Start by marking “My Lucky Star” as Want to Read:
My Lucky Star

My Lucky Star (Gilbert Selwyn and Friends #3)

In this hilarious, laser-sharp comedy, the Emmy-winning writer and producer of "Frasier" sends up Hollywood pretense higher than it's ever been sent before.
Published November 1st 2006 by Back Bay Books

To ask other readers questions about My Lucky Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Lucky Star

Scott
May 16, 2008 Scott rated it it was amazing
Don’t let the cover fool you with its bad artwork. This is has to be one of the funniest books I have read in years. This is the fourth book, which features Philip, Clair and Gilbert and is by far the most outrageous. In this latest installment in this series, the three friends find themselves stuck writing a Hollywood screenplay and getting caught in the middle of a family feud of a famous celebrity and her closet gay and has-been actress sister. Like I stated, I can’t remember the last time a ...more
Trin
Jun 04, 2007 Trin rated it really liked it
Keenan, a former writer/producer of Fraiser (which I don't believe I have ever actually seen a full episode of), does an impressive job with this comedic novel about a trio of screenwriters, an old Hollywood family with a whole heap of skeletons in its Bel-Air closets, and a newly opened spa/gay brothel. Much of the plot—which is actually incredibly tightly-woven, with many seemly insignificant details having surprising payoffs—revolves around the efforts of starstruck Philip to help protect mov ...more
Rory
Jul 16, 2007 Rory rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: literate folks who also eat up Us magazine
i was a complete sucker for this book. joe keenan wrote for fraiser for years, and all that overstuffed hyper-wit is here in force. not to sound like a book jacket blurb, but it really did read like p.g. wodehouse meets OK magazine.
Jason Mock
Sep 16, 2012 Jason Mock rated it liked it
It's PG Wodehouse in the 2000s in Hollywood.
Sharply written, there are multiple punchlines on every page.
Clever, witty and a LOT of fun!
Kimberley
Jan 16, 2017 Kimberley rated it it was amazing
Hilarious!!
Jeffrey Powanda
Sep 25, 2016 Jeffrey Powanda rated it really liked it
This delightful Hollywood farce is as entertaining as a Marx Brothers movie. And just as funny.

Joe Keenan is a modern P.G. Wodehouse, able to write long, intricate sentences that slither like a snake across the page, finally ending with a perfectly-crafted metaphor, simile, or bon mot. Keenan has had a diverse career. He published two other novels, wrote an award-winning stage musical, and for ten years was a staff writer and producer of the hit TV show Frazier, where he won five Emmy awards, in
Lisa Westerfield
Nov 13, 2011 Lisa Westerfield rated it it was amazing
Funny, Funny Read – ‘My Lucky Star’ by Joe Keenan

You know how the pop culture market it over-saturated with the inner workings of Hollywood? If our citizens where half aware of how things were done in Washington as they were in the entertainment industry, Americas would be the best-informed people of the world. With that said, let me praise ‘My Lucky Star.’

Reading ‘Star’ was like watching a racehorse determined to win. It started out from the gate funny and kept the laughter coming, even durin
Brian
Oct 07, 2016 Brian rated it really liked it
'Wow, this book twists turns like a...twisty turny thing.' -Malchett (sort of)
David
Sep 12, 2008 David rated it did not like it
Shelves: completed
Faustina
Jul 30, 2012 Faustina rated it did not like it
Decent book, but not my taste. The one star is personal and subjective, not objective and based on what I think others will find. Read on if you want to know the specifics, but feel free to ignore me as well.

I should have known better. While I found aspects of the show Frasier funny, overall I found it predictable in a boring rather than comforting way. This novel reads the same way. In all fairness, I just read Marc Acito's novels How I paid for college... and Attack of the Theater People which
Michael
Dec 27, 2010 Michael rated it it was ok
Walter
Apr 06, 2009 Walter rated it really liked it
Keenan's keenly funny, yet never overstating, and his wit is on full display when describing Philip's initial suspicious about the idea that Gilbert had written a script:

“You might have assumed from Gilbert's reference to his "work" that
there exists somewhere a set of actual completed texts of which Gilbert is an author. There does not. There are many things Gilbert likes about being a writer. He enjoys the drinking, the convivial shoptalk with fellow scribes, the sense of superiority to less cr
Marie
Dec 06, 2012 Marie rated it it was amazing
Imagine a screwball caper flick narrated by the sassiest of your sassy gay friends. Throw in a shameless wallow through the delicious worst of hollywood, all aspects depicted with mirth and catty side-comments and a level-headed gal who serves alternatively as greek chorus and savior so that a female reader like myself can smugly associate with the smartest character in the book.

