Diaboliad

Diaboliad

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  411 ratings  ·  21 reviews
В «Дьяволиаде» раскрывается проблема «маленького человека», ставшего жертвой советской бюрократической машины, которая в больном воображении главного героя, делопроизводителя Короткова, ассоциируется с дьявольской силой. Уволенный служащий, не сумев справиться с этой силой и проиграв в столкновении с ней, сходит с ума и в отчаянии бросается с крыши многоэтажного здания, сп...more
Published July 1st 1997 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1925)

Ana
This I picked when at a friend's home, out of the sheer need to read something, because I had forgotten mine at home. I finished the book the same evening, as well as The Fatal Egg , a story by the same author.

This was humorous, especially because trying to imagine all the mess made me laugh at times. It's very short but also very energetic, at all times something is happening and if you miss on it, you don't understand a thing!

I get the feeling I'll be reading some more from Bulgakov, becaus...more
Glenn Russell
Considering there are dozens and dozens of reviews of The Master and Margarita and my review of this collection of Bulgakov tales published some twenty years ago is one of the first on Goodreads, it is fair to say many readers have committed an oversight. Which is unfortunate since these short works are masterpieces in their own right. If you love The Master and Margarita you will also love reading this book. There are eleven tales here, two of which - Diaboliad and The Fatal Eggs - are long eno...more
Tony
It'd be nigh on impossible to fault Bulgakov. One of those Russian writers whose name should be held in the same reverence as those other masters Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky.

He's as capable with these surreal, satirical shorts as he is with sagas (The White Guard) and masterpiece epics (The Master and Margarita). He can evoke the chaos and confusion of his times while still managing to net let it impose too greatly on a great story. His characters are all memorable and vital and there's an ease to...more
Monika
„Bite Dyrkina, bite ho. Alebo si šanujete ruku? Tak svietnikom.“

Ak vám bolo divej surrealistickej naháňačky za diablom Wolandom a jeho suitou málo, tak si uchlipnite halucinogénnej Diaboliády; ešte podivnejšie stavy mysle zaručené.

„Za Korotkovom rýchlo a veselo pukali výstreli ako vianočné petardy... Sklená tabuľa s nápisom Reštaurácia a pivo, ktorá visela na rohu, sa rozpukla do hviezdy a starší fiakrista s unavenou tvárou si presadol z kozlíka na zem so slovami:
„No zbohom! To musíte, chlapci,
James
In this collection of short stories by Mikhail Bulgakov, the full range of the author's talents are displayed, from satire to science-fiction. The five stories range in length and subject but all relate to Bulgakov's experiences during the often Kafkaesque Stalinist period in the 1920s and 30s.

The first, "Diaboliad" is a scathing satire of Soviet bureaucracy and the nightmarish conditions in Moscow at the time. The Byzantine scale of Soviet officialdom is linked to the demonic - a frequent theme...more
Rannazora
I wonder if anyone of other than Slavic origin can enjoy Bulgakov's novels so much. The language and style is just amazingly witty and colourful. I read this book in Slovak and it contained also biography of the author, which was for me as interesting as the book itself. It is admirable that a man struggling so much through his whole life created so light toned and witty novellas. I also found Bulgakov's own comments about his work (The Fatal Eggs) very fitting, containing honest self-criticism....more
pax
For Diaboliad itself: I'm sorry, but Kafka did it better.
Siim
Ka nii lühikeses jutustuses, nagu seda on Diaboliaad, jõuab Bulgakov pöörata õhustiku aina sügavamale negatiivi. Purustades sammhaaval reaalsuse, viib Bulgakov lõpuks tegevuse absoluutselt deemonliku kulminatsioonini, mis oma maksimumini arendatud kuradi-temaatikaga mõjub oma sürreaalsuses vägagi hirmutavalt. Reaalsustaju kadu, mis meid alguses paneb naerma, siis nutma ja lõpuks piiluma voodi alla, jätab kaant sulgedes nii mõnegi laubale külma higipisara.
Ivicudus
Diaboliada je kratky humorny kafkovsky pribeh jednotlivca proti byrokratickej masine. Osudne vajcia je sikovne scifi o mizantropickom profesorovi a co sa stane, ked propagacia a masy zacnu pouzivat vedecke objavy pred ich poriadnym preskumanin mirnix dirnix "v prospech spolocnosti". Bulgakov velmi dobre vykresluje profesora, ktory nechce slavu, peniaze ani obdiv, chce len aby ho ludia nechali na pokoji robit pokusy so svojim lucom a zabami.
Wendy
Five stories by my favorite Russian author. Probably not the best introduction to Bulgakov, and probably much easier to understand if you've read the Gogol or Dostoyevsky that he's responding to (I hadn't), but still enjoyable all the same. "Fatal Eggs" is the stand-out; "Diaboliad" is indeed nightmarish, not unlike a frenetic "Man Who Was Thursday."
Carlos
I just read the one short story. Because I really liked Master and Margarita. I think you have to be a Russian and also from the 1920s to fully appreciate it. There are funny interactions between people occasionally, though.
Roberto Palomba
Fantastic allegory of the bureaucratic machine, in the Russia of the 30's, cert, but timeless. Very short read, and very dynamic. One feels carried around in the vortex with the poor character.
Mario Liesens
A short story on Russian bureaucracy, mixing Kafka with early 20st century horror/sci fi elements. Terry Gilliam could make an excellent movie out of this.
Yves Panis
Petite nouvelle fantastique du grand Boulgakov. Ambiance Brazil. Dans l'enfer de la bureaucratie soviétique....
Ivano Porpora
Un libro davvero molto interessante, pieno di moto, d'azione, di deflussi, di spostamenti.
Łukasz
To tell the truth it was confusing and i didn't understand much, but it was a really nice read.
Svetlana Zakharova
классика, конечно.
помню восторг, но надо бы перечитать.
Svea
Honestly, I have no idea what I just read.
Jaan Erik
Nii segane, et jabur.
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Elena
Elena marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Andrea Edwinsdottir
Andrea Edwinsdottir marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Shawn
Shawn marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
  • Demon
  • Горе от ума
  • The Gambler/Bobok/A Nasty Story
  • Red Cavalry
Mikhaíl Afanasyevich Bulgakov (Russian: Михаил Булгаков) was the first of six children in the family of a theology professor. His family belonged to the intellectual elite of Kiev. Bulgakov and his brothers took part in the demonstration commemorating the death of Leo Tolstoy. Bulgakov later graduated with honors from the Medical School of Kiev University in 1915. He married his classmate Tatiana...more
More about Mikhail Bulgakov...
The Master and Margarita Heart of a Dog The White Guard A Country Doctor's Notebook The Fatal Eggs

“Целуй же меня, целуй скорее, пока нет никого из контрольной комиссии.” 1 likes