Start by marking “The Fairy Stories Of Oscar Wilde” as Want to Read:
The Fairy Stories Of Oscar Wilde

The Fairy Stories Of Oscar Wilde

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  254 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Der berüchtigte Dubliner Dandy, brillante Ästhet und provozierende Kritiker der Londoner und Pariser Gesellschaft des ausgehenden 19. Jahrhunderts hat eine außergewöhnliche Sammlung bezaubernder Märchen, berühmter Erzählungen und sinnreicher Prosagedichte hinterlassen. Vom »Glücklichen Prinz« bis zu »Lord Arthur Saviles Verbrechen« und dem »Gespenst von Canterville« ist in ...more
Published July 4th 1985 by Orion Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about The Fairy Stories Of Oscar Wilde, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fairy Stories Of Oscar Wilde

Belle
I remember when I was a kid The Happy Prince was my least favourite fairy tale. It is just so bleak and depressing. This audiobook provided my first experience of Oscar Wilde's other fairy tales and yep, bleak and depressing is the theme for all of them. I don't think there's one with a happy ending. It got a bit much by the end of the book, frankly. Of course, the writing is exquisite and the pairings of some of the narrators - most especially Judy Dench, Joanna Lumley and Jeremy Irons - was di ...more
Sher
This is a precious collection of some of OW's best stories. I certainly could not call myself a fan of Wilde's political views, but the man sure could write!! I only knew two of these stories before reading the book. "The Happy Prince" is a tender story of love, devotion and loyalty. I remember reading it, or having it read to me, when I was very young. And one of my all time favorites stories, "The Selfish Giant" just doesn't get old. I get the chills every time I read it. Now I have several ot ...more
Kirjaneito
Todella koskettavia, haikeita ja julmiakin satuja. Oscar Wilden kirjoitus on edelleenkin jumalaista (huomaatteko, kuinka adjektiivini muuttuvat aina vain ylistävämmiksi?) ja satujen lukeminen on yksinkertaisesti nautintoa. Ironiaakaan ei näistä Wilden tyyliin puutu. Suosittelen lämpimästi!
Holly
I love Oscar Wilde. I love the stories he tells and the way he tells them. This version of his fairy tales in particular I am completely in love with because the illustrations are so beautiful. And I am pretty much 100% comfortable saying that Wilde would love them, too.
Kelly
“Oscar Wilde offended Victorian society by producing works of social mockery, aside from living a scandalous life. Although Wilde's fairy tales were intended for a young audience, they contain social overtones that most children would not understand, but that are meant to project a higher social ethic upon later generations. The criticism of the Victorian society in Wilde's fairy tales is apparent in the parallels between the situations he imagines and real-life situations, and also in the high ...more
Ryan
I suppose that Wilde's tales are "fairy" tales. Animals talk, there are mermaids and princesses, and magical things happen. In Wilde's tales, however, the animals are often sarcastically silly (in a way that doesn't easily translate to disney-fication, I hope), and they mock the behaviors of humans. The mermaids cause men to give up their souls, the princesses break the hearts of those who love them and the magical is really more miraculous. The themes are more clearly religious - or perhaps I m ...more
Kurt
Wilde is a brilliant writer and this book is no exception. There's a bit too much Catholicism in this book for my taste, but it doesn't really distract from the stories at all. Every story is sad, and beware reading this to kids until you've read through it first. It doesn't shy away from killing off the most sympathetic character, or having them suffer trials and tribulations without any happy ending. These stories are tender and touching paeans to love and sacrifice written with such poignancy ...more
These stories were okay. For the most part they didn't have the humor that Wilde is known for. Most of the stories were rather dark and/or quite religious. They're worth reading if you're a fan of Wilde since they're short, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend them as fairy tales for children.
Danna
O Serendipity! How grateful I am for thee! I was at the library yesterday with a printout of my Goodreads "to read" shelf, and Milwood had not a one of them. The APL system itself was also decidedly unhelpful and my lunchtime clock was ticking, so I completed my request for an audio copy of "The Importance of Being Earnest" to be sent to Milwood and in the process, stumbled upon this gem in the catalog. Lo and behold it was actually available and on the shelf. For anyone wanting to explore Wilde ...more
Hackmops
Beautifully written but bleak and often despressing as fuck. Not for small children. The recurring theme of this book is "people are awful and then everybody dies" - The Nightingale and the Rose" is a prime example of Wilde's sublime and evocative writing with a tragic ending.

By the way, this book was given to me as a gift, otherwise I would have picked up an English edition. However, this German translation is excellent.
Kristen
I was pleasantly surprised by these tales. I am a big fan of Oscar Wilde, but did not know what to expect from this collection of Fairy Tales. The writing is lovely and most of the tales have wonderful value. The later tales, are more dark but exemplify relevant concerns.
I actually read through these because I wanted to give it as a gift to a co-worker for his new daughter. I am glad that I did and I hope he will enjoy reading them to his daughter and sharing the lovely illustrations.
AJ LeBlanc
This should be called The Most Depressing Fairy Tales Ever Written And If You Are The Least Little Bit Sad You Will Want To Jump Off A Bridge by Oscar Wilde.

