two vampires (Dad got turned right before she was born, Mom joined him shortly after), so it's not like she's not used to the concept. Except now the Vampire Council has found them and is forcing her family to go by the rules, which include pre-turn classes for Mina, complete with career days, and...more
Michael
Seventeen-year-old Mina Hamilton has a seemingly normal life with one small exception--her parents are vampires. Mina's known for years, but when the vampire ruling council discovers this, Mina is enrolled in a crash course about everything it means to be a vampire and given a deadline to make one of the biggest decisions of her life--whether or not to join the ranks of the undead.

With the current crazy of teenager vampire books flooding the market, "Sucks To Be Me" stands out from the crowd for...more
Peachy Sweets
Not much to actually say about this particular novel. Light, easy read. A bit of a time waster if you're over the age of 13/14.

The concept was interesting enough. I didn't hate 'the game' entirely, I hated 'the players'. The protagonist wasn't horrible to listen to, however, all other featured characters we're completely one dimensional. I don't mean to be critical, but I just felt the idea itself had a bit more potential, so it was disappointing. Basically, for some odd reason, I didn't actuall...more
Ealaindraoi
Sucks to be Me - the All-True confessions of Mina Hamilton Teen Vampire (maybe)

There are a LOT of Teen Vampire novels on the market now and I think I've read about 3/4 of them. This one is a worthy addition to the genre. Mina's voice is so clearly just a normal teen girl with loving parents (who happen to be vampires) and a best friend (who she can't confide in regarding the whole vampire thing) and a crush on a boy or two (one of whom is totally into the vampire thing, and one of whom isn't).

S...more
Petra Sýkorová
Nejspíš vás tímhle verdiktem překvapím, ale ačkoliv nejsem cílová věková skupina, myslím si, že jde o povedenou knihu, kterou by si měla přečíst každá dospívající holka, protože je prostě vtipná. Takovým tím lehce ujetým až trapným způsobem.

Kniha si na nic nehraje a i když tam jsou sem tam nelogičnosti jako hrom, kdo to řeší?

Například mě u jedné kapitoly naprosto dostalo:
MÝTUS: Upíra zabije kůl vražený do srdce.
SKUTEČNOST: No jasně. To zabije každého.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Ještě mi řekněte, že to není...more
Judi
Sep 11, 2008 Judi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys young adult vampire/paranormal romance
Mina Hamilton is your everyday teenager, thinking about the usual things that teenage girls do (i.e. boys & school), and the not so usual (i.e. her vampire parents.) She gets slammed with a life-changing decision and not a lot of time to make it![return][return]I found this book to be funny while dealing with the paranormal and the main character is spunky and a little snarky which made for a fun, light read. The vampires aren� t too � dark� and the teens are full of life and quirkiness. A s...more
Tatiana
Maybe I am just spoiled by all great YA fiction I've recently read, but this book was pretty much a waste of time.

Not going into details of the plot, this story just didn't have any real conflict or drama (not even a "boy" drama!). Everything in it was so goody-goody and simple, I just couldn't enjoy it. That would have been alright if this book was at least funny, but the author failed even at that.

There was an interesting take on vampire mythology, but that couldn't save this book from being a...more
Kathy Hiester
Sucks to Be Me was an amusing and easy read with a definite twist on vampires and coming of age that is original. Mina grew up as just the typical teenager, with the exception of her parents being vampires. Mina always knew she had to keep it a secret, but she never realized that she herself was kept a secret. Her parents never told the Vampire Council about her and know they've been found out. Now Mina has to go to vampire classes and decide whether she wants to be a vampire and if she doesn't,...more
Dan Wells
I'm nowhere near the target audience for this book, but I really enjoyed it nonetheless. The story is quick and interesting, the writing is vibrant, and the style is brimming with personality.
Brandy
¿Qué puedo decir de este libro que no hayan dicho ya por la blogosfera?. Aparte de ser la estrella del concurso del blog, porque es uno de los títulos más solicitados, hay que reconocer el mérito a la editorial por haber mimado el producto de tal manera, que ya sólo hojearlo produce una sensación divertida que se acentua conforme lees las notas supuestamente escritas a mano por la protagonista.
El libro es una gozada desde el principio y persigue con exito la intención de hacer pasar un gran rato...more
Monie
Mina’s always known that her parents were vampires. What she didn’t know was that The Northwest Regional Vampire Council didn’t know about her until an unexpected visitor reported a non-vampire living in their household. Since the council states that no human is allowed to know that vampires really exist, Mina now only has 5 weeks to decide if she wants to follow in her parent’s footsteps by becoming a vampire or have her entire life’s memory erased.

