Brightness Reef (Uplift Storm Trilogy, #1)

Brightness Reef (Uplift Storm Trilogy #1)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  6,329 ratings  ·  100 reviews
David Brin's Uplift novels--Sundiver, Hugo award winner The Uplift War, and Hugo and Nebula winner Startide Rising--are among the most thrilling and extraordinary science fiction tales ever written.Now David Brin returns to this future universe for a new Uplift trilogy, packed with adventure, passion and wit.

The planet Jijo is forbidden to settlers, its ecology protected b...more
Mass Market Paperback, 661 pages
Published October 1st 1996 by Spectra (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Brightness Reef, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brightness Reef

Ender's Game by Orson Scott CardDune by Frank Herbert1984 by George OrwellFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyBrave New World by Aldous Huxley
Best Science Fiction & Fantasy Books
434th out of 4,275 books — 15,575 voters
The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K. Le GuinGrass by Sheri S. TepperParable of the Sower by Octavia E. ButlerThe Adventures of the Stainless Steel Rat by Harry HarrisonThe Anubis Gates by Tim Powers
Most Under-rated Science Fiction
26th out of 1,022 books — 1,029 voters

More lists with this book...

Ben Babcock
You cannot ask for a better premise than Uplift. Of all the science fiction series I've read, David Brin has something special here. Uplift is more than just panspermia, because Brin has taken the idea of aliens genetically engineering pre-sapient life to full sapience and wrapped his own entire mythos around the concept. As a result of Uplift, galactic civilization is a network of intricate social relationships defined and bound by literally millions of years of tradition. Client races are beho...more
Tatiana
These are getting better, though the author still has some writing quirks that annoy me. These last three Uplift books are apparently all one long story. The first one, Brightness Reef, introduces us to the planet Jijo, and to the six erstwhile starfaring races that dwell there in exile illegally. Some of the storylines and characters are quite captivating, like that of Rety and of the Stranger. Others like Alvin, Huck and friends, I wish to get through quickly and move on. He has learned to go...more
Bunny Blake
I read the first three Uplift novels back when they were fairly new, and since then they've been one of my favorite brainy space opera series. Recently I marathoned through the initial trilogy again and was pleased to discover there were three more books in the series since then.

The Uplift books are a great mix of adventure, world-building, and scientific speculation, and the alien races portrayed in these books are especially great. "Brightness Reef" took me a little longer to get into compared...more
Darth
Not sure why i keep at theses Uplift books.
I dont by the setup - I am not overwhelmed by any ideas in the story, the setting, the premise, etc...
They arent bad, they just dont do much for me. I find it hard to imagine people taking species responsibility over the course of thousands of years. It is hard to get most people who study a specific thing - to agree what happened 100 years ago. So to think we or any like species would carry any guilt for thousands of years seems unlikely.

For this part...more
Bria
A high four. Some of my favorite things were things that I appreciated in thought more than enjoyed as I read it, but that may be my harshest critique. I sometimes complain that science fiction is so concentrated upon its jawsome ideas that it forgets to also be literature, but the sort of self-aware literary technique in the secondary story line seemed a bit out of place sandwiched between the more conventional sections. Perhaps if the whole book had been written that way it would have worked,...more
Mercurybard
This was a hard one to muddle through--it wasn't until I realized that this trilogy is contemporary to the events of the Uplift Trilogy that I started to get interested.

Brin is experimenting with perspective--from the alien Asx to the Stranger who has lost all language when introducted to Alvin, the young hoon who tells his story in a first person journal style.

Of course, since it's Brin, the intrigue is thick.

Gone are the weird time passage "burps" from earlier books. Everything seems to flow n...more
Andrew Riley
The second Uplift trilogy, or the Jijoian Trilogy is set in a universe where species are raised to sentience by a Patron race, to whom they then owe one hundred thousand years of servitude as a thank you. Humanity, having already raised Chimps and Dolphins to sentience stumble out into the galaxy at large without a patron race, making them rare "wolflings" generally doomed for extinction lacking protection in what is often a dangerous and violent galactic society.

The majority of the trilogy is s...more
Kelly Flanagan
This is a good book.the 6 different species on the planet Jijo are well created and interesting. There was lucklily a picture at the end of the book and after looking at that I understood the shape and parts of the different types of aliens there. There is also an interesting idea of 'Patron' species. In other words a species that takes another fledgling group and begins to uplift them. Genetically changing them slowly as well as teaching them things to make them into the next star-faring specie...more
Elar
Lonely planet left for recuperation for next settlers is actually occupied by 6 different races of refugee aliens including humans. Every faction has secrets and ambitions, but till now they manage to live together in peace. After starship arrives everything changes. And to mix it all up strange man who cannot speak and do not remember his past is rescued at sea.

