Start by marking “The Final Reckoning” as Want to Read:
The Final Reckoning

The Final Reckoning

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,845 Ratings  ·  124 Reviews
Tom has come a long way since his days as an idealistic lawyer. Now he'll work for anyone - as long as the price is right.

A suspected suicide bomber shot by UN security staff, a hidden brotherhood that has caused hundreds of unexplained deaths. Tom must unlock a secret buried for more than sixty years.
Published 2008 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about The Final Reckoning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Final Reckoning

The Da Vinci Code by Dan BrownAngels & Demons by Dan BrownThe Lost Symbol by Dan BrownTimeline by Michael CrichtonInferno by Dan Brown
Treasure Hunter Thrillers
107th out of 295 books — 663 voters
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonTell No One by Harlan CobenThe Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg LarssonHeavy Duty People by Iain ParkeEveryone Burns by John Dolan
Favourite Crime & Thrillers
197th out of 745 books — 695 voters

More lists with this book...

Daniel Taylor
The only reason I read this book was it was in a Reader's Digest condensed edition. It's books like this one that inspire me to read the Reader's Digest collections. It's one I would have passed over in the shops but I've found a new author to love.

When an elderly man is shot on the doorstep of the United Nations, lawyer Tom Byrne gets called in to placate the man's daughter. But as he digs deepr he discovers the man's history as an assassin in a Jewish group that targets former Nazis who escape
Darlene
May 23, 2013 Darlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Final Reckoning is a fast paced thriller centered around a mysterious group of Holocaust survivors and their ultimate quest for justice. This page turner starts out with the 'accidental' killing of a man dressed completely in black and thought to be a suicide bomber, in front of the United Nations building . What was thought to be the killing of a possible terrorist subject turned into what appeared to be an international 'black eye' for the United Nations. It was quickly discovered that thi ...more
Reda
Apr 23, 2011 Reda rated it liked it
An interesting novel, based on a true fact: a group of Holocaust survivors who seek revenge for the Nazi slaughter of the Jews in the years after WWII. Of course, there is a love aspect, but it doesn't detract from the main story line. I liked the philosophical dilemia presented, and the excellent way the author dealt with both sides of the issue. The characters also grew and evolved, essential to a good book.

"You may ask whether, when I did understand, I ever questioned it. But the thing no on
Jennifer Rayment
Mar 20, 2011 Jennifer Rayment rated it it was amazing
The Good Stuff

* Fascinating intense mystery inspired by a true story
* Intriguing smart thriller with tons of twists and turns
* Introduction grabs you and doesn't let go until the very last page
* Keeps you second guessing yourself about what is going on
* Really makes you think
* Powerfully intense and emotional and quite frankly uncomfortable at times
* Author has obviously done his research and his passionate interest in the subject matter is obvious
* I won't lie, there are many scenes tha
Matt
May 16, 2012 Matt rated it really liked it
Sam Bourne does it again with an excellent stand-alone novel that gets to the heart of a controversial subject from an unorthodox pathway. Delving into the mustery behind an accidental shooting inside the UN, Bourne takes the reader on a journey around the world and through time, touching on the fallout of WWII and the reaction to the Nazi death camps.

What looks like a simple shooting by a UN Security official turns out to be something much more complex and surrounded by numerous secrets. Bourne
Luís Blue Coltrane
REASONABLE!!

The plot of the book was well developed, despite the theme beaten and exploited by several authors, but there is a twist that makes reading more interesting.

What disappoints in the book would be the part that involves the romance between the two main characters, because it seems that the author was forced to put this element in the plot, such superficiality that develops the relationship (we're not talking about two teenagers) .

There are historical elements in the books, which are im
Doms
Apr 09, 2014 Doms rated it it was amazing
Tato kniha je velmi zajímavá.... Dozvíte se tu hodně o holocaustu, OSN..... Je napsaná i podle pravdy, když čte o koncentračních táborech, o jednotce DIN a5d. je to vše pravda. Jinak kniha by dala přečíst i za den, kdybyste měli čas. Takže knihu moc doporučuji :)
Aruna Kumar Gadepalli
A gripping storyline.
Stephen Hayes
When I picked up this book from the shelf in the book shop I read on the cover the blurb, "The biggest challenger to Dan Brown's crown." Normally that would have been enough to make me put the book back on the shelf and look for something else, but I recalled that I had just read another book by Sam Bourne and it hadn't been nearly as bad as anything written by Dan Brown, so I thought I'd take a chance on it anyway. It was remaindered and going cheap so I wouldn't lose too much if it was a serio ...more
Sridhar Babu
May 29, 2016 Sridhar Babu rated it it was amazing
AUTHOR..
SAM BOURNE..
CHARACTERS..
Tom Byrne, Rebecca Merton, Gerald Merton (aka Gershon Matzkin), Henning Munchau, Paavo Viren and others...
LOCATION..
UN headquarters NEW YORK (USA) and LONDON CITY (UK)
GENRE..
SUSPENSE...
PLOT..

