Start by marking “I is for Innocent (Kinsey Millhone Mystery)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
I is for Innocent

Sue Grafton

I is for Innocent (Kinsey Millhone #9)

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  19,920 Ratings  ·  417 Reviews
Readers will want more of Sue Grafton's spellbinding series once they've read M Is for Malice! Now repackaged!
Published January 1st 1998 by Fawcett Books (first published April 21st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about I is for Innocent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I is for Innocent

Una Tiers
Jun 05, 2015 Una Tiers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting plot with a lot of characters, sometimes hard to keep straight. Grafton brings in another old friend of Kinsey and continues the storyline with her landlord and his family.

In a 2015 re-read, I wonder, does Grafton stereotype managers in motels?
Tanisha Peck
Jan 22, 2013 Tanisha Peck rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I took a break from this series several years ago, but decided to pick it back up because a friend of mine read through the series in a matter of weeks. She really seemed to love it, so I thought I'd get back to the alphabet. **If you're looking for ONLY the summary of the book, please scroll down to the section below the break in the page**

While reading, I started to remember why I put this series down in the first place. The abundance of inconsequential detail.
First, Grafton describes Kinsey'
Beth (Ducky)
Originally seen on my book blog!

I started this book last month but then forgot it at home while I spent a few weeks at my boyfriend’s house. Once I got back home and started the book again, it was a little confusing because I’d read so many books in between that I forgot what the book was about. Luckily it was easy to jump back into and it turned out to be a really good book with an interesting story.

When someone dedicated a character to 26 books (one for each letter of the alphabet) there are g
Susan
Feb 07, 2012 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“I” is definitely another engrossing thriller from Grafton. Kinsey, in new office space, gets a job picking up where the partner of her mentor has left off due to his untimely death from a heart attack. The plot is a prequel to what later happened with the O.J. Simpson trials – criminal followed by civil – and for similar reasons, but Grafton’s book was published in 1992, long before the Simpson trials in 1995 and 1997. Interesting.

Kinsey makes $55 an hour in this book, an increase from the $30
Alondra
Aug 28, 2014 Alondra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
4 Stars

I really enjoyed this episode of the Kinsey chronicles!! Gee whiz; did everyone have something to hide?? I had inkling of the killer beforehand, but then so many potentials kept creeping in.

I love her interaction with Henry and his hypochondriac brother, William. Had about 3 out-loud, giggle moments. Kinsey was her usual feisty self; and really managed to have a method to her madness. I was just starting to wonder about that girl.

Well, on to the next one!
Dany
Jun 11, 2014 Dany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the ninth book in the series, but the first one I listen to as an audiobook. I was a bit hesitant at first, but in the end I really really loved it. Mary Pfeiffer was excellent, with a deep voice, sometimes a bit detached, just like I've always imagined Kinsey would sound like.
The story itself was interesting and entertaining, with lots of suspects, lots of possibilities and a new start for Kinsey in her new office with a new employer.

Four stars!
Em
Jan 03, 2015 Em rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chana
Feb 11, 2009 Chana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
A well-written mystery. I had read it some years ago and enjoyed it then. I was surprised to enjoy it so much the second time around. I had totally forgotten who the bad guy was although I remembered many details as the story unfolded. There are some very likeable characters in this series including Kinsey's neighbor Henry, his brother William and best of all, the Hungarian restaurant owner Rosie.
Sue
Jul 21, 2013 Sue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, usa
Kinsey stops by her new office one Sunday evening and the lawyer she's renting space from calls her in to hear a meeting with a client. The client's ex-wife was murdered six years before and the suspect in the case was acquitted. The former husband wants to try again on civil charges. The problem is that the investigator who was working on the case died from a heart attack and it has left everything hanging. Partly because Kinsey knew the investigator, she agrees to check into it and try to get ...more
Randee Baty
This is the most complex plot that the Alphabet Series has introduced yet. There are a lot of characters and keeping them straight made me stop and think sometimes. Again, I love seeing just how much dogged footwork and fact-checking is involved in the PI business. If you're a Grafton fan, you'll love this one. If you're not already a fan, this is a great example of her work!