Caution! This book is intended as only part of trilogy as it leaves many questions unanswered, so be prepared and forewarned :)
Amy
The new Uplift trilogy continues the adventures of the crew of Streaker, though they don't figure much in the first volume. It takes place on the distant planet Jijo, where members of several different Galactic races (including humans) have colonized illegally. These "sooners" live in constant fear of discovery by Galactic authorities. It's a great story but you keep wondering when the Streaker is going to make an appearance.
Eric
Aug 10, 2014 Eric rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who want human interest stories about non-humans
Shelves: sci-fi
Spoiler alert: There are no bright reefs in here. Brin has taken two words that he likes, put them together, and named his story that. He then filled up 650 pages with multiple threads of a tale that I'm not all that interested in. This book is at least 3x longer than it needs to be. I can summarize:
1) There are various aliens who have come into illegal exile together for various reasons. Their motivations are slowly revealed.
2) Their plan is to devolve into pre-sentient lifeforms. By the way, e...more
Kirk Lowery
Brin is an excellent writer, no matter that his cosmology and worldview is upwhacked. In particular, the Uplift series of books are especially inventive and entertaining.
Lamar Latrell
In the epilogue, the author apologizes because the book the does not stand on its own, and notes that the scope of the book expanded to the point that a trilogy would be necessary. I think that sums up his relationship to the books. In a sense, he doesn't write them, they write themselves. That is to say, he really doesn't have much control over the story that he wants to tell.
To sum up:
He introduces five new sentient species (and one already familiar) fairly early in the book as castaways/escap...more
Lianne Burwell
I bought this trilogy back when it originally came out, but for some reason, despite loving the other three books in the Uplift universe, I just never got around to reading these. Probably because they didn't seem to tie into the events of Startide Rising, at least at first glance. Now, years later, I am finally getting into them.

Jijo is a fallow world. The former leaseholders have retreated, and the creatures of the world have been left alone in the hope that one might reach pre-sapience and be...more
Manuel Barrera
An excellent primer on the future and present diversity of life from a scholar, physicist, and humanist. David Brin's "new" (to me) trilogy in the Uplift saga is smart in its depiction of sentient speciation in a universe likely to be much more diverse than we may believe at this moment. However, the power of Brin's works lie in his illustrating the very human diversity, and our individual responses to it, that we encounter every day in this world. Our reactions of solidarity, of horror, of hatr...more
Matt
I used to be a voracious reader, and although I find that my reading time is now taken up by other communication methods (iPad, Internet, etc.) I still enjoy reading a good book, or listening to audiobooks.
So, I've gone back and started listening to one of my favorite series of books by David Brin called the Uplift Trilogy. It's really a long story set after the events of Startide Rising, which is the keystone book in his whole Uplift "universe."
The short explanation of the story is that human...more
Dylan Harris
The fundamental theme behind David Brin’s various Uplift series of novels makes me feel uncomfortable. But that’s a good thing; one of the strengths of science fiction is that it can be used to explore uncomfortable themes without the associated cultural baggage.

The Uplift series explores race and racism without obvious reference to the terrible history of the first half of the 20th century. This allows Brin to consider this deeply disturbing subject without the baggage of antisemitism, or other...more
Eric
Brightness reef is not a bad book but definitely not as much fun as the previous Uplift books. Brin keeps rapidly switching perpective and over time this disconnects you somewhat from all the characters.

I understand that Brin is trying to mesh the experiences and histories of several different species into one coherent story but to me it seems that the large diversity of species is simultaneously the books biggest strength and its greatest weakness. I've read this book over a long period (month...more
Jared
I had to give up on this book. I got 38% of the way into the book and things were just starting to happen...almost.

The book is split into what seemed like a thousand view points, but was probably only seven (a human male, his three children, a young non-human sentient, one omniscient, and "The Stranger"). Of them, I cared about two of the human's kids; either them or their story line.

So, in this collection of Five Galaxies, all full of worlds capable of supporting life, by order of the Institute...more
Olethros
-Despliegue abrumador pero no totalmente necesario.-

Género. Ciencia-Ficción.

Lo que nos cuenta. Tras un breve preludio de lo que parecen los últimos instantes de alguien en una zona pantanosa, conoceremos al joven estudiante Hph-wayuo (al que le gusta que le llamen Alvin) de la raza hoon, que disfruta leyendo historias clásicas terrícolas y que nos hablará de sus amigos, Huck la g´Kek, Pinzón el qheuen rojo y Ur-ronn la ur, una pandilla con representación de cuatro de las razas presentes en el pl...more
Onefinemess

I admit, this book did not start out on the right foot with me. All the perspective switching and back and forth through time - that was not what I wanted from this book! I wanted to get back to the god damned crew from Startide Rising! Brin is engaging in some epic level taunt/trolling here. I KID. KIND OF.

