Start by marking “Mommies Who Drink: Sex, Drugs, and Other Distant Memories of an Ordinary Mom” as Want to Read:
Mommies Who Drink: Sex, Drugs, and Other Distant Memories of an Ordinary Mom

Mommies Who Drink: Sex, Drugs, and Other Distant Memories of an Ordinary Mom

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  425 ratings  ·  96 reviews
Published August 10th 2006 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Mommies Who Drink, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mommies Who Drink

Skostal
I once told a friend, "I don't get an orgasm from cleaning my house." In fact, much of domestic life bores the !X&$@ out of me. Once a year, I get my Martha on, and do insanely involved Christmas crafts, and that is pretty much good enough to carry me another 12 months. And so it is not unlikely that I would pick up Mommies Who Drink, described as a polemic against modern mothering. The book is at times wry, touching, and spot-on (i.e., the fact that some of us are more apt to go to school m ...more
Gina Boyd
Brett Paesel has written for Hip Mama and Brain, Child. She's smart, funny, and a wonderful writer to spend time with. I wish this book had been around when I was a new mom, because I felt a lot of the same sense of loss and bewilderment that Paesel describes, along with that same feeling of guilt at not being over the moon about my new baby and motherhood status.

The best thing about the book is that there's little back pedaling in effort to reassure readers that she loves her kids. It's always
Mayme
I found this memoir truly entertaining. Paesel’s raw honesty in regard to a very sensitive subject is refreshing. Not all mothers will “get” Paesel. Those mothers who are boxed in by social and familial constraints will find it difficult to allow themselves to admit that sometimes their children make them feel something other than bliss. The author cares little about what is socially acceptable to admit. Though you may not be able to identify with the specifics of Paesel’s situations or parental ...more
Lora
Jan 03, 2008 Lora rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Yvonne, Lisa, Patty, Julie, Catherine, Nicole, Kellie, Tara, Julia
Seriously one of the funniest books I have ever read. I want to meet this woman. I'm not even a mom, but I was laughing out loud. It's not even cheesy / Paul Reiser parental observational humor - it's WAY better than that. So very funny. Loved it.
Valissa
Anyone who can take the horror and fear and confusion about parenthood and make it funny and real gets an automatic five stars. Paesel improved upon even that by including the crazy near-imaginary world of LA and Hollywood. Her book makes me long for girlfriends to meet up with regularly, to drink and talk and forget for a little while that I am an increasingly older woman with a child, no longer cutesy or adorable.

Funny and heartful, I wish I had found this sooner. The biggest question for me
Niki
I can't remember why I had this book in my Audible account. I think something about the title of it made me laugh and it sounded interesting. And interesting it was.

I was impressed with Ms. Paesel being very frank and honest about many aspects in her life. Be it friend, wife, mother, actress, author, etc. I liked that she hit all of those points and talked about them equally. I love her group of friends that she meets at the bar every Friday afternoon for their time away from life to just sit a
carissa
For young single women, every night is Ladies' Night. For Brett Paesel and her friends, Friday happy hour is all they get--if they can wrangle a babysitter. Like most mommies, they support each other through pregnancies, sleep deprivation, and the need to talk about it all. Instead of meeting at the playground, they convene at the local watering hole while sipping Black and Tans and flirting with the cute bartender. With a poignant voice and a fresh style that makes this memoir read like the bes ...more
Joy Barnes
Oct 06, 2007 Joy Barnes rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Moms of young kids
What a fun read! Although it is “laugh out loud” funny, it also deals with some of the serious issues of motherhood… mostly around feeling a loss of identity after you’ve become a “mommy”. This book is perfect for women, like myself, who left a career to raise her young kids, but struggles with the day to day life of being a mom.
It is the author’s memoirs and her antics are hilarious. It kind of reminds me of the book, “Hypocrite in a Puffy White Dress” … as if that author continued on to the “
Lisa
The author admits that she still craves "a stranger to fuck me blind in a parking lot after loading me up on margaritas and Thai stick". She also crave blow and other things that I guess I cant really relate to having never experienced that lifestyle beofre my children. Maybe thats why I didnt connect with this book like I thought I would. I read Sippy Cups Are Not for Chardonnay: And Other Things I Had to Learn as a New Mom and really liked that book along these same lines. This book, not so mu ...more
Allyson
Not really sure how to rate this book. There were definitely parts that I enjoyed; I literally laughed out loud several times. But overall, I found it very reminiscent of Jenny McCarthy's books on pregnancy/motherhood so the idea seemed unoriginal and underwhelming. Paesel's efforts to be edgy and funny often came across as whiny and forced instead. There were several times when I just did not believe what she was writing; I thought to myself "that would never happen". But beneath all the fluff, ...more
Melody
Paesel is an actor who lives in LA. She's about my age, and the book is billed as a memoir. I have to read books like this, it's a compulsion. On the surface the author and I have only age and having bred in common. I kept feeling that way through the first half of the book, and admit to rolling my eyes more than once. Somehow though, Paesel's vulnerability started to win me over, and by the last chapter, in which I shared her feelings exactly, I was right in her corner. I applaud any mother who ...more
Hilary
I guess I'm not really the target audience for this book. I can empathize with the feeling that the world somehow mutates women from normal people into weird, crunchy "moms" with no life, but not with some of the attitudes.