It wasn't the most original thing, I'm sure - even some of the witticisms I'd heard before, but the characters are so
Chris Cangiano
A fast and funny, Joe Keenan - who spent 6 years working as a writer and executive producer on Frasier - has crafted a wonderfully, dare I say, Wodehousian romp through modern-day Hollywood. Philip Cavanaugh and his writing partner Claire Simmons are whisked off from New York to Los Angeles by Philip's unscrupulous friend Gilbert Selwyn to live the high life as Hollywood screenwriters - Gilbert has even arranged for the three to collaborate on a high profile script for a Michael Bay-type directo ...more
Kay
Jun 23, 2011 Kay rated it it was ok
Shelves: humor-whimsy, fiction
Meh. This novel read like an extended sit-com. The problem is I don't really like sit-coms. Presumably Joe Keenan's Frasier stint had a carry-over effect on this novel as I can't recall the earlier two novels in the series, both written before his career as a sit-com writer took off, being as episodic or annoying.

Each page positively exudes bon mots, but, alas, a good many of them seem forced. And then there's the convoluted plot. Well, let's just say I knew there had to be a reason why one arc
Alistair
Jun 12, 2016 Alistair rated it liked it
Shelves: gay-fiction
It's been over a decade since Joe Keenan first introduced us to Philip Cavanaugh, Gilbert Selwyn and the indomitable Claire Simmons in My Blue Heaven, and Putting on the Ritz. They, and a wonderfully zany supporting cast are back in this very funny and long awaited sequel. This time around Philip and Claire are inveigled by Gilbert into moving to Hollywood to write for the movies. Well, that's the initial premise; with Gilbert pulling the strings, chaos and fiascos inevitably dog our hapless her ...more
Jon Wilson
Mar 09, 2011 Jon Wilson rated it really liked it
It seems JK left me waiting forever for this book--dang that Frasier show anyway--and I can't say I was disappointed. It is, of course, extremely derivative of his earlier two Phillip C novels, sort of the same-ol-same-ol recast in the glitzy glow of JK's own Hollywood experiences. But still, certainly, a worthwhile read. There seemed to be a lot of name-dropping, but, while that annoied me personally, it also felt ultimately true to what Phillip would do. I hope I don't have to wait as long for ...more
Mark
Mar 05, 2008 Mark rated it it was amazing
I'm a big fan of Joe Keenan and was so happy to discover that he'd finally written another Philip/Gilbert/Claire book. It was well worth the wait! This book is utterly delightful, constantly surprising and hilariously funny. It's not often when a book makes you laugh out loud and this one did many times. There are so many "Hollywood is evil" books/movies/plays it's so great to get one that's fresh and funny--that get's its point across without being mean spirited and as ugly as what's being sati ...more
Mar 19, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Shelves: bookclub
This was read for book club. I was told to expect uproarious hilarity, and feel deceived. As my buddy Amanda put it best- this book is frothy. It's not bad, exactly, but it was witty... not terribly funny. It was a quick read, and it did keep me engaged. No idea how we will discuss this at book club, however. Is it bad if I found the sex scenes enlightening, but somehow... mundane? I expected more, out of my first very gay novel. Or I should say, my first very openly gay novel (since one could a ...more
Karen
Jan 10, 2013 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, mystery
This book had me laughing out loud. The author is billed as a "gay P.G. Wodehouse", and, while I don't think he quite merits that title, he is a very good writer who has near-Wodehousian skill with a simile. The ending is reminiscent of Ferenc Molnar's "The Play's the Thing" (adapted by P.G. Wodehouse) - but that is a good thing. It's quite cleverly done.