Kinsey is renting an office from a local lawyer and he needs her help. He's in a wrongful death civil trial and his PI dr
NancyHelen
I think this was the first Kinsey Millhone book I ever read, almost 20 years ago, and I remember being gripped by it. And now, on the second time around, this is definitely one of the better ones of the series I have read so far. Kinsey gets involved in a murder case, where she is asked to check up on the details of a case which, although the accused has already been acquitted, is now being taken through the Civil Court for wrongful death. Morley Shine, another PI, has died leaving his investiga ...more
Lisa Anne
Nov 13, 2014 Lisa Anne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Listened to this on audiobook and the best thing I can say is that it kept me awake while driving to an agility trial and home. I didn't find the characters interesting and I couldn't have cared less about the story. I truly enjoy most of Grafton's work, but this one was less than inspiring, and it was the second crappy Grafton book in a row :-(
Connie N.
#9 of the Kinsey Millhone detective series

Ably read by Mary Peiffer who is terrible at male voices, but it doesn't bother me because she's now the familiar voice of Kinsey. This is another enjoyable installment where Kinsey has just moved to Lonnie Kingman's offices since she left California Fidelity's building. Lonnie asks her to help him with a case because his original investigator (Morley Shine) has died of a heart attack. When Kinsey looks through Morley's files, though, she finds them very
Lisa
Sep 22, 2009 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was much better than the last one (hated H), but I should probably take a break from Grafton after J, which I've already started. I'm just so very tired of seeing the word "stucco." Is every building a one-story stucco structure? Really? Her description gets a bit out of control at times. I appreciate that she wants to make Kinsey's world clear and that Kinsey is such an observant character, but I don't know how much I care about the details of every single thing she sees. I still love ...more
Juanita
Review: I is For Innocent by Sue Grafton.

The author creates so many interesting characters to give her story a twisting effect of mystery that it 19s hard to put it down. What is great about Sue Grafton is the way she shakes everything up just a bit in each book so that the reader never feels like their reading the same thing. Her books are fast paced and intriguing enough that you can read them in one setting.

She sets this story off with private investigator Kinsey Millhone on the rebound from
P.D.R. Lindsay
How Sue Grafton manages always to write with a freshness so that we become part of Kinsey's life again in each novel I do not know. But she does and even the last books are still a fun read. I for Innocent has a very clever plot, lots of red herrings and characters who might have done it. A satisfactory read for a whodunit fan. I really enjoyed it and it's an easy uncomplicated read for a wet afternoon.

In I for Innocent Ms Millhone is asked by her lawyer friend to step into a case as the investi
Lois
Jul 16, 2015 Lois rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In my quest to reread the entire alphabet series by Sue Grafton, I was surprised to discover I may have skipped this one. Nothing seemed familiar. As I got near the end of the book, one event did stand out. I concluded that I may have listened to this one on tape (that dates the 1992 copyright when libraries offered books on cassette!)

At any rate I enjoyed this one too. Kinsey Millhone is a likeable main character, and her continued interaction with her 80ish landlord Henry Pitts is entertaining
Duncan Mandel
SUMMARY: When David Barney was acquitted in the shooting death of his wife, Isabelle, a good many thought that justice had not been served -- including Kenneth Voight, Isabelle's former husband. Now, five years later, Voight is the plaintiff in a civil suit in which Barney stands accused of Isabelle's wrongful death. The stakes are high -- Isabelle's estate is worth millions -- but time is running short: the statute of limitations will cut Voight off in only a matter of weeks. Enter sexy, savvy ...more
Beth
Feb 03, 2009 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I never did figure it out until Kinsey revealed the killer.

I like the way that the author refers to the prior book(s) but doesn't really give anything away to ruin the earlier story. It's nice to know a tiny bit about what happened later to a character in an earlier story--I'm speaking specifically of Kinsey's one-time love interest, Dietz.

These I'm reading in order, so J is for Judgment will be next, but not for a few months.

Linda
May 07, 2014 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although I have enjoyed all of Grafton's alphabet series so far, this is one of the better ones. Kinsey seems more vulnerable and shows a softer side rather than the usual scratchy exterior she usually shows. And I must say that I did not guess at who the murderer was!

