Start by marking “Sucks to Be Me: The All-True Confessions of Mina Hamilton, Teen Vampire (maybe) (Sucks to Be Me, #1)” as Want to Read:

Sucks to Be Me: The All-True Confessions of Mina Hamilton, Teen Vampire (maybe) (Sucks to Be Me #1)

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,885 Ratings  ·  467 Reviews
Mina Hamilton's parents want her dead. (Or undead to be precise.) They're vampires, and like it or not, Mina must decide whether to become a vampire herself. But Mina's more interested in hanging out with best friend Serena and trying to catch the eye of the too-hot-for-high-school Nathan Able than in the vampire training classes she's being forced to take. How's a girl su ...more
Published August 26th 2008 by Mirrorstone

To ask other readers questions about Sucks to Be Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sucks to Be Me

Vampire Academy by Richelle MeadTwilight by Stephenie MeyerMarked by P.C. CastCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareBlue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz
Best Teen Vampire Fiction
27th out of 307 books — 4,492 voters
Shiver by Maggie StiefvaterHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickSpeak by Laurie Halse AndersonCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareEvermore by Alyson Noel
YA Novels by Goodreads Authors
172nd out of 1,557 books — 2,895 voters

More lists with this book...

Chris
Oct 17, 2008 Chris rated it did not like it
Shelves: i-own, blah
This is a title hot on the heels of the recent vampire/supernatural craze pulsing through bookstores across the country. This is a young adult novel with a different sort of "coming of age" conflict. Mina has to decide whether or not she wants to become a vampire like the rest of her family.

Overall, it's a moderately interesting hook and the presentation is done well. The book is written in a close first person and told almost as a journal entry. There are moments where "notebook pages" or other
Karin
Jun 24, 2008 Karin rated it it was amazing
Being a high school student is stressful all by itself. Crushes, friendships, homework, the list goes on and on, but for Mina Hamilton life just got a little more complicated. You see, Mina’s parents are vampires. Her dad was accidently turned by her Uncle Mortie and since her mother was pregnant with her at the time, she waited to become a vampire until after Mina was born. The problem?? Mina’s parents never told The Council about having a baby and humans are NEVER supposed to find out about va ...more
Chelsea
Jun 12, 2008 Chelsea rated it did not like it
Eh.

Mina was whiny, incompetent, and a bit of a moron - half the plot of the book could have been resolved with two simple conversations and the basic ability to read social cues.

(That is: if Mina and her "do everything together, finish each other's sentences, are totally and completely in sync" best friend had at any point discussed what they were thinking re: the guys in their lives; if Mina had sat down and asked her parents "would you like to see me become a vampire?", especially after talkin
Petra Sýkorová
Oct 03, 2011 Petra Sýkorová rated it really liked it
Nejspíš vás tímhle verdiktem překvapím, ale ačkoliv nejsem cílová věková skupina, myslím si, že jde o povedenou knihu, kterou by si měla přečíst každá dospívající holka, protože je prostě vtipná. Takovým tím lehce ujetým až trapným způsobem.

Kniha si na nic nehraje a i když tam jsou sem tam nelogičnosti jako hrom, kdo to řeší?

Například mě u jedné kapitoly naprosto dostalo:
MÝTUS: Upíra zabije kůl vražený do srdce.
SKUTEČNOST: No jasně. To zabije každého.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Ještě mi řekněte, že to není
Brandy
Jun 16, 2011 Brandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
¿Qué puedo decir de este libro que no hayan dicho ya por la blogosfera?. Aparte de ser la estrella del concurso del blog, porque es uno de los títulos más solicitados, hay que reconocer el mérito a la editorial por haber mimado el producto de tal manera, que ya sólo hojearlo produce una sensación divertida que se acentua conforme lees las notas supuestamente escritas a mano por la protagonista.
El libro es una gozada desde el principio y persigue con exito la intención de hacer pasar un gran rato
Aaron
Jan 05, 2009 Aaron rated it really liked it
Mina is 16 years old and a junior in high school. To make matters even more interesting, her family's unique make-up is really coming to a head. Don't tell anyone, but her parents and her Uncle Mortie are all vampires. It is a long story, but they have been keeping that a secret in order to avoid getting the attention of the Vampire Council because they want to make sure they can lead as normal a life for Mina as possible.