In order to help Mina with her decision, The...more
Hanulla
Mina vždycky věděla, že její rodiče jsou jiní. Stejně tak její podivínský strýček. Ale teď se po ní chce, aby byla jiná i ona. Má se totiž za šibeniční dobu – jeden měsíc – rozhodnout, jestli se chce stát upírkou.
A ať se vám to může zdát jako jednoznačná a volba, pro Minu to není nic jednoduchého. Navíc musí řešit kromě svého možného upírství i další věci. Ale to ty normální pubertální. Například potenciální přítele. Ve škole je už od šesté třídy zabouchlá do krasavce Nathana a na upířím kurzu...more
Myhotstylist
O.M.G! This book was BEYOND adorable, and has been added to my favorite book reads of 2010.

Mina Hamilton is a senior and finds out that her vampire parents may be in trouble for having Mina living them since she is a non-vampire. Now she is required to attend vampire classes over 4 weeks to learn the ways, and make the decision to become a vamp or not. It totally sucks for Mina because she can never tell her best friend Serena, or even her long time crush Nathan about the classes.

In the classes...more
Amateur de Livre
Mina Hamilton has a good life. A best friend who she can share her secrets and dreams with…even if she is in a Goth stage right now, and loving parents who would do anything for her. Well, anything except be human. They’re vampires and have been since Mina was a baby, and now that the Vampire Council has found out that they have a human child it is time for her to decide - stay human or become a vampire. What a choice to make when you are only 16.

But, she agrees to at least go to the vampire cla...more
Lucía
Leído en castellano.

Mina Hamilton no es una adolescente como las demás: es una humana hija de vampiros. Mina está harta de su vida porque, no solo se siente extraña entre su familia chupasangre, sino que también su vida humana es de lo más aburrida. Por suerte (o desgracia)un día su vida da el mayor giro que podría haberse imaginado. Resulta que los vampiros tiene por norma no pasar más de 10 años en un mismo sitio y sus padres han desobedecido por ella, además de que está terminantemente prohib...more
Rachael
At the end of Mina Hamilton’s junior year in high school, she is faced with the biggest decision of her life: whether or not to become a vampire. To make it worse, the only guidance she has comes from her slightly crazy uncle Mortie and a vampire class taught by good old Grandma Wolfington (okay, her real name is Ms. Riley) that Mina is forced to take. And just because she is named after a character from Bram Stoker’s Dracula doesn’t make this enormous decision any easier.

This novel opens with a...more
The Library Lady
Any book that disses Stephenie "Feh" Meyer on the very first page is gonna get extra brownie points from me, even if the rest turns out to be totally lame...
..but it wasn't.

This book is not going to get millions of millions of teenage girls sighing over it. It is not going to be made into a multi million dollar movie. I don't know if there will be a sequel, but if there is, it will not have a midnight opening with balloons and hoopla.

Thank God.

With few exceptions, of late the vampire books have...more
Kim Baccellia
What would happen if you found out your parents really do suck? Uh, like being vampires? Mina Hamilton finds this out and even worse she has to go to Vampire school to help her decide if she wants to change too. Add a crazy uncle, a hottie wannabe vampire, and a friend that she shares everything, well, maybe not everything with. Plus, Mina finds out that her English teacher wants the class to read Dracula. Boy, talk about giving vampires a bad name!