The opening scene where she and her other friends try to plan a night out with limo, alcohol and cocaine but get thwarted by their calenders (playdates needing sleep beforehand) is no doubt meant to be funny but felt very awkward and forced to me. I kept reading, hoping the B
Brenda
Uhh...not what i expected. Had some laugh out loud funny stuff, some poignant moments, and a bunch of raunchy stuff. some of her stories I could relate to and some I just couldn't - she didn't seem so ordinary to me. My impression of Brett as I read the book was that she is a shallow, self absorbed, Hollywood type in a marriage that probably won't last too much longer. But the last chapter left me feeling hopeful for her. And i think I liked the interview with her at the end the best of all. She ...more
Cmayorga Mayorga
Okay so the title might scare some mothers away, but not me! I actually purchased this as a book on cd for a Houston to Dallas trip. Brett Paesel had me cracking up on the road at times. Even though the title and even the first two chapters seemed a bit over the top, it really was a pretty good book (for moms who drink...not drunks!!) If you are not a parent it probably will not be as funny. If you are a perfect parent you probably will not like this book.
Note: If you do get the book on cd plea
Michelle
Aug 20, 2008 Michelle rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who have mothers, want to mother, or don't want to mother (everyone)
Recommended to Michelle by: Title Caught My Eye
I'm a 28 year-old who thinks about shriveled eggs, my biological clock, my innate need to mother and the fact that I am SO nowhere near marriage it's pathetic. I don't know how to cook, I would rather stick a number two pencil in my eye than clean someone else's mess, and frankly, I like to be waited on. This probably makes no sense. What I'm trying to say is I am not a mother...but I loved this book. I found it funny, brutally honest, and thought provoking on all aspects of motherhood. And I'm ...more
Cassandra McCall
I know, surprise, surprise - I would read a book entitled Mommies Who Drink. I got this from my soon-to-be sister-in-law, and I liked it very much. Even though I am still breastfeeding and can't actually drink (to drunkenness), it was good. At times a bit boring - but it did have the following line in it which I find worth the entire book "An overeater herself, she encourages complicity." And for some reason, the chapter about mothers dying just totally got me, and I started crying. Hello hormon ...more
William
Hilarious and real,The cover, which has design references to the classic children's book, Goodnight Moon is very delightful. This is not a memoir about tragic drunken parenting, it's more of a realistic adaptation of the fear of losing your personal identity after motherhood. Being a parent, however, is not essential, for everyone will appreciate how funny, so very funny, Mommies Who Drink is.
Jenn
I appreciate the fact that this book made me laugh out loud, nearly cry, and feel a "connectedness" with other mommies regardless of backgrounds or parenting styles. It was a sort of collection of essays about motherhood bound by interwoven chapters where Paesel met with her mommy pals for happy hour each Friday. It was mostly entertaining even if it wasn't compelling.
Ann
technically, i have not read this book yet,i've been listening to it as a book on cd. it's one of the best i have listened to. brett is an actress so she reads well and she has a great voice. driving to work has been such a pleasure while listening to this. it is so funny. i ordered a copy from the book store and i want to read it as soon as i pick it up.
Ann
May 24, 2008 Ann rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Steph, Moe, Jules, Janet, Neen &mom who needs a reminder that booze can sometimes make us better!
Shelves: chick-lit
Liked most of the book, but I didn't love Brett as a person. Her friends seem to be characters, not real, and all a little too perfectly pigeonholed. Brett made most of her own issues. . .and made too much of them at times.