The council has rules that are very important to keep vamp society safe. T
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Julie M. Prince for TeensReadToo.com

Mina Hamilton has a major life (or death) decision to make, and only a few weeks in which to decide. Should she, or should she not, become a vampire? It seems like a no-brainer. I mean, Buffy would know in, like, a split second. But, having vampire parents sort of complicates matters.

This highly humorous novel puts a new spin on the teen vampire tale. Mina is a typical high school student whose extra-curricular activities are no more exciting than
Jackie
Feb 25, 2009 Jackie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: teenage vampire fans
This debut novel by Pauley is a cute and quick read about 16 year old Mina(yup, just like in Dracula) who must decide in 4 weeks whether she wants to become a vampire or not. She's the illegal child of two vampires (Dad got turned right before she was born, Mom joined him shortly after), so it's not like she's not used to the concept. Except now the Vampire Council has found them and is forcing her family to go by the rules, which include pre-turn classes for Mina, complete with career days, and ...more
Michael
Jun 15, 2009 Michael rated it really liked it
Seventeen-year-old Mina Hamilton has a seemingly normal life with one small exception--her parents are vampires. Mina's known for years, but when the vampire ruling council discovers this, Mina is enrolled in a crash course about everything it means to be a vampire and given a deadline to make one of the biggest decisions of her life--whether or not to join the ranks of the undead.

With the current crazy of teenager vampire books flooding the market, "Sucks To Be Me" stands out from the crowd for
Peachy Sweets
Jun 14, 2011 Peachy Sweets rated it it was ok
Not much to actually say about this particular novel. Light, easy read. A bit of a time waster if you're over the age of 13/14.

The concept was interesting enough. I didn't hate 'the game' entirely, I hated 'the players'. The protagonist wasn't horrible to listen to, however, all other featured characters we're completely one dimensional. I don't mean to be critical, but I just felt the idea itself had a bit more potential, so it was disappointing. Basically, for some odd reason, I didn't actuall
The Library Lady
Mar 18, 2009 The Library Lady rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-books
Any book that disses Stephenie "Feh" Meyer on the very first page is gonna get extra brownie points from me, even if the rest turns out to be totally lame...
..but it wasn't.

This book is not going to get millions of millions of teenage girls sighing over it. It is not going to be made into a multi million dollar movie. I don't know if there will be a sequel, but if there is, it will not have a midnight opening with balloons and hoopla.

Thank God.

With few exceptions, of late the vampire books have
Ealaindraoi
May 09, 2008 Ealaindraoi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, 2008
Sucks to be Me - the All-True confessions of Mina Hamilton Teen Vampire (maybe)

There are a LOT of Teen Vampire novels on the market now and I think I've read about 3/4 of them. This one is a worthy addition to the genre. Mina's voice is so clearly just a normal teen girl with loving parents (who happen to be vampires) and a best friend (who she can't confide in regarding the whole vampire thing) and a crush on a boy or two (one of whom is totally into the vampire thing, and one of whom isn't).

S
Judi
Sep 11, 2008 Judi rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys young adult vampire/paranormal romance
Mina Hamilton is your everyday teenager, thinking about the usual things that teenage girls do (i.e. boys & school), and the not so usual (i.e. her vampire parents.) She gets slammed with a life-changing decision and not a lot of time to make it![return][return]I found this book to be funny while dealing with the paranormal and the main character is spunky and a little snarky which made for a fun, light read. The vampires aren t too dark and the teens are full of life and quirkiness. A serio ...more
Tatiana
Jun 11, 2009 Tatiana rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009, ya, romancelandia
Maybe I am just spoiled by all great YA fiction I've recently read, but this book was pretty much a waste of time.

Not going into details of the plot, this story just didn't have any real conflict or drama (not even a "boy" drama!). Everything in it was so goody-goody and simple, I just couldn't enjoy it. That would have been alright if this book was at least funny, but the author failed even at that.

There was an interesting take on vampire mythology, but that couldn't save this book from being a
Kathy Hiester
Sep 13, 2011 Kathy Hiester rated it really liked it
Sucks to Be Me was an amusing and easy read with a definite twist on vampires and coming of age that is original. Mina grew up as just the typical teenager, with the exception of her parents being vampires. Mina always knew she had to keep it a secret, but she never realized that she herself was kept a secret. Her parents never told the Vampire Council about her and know they've been found out. Now Mina has to go to vampire classes and decide whether she wants to be a vampire and if she doesn't, ...more
Dan Wells
Apr 26, 2008 Dan Wells rated it really liked it
I'm nowhere near the target audience for this book, but I really enjoyed it nonetheless. The story is quick and interesting, the writing is vibrant, and the style is brimming with personality.
A&E
May 05, 2010 A&E rated it really liked it
This was a surprising treat. I don't know why I didn't expect much from Sucks To Be Me, but it turned out to be a lot of fun.