At UN Headquarters New York,(UN plaza) a 70 year old man was shot dead, by an officer of the UN Security Force. The dead man identified as Gerald Merton, a British citizen, (actual place of birth: Kaunas, Lithuania )was killed, by mistake, because his appearance perfectl
Lel
This book is not something that I would normally read but actually found myself very engrossed. The basic story is about a man that is shot down on United Nations property and whether he should have been or if it was a huge misunderstanding. What comes from this is a lot of secrets and plots going back to the world war two holocaust.
A lot of disturbingly true accounts are retold in this story that made my heart bleed for what people went through back then.
What I liked about this book was it didn
Nell Rose
Apr 03, 2014 Nell Rose rated it it was amazing
The Final Reckoning was a fascinating and horrifying look behind the history of World War Two and the Holocaust. The story centers around a mysterious older man who is shot dead outside the United Nations, and to their horror realise that he is actually 78 years old.

But things are not what they seem. Since World War 2 there have been mysterious deaths around the world, seemingly by a group of secret Jewish assassins.

This is a fast paced action story, that left me amazed, disgusted and horrifie
Leonard
John The
Apr 09, 2016 John The rated it really liked it
An interesting book which starts with the killing of a suspected suicide bomber by UN security staff.
The book involves group of holocaust survivors and secrets that date back to the second world war, much of the historical detail within the novel are true.
The plot become complex as it evolves and will keep the reader interested an gripped whilst also making them think about the state of the world and the atrocities that man pours on to his fellow man.
I really liked the book and has made me want
Henni
spændende, men ikke helt på højde med de to andre Bourne boger jeg har læst.

Måske skyldes det at jeg delvist havde gættet plottet fra starten, og blive irriteret over de åbenlyse (syntes jeg) spor vores heltepar overså.
Generelt set er det en velskrevet spændingsbog, krydret med masser at historiske facts, som øger følelsen af at det kunne være sket/ske i virkeligheden.

OG så er det dejligt befriende at Sam Bourne ikke er faldet i "serie-fælden" som så mange andre krimiforfattere, men vælger en he
Gail Cooke
Jan 17, 2011 Gail Cooke rated it really liked it

Writing as Sam Bourne British author Jonathan Freedland has crafted a chilling suspense novel based in large part on recent history. It’s a conspiracy thriller that segues between past and present. The past includes terrifying descriptions of the horrors perpetrated by the Nazis, and the heroic efforts of the captured people simply to survive.

We are made aware of the subject matter in the Prologue: “So forgive me if what you read here is harsh, if it haunts you the way it haunts me. But there
Anbu
Apr 16, 2011 Anbu rated it really liked it
The Final reckoning, a Dan Brown Type mystery thriller, that deals with the journey of former UN lawyer Tom Byrne who found the hidden secrets about the Holocaust incidents when trying to close in what looked like a murder by mistaken identity by UN officials.

This thriller of Sam Bourne is the third book, I have read of him. I would say this is the best book in the content-wise. I liked the flashback story about Gershon Matzkin more than the thriller of Tom Byrne’s adventures.

With the historical
Kelly Hager
Nov 30, 2010 Kelly Hager rated it it was amazing
This is fiction but is based on true events. After the Holocaust (years later), a group of Jews began tracking down and killing Nazis. This is a novel about that.

That's all I want to tell you about the plot of this book, because it's so amazing and exciting that I don't want to cheat you out of anything.

If you like thrillers or World War II or books that are well-written and exciting, this is the novel for you. (And out in plenty of time for winter holiday presents! Except for Hanukkah, which b
Neil Frankland
Jan 10, 2010 Neil Frankland rated it really liked it
bringing into holocaust images can be either dangerous or evocative depending on how the subject matter is approached. In this book, it is done so in a manner that is quite clearly pro jewish yet the story is realistic enough not to pass judgement on zionist attitudes which are prevalent and goes further to ask the question, were the jews denied revenge against the nazi's? Did they even get Justice? These questions and the sometimes uncomfortable situations they present are put into this book. S ...more
Ashish
Shelves: 2011-reads
PROTAGONIST: Tom Byrne
SETTING: New York, UK and WW2
RATING: 3.75

There’s a huge gathering of important world figures at the United Nations in New York, and security is on high alert as a result. When the perimeter guards identify a suspicious figure, the interior guards are notified and end up shooting the supposed suicide bomber. As it turns out, the victim is a harmless old man who is merely bundled up against the cold. Sensing a disastrous publicity campaign against the Americans, the UN Secret
Lewis Weinstein
Dec 12, 2011 Lewis Weinstein rated it liked it
This is an exciting read, although some suspension of belief is needed. I agree with previous reviewers that the NYPD sections are very stretched. The real story on which this novel is based may be even more powerful, and Bourne provides several references, including ...

