Start by marking “The First-Time Manager” as Want to Read:
The First-Time Manager

The First-Time Manager

3.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  470 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
"A true management classic with 200,000 copies sold, this new, expanded edition is still the ultimate guide for every new manager.

Since its original publication, The First-Time Manager has helped many thousands of rookie managers handle their new responsibilities -- and now it can help you! Clear and concise, the book covers all the fundamentals you need for success, with
Published March 18th 2005 by AMACOM/American Management Association (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The First-Time Manager, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The First-Time Manager

Bob Selden
Aug 04, 2008 Bob Selden rated it really liked it
First published in 1981 and written by Loren B. Belker, the current (5th) edition has been updated by Gary S. Topchik in 2005

I very much like the style in which the book is written – easy and conversational. I also like the complete absence of “management speak” which is such a rarity in many modern management books. The book is also written in a very positive tone – looking to help the manager to motivate, develop and get the best out of people rather than controlling them.

However, this book
Mik Chernomordikov
May 06, 2012 Mik Chernomordikov rated it it was amazing
Отличная книга с детальным руководством, что важно делать и не делать, когда ты становишься people manager, то есть управляешь людьми.
От момента анонса новой должности до выстраивания отношения с коллегами, помощи роста сотрудникам и создания командного духа.
Книга сделана в формате советов-инструкций, так что вряд ли будет интересна уже опытным менеджерам
Remy Attig
Oct 15, 2015 Remy Attig rated it it was amazing
Shelves: prof-development
I'm beginning a new position at a new employer and will be faced with new challenges. This book is a very accessible text that helped me to reconsider truths that I already knew while providing new insight into aspects of management that I know less about. It is not a book that teaches about specific aspects of management in a detailed way, but rather it speaks in general terms about a variety of topics. As someone working in the non-profit sector, it's not a book that is so focused on for-profi ...more
David Glad
Feb 21, 2014 David Glad rated it it was amazing
Shelves: management
Nice intro on the dos and don'ts of being a manager. (Notably personal advice, even daycare, to employees if the company were to be later sued on due to some problem, courts say that managers are unqualified to give such advice and therefore the company can be held liable.)

Guess it really hinted on my responses from employers that people "over-qualified" on a position supposedly do not take long at all to begin searching out the next job. (Book is right. Yet I obviously wish to be as excellent a
Dan'l Danehy-oakes
Jan 31, 2016 Dan'l Danehy-oakes rated it liked it
Not an entertaining read, and not full of new insights I didn't already know, it does put a lot of useful information in one place.

Biggest problem: It's *terribly* written, full of malapropisms, agrammatical sentences, and cliches that the authors were so embarrassed by that they put the in quotes as if to say, "I know better than this."

It may be helpful, should I get the chance to manage people, but I won't read it again unless.
Lei
Dec 02, 2015 Lei rated it really liked it
This book comes to me as a surprise. I really like its format: concise and to the point, thus making it a light read.
The philosophy and concepts in this book resonates with me well. I find this more like a "references" book to reminds me, and leads me to retrospect my own behaviors. It's a book that worth re-read.
It does lack concrete examples. Making it may not suitable, or may not bring deep thinking for some.
Duy Nguyen
Jul 31, 2014 Duy Nguyen rated it it was amazing
The first time I was promoted as a QA Lead on a software testing company, I was looking for a guideline as a manager, my boss gifted me this book. Wow, this book gave me some great insights and reminders. Not only does it cover any topic a manager would need to know, it is very user friendly. The language in the book is straight forward and it gets to the point.
Daniel Eneström
Mar 07, 2016 Daniel Eneström rated it really liked it
Easy-to-read and helpful book to avoid the most obvious pitfalls as a new manager. It is sometimes too focused on the USA though. For instance is a lot of the energy focused on how to fire or assess an employee without being sued. Something that doesn't happen in my country. Apart from that though, a very helpful book.
German Diaz
Dave
Mar 28, 2014 Dave rated it liked it
This was a book that lived up to its title. It is definitely for the new manager. It focused on many elementary concepts, but would be a good review for any manager new or old.
Emilee Romano
Dec 09, 2014 Emilee Romano rated it it was ok
The part about using the rumor mill invalidated otherwise good information.
Alfred Moore
Mar 11, 2016 Alfred Moore rated it it was amazing
Very insightful and informative. If anyone is blessed with the opportunity to lead, coach, and inspire others, this is a must read. The authors provide an easy to follow blue print for the wide eyed new manager. Although it covers a myriad of managerial topics, I was left with one final thought....How to build a dynamic team while keeping the stressors of work manageable. Outstanding book.
DANIEL GHANIME
Great insight for first timers and a refresh for old timers
Behzad Golforoush
Feb 02, 2014 Behzad Golforoush rated it really liked it
I strongly suggest this book to people who became manager or supervisor at the first time.
Richard
Aug 20, 2014 Richard rated it really liked it
Great book. Has some good points.
Roger Royse
Aug 24, 2014 Roger Royse rated it it was ok
just OK.
Anne
Jul 20, 2012 Anne rated it really liked it
This is an excellent A-Z primer for what it takes to manage people, whether a staff of 5 or 50. It does a great job of explaining the roles and responsibilities of managing, while offering practical tips that could benefit new and experienced managers alike. While I've learned most of this through the School of Hard Knocks,it's still an excellent refresher to someone a little older. Plus the author has some specific advice on hiring, firing, and mentoring that could help you avert some big pitfa ...more
Jigar Mehta
Sep 20, 2015 Jigar Mehta rated it it was amazing
awesome guide for new managers
Aleister Morbius
Mar 31, 2014 Aleister Morbius rated it really liked it
Amazing first approach to all those new managers wanting some advice and trying to avoid getting fired in the process of looking advice. Your team is everything, that is exactly what makes you a good or bad manager, respect them in every way, and most importante KEEP THEM MOTIVATED.
Katie
Jul 24, 2009 Katie marked it as to-read
So far it is written at a simple level, but it contains good advice. It has basically the same material as the Missionary Training Guide - listen, show appreciation, don't pull rank until you really have to, don't expect perfection, you are judged by those in your stewardship, but not by those in stewardship over you. Still, good to know.
Bryan
Aug 18, 2009 Bryan rated it liked it
The First-Time Manager is a great book for basic management and business professionalism tips. Most leadership or management books are filled with generalities and fluff. This book has many clear cut examples of how to handle situations in the office. The book ends with a great section on class.
Ben Ng
Jan 02, 2016 Ben Ng rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A helpful, concise book