Mina is a feisty character, full of humor and intelligence. I loved the sassy voice she maintained throughout. She's a loyal friend and has a good relationship with her parents. Yeah, she gets mad at their lack on info on the vampire thing but they work it out.

Her uncle comes off as a silly nitwit but then even he ends up working with Mina's best interests at heart. Serena
Monie
Aug 23, 2008 Monie rated it it was amazing
Mina’s always known that her parents were vampires. What she didn’t know was that The Northwest Regional Vampire Council didn’t know about her until an unexpected visitor reported a non-vampire living in their household. Since the council states that no human is allowed to know that vampires really exist, Mina now only has 5 weeks to decide if she wants to follow in her parent’s footsteps by becoming a vampire or have her entire life’s memory erased.

In order to help Mina with her decision, The
Hanulla
Oct 18, 2012 Hanulla rated it liked it
Mina vždycky věděla, že její rodiče jsou jiní. Stejně tak její podivínský strýček. Ale teď se po ní chce, aby byla jiná i ona. Má se totiž za šibeniční dobu – jeden měsíc – rozhodnout, jestli se chce stát upírkou.
A ať se vám to může zdát jako jednoznačná a volba, pro Minu to není nic jednoduchého. Navíc musí řešit kromě svého možného upírství i další věci. Ale to ty normální pubertální. Například potenciální přítele. Ve škole je už od šesté třídy zabouchlá do krasavce Nathana a na upířím kurzu
Myhotstylist
Dec 17, 2010 Myhotstylist rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
O.M.G! This book was BEYOND adorable, and has been added to my favorite book reads of 2010.

Mina Hamilton is a senior and finds out that her vampire parents may be in trouble for having Mina living them since she is a non-vampire. Now she is required to attend vampire classes over 4 weeks to learn the ways, and make the decision to become a vamp or not. It totally sucks for Mina because she can never tell her best friend Serena, or even her long time crush Nathan about the classes.

In the classes
Amateur de Livre
Jan 17, 2009 Amateur de Livre rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Mina Hamilton has a good life. A best friend who she can share her secrets and dreams with…even if she is in a Goth stage right now, and loving parents who would do anything for her. Well, anything except be human. They’re vampires and have been since Mina was a baby, and now that the Vampire Council has found out that they have a human child it is time for her to decide - stay human or become a vampire. What a choice to make when you are only 16.

But, she agrees to at least go to the vampire cla
Rachael
May 20, 2008 Rachael rated it it was amazing
At the end of Mina Hamilton’s junior year in high school, she is faced with the biggest decision of her life: whether or not to become a vampire. To make it worse, the only guidance she has comes from her slightly crazy uncle Mortie and a vampire class taught by good old Grandma Wolfington (okay, her real name is Ms. Riley) that Mina is forced to take. And just because she is named after a character from Bram Stoker’s Dracula doesn’t make this enormous decision any easier.

This novel opens with a
Kim Baccellia
Jul 16, 2008 Kim Baccellia rated it really liked it
What would happen if you found out your parents really do suck? Uh, like being vampires? Mina Hamilton finds this out and even worse she has to go to Vampire school to help her decide if she wants to change too. Add a crazy uncle, a hottie wannabe vampire, and a friend that she shares everything, well, maybe not everything with. Plus, Mina finds out that her English teacher wants the class to read Dracula. Boy, talk about giving vampires a bad name!

This is hilarious tale shows a teen who must ma
Kristen
I really loved this book and feel horribly guilty that I've had it since this summer (from ALA). Kimberly is actually from my home-town in Illinois - crazy world we live in eh? which also makes me feel uber guilty. And NOW that I have read it - I must say it's a fantastic and fun read. I love the little sketches and the lists of why Mina's life sucks at the end of some chapters. The characters are real, but written so well that they come to life in almost a humorous light. Definitely something t ...more
Cassie
Feb 15, 2012 Cassie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: YA audience
Recommended to Cassie by: My grandmother
Shelves: own, reviewed
I was luck enough to get an advanced copy of this book, which my grandma from Chicago sent me. While I'm not a huge fan of a lot of vampire stories, this one actually managed to hold my attention. Mainly because it has more to do with real-life problems then paranormal or fantasical ones. It's laced with comedy and sarcasm as Mina tries to cope with her vampire parents whom are trying to get her to join them in her rightful place as their vampire daughter.
Mina just wants to be normal, and the b
Hannah Givens
Jan 12, 2015 Hannah Givens rated it it was amazing
I'm not sure why I loved this book so much, seeing as it's quite a light read, but I just really enjoyed it.