A woman was murdered when she was shot through the peep hole in her front door. Her ex-husband was tried for the murder but was acquitted. Now it's 6 years later and an earlier ex-husband is bringing charges in a civil suit against
Anne
Apr 10, 2014 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Kinsey Millhone!!! Great gal!!!
Polly
Jan 08, 2009 Polly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another typical Kinsey Millhone mystery but I had stopped reading the series for a while and it was refreshing to go back and read another. It seems if I read 2 or 3 of them in a row they get very predictable. Since that is the case, I think I'll wait a while before I pick up the next one.
LadyCroft86
Another Kinsey Millhone mystery. Kinsey gets hired to investigate a six year old murder and see if they can nail the guy in civil court since he got away with it in criminal court. Kinsey finds clues and leads that suggests that maybe the guy who "got away with murder" in the criminal case six years ago might not actually be guilty. In trying to solve one case, Kinsey also stumbles on another and happens to solve that one too.
This book was not as good as some of the others, but still a quick an
Tom Park
Wondering what Reader's Digest would do with a Grafton work. She does like her long descriptions of where she is at the moment. The story line itself was pretty good. Didn't really know or at least I didn't have a clue until the final denouement.
Terah
Apr 22, 2010 Terah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This one felt like a rollercoaster ride in a classic mystery style. Still learning more and more about Kinsey. Little hidaways at the age of 5 and peanutbutter and pickle sandwiches. I absolutely adore this series.
Nancy Ellis
Apr 12, 2014 Nancy Ellis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I ever have the misfortune of going blind, I would want Sue Grafton to come live with me! She has such a wonderful way of describing things, you have no problem imagining what they are like, and you can practically smell the flowers, ocean, etc., and hear the sounds as she mentions them. Along with that, the story is interesting and entertaining. Kinsey Millhone is actually pretty well-behaved in this book and demonstrates some empathy and sympathy for some of the characters....the ones who d ...more
Verna Humphrey
Nov 14, 2012 Verna Humphrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
sue Grafton,is a very good author,if anyone is looking for a good read
Erin Martin
Mar 24, 2015 Erin Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite Graftons so far!
O
Mar 02, 2015 O rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I really love my Kinsey Milhone mystery novels. A really good thing is that Sue Grafton has evolved the series and I know that there is a split between fans on the way that the series has gone but I really do love re-reading the older novels. It's like being wrapped up in a warm bug.

I is for Innocent follows the events of H is for Homicide, with Kinsey finding herself fired from her previous job working with an isurance company. Struggling to make ends meet, Kinsey takes a case from her attorney
Goodreads Librari...: (SOLVED) No Page count for ISBN: 9781447212300 4 16 Sep 01, 2015 03:40PM
The Women's Myste...: I is for Innocent 1 4 Aug 09, 2013 09:25PM
  • Where Echoes Live
  • Guardian Angel (V.I. Warshawski, #7)
Connect with Sue herself on Facebook! www.facebook.com/suegrafton

Received the Shamus Award, "The Eye" (Lifetime achievement award) in 2003.

Family History:

Father: C.W. Grafton, born 1909, third son of Presbyterian Missionaries, born and raised in China, educated Presbyterian College, Clinton, South Carolina; practicing attorney in Louisville, Kentucky with a 40-year specialty in municipal bonds. Au
More about Sue Grafton...

Kinsey Millhone (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • A is for Alibi (Kinsey Millhone, #1)
  • B is for Burglar  (Kinsey Millhone, #2)
  • C is for Corpse  (Kinsey Millhone, #3)
  • D is for Deadbeat (Kinsey Millhone, #4)
  • E is for Evidence (Kinsey Millhone, #5)
  • F is for Fugitive (Kinsey Millhone, #6)
  • G is for Gumshoe  (Kinsey Millhone, #7)
  • H is for Homicide (Kinsey Millhone, #8)
  • J is for Judgment (Kinsey Millhone, #10)
  • K is for Killer (Kinsey Millhone, #11)

“Beware the dark pool at the bottom of our hearts. In its icy, black depths dwell strange and twisted creatures it is best not to disturb.” 108 likes
“The only colors I could see were the vibrant primary hues of the pinball machine, where a cartoon spacewoman with big conical breasts straddled the earth in a formfitting blue space suit and thigh-high yellow boots. Behind her, a big red dildo-shaped spaceship was just blasting off for the moon.” 0 likes