Start by marking “Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle Treasury (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #1-2, #4)” as Want to Read:
Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle Treasury (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #1-2, #4)

Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle Treasury (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle #1-2, 4)

4.45 of 5 stars 4.45  ·  rating details  ·  712 ratings  ·  74 reviews
Children love Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle for her upside-down house, her delicious cookies, and her ability to understand how they feel. Here in one volume is Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle; Hello, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle; and Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Magic. B&W illus. Ages 8-12
Hardcover, Omnibus, 392 pages
Published June 15th 1995 by HarperCollins (first published March 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle Treasury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle Treasury

Now that I have been recovering from surgery I've been feeling a bit nostalgic so I took out some of my favorite childhood books. I loved reading Mrs. Piggle Wiggle as a child and I remember constantly checking her out from my school library, so much so that the check-out card was filled front and back with only my name.

I thought her to be so kind and clever, and loving to all the neighborhood children. I wanted to live in her neighborhood too just so I could experience her magic. Even to this
Think Super Nanny meets Donna Reed with these classic children's stories. Mrs. Piggle Wiggle knows just what to do whenever naughty children suffer from horrible diseases such as tattletaleitis or slowpokeitis. With names like Armand Armadillo, Ermintrude Bags, Paraphernalia Grotto, my kids started laughing immediately. They would not however let me use funny voices but demanded that I read the stories "normal." Oh well. Here is one of my favorite passages:

"Well, " said her daddy, "your careles
We are so crazy about this book. I remember loving it as a kid, and as a mom I love it EVEN MORE. I most especially love having Madeleine read it aloud to me while I drive.

Madeleine's favorite stories are the "Fighter-Quarreleritis Cure" (probably because she doesn't have siblings to actually fight and quarrel with) and the "Answer-Backer Cure."

We both love to turn down our mouths, squint our eyes, blink fiercely, and declare, "I'll do it because I want to, but not because you tell me to!" or "
The memory of these books suddenly came back to me a short while ago when I was trying to think of chapter books that my 7-year-old son might enjoy. I bought the series for him, and he has loved them. Even better, his five-year-old sister has been begging me to read them with her (we take turns reading aloud) and they are a delight to share. If you've never read any of the Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle books, you definitely have to. Much better if you can share them with a child, but I think most adults wo ...more
Maria DeCecco
When I was a kid, my godparents used to send me books for birthdays and Christmas all the time. They got me hooked on The Boxcar Children and the Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle series. I'm thirty now, and recently reread the Boxcar Children and was disappointed to see that they did not withstand the test of time. I braced myself when I decided to reread some Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, expecting to have the same experience, especially considering how dated these stories are.

I was quite tickled to find that Mrs. Pig
Lynn H
My memory of these stories was better than the stories actually are. This was a favorite of mine when I was a child so I loved when I found and bought it to read to my sons. I read it several years ago to my older son and we both enjoyed the silliness of it all. I read it a couple years ago to my younger son. While it was still fun and silly, I noticed much more of the dated ideas and wording of things that time around. Even my son pointed out that the other kids were bullying whichever child wa ...more
Pure childhood nostalgia for me. Mom used to Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle to us when we were kids-- such great memories of laughing together and debating over which "cures" were our favorites. Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle is the most popular lady in the neighborhood with the kids, because she loves them and they love her. Consequently she has a reputation among the local parents as being the person you go to when your kids have developed irritating habits, like fighter-quarreling, never-want-to-go-to-beditis, slowp ...more
The Mrs. Piggle Wiggle books were my favorite books to read in elementary school. I devoured them over and over again. I loved the cleverness of her cures. As an adult I find her cures totally predictable, but as I child Mrs. Piggle Wiggle amazed me with her witty and clever cures. As a mom, I read these books to my own children. They are now reading them to theirs. As a teacher, I choose one or two of her books as a read-a-loud for my third grade class each year. They quickly become their favor ...more
I like Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle . She is very nice and funny . She cures bad habits and she understands children. I wish to meet her someday. To the author: please write more stories! P.S I want to be a writer . (Typed by K8)
Such fond memories of reading these stories over and over as a kid.
I like Mrs Piggle wiggle because it makes me laugh and it lets me look at work differently,also it reminds me of my family.
My daughter really enjoys this series. She's almost seven and has read this omnibus edition several times now. We're currently on a re-read at bedtime.
For older (9-13) kids if reading alone due to vocabulary and context difficulty (they were written in the late 40's), otherwise perfectly acceptable for younger kids in content.
Cute pen and ink illustrations throughout each book.
Anna Tatelman
I hadn't re-read this in years, so I was long overdue for another reading! These stories are simply, in a word, adorable. They manage to both teach life-lessons while also being pure entertainment. I'm giving four stars rather than five only because MacDonald's disregard for commas left me in pain on occasion; I know I tend to abuse my commas, but MacDonald severely underabuses them.
Sierra Rush
I love the stories here. When I was in kindergarden, my teacher would read it to us. It is nice to read something that you love as a little kid; you would still love it grown up. It is a magical tale of a kind, old women with tricks and spells to cure any child's bad habits. Each chapter has a different habit, and a different cure. I think it is a wonderful book.
Mary Warner
I bought this book for our children while we were away from them on a short trip. I love Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's cures for behavior problems - so imaginative. My daughter really took to the book and read and reread it many times. I'm sure it'll go off with her when she grows up and moves out, but she might have to fight me for it!
Madeline Henricksen
"Mrs.Piggle Wiggle Treasury"is about a woman named Mrs. Piggle Wiggle. She cures little kids of loathsome diseases. Some of this miraculous woman's cures are the The Radish Cure,and the Interrupters. She lives in an upside down house, and her husband used to be a pirate. I recommend this book to anybody that likes humorous fiction.
Delightful. Magical. Silly. Fun. Moral. Mrs. Piggle Wiggle is what you get if Pippi Longstocking grows up into Mary Poppins or Nurse Matilda.

