Start by marking “American Mafia: A History of Its Rise to Power” as Want to Read:
American Mafia: A History of Its Rise to Power

American Mafia: A History of Its Rise to Power

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  154 ratings  ·  11 reviews
A history of the rise of the Mafia in the world of crime and in the mainstream American political and economic life

Organized crime-the Italian American kind-has long been a source of popular entertainment and legend. Now, Thomas Reppetto provides a balanced history of the Mafia's rise-from the 1880s to the post-WWII era-that is as exciting and readable as it is authoritati
Published January 6th 2004 by Henry Holt and Co. (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about American Mafia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Mafia

Steven
A solid accounting of the history of organized crime in the US from about 1880 to 1951. It ia interesting how the history of one book varies from the other, but this one provides documentation of its sources.
Veronica
This is super hard to get into!
Christopher Lonero
Honestly, I would probably only give this book a 2.5 star rating. As some have commented already, this book is very hard to get into. I found this book difficult to follow with all the names mentioned through the chapters. I don't have much knowledge with the history of the American Mafia, thus the reason for the read. The book is extremely compact in information in which I found myself many times wanting to put it down because of the overabunance of details. However, this book does provide an e ...more
Eva
Some snippets were interesting, but I really don't need the blow-by-blow of the US Mafia's entire history. Some quotes:

"Across the country, many editorial pages all but congratulated the lynch mob. Even the New York Times editorial observed that while 'this affair is to be deplored, it would be difficult to find any one individual who . . . deplored it very much.'" - p17

On the code of silence and not turning to the police:
"One [detective] related how when a young Italian was shot and killed on a
Bookmarks Magazine

There's no one better equipped to tell this story than Reppetto, president of the Citizens Crime Commission of New York City and former Chicago commander of detectives. Dispelling popular myths about the American Mafia perpetuated by the media and entertainment industry, Reppetto casts new light on the history of the mob's evils. Instead of one Mr. Big, there was a highly organized business network. Reppetto's evenhanded analysis of the Mafia's key men and their powerful opponents creates drama

Luci
There is a lot of information in this book, but I agree with other reviewers. It is hard to follow because the information isn't organized well. I don't blame the author... he really tries to get a lot of information in there. The book has a large scope, and perhaps that is some of the issue. But the info is really interesting. I like how he traced the mob from its beginnings and underlined the idea of an "American" mafia.
Jake Keyes
Just a broad overview of the history of the mob. Nothing too insightful or exciting.
Arne-Jan
Boeiend om al het filmgeweld over de Amerikaanse maffia eindelijk tegen de werkelijkheid te kunnen houden. Die vergelijking gaat heel goed op, zo blijkt. Het echte inside verhaal mis ik ik echter in dit boek.
Phil Duckworth
A really good history of the rise and decline of organised crime in the US. Puts the Godfather in context in a way! I'll never change my tyre ever again, I'll get someone else to do it.
Cat Phelps
I loved this book, I am very interested in how the Mafia came to be and its influence on our country historically and yet today.
Dana
3 stars for being well researched but it did get a bit dense and hard to get through at times.
Krzysztof Boboli
Krzysztof Boboli marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
John
John marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Asser
Asser marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
KC
KC marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Martin Lund
Martin Lund marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
tieysha
tieysha marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
David Cowen
David Cowen marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
  • Capone: The Man and the Era
  • Paddy Whacked: The Untold Story of the Irish American Gangster
  • Mafia Dynasty: The Rise and Fall of the Gambino Crime Family
  • Rothstein: The Life, Times, and Murder of the Criminal Genius Who Fixed the 1919 World Series
  • Donnie Brasco: Unfinished Business
  • The First Family: Terror, Extortion, Revenge, Murder, and the Birth of the American Mafia
  • The St. Valentine's Day Massacre: The Untold Story of the Gangland Bloodbath That Brought Down Al Capone
  • Five Families: The Rise, Decline, and Resurgence of America's Most Powerful Mafia Empires
  • Cosa Nostra: A History of the Sicilian Mafia
  • My Ears Are Bent
  • For the Sins of My Father: A Mafia Killer, His Son, and the Legacy of a Mob Life
  • The Outfit: The Role of Chicago's Underworld in the Shaping of Modern America
  • All-Night Party: The Women of Bohemian Greenwich Village and Harlem, 1913-1930
  • Mafia Prince: Inside America's Most Violent Crime Family and the Bloody Fall of La Cosa Nostra
  • Mr. Capone
  • Double Cross: The Explosive, Inside Story of the Mobster Who Controlled America
  • Predator
  • Amusing the Million: Coney Island at the Turn of the Century
Bringing Down the Mob: The War Against the American Mafia NYPD: A City and Its Police Battleground New York City American Police: A History, 1845-1945