Start by marking “Cold Tom” as Want to Read:
Cold Tom

Sally Prue

Cold Tom

3.29  ·  Rating Details  ·  306 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
Part human, part elfin, young Tom struggles to find a place to call home in this striking debut fantasy novel.

Tom is both elfin and human, and running for his life. Cast out from the elfin Tribe, he must hide among the hated humans, whom the Tribe call "demons." Tom's Tribe-half seeks freedom and thrives on a connection with nature which lets him "call on the stars" and tu
Published June 1st 2003 by Scholastic Press (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Cold Tom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cold Tom

Coraline by Neil GaimanThe Graveyard Book by Neil GaimanThe Bad Beginning by Lemony SnicketMatilda by Roald DahlThe Witches by Roald Dahl
Best Books for Morbid Kids
402nd out of 478 books — 365 voters
Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray BradburyThe Poison Eaters and Other Stories by Holly BlackThe Sacred Lies of Minnow Bly by Stephanie OakesRed as Blood, or Tales from the Sisters Grimmer by Tanith LeeThe Bloody Chamber and Other Stories by Angela Carter
The Night-Road
22nd out of 30 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Farhan Rahman
Jul 05, 2013 Farhan Rahman rated it liked it
I must say that this book was very clever in that I had no idea about the demons at all! Until it was revealed of course! I don't really want to give anything away but it was interesting to see Tom's perception of humans which are maybe the thoughts of Sally Prue and the message she was trying to show. It makes you think how we come across to others and how we treat the world, others and wildlife.

Apart from that, I did find most of the plot quite predictable although I think it would keep a youn
Jacey
Mar 11, 2012 Jacey rated it really liked it
What a delight this short book is. I'm a sucker for Tam Lin stories, but this is a completely original take on the tale from the point of view of Tom, a child of the Tribe that lives on the common, elves or fairy folk. Strange cold creatures that eat their meat raw and have no ties of kinship and no concept of love or nurturing their young. Tom isn't like the other members of the tribe, he's clumsy and heavy and he's losing his hearing and he doesn't see as well as he used to. Driven out by fear ...more
Julie Decker
Aug 15, 2014 Julie Decker rated it liked it
Tom realizes he's different from the others of his tribe. He doesn't see or hear as well as they do, and he's clumsier, so before long he finds his own people turning on him, driving him out. But the only place he can go when he flees is a shed in the world of the demons, and he fears their demonic power over people like him. They cannot call on the stars and become invisible, and they entrap others with terrible vines that bind them together. Over time Tom will realize his ancestry is half elfi ...more
Sally
May 30, 2012 Sally rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: could-not-finish
Okay, not really sure why I decided to borrow this from the library, given how much I disliked the "Tribe" in Ice Maiden. I managed to read about 20 pages before just deciding, no, this is not going to happen. Skipped forward a bit but still couldn't get into it. I just found it uncomfortable and not something I wanted to read. *shrug*
Collin
Apr 23, 2014 Collin rated it liked it
3.5. The story really could have done with a longer book and a more involved style, but as a story aimed at younger kids it's really, really good. I love the different take on fair folk/elves - basically everything to do with the fair folk/elves was fantastic, from the coldness to their thirst for blood to their repulsion to possessions and emotional entanglements and basically everything human - and Tom is a really cool character (no pun intended). Still, the side characters weren't very well f ...more
Amy
Sep 26, 2010 Amy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read a few pages and just couldn't continue...this is really unlike me, I always at least try to finish books, but I just found it terribly boring.

Check out my Book Review Blog: href="http://www.babblingbookcase.blogspot.... Babbling Bookcase
Alex
Jan 08, 2016 Alex added it
Pat
Dec 03, 2015 Pat rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-lit, sff
Everything old is new again. Here Elves are treacherous, amoral, and stunningly beautiful with powers humans can only dream of. A refreshing take on elves after too many cloyingly sweet fairy stories.

Cold Tom, an adolescent elf, runs into the dreaded demon (aka human) town to escape death at the hands of his elven parents. In our time, of course, no one believes in the fae. And Cold Tom as narrator gives a wonderfully interesting insight into how his elven mind views all things human. A quick a
Jason (RawBlurb)
Jan 05, 2015 Jason (RawBlurb) rated it really liked it
I picked this book up about a month ago in a bargain bin at Barnes and Nobles. They were charging a dollar for it. I read the inside cover and decided, what the hell, its only a buck.. The cover art for the hardbound book was worth a dollar by itself. it was glossy and reflective. if i were a raven, i would rip it apart and love on it for its shininess.

[...:]

Tom cannot hunt, he is too clumsy. he cannot creep quietly through the forest as the others. He very nearly outs the whole village to the “
Caroline
Aug 19, 2010 Caroline rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, august2010
Gail Thompson
This book had a few good but it was a little strange. Some parts of the book were engaging and original and some parts felt a little like padding. My interest waned during the part in Edie's house and I had guessed that humans were demons by page two. All in all this is ok for reading n a rainy afternoon but I have read better books. Perhaps a younger reader would view it differently.
Sunny
Oct 28, 2015 Sunny rated it really liked it
I fondly remember reading this as a kid. I didn't completely get it at first but it was the kind of book that intrigued me in the beginning, leading to multiple readings and then the realization that the story had grown on me. Still have my bedraggled copy.
Gabrielle DeSantis
Apr 27, 2015 Gabrielle DeSantis rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It's definitely different from anything I've read before and there were some twists that really surprised me. This book had a lot more to say than just the words on the page and I found the concepts thought provoking and new.
Johanna White
Aug 06, 2015 Johanna White rated it really liked it
A very interesting take on Faery myth and legend. it's supposed to be a YA, but there is a bit more discussion/actuality of the attempted/murder of family members among the fey folk than I feel comfortable with allowing my stepdaughter to read.
Adriana
Mar 31, 2016 Adriana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've had this book since I was a child and now I've finally read it. I've got to say it was better than I thought it would. It was really about our connection to each other and how that connection or love can save us.
Nathan
Jun 01, 2015 Nathan rated it liked it
This book was ok. ok in the sense that it felt empty like there wasn't engulf background info about tom. also sometimes during
The Black Hat Writer
Jan 09, 2016 The Black Hat Writer rated it it was ok
I know it's a children's book, and they are very simplistic, but that's no excuse for the lack of creativity. I felt like I read a different version of the same chapter over and over.