The only "problem" I have is that I don't have any magic pills and powders to use with my own kids... :)
My favorite childhood characters are, were and always will be Encyclopedia Brown, Amelia Bedelia and Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle. This book is the best collection of the Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle stories and even as an adult, I read the stories often. You never know when you might need fun child-rearing advice, right?
The longest book that she has read to date! I love, love, love hearing the chuckles from the other room! This is the fourth of our children to read Mrs. PW and it always makes me laugh. Somehow, I cannot hope that there really is a good cure for whining that I have yet to discover. . .
These stories are about silly ways to cure children of their bad habits! I loved them as a kid and love reading them to my children. There is a great vocabulary and some chapters are on the long side, but we can't wait to find out what Mrs. Piggle Wiggle will do next.
Heather McCubbin
I loved these when my 4th grade teacher read them to the class back in the 80s. Now, I read them to students! You may have to change the name "Dick" to "Richard" and explain what a "davenport" is, but the kids LOVE the stories and they only take about 15 minutes to read!
Apr 22, 2012 Dorothy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves cute stories
Recommended to Dorothy by: My mom :)
So cute! Funny stories for ALL ages- I can't stop reading it! {leeor, maya would love this book!} Filled with a bunch of short stories, Mrs. Piggle Wiggle solves problems of all sorts from not picking up toys, to slow eater cure, Mrs. Piggle Wiggle is really fun!
Very fun read-aloud for my girls. They loved hearing the names of the different cures and trying to figure out how they would work on the kids. This edition actually had three books in one. We just did the first book, but we're going to come back for the other two!
Wonderful! I laugh out loud each time I read the story, "The Thought-You-Saiders Cure." I am 47 years old and still look this up from time to time for a lovely return to innocent childhood. Great for kids and adults alike! They don't make them like this anymore.
Mary Pat
I've had so much fun sharing this book with my kids. I just love reading it aloud, and the names of her kids and parents are so funny! The voices are great. Gotta love Mrs. Piggle Wiggle. She makes me want to be a better parent.
I read and re-read every Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle book in the library when I was a child, and couldn't resist picking this up even before I had children to share it with.

And the stories are still as rollicking fun, even for adults.
My 2nd grade teacher read these books to my class. So when I had children these were the first books that I bought so that I could read them to my children. I still love the stories as much as I did when I was a kid.
We REALLY loved these stories. Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle will always be a favorite at this house. We had a lot of fun guessing what the problems would be and then guessing how the cures would work!
This book is very old school and I'm surprised it is still on a reading list for kids in our school district. Funny with great characters, we are enjoying reading this out loud as a family.
  • The Children's Illustrated Bible
  • Sir Lancelot, Where Are You? (Dragon Slayers' Academy, #6)
  • Still More Stories from Grandma's Attic (Grandma's Attic, #3)
  • Grimms' Fairy Tales and Andersen's Fairy Tales
  • Great Tales of Edgar Allan Poe
  • The Snow Day from the Black Lagoon
  • Captain Cat
  • What Are You?: Voices of Mixed-Race Young People
  • The Parable Series: The Parable Of The Lily
  • Big Ben (Puppy Patrol, #2)
  • The Complete Horowitz Horror
  • The Apple Pie That Papa Baked
  • Dangerous Journey: The Story of Pilgrim's Progress
  • The Ghost of Windy Hill
  • Mummies Don't Coach Softball (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #21)
  • The Emperor's New Clothes
  • The Mystery at the Alamo (The Boxcar Children, #58)
  • Drum Dream Girl: How One Girl's Courage Changed Music
The first book written by Betty MacDonald, The Egg and I , rocketed to the top of the national bestseller list in 1945. Translations followed in more than 30 languages, along with a series of popular movies. In the wake of World War II, the hilarious accounts of MacDonald's adventures as a backwoods farmer's wife in Chimacum Valley were a breath of fresh air for readers around the world. On the n ...more
More about Betty MacDonald...

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle (10 books)
  • Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #1)
  • Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Magic (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #2)
  • Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Farm (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #3)
  • Hello, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #4)
  • Happy Birthday, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #5)
  • Mrs. Piggle Wiggle Box Set (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #1,2,3,4)
  • Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Won't-Take-a-Bath Cure (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #6)
  • Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Bad Table-Manners Cure (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #7)
  • Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Cry-Baby Cure (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #8)
Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #1) Hello, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #4) Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Magic (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #2) Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Farm (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #3) The Egg and I (Betty MacDonald Memoirs, #1)