This is hilarious tale shows a teen who must ma...more
Kristen
I really loved this book and feel horribly guilty that I've had it since this summer (from ALA). Kimberly is actually from my home-town in Illinois - crazy world we live in eh? which also makes me feel uber guilty. And NOW that I have read it - I must say it's a fantastic and fun read. I love the little sketches and the lists of why Mina's life sucks at the end of some chapters. The characters are real, but written so well that they come to life in almost a humorous light. Definitely something t...more
Cassie
Feb 15, 2012 Cassie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: YA audience
Recommended to Cassie by: My grandmother
Shelves: own, reviewed
I was luck enough to get an advanced copy of this book, which my grandma from Chicago sent me. While I'm not a huge fan of a lot of vampire stories, this one actually managed to hold my attention. Mainly because it has more to do with real-life problems then paranormal or fantasical ones. It's laced with comedy and sarcasm as Mina tries to cope with her vampire parents whom are trying to get her to join them in her rightful place as their vampire daughter.
Mina just wants to be normal, and the b...more
Dexter/Persy
While it is a fun read, with lots of humor and cool characters, I can't say it's one of my favorite vampire books. Mina is pretty okay, though a bit of an airhead, and her family (including Serena) is pretty awesome. Nathan and George are both awesome as well, though perhaps a little unrealistically so.

The plot is certainly original. There really isn't much action or danger or anything that is typically in, well, any book. It's all very laid back. But while Kimberly Pauley gets points for creati...more
Brittney. Break my heart why dont ya
Dec 05, 2008 Brittney. Break my heart why dont ya rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Vampire lovers
Mina Hamilton has a pretty normal life. She has a bestfriend, a great family and is doing ok in highschool. But she soon figures out her mom and Dad are vampires includng har uncle. Her family has been keeping har a secret from other vampires but know they found out. She has the chose to become a vampire or not. Between takeing cources, this really cute guy in her class, and most of all she cant tell her friend Mina Hamilton's life is really busy.

This book is very good.
M
Girl power - hold the angst (well, most of it anyways). This was a delightful read with a catchy premise. The author kept the mood light even when the subject at hand was, at times, serious.

Campy fun without any of the gothic melodrama of Twilight. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed every page of the Twilight series. But I laughed so much more with Sucks...

I'll be looking for more from Ms. Pauley.
Cathy
I never thought I'd say this- but this is a fresh, funny and absorbing spin on the done-to-death (no pun intended)theme of vampires. Mina's character is believably 16, the adults in her life supportive and caring, and her social life and its teen dramas realistic enough to make me have some of my own flashback cringes! YA FIC clean enough for anyone, interesting for guys and girls.
Emma
This was a funny book. You can really get inside a teenage vampire's head. lol. I never though I could untill I read this book. I was never really intested in the subject of vampires but after I read this book, I found out some pretty cool stuff. I don't think everything they say is true but its fun to think about. Give it a try.
Would you turn? 4 15 Feb 07, 2013 07:55AM
Fantasy Inquiry 1 15 Jan 10, 2010 10:46AM
  • Suck It Up (Suck It Up, #1)
  • Vamped (Vamped, #1)
  • Love Sucks! (Bite Me, #2)
  • Never Bite a Boy on the First Date
  • Braced to Bite (Half-Blood Vampires, #1)
  • High School Bites: The Lucy Chronicles
  • Vampire High
  • Vamps (Vamps, #1)
  • Slayed
  • The Good Ghouls' Guide to Getting Even (Beth Frasier #1)
  • You Are So Undead to Me (Megan Berry, #1)
  • Dead Is the New Black (Dead Is, #1)
  • Almost Final Curtain (Vampire Princess of St. Paul, #2)
  • The Otherworldlies (The Otherworldlies, #1)
  • First Kill (The Slayer Chronicles, #1)
  • Got Fangs? (Ben and Fran, #1)
  • Vampire Rising (Alex Van Helsing, #1)
  • Stake That (Blood Coven Vampire, #2)
KIMBERLY PAULEY is the author of the award-winning Sucks to Be Me, which was honored on the YALSA Quick Picks for Reluctant Readers list. The sequel, Still Sucks to Be Me, was listed on the VOYA Best Science Fiction Fantasy List of 2010. Born in California, she has lived everywhere from Florida to Chicago and has now gone international to live in London with her husband (a numbers man) and the cut...more
More about Kimberly Pauley...
Still Sucks to Be Me: More All-True Confessions of Mina Hamilton Smith, Teen Vampire (Sucks to Be Me, #2) Cat Girl's Day Off Ask Me Sucks to be Moi (Prelude) One of the Boys

“Myth: Vampires don't exist
Truth: Dead wrong.”
17 likes
“Myth: Vampires have huge stockpiles of gold and treasure.
Truth: If that were true, I'd be able to get my dad to actually buy me a car. ”
11 likes