I liked how many of the topics discussed came up during my first month managing people. The advice was pragmatic and helped me decide how to handle difficult situations. I can tell that I'll be revisiting this book quite a bit in the coming years.
Chris Ross
Jun 04, 2012 Chris Ross rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business-books
I listened to the audio book I wish I had read this book before I managed people years ago. I wish all managers were required to read this book. I think it is well written and has lots of relevant, common sense, advice for the new manager.
Richard Stephenson
Dec 23, 2010 Richard Stephenson rated it liked it
Good general tips and ideals... focus on the people, maintaining calm, and being the servant the position calls for... Good information on the types of managers, employees, ecology of decisions, legalities, HR resources, et cetera.
Levent Bayindir
Jul 27, 2009 Levent Bayindir rated it it was amazing
Shelves: management
This is my first "being a manager" book. It is really interesting to see how the authors managed to extract the important dynamics of a manager's life. As far as i see, this is a nice introduction and overview on the topic.
Kathleen
Dec 26, 2008 Kathleen rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
So far so good. There are many management books out there, but this one is laid out well and gives pertinent reminders and up-to-date suggestions on how to manage yourself in work and in life in general.
John Beitelspacher
Not a very useful read

About 20 percent of the way through I had to stop reading due to a lack of any useful information. Most everything felt anecdotal rather than researched.
Mare S
Aug 26, 2013 Mare S rated it liked it
A lot of the information in this book seems like common sense, but I guess that is easy to misplace. I did appreciate the part on restraint and taking time to formulate a response.
Shannon
Mar 31, 2012 Shannon rated it did not like it
This was terrible. I read it to see if it was good as a reference for new managers, and I found it didn't get at the core of good management in any aspect. Very superficial.
BLACK CAT
Mar 12, 2013 BLACK CAT rated it really liked it
Basic general knowledge about management.
Good tips about people skills and business etiquette advice.
Recommended for first time employees and managers.
  • You're in Charge, Now What?: The 8 Point Plan
  • Managing in the Next Society
  • Harvard Business Review on Managing Yourself
  • 100 Ways to Motivate Others: How Great Leaders Can Produce Insane Results Without Driving People Crazy
  • The Truth About Managing People...And Nothing But the Truth
  • Nine Minutes on Monday: The Quick and Easy Way to Go from Manager to Leader
  • The Art of Profitability
  • Essential Manager's Manual (Financial Times (DK))
  • Putting the One Minute Manager to Work: How to Turn the 3 Secrets into Skills
  • Success Built to Last: Creating a Life that Matters
  • Boards That Make a Difference: A New Design for Leadership in Nonprofit and Public Organizations
  • The Visible Ops Handbook: Starting ITIL in 4 Practical Steps
  • Brazen Careerist: The New Rules for Success
  • 13 fatal errors managers make and how you can avoid them
  • 29 Leadership Secrets from Jack Welch
  • The Circle of Innovation: You Can't Shrink Your Way to Greatness
  • Manager's Toolkit: The 13 Skills Managers Need to Succeed
  • Behind Closed Doors: Secrets of Great Management
LOREN B. BELKER(deceased) was an executive in a major midwestern insurance company for nearly 30 years, and the author of The First-Time Manager.
More about Loren B. Belker...

“If appreciation is important to you in your relationship with your manager, realize that it is equally important to the people you manage.” 0 likes
“People working for the autocrat believe they are working for someone. Those reporting to the diplomat believe they are working zoit/i someone.” 0 likes