There are boys and dates in it for you Twilight fans, but I'd never say it's a Twilight read-alike or even "like Twilight." It's funny, and touching, and realistic, and there's no wangst. And did I mention how funny it is?

The book starts off sort of boring and pop-y, but hang in there for two or three chapters. There are a lot of pop culture references but they're relevant, the ones I was
Dexter
Aug 06, 2014 Dexter rated it liked it
While it is a fun read, with lots of humor and cool characters, I can't say it's one of my favorite vampire books. Mina is pretty okay, though a bit of an airhead, and her family (including Serena) is pretty awesome. Nathan and George are both awesome as well, though perhaps a little unrealistically so.

The plot is certainly original. There really isn't much action or danger or anything that is typically in, well, any book. It's all very laid back. But while Kimberly Pauley gets points for creati
Brittney. Break my heart why dont ya
Dec 05, 2008 Brittney. Break my heart why dont ya rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Vampire lovers
Mina Hamilton has a pretty normal life. She has a bestfriend, a great family and is doing ok in highschool. But she soon figures out her mom and Dad are vampires includng har uncle. Her family has been keeping har a secret from other vampires but know they found out. She has the chose to become a vampire or not. Between takeing cources, this really cute guy in her class, and most of all she cant tell her friend Mina Hamilton's life is really busy.

This book is very good.
Hiba Ahmed
Feb 17, 2015 Hiba Ahmed rated it it was amazing
Mina Hamilton wants to become a vampire, just like her parents. She get's to live forever, has super senses, really strong and would have mood color changing eyes, how cool is that? But, when the council tells her that if she turns, they will have to fake her death and move her someplace else taking all her belongings so no one will recognize her, she has second thoughts. If she turns, it means she will never be able to talk to her best friend Serena! And she'll be leaving her recently turned in ...more
M
Jan 24, 2009 M rated it liked it
Girl power - hold the angst (well, most of it anyways). This was a delightful read with a catchy premise. The author kept the mood light even when the subject at hand was, at times, serious.

Campy fun without any of the gothic melodrama of Twilight. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed every page of the Twilight series. But I laughed so much more with Sucks...

I'll be looking for more from Ms. Pauley.
Would you turn? 4 15 Feb 07, 2013 11:55PM
Fantasy Inquiry 1 15 Jan 11, 2010 02:46AM
  • Vamped (Vamped, #1)
  • Suck It Up (Suck It Up, #1)
  • Bite Me! (Bite Me, #1)
  • Never Bite a Boy on the First Date
  • Braced to Bite (Half-Blood Vampires, #1)
  • High School Bites: The Lucy Chronicles
  • The Good Ghouls' Guide to Getting Even (Beth Frasier #1)
  • Vamps (Vamps, #1)
  • Almost to Die For (Vampire Princess of St. Paul, #1)
  • Dead Is the New Black (Dead Is, #1)
  • Zombie Queen of Newbury High
  • Vampire Rising (Alex Van Helsing, #1)
  • I Kissed a Zombie, and I Liked It
  • Vampire High
  • You Are So Undead to Me (Megan Berry, #1)
  • Girls That Growl (Blood Coven Vampire, #3)
  • Got Fangs? (Ben and Fran, #1)
  • First Kill (The Slayer Chronicles, #1)
KIMBERLY PAULEY is the author of the award-winning Sucks to Be Me, which was honored on the YALSA Quick Picks for Reluctant Readers list. The sequel, Still Sucks to Be Me, was listed on the VOYA Best Science Fiction Fantasy List of 2010. Born in California, she has lived everywhere from Florida to Chicago and has now gone international to live in London with her husband (a numbers man) and the cut ...more
More about Kimberly Pauley...

Sucks to Be Me (2 books)
  • Still Sucks to Be Me: More All-True Confessions of Mina Hamilton Smith, Teen Vampire (Sucks to Be Me, #2)

“Myth: Vampires don't exist
Truth: Dead wrong.”
17 likes
“Myth: Vampires have huge stockpiles of gold and treasure.
Truth: If that were true, I'd be able to get my dad to actually buy me a car. ”
12 likes