Start by marking “Trust and Treason” as Want to Read:
Trust and Treason

Trust and Treason

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  11 ratings  ·  5 reviews
A gritty historical novel of treason and family loyalty in Elizabethan England; the author's only novel.

Far out in the Sussex countryside the prolific Woodfall family, prospering from advantageous marriages, feels removed from the political intrigue that marks the rule of Elizabeth I. In fact, young Thomas Woodfall early found favor with the man-wary Princess Elizabeth for...more
Published October 27th 1989 by The Bodley Head (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Trust and Treason, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trust and Treason

Wynnleaf
One of my favorite historical novels. This was a first novel and it's very sad that evidently the author never published another book. It won the British historical novel award in memory of Georgette Heyer. However Trust and Treason is nothing like a Heyer book! Set in Elizabethan England, it's a gritty, fast paced story of spies, suspense, murder, treason, and the price of honor and love. One of those books where you don't want to leave the characters. I kept hoping for a series based on the ma...more
Lin
Goodreads describes this book as a "gritty" read. I have to agree 100%. It won the G.Heyer Prize but do not imagine that this is a light, fluffy read. If something could go wrong with this family it did, from plague to treason. Still I do recommend it as a good read.
CLM
Caught in the web of political machinations, the Woodfall family, true allies of Elizabeth and the Crown, falls victim to a false accusation of treason and is ruined. Only Robert, a bastard son, kidnapped as a child and now a trained espionage agent, can help — if love for his family can overcome his training to be cold and detached.
Ann L.
While there were some unbelievably fanciful things about this book, in general I found I was interested in its outcome. I liked Ms. Birkhead's writing style. Found the plot twists intriguing and her characters well rounded.
Mary
A brilliant historical novel
Jeanette
Jeanette marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Clare
Clare added it
Apr 14, 2014
Allie
Allie marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Sara Giacalone
Sara Giacalone marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2013
lyn
lyn added it
May 18, 2013
Kathy Garrelts
Kathy Garrelts marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2013
Gavin
Gavin added it
Feb 09, 2013
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2013
Rio (Lynne)
Rio (Lynne) marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2012
Tanzanite
Tanzanite marked it as to-read
May 13, 2012
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2012
Serena
Serena added it
Feb 28, 2012
Renee
Renee marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2011
Misfit
Misfit added it
Aug 21, 2010
Purlescent
Purlescent marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2009
Regan
Regan marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2008