I liked the reverse psychology angle - most stories have a negative character that doesn't learn a thing while the good character dies an awful death. We wouldn't want to be like that, would we children?

But man...I needed to watch a Lifetime or Hallmark movie where everything is puppies and rainbows to wash away the misery.
Mesembryanthemum
Hart Publishing Company, 1975. Subtitle on (yellow) cover: "Immortal Stories of Great Charm".

NOT A DIFFERENT EDITION of " The Complete Fairy Tales" by Oscar Wilde - this book has different stories.

Contents:
-The Selfish Giant
- The Devoted Friend
- The Remarkable Rocket

Rachel
These are "fairy tales", rather than "tales of faerie". They're charming and even sweet, but have some of Wilde's satirical bite, a surprising emphasis on social injustice, and moralizing along the lines of Dorian Gray. They don't have quite the mystery or layers of MacDonald's fairy tales, but sit in my mind nonetheless. Hague's illustrations are attractive but he doesn't always capture the heart of the stories.
Wherefore Art
May 14, 2008 Wherefore Art rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children, adults young at heart, fans of Oscar Wilde
Oscar Wilde illustrates fairy tales with words of beautiful imagery and a touch of cheeky humor. These are not merely just for children - the stories go a bit more in-depth than your average fairy tale and contain very insightful and thought-provoking "morals." Wilde describes the world as he sees it, and does it audaciously. This small book is a pleasure to read.
Alex
This was a very disappointing book. At first I thought maybe I had a poor translation, but it was written in English! There were moments of wisdom and beauty, but in general, these stories failed....Though the illustrations by Michael Hague are gorgeous. I don't know what happened, but it's hard to believe these stories were written by Oscar Wilde.
John
I throughly enjoyed this audio book. Not only are the fairy tales beautiful (although some have sad endings), but the narrators are wonderful too.
Narrated By Judi Dench, Jeremy Irons, Joanna Lumley, Derek Jacobi, Sinead Cusack, Robert Harris, Samantha Bond, Geoffrey Palmer, Donald Sinden, Elaine Stritch
Janisu-chan
These are good stories, but some of them I liked much better than others. He was very cynical in many of them and I felt like children might not catch it in it's subtlety. Some were very beautiful with wonderful sentiments that were uplifting. Overall worth reading, but you may not like them all.
Robert
All in all a good and reasonable-priced edition of fairy tales and narratives. Unfortunately, I found the translation into German somewhat clumsy, that's why I decided on giving only a rating of four stars. The stories itself are certainly worth 5 stars.
Karin
The Canterville Ghost was an excellent antidote for a book on ghosts I recently read and that left me quite spooked out for a while. My favorites were The Nightingale and the Rose and The Selfish Giant. Those two read like poetry.
Brook Maturo
Beautiful stories with a touch of the strangeness of fairy tales. Just about all of them made me cry.
Mommy Farris
I love, love, love Oscar Wilde's fairy tales. He wrote them for his children to teach them about Christ. Just beautiful but hard to read to your children without crying.
Laura Craner
This little volume surprised me. Lots of tongue-in-cheek humor and a bit of satire, but still very lovely and fun and perfect to be read aloud to kiddos.
Adrianne Mathiowetz
Illustrations by Michael Hague + fairy tales of Oscar Wilde = why don't you own this book yet?
I didn't read all the tales. Not really for kids. lol
Jay
this book should take the place of bibles in hotel rooms...
Christian Krüger
Wilde hat einen so wunderbaren Humor.
Sheila Brantley
Good guys don't always win.
  • The World is Round (Little Barefoot Books)
  • The Springs of Affection
  • The Bears' Famous Invasion of Sicily
  • Hellblazer, Vol. 5: Dangerous Habits (Hellblazer New Edition, #5)
  • Nachtstücke
  • The Remembered Visit
  • Hellblazer, Vol. 3: The Fear Machine (Hellblazer New Edition, # 3)
  • The Book About Moomin, Mymble and Little My (Sort of Children's Classics)
  • A Child's Calendar
  • The Complete Fairy Tales of Brothers Grimm, Volume 1
  • The Incredible Painting of Felix Clousseau
  • Sallust's Bellum Catilinae
  • Nowhere to Call Home
  • The Little King December
  • Jeppesen Private Pilot Manual
  • Holly's Secret
  • How Come the Best Clues Are Always in the Garbage?
  • To Every Thing There Is A Season
Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde was an Irish playwright, poet and author of numerous short stories and one novel. Known for his biting wit, and a plentitude of aphorisms, he became one of the most successful playwrights of the late Victorian era in London, and one of the greatest celebrities of his day. Several of his plays continue to be widely performed, especially The Importance of Being E ...more
More about Oscar Wilde...
The Picture of Dorian Gray The Importance of Being Earnest The Importance of Being Earnest and Other Plays   An Ideal Husband The Canterville Ghost