Rain Player

Rain Player

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  17 reviews
The ancient Mayan belief that the future was divinely decreed and could not be changed is the basis for this original tale of a boy who must defeat the Rain God in a ball game to save his people from disaster. Mayan art and architecture were the inspiration for the spectacular cut-paper artwork.
Published September 23rd 1991 by Clarion Books

To ask other readers questions about Rain Player, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rain Player

Heather
We read this as part of our ancient American study of the Mayans. The boys really liked it. The illustrations are superb and bring a lot to the story.

The story itself is sensational, as are most legends/fairy tales, but that's what makes it fun.

Valuable addition to study for the Mayan culture. It makes it very easy for the little ones to feel involved too.
Shannon
I couldn't read my students Golem, so I read them this instead. They were absolutely transfixed, and so was I. We reread this book nearly three times during our library class. :)
Bullcitytaheel
Jan 29, 2009 Bullcitytaheel rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Older elementary; culture studies?
More amazing paper-cut artwork. Mayan story with god(s). A little hard to catch on to at first - more for middle to older elementary.
Beautifully illustrated, nicely structured and engaging story, built around a real Mayan game.
Kara

This is a good re-telling of a myth, but the pictures are simply AMAZING! It is truly astounding how much life and movement and expression and action and detail the author archived with an exacto knife and construction paper.

I would easily place the story on par with any comic-book super hero action 3-D film in theaters. Hands down.
Emkoshka
Engaging, interesting, colourful, incredibly detailed paper-cut illustrations. It's a David Wisniewski book; what more can I say?! I love it that with each of his books I read, I learn a little about an unfamiliar culture or history.
Steve Boman
This small picture book is a great way to show our children more about Mayan culture, along with the idea of not being so boastful and arrogant (unless you'd like to be a frog).
Cheryl
Probably a four but the cutwork is so gorgeous, it deserved an extra point. I enjoyed the factual info in the back as well as the story.
Hari
I loved it. Colorful and fun. Mixed fantasy and history in a fun way. I would easily believe this was a real myth.
Johnson
To bring rain to his thirsty village, Pik challenges the rain god to a game of pok-a-tok.
Becky
Great story with AMAZING artwork. A loose retelling if a Maya legend.
Beverly
I love the beautiful, intricate and detailed cut paper illustrations.
Brent
Available at Carlos Museum Bookshop -
Lara
One of his better stories and illustrations
Colleen
A bit wordy but a decent story.
Apr 16, 2011 Sarah marked it as to-read
Shelves: srp-2011
water myth
Cinthia
Cinthia marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Pearse
Pearse marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Taylor
Taylor added it
Jul 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Golem The Secret Knowledge of Grown-ups Tough Cookie Sundiata: Lion King of Mali The Secret Knowledge of Grown-ups: The Second File