Start by marking “Hold Everything Dear” as Want to Read:
Hold Everything Dear

Hold Everything Dear

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  433 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
This title is John Berger's response to today's global economic and military tyranny. From Hurricane Katrina, 9/11 and 7/7, to resistance in Ramallah and dislocation in the Middle East, he explores the personal choices, encounters, sacrifices, griefs and memories that occur in the course of political resistance to empire and colonialism.
Published December 16th 2011 by Verso (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Hold Everything Dear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hold Everything Dear

Katie
Aug 19, 2008 Katie added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Chris and Jim
I think, though I'm probably wrong, this is a mediation on freedom. It's the more lucid and realistic novel I've read of Berger's (though I've only read one other , which is probably my favorite book ever). His landscape isn't much sullied, or gloified, by the unconcious. This is how the realist poet should write; it attempts to understand the sadness and sometimes desperate empathy people usually keep hidden without talking about it directly. Isn't that the job of a minimalist, mostly because i ...more
Ferda Nihat Koksoy
Feb 10, 2016 Ferda Nihat Koksoy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
KIYMETİNİ BİL HERŞEYİN
-Dünyada küresel bir “İKTİSADİ-ASKERİ TİRANLIK” düzeneği işlemektedir.

-Berlin Duvarı’nın yıkılması sonrasında, yoksullarla aralarına beton duvarlar, etnik/dinsel duvarlar ve polis duvarları ören ZENGİNLERİN PERVASIZLIĞI, dünyada kol gezmektedir.

-TERÖR, yoksulların savaşı, SAVAŞ ise zenginlerin terörüdür.

-İNTİHAR EYLEMCİLİĞİ, umutsuzluğun ve anlamsızlığın reddidir.

-ADALETE özlem olmadıkça MUTLULUK kurulamaz.

-Çok Uluslu Şirketler (ÇUŞ), KAR engellerine karşı CİHAT ilan ederle
Travis
Dec 20, 2008 Travis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"There are seven levels of despair -- one for each day of the week -- which lead, for some of the more courageous, to the revelation that to offer one's life in contesting the forces which have pushed the world to where it is, is the only way of invoking an all, which is larger than that of the despair."
Richard
Feb 17, 2009 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Essays. A radical view of the world post 9/11. Extremely intelligent and thought provoking. A very good look at life on the ground in Palestine - disturbing to say the least, with a lot more detail than any of us get from the newspapers. Should piss a lot of people off.
Rachel
Jan 10, 2009 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this collection of essays written post-9/11, Berger again manages to lucidly describe the world and relationships around us. Easy to pick up after being put down for a while, Berger's prose continued to give me pause.
Magdelanye
Despite his disappointing simplistic analysis of the conflict in the middle east,I did enjoy most of the essays here and can recognize Bergers stamp of fluid genius with appreciation.
Alex Fallis
Nov 04, 2012 Alex Fallis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful, thoughtful, heartbreaking essays. Berger always gets me thinking in new ways.
Robert Isenberg
What an odd little volume -- essays, prose-poems, modest reportage, you name it, all signifying the end of freedom and justice. For years, I have treasured my edition of "Ways of Seeing," which was such an essential introduction to art and its social context. Berger reminds me of Chatwin, the way he combines an appreciation for art with anthropological curiosity and gutsy travel to dangerous lands. But "Hold Everything Dear" is particularly scattered; he leapfrogs from topic to topic, place to p ...more
Bob Connors
Berger's introspection, as I have come to expect, is spot on. His writing is sure of itself; comfortable enough, and I think this is key, to avoid hysterical realism and leave the text room to breathe.

I take issue with this wonderful little book only insofar as his politics are, at times, not quite so sophisticated: "Many fear that before long, US military forces will be launching the 'preventive' war against Iraq so that the US oil corporations can lay their hands on further and supposedly safe
Polly Jirkovsky
A poet translates the newspaper, taking the imediate explosions and sifting through them to find terrible urgent beauty. The book begins with an invocation to the dead, and they remain present throught the journey to fear, despair and desire. After examining the terrible kinds of survival that is to left to people who have lost everything and still live, Berger brings us to desire and its ability to create another world, a chance for something to work right, to give a reprieve from pain, even if ...more
Jarrah
Like the best Berger, Hold Everything Dear is not something you can sit down and read in one sitting. Almost every essay in the book demands that the reader mull it over.

Now it's finished there are three pieces still really sticking with me. The first is "I Would Softly Tell My Love," Berger's expansive, introspective discussion about death, mourning, imprisonment, space, poetry, socialism and love, written after the death of two fellow artists - sculptor Juan Munoz and poet Nazim Hikmet. The s
Patrick
Jan 11, 2015 Patrick rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
For some reason, I have two copies of it on my bookshelves and I can only guess that someone must have thought I'd appreciate it...Maybe I'm getting more right-wing as I'm getting older. Or maybe it's just a lowered tolerance for pretentious bullshit and the left's version of hell-in-a-handcartism, but I didn't get on with this book at all.

