Start by marking “Never Give In!: The Best of Winston Churchill's Speeches” as Want to Read:
Never Give In!: The Best of Winston Churchill's Speeches

Never Give In!: The Best of Winston Churchill's Speeches

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  306 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Winston Churchill was the most eloquent and expressive statesman of his time. It was as an orator that Churchill became most completely alive, and it was through his oratory that his words made their greatest and most enduring impact. While the definitive collection of Churchill's speeches fills eight volumes, here for the first time, his grandson, Winston S. Churchill, ha ...more
Published November 10th 2004 by Hachette Books (first published January 1st 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Never Give In!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never Give In!

Frank
Nov 13, 2008 Frank marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I saw this quote:
"You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police. Yet in their hearts there is unspoken - unspeakable! - fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts! Words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home, and all the more powerful because they are forbidden. These terrify them. A little mouse - a little tiny mouse! - of thought appears in the room and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic."

and kne
Jonathan
If Winston Churchill had only been a writer he would have been an exceptional human being. This collection of the best of his speeches, ranging from his first political speech in 1897 to his reply to being awarded honorary citizenship of the USA in 1963 (delivered by his son Randolph as he was too unwell to travel by then), is a comprehensive look at the responses by a man to 20th Century world events, who was undoubtedly one of its most outstanding figures.

When I started reading this book it m
Melliereed
A speech should stir one to action: either to cast off despair at the very least or at the most to plunge forward without looking back. No one since Churchill has had this effect in our modern day. He had the background that really none have in this age to lead in difficult times. I read this book because I thought if his speeches could have that much effect on a nation to stir it to win an impossible war, then surely it could help me with some words of encouragement to face the daily war of lif ...more
Reagan Ramsey
i'll quibble with the author and say that, including Churchill's speeches on the Atlantic Charter and the Balfour Declaration were unnecessary to understanding his great oratorial powers. However, it was wonderful to read many of his accounts during the two world wars, his views on socialism and the atomic bomb...and his opinion on the general sorry-ness of politicians. amazing to think how some things truly don't change...not just in that latter point, but in matters of very serious moral impor ...more
Keith
A great quick read of excerpts from speeches given by Winston Churchill. A voice we'd do well to heed today. Peace isn't won through willful ignorance. Fear is often given the guise of political correctness. At 89, he was made an honorary citizen of the United States and our country could be weighed the better for it.
h
highly recommended reading. churchill's genius was not only in his intelligence and his thoughtfulness (which allowed him to accurately assess the international developments of his lifetime) nor in his dedication to language and literature nor in his steadfast belief in the ideals of british culture and history. the true genius of churchill is in his generosity, openmindedness, and flexibility. (his ability to separate the german regime from the german people, or the communist dictatorship from ...more
Fritz
I read this entire book after reading Churchill's biography. His is one of the photos on the wall of my study.

Amazing to me, how his warnings agains socialism are still true (and needed) today.

Example: "Nationalisation! What an awful flop! Show me the nationalised industry which has not become a burden on the public either as taxpayers or consumers or both." (p 466)

Perhaps he was write when he asked: "Is it the only lesson of history that mankind is unteachable?"
(p 429)

So - several famous speec
Lamec Mariita
The speeches of Churchill are famous and well known and available in different formats. The merit of this book is that his grandson has selected the best and most interesting ones, almost 200, and that with each one he presents with few well-chosen sentences the context. If you like history, you must read these speeches.These speeches were historical actions of the first order which had meaning in the great struggle to save freedom and human civilization.
Jacqueline
This wonderful collection of Churchill's speeches covers his more than 50 years at the center of all the great historical events of the 20th century. He was a wonderful writer, his speeches deal with great events, and they give one the sense of living history. A great read.
Bharat
A good read. He was an inspiring speaker without doubt. But just like with all things 'historical', it is difficult to sift the real truth from the author's version of the truth.
Mar
Churchill was a genius---an impulsive and pushy genius. everbody can take something away from his speeches.
i'll read anything about or by this man.
Wai-kit Ng
I admire this man - for this grit and for not giving in during the darkest of nights. The speeches are ok. Not as brilliant as I thot it would be though.
Don
Churchill saving Western civilization. How to mobilize the English language to save a country and a people.
Brenden
Never Give In: The Best of Winston Churchill's Speeches by Winston S. Churchill (2003)
Todd
This book was included in my book: The 100 Best Business Books of All Time. www.100bestbiz.com
Steven
Not the best of Winston Churchill's speeches ...
Prateek Tandon
Highly Inspiring speeches compiled nicely..
Nguyen Cao Thanh
Nguyen Cao Thanh marked it as to-read
Steven Dewitt
Steven Dewitt marked it as to-read
Kristi Celestia
Kristi Celestia marked it as to-read
Vitej Bari
Vitej Bari marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Ismael Schonhorst
Ismael Schonhorst marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Yh M.
Yh M. marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Lainey
Lainey marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Andrei Stroescu
Andrei Stroescu marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Savanna
Savanna marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
  • Questions of Character: Illuminating the Heart of Leadership Through Literature
  • Control Your Destiny or Someone Else Will
  • The Radical Leap: A Personal Lesson in Extreme Leadership
  • The Leadership Moment: Nine True Stories of Triumph and Disaster and Their Lessons for Us All
  • The Power of Intuition: How to Use Your Gut Feelings to Make Better Decisions at Work
  • On Becoming a Leader
  • Discovering the Soul of Service: The Nine Drivers of Sustainable Business Success
  • The Story Factor: Inspiration, Influence, and Persuasion through the Art of Storytelling
  • A New Brand World: Eight Principles for Achieving Brand Leadership in the Twenty-First Century
  • The Great Game of Business: Unlocking the Power and Profitability of Open-Book Management
  • How to Be a Star at Work: 9 Breakthrough Strategies You Need to Succeed
  • The Knowing-Doing Gap: How Smart Companies Turn Knowledge into Action
  • American Steel
  • Leadership Is an Art
  • My Years with General Motors
  • The Age of Unreason
  • The Republic of Tea: : The Story of the Creation of a Business, as Told Through the Personal Letters of Its Founders
  • Jump Start Your Business Brain: Scientific Ideas and Advice That Will Immediately Double Your Business Success Rate
Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill, KG, OM, CH, TD, FRS, PC (Can) was a British politician who served as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1940 to 1945, and again from 1951 to 1955. A noted statesman, orator and strategist, Churchill was also an officer in the British Army. A prolific author, he won the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1953 for his own historical writings, "for his mastery ...more
More about Winston S. Churchill...
The Gathering Storm (The Second World War, #1) My Early Life, 1874-1904 Their Finest Hour (The Second World War, #2) The Second World War The Birth of Britain (A History of the English Speaking Peoples, #1)

“Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.” 925 likes
“We are all worms, But I do believe that I am a glow worm.” 487 likes