I will be reading Mr. Keenan's other books. A fun read.
Shelley
Jun 13, 2007 Shelley rated it really liked it
PG Wodehouse meets Ted Casablanca. Deliciously funny and over the top, with sharp wit and crazy antics. All the characters were well drawn, and I noticed immediately that Monty was Jack Harkness, age 70 (aka charmingly lecherous), and I was appropriately charmed. Claire and Phil played off each other well and Gilbert was just this side of annoying, as he should be. Definitely going to hunt down the other two books.
Chris
Jul 05, 2008 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Experience the hilarious adventures of Philip, Gilbert and Claire, aspiring screenwriters who take Hollywood by storm with the help of a fake script, a closeted mega-star, his boozy Oscar-winning mom, and her disillusioned starlet sister. A former writer for the television sitcom, Frasier, author Joe Keenan provides us with an insider's view of the ugly side of Hollywood, where only those with enough 'dirt' triumph.
Kip
Mar 08, 2009 Kip rated it really liked it
Shelves: funny
Very, very funny and lots of plot twists. Excellent vacation or beach read, though I would emphatically not recommend to anyone even slightly prudish, as the last third hinges on an explicit situation. It's handled lightly and with a lot of humor, but I cannot imagine the phone call I would get from my mom if I passed this on to her.
Steve Krueger
Jan 26, 2008 Steve Krueger rated it really liked it
This very sharp-witted farce careens through plot twists. The characters emit quips that would take me days of brooding to compose. The story is peopled faded starlets turned matrons, closeted action stars, ruthless agents and studios and our protagonists who are duped by all they meet. This is a light, frothy summer book, whatever the season.
John
Aug 19, 2007 John rated it liked it
Boy is this a tough one to review! It's been a decade since the two previous books in the series came out (so to speak); I read thisone without re-reading those first. Big mistake! So ... I can recommend it as the third of three, but not really as a stand-alone. Hope that makes sense!
Nov 10, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it
This is a sharp, funny, fast-paced "showbiz" story. Keenan's screen writing experience shines through in the dialogue. I almost feel like the story would work even better adapted for the stage or screen.
Nancy
Dec 04, 2014 Nancy rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, on-bookshelf, lgbt
Madcap fun! This novel is a quick, easy read and one I didn't want to put down. Great characters; outlandish but believable plot; witty dialogue and good laughs all combined nicely for a good read.
Susi
Feb 08, 2012 Susi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a book group read and I would never have picked it off a shelf, but I really enjoyed it. It was very funny and even though you just wanted to kill some of the characters for their bad decisions their hearts were in the right place.
Eoin
Dec 01, 2008 Eoin rated it really liked it
It was the best of the three Joe Keenan books that I have read... surprisingly it was more outrageous, yet seemingly took less suspension of disbelief than the other two. Enjoyed it... a funny romp through hollywood.
Andrew
Sep 13, 2007 Andrew rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Hollywood Buffs
Shelves: humor
If you like satire and farce, are not put off by explicit male homosexual sex, and have a sarcastic bend, this book is for you. The story is well spun and characters very silly. If you like your humor "out there" this is a fun read. Sort of Hollywood gay version of a Comedy of Errors.

• The Dreyfus Affair: A Love Story
  • The Easy Way Out
  • The Actor's Guide To Murder (A Jarrod Jarvis Mystery #1)
  • The Men from the Boys
  • Kept Boy
  • The Marble Quilt
  • Fellow Travelers
  • The Good Neighbor
  • The Trouble Boy
  • Death Vows (Donald Strachey, #9)
  • Standish
  • When You Don't See Me
  • Last Summer
  • Misadventures in the 213
  • Innuendo (Todd Mills Mystery, #5)
  • Like People in History
  • Brendan Wolf
  • Little Me: The Intimate Memoirs of that Great Star of Stage, Screen and Television/Belle Poitrine/as told to

Gilbert Selwyn and Friends (3 books)
  • Blue Heaven
  • Putting on the Ritz

“Gilbert, as a rule, used money the way women use pepper spray; he liked having some handy but only produced it when physically threatened.” 4 likes
“Though I could agree with him that Miss Gamache had a good heart, I couldn't read her book without wanting to plunge an ice pick into it while screaming, 'That's for chapter four!” 3 likes