It made more sense when I read the afterword and it sounds like he intended this trilogy to be one book, but couldn't do it. So. These ~650 pages are basically just the set up. I'm OK with th...more
Michael E.
I don't like leaving a one-star reviews, but this book just didn't appeal to me, and I could not finish it. I can't say that I'm a Sci-Fi Junkie, but I do enjoy it when an author paints a believable picture of an imaginary world, and places a creative story in that environment. For me, from what I read, this book was neither believable on any degree, and the story wasn't getting very interesting.

The writing style was good, I guess. The setting and preface of the story was potentially interestin...more
S.
I've read most of David Brin's Uplift Universe, but I actually started with this particular series, and despite it being the final trilogy I can say with confidence that it's a mighty fine place to start. To this day these three books remain my favorite Brin novels.

Not only is David Brin an absolute master of Hard Science Fiction, his work is a good antidote to the pile of young-adult-inspired-barely-feasible-dystopias that are currently flooding the market and trying to coattail on the success...more
Servius  Heiner
I'm sure Brin has lots of fans... and in a way I might be one of them. His work reminds me of Vernor Vinge, just not as good. The story itself is great, but the writing is awful. There is no time sequencing between character point of views. Even when the the story combines two points of view taking place in the same scene. by the time he gets around to the other point of view you already know what the outcome is. I don't know why he does this, but he does it often. It doesn't bring anything to t...more
Al

The planet Jijo is forbidden to settlers, its ecology protected by guardians of the Five Galaxies.But over the centuries it has been resettled, populated by refugees of six intelligent rac

Martyn F
Very interesting start of the trilogy. You have to put in quite an effort to get through the first 80 pages or so, though. He throws a lot of sentient beings at you, all with their own history. And a completely different planet, with its own vegetation, moons, time, etc. I honestly still don't know what qheuens looks like. A few drawings would have made it a lot easier.

If you get through all that (or maybe read the earlier books about this planet, which I didn't), Brin poses the very interesting...more
Andreea Pausan
After what seems to be a long and convoluted introduction of new players, 6 races living together in harmony on a distant planer called Jijo, their background and lives, we find out in the lats lines that this is a continuation on the adventure started by Streaker and its dolphin crew in an earlier book, Startide Rising. The level of details seems a bit much, but the story gets better.
Tim Franklin
Too many and too disconnected view-points initially, especially reading in short chunks. It was difficult to keep track of which character I was reading and what their relationship was with the others. Picked up quite a bit when all the threads started to come together, but hard work to get there at times.
Jon
Mr. Brin never fails to reward the careful reader! This first novel in the newest Uplift trilogy is deeply weird, steeped in ideas and unbridled imagination, and best of all - full of wonderfully fallible and heroic characters (very few of them are human!). Brin's favorite trick is to drop a megaton reveal late in his novels and he does so here with jaw-dropping results - the last 100 pages were a complete blur compared to the sometimes plodding first almost-600.

I set this one down and immediate...more
Sandi
Started a bit slow but once the story got going I was very engaged. I did not realize though that this was really just part one of a larger story since the previous books set in the universe had self-contained stories. I listened to the audio version which was read by George Wilson who always does a great job with the various alien and human voices.
  • Eternity (The Way, #2)
  • Tides of Light (Galactic Center, #4)
  • The Legacy of Heorot (Heorot #1)
  • Learning the World: A Scientific Romance
  • Ring (Xeelee Sequence, #4)
  • The Reality Dysfunction 1: Emergence (Night's Dawn 1)
  • The Boat of a Million Years
  • The Peace War (Across Realtime, #1)
  • Steel Beach
David Brin is a scientist, speaker, and world-known author. His novels have been New York Times Bestsellers, winning multiple Hugo, Nebula and other awards. At least a dozen have been translated into more than twenty languages.

Existence, his latest novel, offers an unusual scenario for first contact. His ecological thriller, Earth, foreshadowed global warming, cyberwarfare and near-future trends...more
More about David Brin...
Startide Rising (The Uplift Saga, #2) The Postman The Uplift War (The Uplift Saga, #3) Sundiver (The Uplift Saga, #1) Foundation's Triumph (Second Foundation Trilogy, #3)

“Creative people see Prometheus in a mirror, never Pandora.” 39 likes
“It was a strange trek — the sullen leading the apathetic, followed by the confused, all tailed by the inveterately amused.” 2 likes