Start by marking “The Complete Short Stories” as Want to Read:
The Complete Short Stories
read book

The Complete Short Stories

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  777 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Herbert George Wells was perhaps best known as the author of such classic works of science fiction as The Time Machine and War of the Worlds. But it was in his short stories, written when he was a young man embarking on a literary career, that he first explored the enormous potential of the scientific discoveries of the day. He described his stories as "a miscellany of inv ...more
Published May 1st 2001 by Orion Publishing (first published September 1927)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Short Stories

Mickey
'The Door in the Wall' is probably the most affecting, bitter sweet short story I have ever read.
It is full of yearning, for lost youth, for lost childhood, for lost love. The central character's fate is inevitable, from the moment he first spies the green door in the wall as an infant, and venturing inside, finds the radiant blonde girl that will haunt him for the rest of his life.

It is a story of obsession, of chances lost, and the self-defeating procrastination that comes with the dogged pu
Dave
In 1927, Ernest Benn Ltd. Published “The Short Stories of H. G. Wells”, a collection of 63 works of short fiction and nearly 1150 pages of Wells at his best. The collection has a set of sections, which correspond to previously published collections of Wells’ stories. Some of these stories are clearly science fiction, others are more general fiction, but worth reading nonetheless.

The first section is titled “The Time Machine and Other Stories”. This section is not taken from the contents of anoth
Akrabar
حاتم عاشور
كاتب يتميز بمخلية تعيش في المستقبل .. رواياته عادة ما تحتوي على الخوارق وما وراء الطبيعة الحياتية المعتادة.

لا يمكن أن أعتبر روايتها من الأفضل ولا حتى متوسط ما قرأت .. لكن لا يمكنني أيضاً أن أغفل بعض القصص عالية المستوى التي بقيت في بالي.
التبابين يبان جداً بين القصص .. فواحدة لا تستطيع أن تكملها من الملل .. وأخرى لا تستطيع أن تترك الكتاب دون أن نتهي القصة .. ربما للترجمة دور في إفقاد روح القصة .. ربما !

4 كتب تعتبر كثيرة وطويلة ومرهقة أن تقرأها متسلسلة .. اجعل السلسلة بجانبك واقرأها منها بين ال
Tony Torres
As a young man, I loved Wells. As a disaffected kid who thought he could find truth hidden somewhere inside a book, Wells' novels and stories were some of my favorite places to look.
Dev Sodagar
This is a bit of a mixed bag of stories with some rather awkward and hard to get through whilst others are up to the finest standards of Wells' writing. Opening with The Time Machine set the bar rather high for the rest of the book but some of the tales (The Purple Pileus in particular) really are worth reading.
David
I knew that H.G. Wells had an excellent imagination from his novels, but the short story is truly a much more expressive location for his thoughts. The stories range from mere anecdotes to novelas, with a vast array of subjects: science fiction, history, romance... basically anything you can think of. And the few duds in here are completely smothered by the many great stories. There is a definite improvement in writing style over the course of Wells' career, and there are extremely diverse shift ...more
cathbodua59
This was mainly for a reading for our course, 'Science Fiction/Fantasy: The Human Mind and Our Modern World'. Short Stories read are: 'The Star', 'The Country of The Blind' and 'The Country of The Blind' (revised).

H.G. Wells was quite a difficult read as his writing differs from most contemporary Science Fiction Writers, but, once you get past the point of nonchalance; his writing is very interesting with shocking endings.

