Start by marking “Thumb (The Book of the Colossus #1)” as Want to Read:
Thumb (The Book of the Colossus #1)

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Thumb (The Book of the Colossus #1)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  13 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Alternate Cover Edition for ASIN B00CHSGJB2

The universe is empty. The stars are dead. The worlds are no more.

The last humans struggle to create a god to save them from the utter end. In the shadow of this colossus Max Ocel rescues a beautiful stranger from the clutches of an insane giant, and sets in motion a chain of events that threatens to wipe out mankind itself.

Invi
Kindle Edition, First
Published May 8th 2013 by John Guy Collick (first published April 22nd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Thumb, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thumb

Rodrigo Aguerre
Feb 09, 2015 Rodrigo Aguerre rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I read "Thumb" because I won a goodreads giveaway for "Ragged Claws", which is the following book to "Thumb" in the series "The Book of the Colossus".

Fantasy mixed with science fiction is not what I usually choose for reading. Normally I read hard science fiction, especulative science fiction or "space opera", and sometimes I venture myself with books that are a little out of these parameters. The authors I like the most are Asimov, Clarke and Pohl.

"Thumb" has nothing to do with it. It is comp
Jane
May 27, 2013 Jane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thumb is like nothing I’ve read before, and I absolutely loved it. If this is steampunk, I’m a convert, but if you are already a fan, don’t expect steam-powered horses and musketeers taking potshots at airships. The atmosphere is more like the original Star Trek series, complete with polystyrene scenery and murky colour, but instead of being set in a studio, the playground is an immense dull orange wasteland littered with waste building materials, stretching thousands and thousands of miles, ...more
Virginia
Aug 10, 2016 Virginia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I must admit that after a friend recommended me this book, I wasn't that thrilled to start reading it.

The first few sentences of the blurb made me think of a sci-fi/fantasy book with only metaphors about how we humans need our gods when there's no other way to save ourselves. (Not that I have something against religious fiction, but I just wasn't in the mood for it.)

I was happy when I realized that I was wrong and that the book wasn't like that... but as soon as I heaved a sigh of relief, I wa
A.B. Shepherd
Jun 22, 2013 A.B. Shepherd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was provided an ebook version of Thumb in exchange for a fair and honest review.
I've never been one to judge a book by it's cover, which I think is a good thing because there a many covers that don't turn me on. Like Thumb's cover. It is a representation of a scene in the book, but it doesn't draw me in or make me want to read it.

I was intrigued by the blurb though, so I thought I would give it a go. In the beginning I started to wonder what I'd gotten myself into. I started to think the boo
Underground Book Reviews
If God did not exist, mankind would have to invent him. Literally, in the case of the remarkable book Thumb, by John Guy Collick.

It is the far, far, far future. So far into the future that the universe is dying. Stars are burning out and hope is dead, buried and forgotten.

An essentially unchanged mankind, basic humanform bodyshape still intact with a recognizably human consciousness, will meet the heat death of the universe. They are resigned to it.

Until the discovery of a white hole of sorts th
Peter Kent
Jun 19, 2013 Peter Kent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Firefly meets the end of the Universe, with just the slightest hint of Jason Bourne. A well written page turner with each chapter building to a crescendo that makes you want to continue reading.
Tamara Tipton
Aug 19, 2013 Tamara Tipton rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I honestly gave up on this book. I never do that, but I just couldn't get a handle on the story or the main characters. Perhaps it just isn't the book for me.
Nick
Nick rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2015
Hannah Kelly
Hannah Kelly rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2015
Holly
This. Sounds. Awesome.
Lorijo Metz
Lorijo Metz rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2013
Carol Ann
Carol Ann rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2013
Shadowdenizen
Shadowdenizen rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2014
Wib
Wib rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2015
Chris Merrick
Chris Merrick marked it as to-read
May 01, 2013
Brian Braden
Brian Braden marked it as to-read
May 07, 2013
Shawn Wickersheim
Shawn Wickersheim marked it as to-read
May 07, 2013
Lisa Ann (Ketsy)
Lisa Ann (Ketsy) marked it as to-read
Barry
Barry marked it as to-read
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Sonia
Sonia marked it as to-read
Darlene Howard
Darlene Howard marked it as to-read
Simon
Simon marked it as to-read
♥Scout Paige♥
♥Scout Paige♥ marked it as to-read
May 13, 2013
Sarah marked it as to-read
Kim Coomey
Kim Coomey marked it as to-read
Neil
Neil marked it as to-read
Cindy Gates
Cindy Gates marked it as to-read
carla clifton
carla clifton marked it as to-read
Melissa Herston
Melissa Herston marked it as to-read
Erinandtwo
Erinandtwo marked it as to-read
Jose
Jose marked it as to-read
Ben King
Ben King marked it as to-read
Tracey
Tracey marked it as to-read
Kirsty
Kirsty marked it as to-read
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Mallory
Mallory marked it as to-read
Dalene
Dalene marked it as to-read
May 15, 2013
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Melanie Barclay
Melanie Barclay marked it as to-read
Keith Grassick
Keith Grassick marked it as to-read
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
May 16, 2013
Steampunk, New We...: Building Gods at the End of Time 2 15 Jun 18, 2013 02:21AM
  • Demon of the Air (Aztec Murder Mystery, #1)
  • Sand and Blood
  • A Flight of Marewings (Wyld Magic, #1)
  • Lightbreaker (Codex of Souls, #1)
  • The Vullens' Curse (The Jade Series, #1)
  • Dawning (Black Earth, #1)
  • Ninja Versus Pirate Featuring Zombies (How To End Human Suffering #1)
  • Slopjar
  • The Rogue King (The Rogue King Saga, #1)
  • The Greatest of Sins (Sinner and Saint, #1)
  • The Pillars of Rome (Republic, #1)
  • Irenicon (The Wave Trilogy, #1)
  • Prince of Light (Prince of Light, #1)
  • Prince of Tyre (Sword of the Gods Saga, #2)
  • The Blood of Whisperers (The Vengeance Trilogy, #1)
  • The Falcon Throne (The Tarnished Crown, #1)
  • Extinction Game (The Apocalypse Duology, #1)
  • The Sundering (The Sundering, #1-2)
John Guy Collick was born in Yorkshire, England. When he was 10 years old his grandfather gave him a copy of A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs, and from then on he was hooked on science fiction and fantasy. He worked for Scotland Yard before moving to Japan for ten years to lecture in literature and philosophy, teaching courses on Science Fiction and Futurology. Ragged Claws is his second ...more
More about John Guy Collick...

The Book of the Colossus (4 books)
  • Ragged Claws (The Book of the Colossus, #2)
  • AntiHelix (The Book of the Colossus, #3)
  • Dark Feathered Hearts (The Book of the Colossus #4)