Start by marking “The Thackery T. Lambshead Pocket Guide to Eccentric and Discredited Diseases” as Want to Read:
The Thackery T. Lambshead Pocket Guide to Eccentric and Discredited Diseases

The Thackery T. Lambshead Pocket Guide to Eccentric and Discredited Diseases

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  518 ratings  ·  44 reviews
From Delusions of Universal Grandeur to Twentieth Century Chronoshock, this amusing pocket guide to concocted diseases - designed and illustrated by John Coulthart - features an anthology of slightly morbid, darkly humorous ailments and prognosis srved up by such renowned luminaries as Neil Gaiman, Alan Moore, Michael Moorcock, Gahan Wilson, Brian Stableford, and Michael B...more
Published December 8th 2003 by Night Shade Books (first published 2003)

Be the first to ask a question about The Thackery T. Lambshead Pocket Guide to Eccentric and Discredited Diseases

Holy Bible by AnonymousNaked Lunch by William S. BurroughsHouse of Leaves by Mark Z. DanielewskiFear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. ThompsonAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll
Weirdest Books Ever
60th out of 332 books — 480 voters
The Zombie Survival Guide by Max BrooksImaginary Magnitude by Stanisław LemGnomes by Wil HuygenNazi Literature in the Americas by Roberto BolañoPale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov
Fictional Nonfiction
9th out of 29 books — 27 voters

More lists with this book...

Katy
May 23, 2014 Katy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Book Info: Genre: Medical Guide Satire/Speculative fiction shorts
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: Anyone who likes a laugh

My Thoughts: If you want to know what sort of lunacy to expect from this book, here is just a tiny taste.
Discussing Ballistic Organ Syndrome: “In rare cases, the Ballistitis virus infects the patient's entire body. Eventually, some event causes one or more cells to rupture, after which the patient's body is disrupted in an explosive ejection of all bodily organs. This m
Dan
Jul 18, 2007 Dan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hypochondriacs; hyperchondriacs; allasochondriacs
This is probably the paradigmatic example of the category I call "unreliable reference" . . . Jeff Vandermeer and his circle of weirdos got together and decided to write stories in the surprisingly fecund format of a diagnostic guide to diseases. Since said circle includes such luminaries as Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, Michael Moorcock, and the underrated but astounding Michael Cisco, the maladies in this book are sometimes so perfectly True that you may find yourself infected. Thankfully, the edit...more
Peggy
Purporting to be the latest edition of a long-standing medical guide, Lambshead is, in reality, an anthology featuring several of today's best fantasists working at the top of their game. Some entries are humorous, others are serious, but all are enjoyable. There's a sense of fun to this book that's quite...well...infectious.

Editors VanderMeer and Roberts have assembled a stellar crew of cohorts, and everyone is clearly on the same page. The internal references in the various entries to Dr. Lamb...more
Donald Armfield
Jeff Vandermeer founder of genre "New Weird" brings all the weirdos together to update the chapbooks and pocket guides of Thackeray T. Lambshead's discredited diseases.

An all star cast of authors such as; Neil Gainman, Alan Moore, Cory Doctorow. to name a few and some of my favorites Brian Evenson, Paul Di Filippo, and Steve Aylett. Of all 56 contributers they all put weird sickness on the pages.