Forged in Fury
The Avengers
The Vanished World of Lithuanian Jews

The central point of The Final Reckoning is of course infuriating ... that most of the Nazis and those who supported them in their efforts to murder Jews (including
Sophie Dusting
Jun 16, 2012 Sophie Dusting rated it really liked it
Meghan Cooper
Mar 16, 2010 Meghan Cooper rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who want to read something eye opening
I got this book out of the library not expecting to enjoy it because I hadn't enjoyed his other novel. I found this one was completely different though to "The Last Testament", it was a lot better in so many ways.
This book looked at how Jews had been a part of the DIN, a group of people who wanted to fight back at the Nazi's who had shed the blood of their children and wifes and husbands. It tells the life story of a fictional character who has seen his whole family killed by the Nazi, he is fil
David Gee
Jul 23, 2012 David Gee rated it liked it
A cop shoots an elderly man in the United Nations Plaza in New York, mistaking him for a terrorist. Lawyer Tom Byrne investigates the shooting and finds that the dead man, a naturalized Briton but originally a Jew from Lithuania, may not have been an innocent victim. Working alongside the Lithuanian's glamorous daughter (cue romance!), Byrne is soon on the trail of a 'cabal' that has been exacting revenge for the Holocaust since the late 1940s.

Sam Bourne is often trumpeted as one of Dan Brown's
Abe
Jan 31, 2010 Abe rated it really liked it
Another well-written work by Sam Bourne filled with suspense and reads like an historical fiction novel. I got the impression that the story was designed to create empathy for holocaust survivors and justify acts of revenge. The book offers evidence of atrocities inflicted on the Jews and their efforts to inflict revenge. They partially succeeded in Plan B but were thwarted with Plan A that would have killed millions of Germans. Those who take revenge engage in similar despicable acts as the per ...more
Nair
Mar 08, 2015 Nair rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Final Reckoning brings out the horrors of the holocaust and it could be painful reading for some. How barbaric can mankind be to wipe out entire races based on skin or religious affiliations. Why do we kill each other for these reasons. Is revenge and killing the perpetrators of these horrific crimes justifiable ?
Sam Bourne does ask these uncomfortable questions in this thriller which starts of well does slow down in the middle and picks up in the end.
Pooja Soni
Apr 20, 2015 Pooja Soni rated it it was amazing
Shelves: just-genius
I loved every minute of it. Thank you Sam bourne for this gem. My heart goes out to the victims of Hitler's brutality during the phase of WWII that shook the history of the world forever.
The act of mass murder and how jews stood of up for the pride of their existence with Plan A (Aleph) and Plan B( bakery) was exuberant and brave.Cast and creed is such bullshit. All for one and one for all rules!!!!!!!

A genius indeed you are, Sam Bourne.
Peter
Feb 12, 2011 Peter rated it really liked it
Sam Bourne writes fascinating thrillers deeply immeshed in vital and provocative aspects of Jewish Existence. The Final Reckoning is in some senses your classic thriller...the U.N., assassins, disgruntled lawyers, duplicitous individuals, hidden agendas and so on while at the same time a novel of ideas about the nature of vengenace and revenge, justice and forgiveness...this is a novel rooted in the Holocaust and today at the same time and with powerful imagery. That it is rooted in real life ev ...more
Earvin Putra
Sekali lagi belajar sejarah yang menyenangkan dari sebuah novel. Dan kali ini Pembantaian Yahudi oleh Nazi adalah materi pembelajarannya. Gaya bahasanya ringan dan bisa diterima dengan baik, dan ya merinding sih ngebayangin Holocoust dulu.
Dibilang thriller tapi sebenernya biasa aja. Kurang bikin penasaran dan saat terungkap pun cuma oh aja sih. Penyelesaian dari tiap masalah, konflik kayanya terlalu ringan aja dan bisa ketebak.
Madison Mega-Mara...: #11 The Final Reckoning 1 1 Jan 27, 2015 11:57AM
  • Pyramid
  • The Geneva Deception (Tom Kirk, #4)
  • The Lost Tomb (Jack Howard, #3)
  • The Lost Labyrinth (Daniel Knox, #3)
  • The Holy Bullet
  • Bible of the Dead
  • The Lost Throne (Payne & Jones, #4)
  • The Lazarus Vault
  • The Lost Relic (Ben Hope #6)
  • Ark of Fire (Caedmon Aisquith, #1)
  • The First Apostle (Chris Bronson, #1)
  • Sphinx
  • The Nostradamus Prophecies (Antichrist Trilogy #1)
Sam Bourne is the literary pseudonym of Jonathan Freedland, an award-winning British journalist and broadcaster. He has written a weekly column for The Guardian since 1997, having previously served as the paper's Washington correspondent. His work has also appeared in The New York Times, The New York Review of Books, the Los Angeles Times, The Washington Post, Newsweek, The New Republic, and The J ...more
More about Sam Bourne...