Start by marking “Green Man: The Archetype of Our Oneness with the Earth” as Want to Read:
Green Man: The Archetype of Our Oneness with the Earth

Green Man: The Archetype of Our Oneness with the Earth

The Green movement and the women's movement have picked up on the scientific Gaia hypothesis, which suggests that the planet Earth is a single living organism. The next stage of the ecological revolution begins with the reawakening of the male counterpart of the Goddess, the Green Man, and archetype found in folklore and religious art from the earliest times, and especiall ...more
Published December 7th 1990 by HarperOne (first published October 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Green Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Green Man

Mark Singer
Jun 02, 2010 Mark Singer rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone interested in mythology
Recommended to Mark by: no one
Shelves: mythology
A comprehensive and well written survey of The Green Man archetype.
Helene
Jan 15, 2017 Helene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: students of both art and mythology
Shelves: nonfiction
This book has been on my shelf, unread, for a long time. One of my 2017 resolutions is to actually read some of these books that I have long been interested in but have never picked up.

This was not what I expected but I did enjoy it. I expected more folklore, legends, and mythology and though there was enough of that to keep me happy, it was much more about the art of the Green Man, mostly in architecture through the ages.

It is well researched, written, and documented. The photographs are phenom
Marley
Mar 08, 2013 Marley rated it it was amazing
I've always been interested in The Green Man (more than the Great Goddess) and a long time ago I actually saw him. (Don't ask!)

I can't say I'm very interested in archetypes, but I do enjoy art and architectural history, so I greatly appreciate this study, which with it's focus on architecture (though it certainly discusses archetypes. The author follows the Green Man's history through Western culture right up to modern ecology. The photographs are great. I hate to sound like a juvenile reader, b
Bill
Jun 08, 2013 Bill rated it really liked it
Shelves: architecture
You've probably seen him even if you haven't noticed. This book explores the historical, artistic, architectural and spiritual history of this pre-Christian image that has stubbornly hung on with something akin to ubiquity. The "foliate head" turns up in even the most religious of settings, from Gothic cathedrals to the title pages of Martin Luther's writings. The book can veer a little toward the New Agey at times, but that hazard seems inherent in the subject matter. The profuse photography ea ...more
Margaret
Aug 17, 2012 Margaret rated it liked it
A good examination of the green man, particularly in architecture. I had the chance to visit London a year ago and, even though at the time I was only marginally aware of the green man, I saw his image everywhere and became inspired by him. I had hoped the book would have more folk tales and myth associated with the green man, but it is more an examination of his image in architecture. This is fine, just not exactly what I wanted.
Frostik Dar
Mar 19, 2013 Frostik Dar rated it it was amazing
(now starting to list shelf #2 in the study)
Greenmen are everywhere...not just at Roslyn Chapel! Actually, I first noticed the gargoyles on older buildings at the U of Washington -- but then started spotting greenmen in friezes there as well. and it's been great fun shooting pictures of every green man spotted in churches.
Amy
Jan 11, 2016 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Green Man as an archetype of the knowledge of plants, divine inspiration and the unity between humanity and Nature that has been disrupted by mechanized agriculture and the industrial revolution.

Kris
Mar 30, 2008 Kris rated it really liked it
I didn't think I'd like this book, but it turned out to be very interesting. We had to study this book for our Literature class in college.
Apanakhi Buckley
Apanakhi Buckley rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2015
Donald
Donald rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2013
Todd
Todd rated it it was ok
May 15, 2016
Joshua
Joshua rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2015
Ruby Hollyberry
Ruby Hollyberry rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2010
Gilbert
Gilbert rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2008
Morganna
Morganna rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2013
Ruth Temple
Ruth Temple rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2010
Jim
Jim rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2011
Beth Barany
Beth Barany rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2014
Tom Norton
Tom Norton rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2014
Kimberley
Kimberley rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2011
Meredith
Meredith rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2009
Angelina Justice
Angelina Justice rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2010
John
John rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2008
Kelly
Kelly rated it liked it
Dec 16, 2013
saricima
saricima rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2010
Sue Bridgwater
Sue Bridgwater rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2016
Boniface Wolfsong
Boniface Wolfsong rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2013
Anne
Anne rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2015
Laura Smith
Laura Smith rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2014
Sarah rated it did not like it
Aug 02, 2010
« previous 1 3 next »
William Anderson is a British poet and author of books on may subjects including Dante the Maker (1980), which won the International PEN Club Award "The Silver Pen."

More about William Anderson...