My Favorites:
-Chronic Zygotio Dermis Disorder
-Fungal Disenchantment
-Fuseli's Disease
-Hsing's Spontane...more
Andy
Well. The name of this book pretty much says it all. In this rather large pocket guide you get a amazingly detailed and wacky written collection of awkward and funky diseases. Just by taking a couple quick glimpses of the book, I knew I had to have it. Each condition comes with it's country of origin, first known cause, symptoms, history, and cure/treatments. This is really some of the best and entertaining writing I have read in awhile. This guide will cause moments of confused and strange laug...more
Lanea
This is silly and cute and a pretty fun read. The book is an anthology of imaginary diseases invented by a slew of sci-fi and fantasy writers. A few are priceless, and I was not surprised at all that Michael Moorcock and Neil Gaiman wrote most of the reports that were the funniest and most inventive. It's not an Earth-shattering good book, but it's nice way to pass the time here and there. Toss if on your coffee table and read a disease or two a day.
Rick
This book is exactly what the title suggests with contributions from Neil Gaiman, Michael Moorcock, Alan Moore, China Miéville, Jeffrey Ford, Kage Baker and many others. Where else could you read about post-traumatic placebosis, female hyper-orgasmic epilepsy, or vestigial elongation of the caudal vertebrae?
Mark Desrosiers
Given that "homosexuality" is now an eccentric and discredited disease, I was hoping for more edgy social commentary along the same lines. Nothing doing. This is weird and sometimes chuckle-worthy, but on the whole it seems the writers creating it are having more fun than us, the readers.
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
An eccentric conceit and an amusing book. Mostly lightweight, largely self-indulgent although some entries tap into a more ominous or genuinely fantastic vein. Still, this is one you'd want to buy a cheaper edition of unless you're some sort of book fetishist or new weird fanboy.
Eustacia Tan
On Monday, I was happily browsing the library, trying to find a series in which I forgot the title and author but knew the general location it was at. And did I mention that this was before the library re-arranged the shelves? Well, one pleasant find was this book: The Pocket Guide to Eccentric & Discredited Diseases edited by Jeff Vandermeer & Mark Roberts.

When I got home, I realised that it was like an anthology (many authors) which include Neil Gaiman and Mieville China. My reaction?...more
Célia
Este Almanaque do Dr. Thackery T. Lambshead de Doenças Excêntricas e Desacreditadas é apresentado ao leitor como uma edição comemorativa de um Guia médico muito especial, que o Dr. Thackery T. Lambshead vem a publicar desde os anos 20 do século XX, e que consiste num compêndio de doenças cuja existência, como o seu título indica, levanta grandes dúvidas à comunidade médica. Esta edição da Saída de Emergência não é apenas a tradução do livro original, uma vez que conta com cerca de 100 páginas de...more
Katrine
The Thackery T. Lambshead Pocket Guide to Eccentric and Discredited Diseases is almost impossible to describe. It is, beyond a doubt, one of the best books I've read in a very long time - certainly the most enjoyable. How rarely can one find enjoyment in every single aspect of a book, from the title page through the index, to the actual content, to the comments on the back cover? Although it is a collaboration between several skilled writers, everything blends together seemlessly, creating a com...more
Ευθυμία Δεσποτάκη
Εξωφρενικές ασθένειες όπως η Χαρτοβλογιά, οι Αυταπάτες Συμπαντικού Μεγαλείου, η Διαταραχή Παθολογικής Μηχανοργάνωσης και το Σύνδρομο Ντάουνλόουντ, αναπτύσσονται λεπτομερώς από 55 ειδικευμένους ξένους ντοτόρους (και 9 Έλληνες), όπως ο Λάμλευ, ο Μέλβιλ, ο Γκάιμαν, ο Μούρκοκ, ο Βαντερμεερ, ο Βανέλλης κι ο Μπαμπούρης.
Althea Ann
A very strange volume… allegedly a guide, as the title states, to bizarre diseases, this book has contributions from some of the top names in the business (Neil Gaiman, Michael Moorcock, China Mieville, Kage Baker, etc), but the entries aren’t really (quite) stories…
Each author has made up a disease, syndrome or ailment, and prepared a short (most are 2-4 pages) entry regarding this ailment, its history and symptoms. The imaginary diseases range from the funny to the truly disturbing and grotes...more
Wes
This is a very interesting book. I would describe it as Gaslamp fantasy, with a touch of horror, in a shared world anthology. An anthology of extremely short "stories" all with a particular format. The conceit of a medical journal makes it so each authors voice is somewhat muted, (Gaiman's entry isn't obviously Gaiman, for example,) but at the same time it helps make the anthology more cohesive than most - even those that are shared world (say, Martin's Wild Cards .)
Andrew
This is a curious book. It is written in the style of an old victorian medial reference book - with each medical condition catalogued and explained. In may cases along with illustrations. There are numerous contributors such as Neil Gaiman and Michael Moorcock - (you may question their medical validity). As the title says all of the conditions are now discredited - though their symptoms and treatments are highly entertaining. My only criticism of this books is the quality of the printed page. Th...more
Ez
An interesting little collection that's perhaps a little too earnest to read all in one go, lest an over-sensitive hypochondriac become prone to itching or bouts of worry - are my organs about to spontaneously fly away? Due to the collective nature of the work, some ailments are more meticulously described than others.