My Favourite Short Story was 'The Country of The Blind' (revised). The end
مي رضوان
اول حاجة اقرأها لويلز ..عجبني انه سابق عصره وخياله واسع ف العلوم ..فيه حاجات عجبتني وحاجات اسهب ف وصفها فحسيت بالملل..لاحظت انه بيستخدم لغه عنصريه ف الكلام عن غير الاوروبيين..كلمات زي ..زنجي..همجي..بدائي..تم استخدامها بكثرة ف وصف شخصيات ملونة او غير اوروبيه..غير التهكم والسخرية منها..وسخريته من فكرة الدين ككل..برضه دي مجرد ملحظات مبدئية.. مش هقدر احكم غير لما اكمل باقي المجموعات القصصية وبعدين اقول رأي عام ..
Cat Grimalkin Niedzwiecki
"The Crystal Egg" is available to read on Goodreads. A frabjous little tale. I laughed out loud a couple of times and grubbed up the descriptions of the shop in the beginning. Do Gnomes guard crystals or just treasures in the earth? The characters were like little greedy gnomes. However, there are only so many facets to having so many facets, and the explanations of the crystal seemed *moss-grown.*
Matt C.
A different version of this book was in my college library. If I had an hour or two between classes, I would go there, pick up this book and read for a while in one of the chairs there (often dozing off as well). I got through most of it, there are some real gems, including many predictions from Wells of the future that have actually come to pass. A good read if you like sci-fi.
Martha
Had never read anything by H.G. Wells and, based on the movie version of "The Time Machine," I expected his stories to be very dated and kind of corny. Some of them were a little bit, but mostly they were really well written, and some even had serious points. (I thought they would all be adventure stories like Jules Verne's -- whose stories I also know only through movies.)
Brett's Books
Like most anthologies the stories in this one were hit or miss. I generally like HG Wells inventiveness and enjoy those stories where his God given sense of wonder are on display; while avoiding the stories that overtly push his aesthetic or anti-Catholic views. Some of the stories in this book weren't that great.
Kc
Long descriptive writing style but so much imagination. There were so many stories in this rather thick book but some of my favorites were The Time Machine, The Country of the Blind, The Sad Story of a Dramatic Critic and A Dream of Armageddon.
Danielle
The God of Science fiction shows his immense influence in this small collection of short stories that had been published in several science fiction journals. Magnificent. The story regarding the Bacillus vial is a particular delight.
Gordon
I read selected stories in here. His ability to see the future is worth the price of admission. Many stories are dated and lose savor. He is prolific like King and often not much better. I enjoy both men.
Britton Grier
This gets a 5 star not because I loved every story, but for "The Truth about Pyecraft." Had all his other stories been wretched, the rating would have been the same as this story would redeem them all.
Deslyn Brown
Have only read some of it, had to take it back to the library, will continue reading more of the short stories it provides someday soon. So far it's a great & intriguing book.
I'm using "A Story of the Stone Age" for my thesis and would like to finish "The Crystal Egg" soon. These stories simply don't get enough credit!
Anne
Although most of hg's settings were either 19th century England or Brazil, he never failed in bringing vivid imagination to his stories.
Sørina
I'm using one story, "The Man Who Could Work Miracles," for philosophy class. It was made into a fascinating old b&w movie. Do read it!
Phil Crosby
Apr 12, 2013 Phil Crosby is currently reading it
Some of his short stories are truly visionary and way ahead of their time. esp. In the land of the blind
Rabya
Oct 17, 2010 Rabya marked it as to-read
"the night bookmobile" by audrey niffenger referenced this book, and inspired me to read it.
Andy
Love these short stories. They are perfect for reading during break time at work.
Vivian Vilmin
I read the story "The Star" it is about Neptune and was really good.
James Ravenscroft
A fantastic compilation of some of Wells' best works.
The Door in the Wall ... Superb
  • The Science Fiction of Edgar Allan Poe
  • Fantasy Writer's Assistant and Other Stories
  • The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke
  • Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde with the Merry Men & Other Stories
  • The Black Cat and Other Stories (Penguin Readers Level 3)
  • Store of the Worlds: The Stories of Robert Sheckley
  • Victor Hugo: A Biography
In 1866, (Herbert George) H.G. Wells was born to a working class family in Kent, England. Young Wells received a spotty education, interrupted by several illnesses and family difficulties, and became a draper's apprentice as a teenager. The headmaster of Midhurst Grammar School, where he had spent a year, arranged for him to return as an "usher," or student teacher. Wells earned a government schol ...more
More about H.G. Wells...
The Time Machine The War of the Worlds The Invisible Man The Island of Dr. Moreau The Time Machine/The Invisible Man