Start by marking “Homeward Bound (Tosev, #8)” as Want to Read:
Homeward Bound (Tosev, #8)

Homeward Bound (Tosev #8)

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,331 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
The twentieth century was awash in war. World powers were pouring men and machines onto the killing fields of Europe. Then, in one dramatic stroke, a divided planet was changed forever. An alien race attacked Earth, and for every nation, every human being, new battle lines were drawn.

Homeward Bound is the last book in this alternate history. Now the war has settled to an u
Published April 11th 2005 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Homeward Bound, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Homeward Bound

Kyle
Apr 01, 2008 Kyle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a partially satisfying conclusion to the series. I read them over the course of about a decade, so I was a little hazy on past details, but Turtledove does his usual good job of reminding the reader (again and again) of what has gone before.
In a way, this represents the best and worst of Turtledove. On the bad side, he's got the big cavalcade of characters his recent books seem to have become, each going through the same events (often using what feels like the same boilerplate descripti
Robert Lent
May 21, 2012 Robert Lent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

After I read the book, I didn't realize that it was the final book in the series. The loose ends weren't resolved. You could infer how things were going to go, but I had expected the last book to resolve them. I enjoyed the series, and did enjoy this book though. Some people say that we should use our own imagination when we read a book, and not expect to have things resolved. I disagree, I am paying to use the author's imagination, if I had wanted to use my own imagination, I would have written
Lisa
Apr 14, 2014 Lisa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very long and tedious. Too much detail in repetitive conversations. Very slow moving. No real plot. An interesting story line that could have been much better had their actually been some sort of climax in the story.
Steven Bragg
This book is about the dislocations that occur between species, and between people who are separated by time and/or space. The author does a good job of creating consistent characters, and his dialog flows smoothly. However, the story meanders to a considerable extent - in fact, it sometimes appears that the author does not care a great deal about pacing or moving the story forward at all, and instead prefers to embark on a lengthy piece of dialog that may diverge from the story.

In short, the bo
Kallierose
Oct 18, 2009 Kallierose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure why this isn't included in the "Colonization" series because it's really just a continuation of the story and the final piece in the series. Unlike other books in this series, this one focuses on a much smaller range of characters (primarily the Yeagers and a few members of the Race) and I did miss having closure for a lot of the characters we met during the first three books. But overall the ending was properly satisfying.
Corey Peters
Well, it was good to finally close this out. It's taken almost a year to read these 8 500+ page books, and while it was a good idea and the series had some great characters, but all in all, I was quite disappointed. Lame dialogue, excessive pointless exposition, contrived plot points...I honestly can't recommend it.
Ronald
Jan 19, 2016 Ronald rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This book needed to make up its mind and decide if it was the final story in the World War Invasion / colonization series or the start of a new set of books. While not a bad book it is a good 300 pages longer than needed. Unless you enjoy a limited set of characters arguing over and over and over and over and over again (and again and again and again) about a topic that as a reader of this book you should already know the point of view of the characters by page 200. If you enjoy this type of wri ...more
John
May 12, 2012 John rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1fiction, box6
The last of the series - but not the best one - I like turtledove, but sometimes even the best are not quite the best.
Tom Loock
Jan 25, 2016 Tom Loock rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
And the winner for most disappointing finale to an otherwise great series is ...Homeward Bound.

Boring, boring, boring.

How could Harry Turtledove have write four plus three exciting novels in the World War/Colonization-series and then dump this pile on top?

Pity one can't award zero stars.
Neil
Thoughts while reading:
It is amusing/funny/boring how often the author starts off a novel with some member of the Race [usually Atvar] pulling up pictures from when their probe explored the Earth [Tosev-3] way back when and took images from the time of the knights and the Crusades and whatnot. Enough, already! We get it! They were shocked when they got here'!

I know it's a pet peeve, but I do wish the artists who created the covers would have 'drawn' the Lizards 'correctly' for the artwork. The
Zedsdead
Oct 28, 2015 Zedsdead rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Series completists only.
Recommended to Zedsdead by: Next in series.
The final installment of Turtledove's epic Tosev octology.

I so loved this series. It kicks off with aliens invading Earth at the height of WW2. Expecting an easy conquest, they were stunned to find the locals spun up for war and unwilling to concede our obvious inferiority. The first seven books track through years of war, an awkward truce, and decades of tense diplomacy.