The best part of the book was the chapter where one character's mom dies. .. well written, very poignant, and hit home.
Michelle
Dec 12, 2007 Michelle rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mothers, former fun girls, breeders
Shelves: memoir, motherhood
I only ever have time to sit and read on the bus, which was good because I got to stretch the hillarity out. The 'fuck' off between her mother and brother had me rolling. The other bus riders now think I'm too weird to sit next to. It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. I really hope Brett comes out with more mommy material soon.
Lzappone
I never finished this book because it wasn't good. It was trying to be something it wasn't. Perhaps if I lived in LA I could have related to the lifestyle and I suppose if I had read to the end I have would have gotten to the part where she was actually glad to have had a child at all...I hope!!!
Marti Mattox
funny little memoir of la mommydom. given to me by a friends ex girlfriend who likes to drink but does not have any intention of being a mommy - last I heard anyway. it has a sandra sing lo kind of humour, self deprecating, jaded city girl with a soft heart. it was a funny afternoon read.
Lori
Ok...I'll admit I didn't finish this one. It was just too much. I guess maybe because I wasn't the strung out druggie partier that she was I found it hard to relate. I was thinking it would be slightly more relatable (as I'm a mommie who craves a drink now and again!) but not so much.
Carly
One of those that makes you wonder who she slept with to get this book published. The only reason I gave it two stars were for the couple of times I laughed out loud. Other than that she is an over privileged actress who is trying to sell books by her name.
Julie
Funny, heart-wrenching and brutally honest, Mommies Who Drink is an unflinching look at motherhood Brett Paesel style. It was scary how much of this I could relate to (although some of it not at all). I wish I could join her Friday Happy Hour.
Brandi
Author is a bit self indulgent, and I found myself more annoyed with her angst than feeling empathy for her. NOT the laugh out loud book it was advertized to be, but entertaining if you are on an 8 hour flight to Germany.
Deanna
Jul 20, 2009 Deanna is currently reading it
I picked this up off my friend Michele's bookshelf - hmmmm, what are you trying to tell me, Michele? Compelling concept and perfect reading for the weekend my husband and little one travel to the grandparents...
Kristen
Recommended by my firend Wendy, I was in tears (from laughter) by page 2. It is a great book start to finish. The author's life and mine are very diferent but I could imagine that to which I could not relate.
Dayna
Still reading this one but I am loving it. I have laughed with just about every chapter. Oh mommyhood.

For some this book may be a little shocking - it is no pristine look at being a mom. Funny as all get out though!
  • The Spinster And Her Enemies: Feminism And Sexuality 1880-1930
  • Faith and Betrayal: A Pioneer Woman's Passage in the American West
  • Women's Letters: America from the Revolutionary War to the Present
  • Wild Child: Girlhoods in the Counterculture
  • Meeting Faith: The Forest Journals of a Black Buddhist Nun
  • STFU, Parents: The Jaw-Dropping, Self-Indulgent, and Occasionally Rage-Inducing World of Parent Overshare
  • Hen Frigates
  • Undercurrents: A Life Beneath the Surface
  • A Celebration of Sex: A Guide to Enjoying God's Gift of Sexual Intimacy
  • Seafaring Women: Adventures of Pirate Queens, Female Stowaways & Sailors' Wives
  • Perfect Madness: Motherhood in the Age of Anxiety
  • Microthrills: True Stories from a Life of Small Highs
  • The God Gene: How Faith Is Hardwired into Our Genes
  • A Jury of Her Peers: American Women Writers from Anne Bradstreet to Annie Proulx
  • Abduction: Human Encounters with Aliens
  • Sacred Pleasure: Sex, Myth and the Politics of the Body
  • Bad Bridesmaid: Bachelorette Brawls and Taffeta Tantrums--Tales from the Front Lines
  • Reasons Mommy Drinks