Excellent for dipping into now and again, rich in gory details and nifty anatomical diagrams.
Billie
This collection is probably only a four-star collection in truth, but I have a thing for books about diseases--be they real or imaginary--so it got a bonus star.
Robert
Funny in places, much too dull in others. I feel like the jokes would be funnier if I had a medical background.
Douglas Summers-Stay
The editors asked tons of authors (China Mieville, Neil Gaiman, Cory Doctorow, Michael Moorcock, Michael Bishop to name a few I recognized) to each invent a bizarre disease according to a given template, and compiled them into a book. It's very imaginative, very weird, and very gross.
I have a good local used bookstore with a website, called Wonder Book. I always check to see if they have a book I want because they don't charge for shipping to the store, so if a book is available it's often cheap...more
Jamie
The looks I got reading this in the break room at work...
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/195017.html[return][return]Based on the title, and the list of contributors, I expected this to be a real riot. I have to say I was somewhat disappointed; too much repetition of disorders where writers get consumed by their own work or vice versa, or suffer random medical explosions, or limb-rotting. The humour is grotesque rather than witty or satirical, and basically didn't appeal to me much. The narrative sections towards the end were best.
Jordan
The majority of "diseases" in this book were brilliant. Of course with the authors that contributed and Vandermeer as one of the editors, I kind of expected that. Several of my favorite authors put in pieces including Mieville, Moore, and Gaiman. There's only the occasional entry that seems to bog down or try too hard. The majority of the entries are brilliant and even sections like the introduction and biographies are highly entertaining.
Allison
How can I describe this? All of these at the same time: Weird, creative, entertaining, random, disturbing, anchored in medical fact, totally fantastical, funny, tedious, gross, "ah yes, clever!", "what the heck are you even saying?", talented writers, self-serving writers...

Definitely something different. It would have benefitted greatly from more editing. The good parts were good, and the bad parts were bad.

Cindy
I got about halfway through and finally asked myself if I was enjoying this book. Sadly - not really, so back to the library it goes... It was just a little too creepy to read the short bits over breakfast - I had expected short stories, but these are encyclopedia entries.
Cindywho
Emily
Started off as fun, and exciting, but after a few chapters it became a little too tedious and pointless. It's a good book to pick and choose from, not necessarily a straight read through.
Elizabeth
I'll admit it, some of these were kind of boring. I feel like I could write this book better. This is, like, the one book in the world I am not allowed to hate on, and here I am, hatin'.
Andrew
Probably a better concept than it is a book this has plenty of intriguing and amusing ideas but is rather samey and too in thrall to Borges to be quite the work it aspires to be.
Rititi
Este é um bom exemplo de um livro que seria espectacularmente engraçado e agradável de ler se não tivesse tantas páginas, com mais do mesmo.
Gostei mas podia ser melhor!
  • The Thackery T. Lambshead Cabinet of Curiosities
  • Feeling Very Strange: The Slipstream Anthology
  • The Etched City
  • A Demanda do Visionário
  • The Bizarro Starter Kit  (blue)
  • O Dardo de Kushiel (Kushiel, #1)
  • Alien Contact
  • The Best of Lady Churchill's Rosebud Wristlet
  • The Year's Best Dark Fantasy & Horror, 2010 Edition
  • Hot and Steamy: Tales of Steampunk Romance
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Thirteenth Annual Collection
  • The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year (Volume 6)
Jeff VanderMeer's most recent fiction is the NYT-bestselling Southern Reach trilogy (Annihilation, Authority, and Acceptance), all released in 2014. The series has been acquired by publishers in 15 other countries and Paramount Pictures/Scott Rudin Productions have acquired the movie rights. His Wonderbook (Abrams Image), the world's first fully illustrated, full-color creative writing guide, won...more
More about Jeff VanderMeer...
Annihilation (Southern Reach Trilogy, #1) Authority (Southern Reach Trilogy, #2) City of Saints and Madmen (Ambergris, #1) Finch (Ambergris, #3) The Steampunk Bible