In Homeward Bound the USA is finally able to send its own warship to the aliens' home planet, with the goal of achieving a l
George
Jul 14, 2015 George rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was the most ironic book I've ever read. Turtledove spends most of the book restating things he's already said. He repeats over and over how the Lizards progress and change slowly, testing things thoroughly while the Humans change quickly, and sometimes recklessly (at least from the Lizard point of view). Yet the book dragged on and on, repeating and reiterating this fact, as well as all the other ways humans and lizards are different, over and over and over. The book could have been w ...more
Shane Kiely
I Bought this book without realising it was part 8 of a pre existing series, looked into getting the earlier parts of the series but they're seemingly out of print but after a sizeable spell on my to be read pile decided to just read it anyway. The writing is a bit tell don't show, so it's actually recaps a lot of what went before so it's not that difficult to work out what happened in the earlier instalments. In & of itself it's quite an interesting read. Essentially it's just a bunch of pe ...more
Daniel
Dec 05, 2012 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alt-history
I'm glad I finally read this, it provided closure that wasn't really in evidence after the first two series (Worldwar and Colonization).

I'm particularly glad it was a single book with a reasonably constrained cast, which is not at all the style of the first seven books in the overall series. Those books came with lists to help you keep track of the characters, and the lists were several pages per book. Despite covering interstellar diplomacy, this book was practically a bottle episode by compari
Aries
Aug 01, 2012 Aries rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantascienza
A volte è proprio vero che attendere tanto di vedere, fare, leggere qualcosa può portare a non gustarsela appieno: sarà l'aspettativa, sarà la curiosità, sarà quel che volete, ma effettivamente può capitare.
Per me è stato così con l'ultimo volume della seconda saga dell'Invasione scritta da Harry Turtledove.
Facciamo qualche premessa, però.
La saga dell'Invasione è iniziata diversi anni fa come ciclo di quattro volumi di circa 800 pagine l'uno incentrati su una vicenda ipotetica: cosa sarebbe succ
Neil Fein
Feb 13, 2010 Neil Fein rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Patience, n. A minor form of despair, disguised as a virtue.
Ambrose Bierce

The American temptation is to believe that foreign policy is a subdivision of psychiatry.
Henry Kissinger

The alien Lizards have conquered about half of Earth, while much of it -- particularly the countries with nuclear weapons -- have stayed independent from the aliens. Lizard colonists have settled on an Earth they expected to be subjugated, but the rate of technological progress among 20th century, World-War II-era hu
Matteo Pellegrini
Feb 03, 2014 Matteo Pellegrini rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantastico

Per gli alieni conosciuti come la "Razza", il conflitto ha avuto terribili conseguenze. Gli umani hanno sviluppato la tecnologia nucleare molti anni prima del previsto, costringendo gli invasori ad accettare una tregua precaria per potersi difendere dalle nazioni che hanno a disposizione le nuove armi di distruzione di massa. Gli americani, inoltre, hanno trovato il modo di viaggiare nello spazio e raggiungere il pianeta nativo della Razza stessa. Ora, nel XXI secolo, un manipolo di uomini e don

Michael Atkinson
Mar 21, 2015 Michael Atkinson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting conclusion to an interesting series. The one catch I had was that there's this Earth character who had gone into "cold sleep" so as to be reawakened when the humans get to the Lizard planet, but sadly he can't be revived, so one of the main characters has to be the Earth ambassador. They refer to the dead Earth character as "The Doctor". Now, I gather that he's really supposed to be reference to Henry Kissinger, but I can't help thinking of a certain other Doctor. It was a bit dis ...more
Andy Dale
Nov 02, 2015 Andy Dale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the conclusion of a series of books about what would happen if aliens invaded earth during WWII. The earth comes together to fight off the aliens and fights them to a stalemate. This book concerns a ship from America going to the aliens home world to visit them. After the Americans visit there is a new invention the Americans discover on earth that threatens the negotiations.
Toby
Feb 21, 2011 Toby rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the, so far, last in the series of Tosev alternate history/future books, and, unfortunately, I lost interest in the series about a quarter of the way through this final book.

It's more of the same: thoughtful passages on history, culture, and society. Lots of padding, and some truly bad SciFi writing: how many times do I have to read about people's experiences flying in shuttlecrafts? Ignoring such tedium, I also can't shake the feeling that there's far too much padding in this series. Th
Derek
Oct 19, 2010 Derek rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good story, but like the material before it seems to not have any climactic ending.