Mainly a selection of political essays with a bit of art criticism thrown in, I found it hard to identify a running theme. And I couldn't quite decide whether
Catherine
Oct 24, 2011 Catherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-own-picks
Berger is phenomenal. In reading Linda Green's recent (2011) article "The Nobodies," where she quotes Berger, I was reminded of his clarity and compassion. One passage reads: "Month by month, millions leave their homelands. They leave because there is nothing there, except their *everything,* which does not offer enough to feed their children. Once it did. This is the poverty of the new capitalism." (p. 120) Hold everything dear.
Kait
Dec 03, 2011 Kait rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elliptical thought poems on the nature of surviving and coping. I find this volume more rewarding to reference and skim than to read as a whole.
Poupeh
Sep 29, 2012 Poupeh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Berger provides a much-needed view of issues of survival and resistance. If only the world had people like him in positions of power...
Rick
Apr 06, 2009 Rick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Humans live in two time-scales at once -- the biological timescale of their bodies and the timescale of their consciousness.

Gorgeous.
Mar 23, 2016 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found the experience of reading this small gem of a book completely unexpected and touching. A collection of essays about fear and resistance. A treat for the head and the heart with beautiful language throughout. I certainly didn't leave this one feeling more hopeful, but maybe a bit more connected.
Editorial Alfaguara
Visceral y apasionada, esta obra ana la ms lcida perspectiva literaria con el ms reflexivo activismo poltico y social y sugiere el pensamiento y la accin que podran ayudar a acabar con la injusticia y el sufrimiento en el mundo. John Berger analiza la esencia del terrorismo y el drama del desarraigo de millones de personas que se han visto obligados por la pobreza y la guerra a vivir en calidad de refugiados. Su mirada implacable ilumina la situacin de Afganistn, Irak, Palestina, Serbia, Bosnia, ...more
Alison Frye
Mar 20, 2014 Alison Frye rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Forget Dave Eggers: THIS book should be called a "heartbreaking work of staggering genius." It's heavy, difficult, and beautiful. It tackles issues we often avoid or simply don't think about -- poverty, conflict, war. But it does it with such insight and anger that you can't help but be moved.
Duncan Hendry
I still believe that John Berger is a fantastic writer and his world view is unique and inspiring. Though this selection of short pieces, written early to mid-2000s, is slightly all over the place. There are some fantastically impassioned and lively moments like his critique on the Bush et al's response to Hurricane Katrina. But other pieces here still have heart but plod along and are seemingly unfinished (if the nature of the issue hasn't finished, it often feels too open ended). It is obvious ...more
Tom Hughes
Jun 13, 2016 Tom Hughes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bests
Berger mixing poetry and politics and everything important. Like Berger does. Mandatory reading.
Milton Brasher-Cunningham
I wish this were required reading for everyone who seeks to make sense of life in these times.
Nazlı Karabiyikoğlu
Made me watch "La Rabbia" from Pasolini.
Michael
Mar 23, 2008 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i derived immense pleasure from reading this thin volume. it's a mediation on suffering, hope, despair, the beauty of the eye, the dead and the living. i think susan sontag says it best, "not since d. h. lawrence has there been a writer who offers such attentiveness to the sensual world with responsiveness to the imperatives of consciousness." these post 9/11 vignettes generate thought and wonder and feeling.
Bethany Taylor
May 03, 2008 Bethany Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cynical optimists
Recommended to Bethany by: Nathaniel Blauss
I read this immediately after watching the beloved POTUS stumble through his final SOTU, and it gave be a slim reassurance that the world may not be totally without hope, and that the little moments actually add up to something.
Preface poem was breath taking.
And this "averaging of book ratings" is way off (and silly)if this little gem only gets a 3.79...was everyone else reading the same book?
Paola
Dec 14, 2010 Paola rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: saggistica
Lo ammetto non conoscevo John Berger, il librino l'ho visto qui su anobii e il titolo mi ha intrigato.
Abbi cara ogni cosa, si, dalle piccole alle grandi cose. Dalle vicine alle lontane, a quelle dentro e fuori di noi.
Abbi cara ogni cosa, e aggiungo io il corollario, se puoi, se vuoi, prenditene anche cura ce n'é un gran bisogno...
Autore di cui sicuramente leggerò altro.
Tommy
Jul 01, 2011 Tommy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great short read dealing with the issues of daily life for Palestians, what breeds terrorism, class warfare, and the current political power structure. This is more a collection of short essays and thoughts from Berger that has the feel of reading through a writers notebook of personal thoughts than an actual published work.

I will definitely read more by Berger and hope others do too.
eeegooo
Nov 23, 2012 eeegooo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mai così attuale, leggo questo libro che parla di Israele e Palestina, economia malata e guerre ovviamente assurde se non per chi ha interesse. pubblicato nel 2007 mi chiedo cosa sia veramente cambiato. Il tutto sulle spalle di giganti come Pasolini e Hikmet.
Oğuz Dinç
Apr 19, 2015 Oğuz Dinç rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A John Berger classic. Wonderful.
John
Jan 12, 2015 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
He remains one of my favorite writers. This is a series of articles essays memoirs and letters. I will return to this book again.
  • After the Future
  • Fractions: The First Half of The Fall Revolution
  • Walking Israel: A Personal Search for the Soul of a Nation
  • Signals of Distress: A Novel
  • Between Equal Rights: A Marxist Theory of International Law
John Peter Berger is an English art critic, novelist, painter and author. His novel G. won the 1972 Booker Prize, and his essay on art criticism Ways of Seeing, written as an accompaniment to a BBC series, is often used as a college text.

Later he was self exiled to continental Europe, living between the french Alps in summer and the suburbs of Paris in winter. Since then, his production has increa
More about John Berger...

“Hold Everything Dear” 9 likes
“The living reduce the dead to those who have lived; yet the dead already include the living in their own great collective.” 0 likes