Being a children's book, it should have offered some prose that could expand a child's literary mind, or at least find a way to appeal to the intended audience's feelings of wonderment and misunderstanding about the world and perhaps reach out a hand of comfort. But, that didn't happen. It just talked about him "ca
Sophia
Jan 08, 2014 Sophia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, this was the WORST book ever! I mean, I am not dissing the author or anything. I think that Sally Prue could write a better book. This book was not easy moving and is hard to follow allow. They don't even tell you what Tom is. They described him being cold, pale, small, and has fangs. So I thought he was vampire this whole book! Until I looked up a book summary for a school project!
Ronald
Jun 25, 2010 Ronald rated it really liked it
Shelves: 10th-grade-shelf
This story begins talking about a boy who is struggling from humans and people from his tribe, which i believe was a bunch of kids. He is almost all of the time in fear and threat of being found or even worst being killed. When that happens he turns invisible but what else happens is that his human characterizes are flowing more to the surface of his hearts. He fears to accept those human emotions and intensions, afraid to bond with other humans.

I gave this book 4 stars because i though this was
Scott Williams
ff2db5ff-865c-4bed-b95c-122c398ea6be
Xue Yun
Jun 02, 2008 Xue Yun rated it it was ok
Shelves: 9th-grade
I actually did not like this book. This book has a slow but okay plot.

This story begins talking about a boy struggling from humans and people from his tribe. He is constantly in fear and threat of getting killed. When that happens he turns invisible but what else happens is that his human characterizes are flowing more to the surface of his hearts. He fears to accept those human emotions and intensions, afraid to bond with other humans. However the questions is, is he a elfin or a human?
Sophie
Mar 31, 2009 Sophie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cold Tom was a short novel I picked up at the library. Sally Prue writes concisely, but not lightly. The book made me think about humans, and our treatment of each other. Prue takes aq more positive spin on humans than is often seen in literature, but in a different way. This book was really enjoyable and thought provoking. I recommend it to anybody who needs to read a book quickly for a school project as theres plenty of fodder for discussion in its 130 pages.
Kirsty
Jan 13, 2014 Kirsty rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, favourites, spec-fic
One of the darkest, most beautiful books I've ever read. This story goes places that few adult books dare, mixing in mythical and fantastical tropes with ease –and all of it in sparse, vivid prose. Love it. ...more
C.J.
Apr 01, 2016 C.J. rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.
Brock 3rd
May 04, 2011 Brock 3rd rated it really liked it
Shelves:
This is a really good book and I really recamend it. Tom is a boy who is hated by his tribe. He over hears that they are going to kill him so he runs away from his tribe. He goes to this place that the hated humans who are called demons. One of the demons finds him and helps him hide from everybody. I won't tell you further because I think that you should really read this book and it is really good. Everybody should read it.
Komal
Feb 24, 2013 Komal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me say straight out that the book is meant for younger children, and I myself read it as a child. But I still remember the trails of magic that seemed to lead into its story and the childish enchantment this book held for me. Despite the book being brief and full of elves and witches, it gives you very warm reminders of how good it is to love and be human. If this author ever wrote anything more mature, I would love to read it.
Kyra Dune
It's interesting to read a story from the point of view of someone not human and I think the author did a fine job of making Tom and his kind very different and strange. This is a rather odd book and though I did enjoy it, it was a little dull. It's also a fairly short read, or at least it was for me. Still, if you like YA fantasy and you're looking for something kind of different, you might want to give this one a try.
Jenny
Mar 08, 2011 Jenny rated it liked it
Shelves: teen, fantasy
Tom is an outcast from the elven Tribe, and his sire Larn is hunting him. He must flee to the demon city with stifling houses and loud voices, far from the cold, fierce freedom of the stars. He is not elven and not demon, but something in between. He is found by two demon children, Joe and Amy, who enslave him with bonds of human love that won't let go and change him forever.
Ruby
May 07, 2011 Ruby rated it really liked it
I found Sally Prue's first published work to be strong from start to finish. This book is different than most fantasy books I've read, which is a big plus. Written for the YA segment, this book is one that explores the bonds of that "demons" share, whether from the same familial link or not. An easy read that keeps you turning page after page.
Yvonne
Feb 29, 2012 Yvonne rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, i-own-this, fantasy
Tom is different from the rest of his tribe. He fears to get killed and flees to the city of demons - the humans.

It sounded promising but was a steange read - part of it might be due to the fact that I've read the German translation.

I guess I might try to find an English copy and read it again, there is so much that just gets lost in translation.
  • Children Of Promise [Book 2] (The Days Of Laura Ingalls Wilder)
  • Oy, Joy!
  • Wild Horses (Saddle Club, #58)
  • Finding Buck McHenry
  • The Diary
  • Prom Queen Geeks
  • Warriors of Camlann (Warriors #2)
  • The Ripper
  • Gaia Abducted (Fearless Super Edition, #2)
  • The Dark Horse