I liked the preceding series (Worldwar and Colonization) because they made you think about current human emotions and interactions within a historical context -- albeit radically different.

This story was not what I had envisioned since I finished the final Colonization book, but it was a good read. The idea that humanity progresses at a faster pace was not new but was interesting and presented well.

Nice to
Scott Gardner
Really boring ending to the saga
Tyler
Jul 08, 2013 Tyler rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad conclusion to the Tovevite series. It doesn't have the same feel the first 7 have but its not terrible. It has a much more focused story rather than a bunch of characters all around the Earth. This takes place almost entirely on Home where only a few characters tell the story. If you enjoyed the rest of the series you pretty much have to read this to get more information about the Race and even the Rabotevs and Hallesi.

Overall it wasn't to bad but you should read it for nothing else t
Steven
May 02, 2013 Steven rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series trended weaker and weaker from the first book and this one is no exception. There's no climax and no resolution at all, the author just decided there's enough pages and stopped writing. The number of characters is considerably lower, which helps with the repetition in previous books.

This whole (view spoiler) is a huge plothole, too. (view spoiler)
George
Good easy read.
Did not read any of the previous series books so came in the middle of many subplots.
Overall, it felt a little like real life (nothing settled), a little like a story (some good characters had good things happen), and a whole lot like science fiction (alien races, faster than light travel, non-faster than light travel).

Cheam Baker
Believable, well thought out. Very long.
A true looking glass for racism and cultural intolerance without being too prescriptive.
The language and pronunciation of "the race" got tiresome quickly, but perhaps that untiring awkwardness allowed the reader to truly experience the tension of cultural clash without relief. Did I mention it was very long? In length, and a fair amount of meta-thought in addition to the actual story. I did mention it was long. I remember now... You get the idea.
Scott Wright
The reader does a good job on the audio. I would think if you're invested in this world that Turttldove has created then you will enjoy this book. I didn't really care for the lizzards. I found the only time I was really interested in the story was when it looked like we were going to start a war with each other. I had to skip many tracks because thier conversation was just not very intersting and it did not advance the story enough to invest extra time in it.
Peter Pier
Oct 10, 2008 Peter Pier rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who read WorldWar and Colonization
Recommended to Peter by: looked it up myself
The so-called conclusioun to the series.... it has its moments. But whoever chose the picture for the cover is SO totally wrong. Thats not everything- one gets extremely bored. The biggest highlight is the radar-blip when the human FTL-ship shows up. Its an exercise in patience, not much more. I had to have it to fulfill the mission, so to speak, but Mr. Turtledove, you couldve done way more exciting. This is as exciting as cold coals.
Not sorry,
Peter
Julie
Feb 19, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finally finished this 8 book series! I kept reading other books along the way so it took me a long time to get through them, but I enjoyed each one. If Earth is ever invaded by Lizards I'll know what to expect, ha. They were worth all the time it took to finish. Harry Turtledove will make you think in a way that you never expected. Alternate history is good that way.
Jake Hahn
Jan 28, 2016 Jake Hahn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What an anticlimactic way to finish the 8th and final book in the series. If i hadn't read the first seven books I never would have finished this one. I'm a big fan of Harry Turrtledove but it's hard to believe so little could happen in 700 pages. My recommendation would be to read the first three books of the series and stop because it goes downhill from there.
What comes next? (spoilers) 2 15 Jan 24, 2013 09:08AM
  • Designated Targets (Axis of Time, #2)
  • 1635: The Eastern Front (Assiti Shards, #10)
  • The Two Georges
  • 1945
  • On the Oceans of Eternity (Nantucket, #3)
  • 1945
Dr Harry Norman Turtledove is an American novelist, who has produced a sizeable number of works in several genres including alternate history, historical fiction, fantasy and science fiction.

Harry Turtledove attended UCLA, where he received a Ph.D. in Byzantine history in 1977.

Turtledove has been dubbed "The Master of Alternate History". Within this genre he is known both for creating original sce
More about Harry Turtledove...

Tosev (8 books)
  • In the Balance (Worldwar, #1)
  • Tilting the Balance (Worldwar, #2)
  • Upsetting the Balance (Worldwar, #3)
  • Striking the Balance (Worldwar, #4)
  • Second Contact (Colonization, #1)
  • Down to Earth (Colonization, #2)
  • Aftershocks (Colonization, #3)