Start by marking “Saville” as Want to Read:
Saville

Saville

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  391 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Colin Saville grows up in a mining village in South Yorkshire, against the background of war, of an industrialised countryside, of town and coalmine and village.
Published June 25th 1998 by Vintage (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Saville, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saville

John
This novel epitomizes one of my favorite quotes:

"Literature is the art of discovering something extraordinary about ordinary people, and saying with ordinary words something extraordinary." ― Boris Pasternak

Reading this book really is an extraordinary experience! I found much of it to be very comforting, very homey. I found other parts to be quite disturbing. This novel affected me in ways that I'm still trying to sort out. I suspect this is a story that I'll continue to think about, to try to c
Alex Rendall
This review has been hard to write, because this book has been extremely difficult to read. This is a personal thing on my part, because I have always found novels that describe childhood in school to be difficult, mainly because my latter years in school were not always pleasant. Saville talks about school life in spades, and a difficult school life at that. It tells the tale of Colin Saville, son of a coal miner in a 1930s Northern British mining village, who wins a scholarship to the prestigi ...more
Peter Jansen
Although somewhat bleak this book stayed with me and really gripped me. It really puts you in the shoes of the main character.
Philip
A reflection on Saville by David Storey

Saville won the Booker Prize in 1976. In such a vast novel it is inevitable that the pace will occasionally quicken and slacken, but a book like this can be read over weeks, almost dipped into as the passing phases of Colin’s life unfold. David Story was born in Wakefield, and so was I. It could be argued that his most famous and perhaps still most successful work is “This Sporting Life”, a portrait of a Rugby League player who achieves local fame and then
piratemoon
There was a very strange feel to this book. It felt very removed from that which it was narrating, the sense of alienation which the main character, Colin, feels by the end, being a part of the reader-experience throughout.

That isn't to say I didn't enjoy it. I did, actually. I rather got into reading it. It gave a view into a world that I didn't know, but that became increasingly familiar throughout. It was a world that I could imagine my Grandparents being aware of, something they would have
Courtney H.
Well, I have fallen behind on reviewing and on reading, so I figured I might try to do a little catching up. Since I just reviewed Sons and Lovers, might as well start with Saville, one of its successors. Saville falls into a fairly well-trod category of British literature: boy grows up in poor mining town, tries to escape, alternatively aided and held back by imperfect parents. Similarly, the main character is conflicted about his town: he feels his mining roots strongly, but at the same time y ...more
Katy
This is a book that is going to stay with me for awhile. I enjoyed the minutiae of Saville, but I also found the tone to be just so well handled. It is a tone of bleakness, frank existence, and of struggle.

Struggle to get out of a place, struggle to make others see a place as you see it, struggle to seek approval, struggle to give approval, struggle to please. This was what really struck me most, was the parent-child dynamics being played out. Michael Reagan and his violin, Batty going to jail (
Betty
An intense coming of age story that starts off stronger than it finishes, as your hope ebbs for Colin Saville. I became very invested in the main character and it was agonizing to go through the later stages of his young adulthood. A very realistic book that reads as black, white and grey as I imagine 1940s and 50s Wakefield must have been. Powerful, vivid writing.

Not to give anything away, the last line reads: "Above a distant line of trees, a smear of blackish smoke appeared." Yup.
Smoothw
A very sincere, old fashioned novel, that I still found quite enchanting for about two thirds of its immense lengths. The descriptions of the hard life of miners,the disappointment and intellectually stifling attitudes of a small village, growing up during world war two, and the confusion of people divorced from their social classes by education was all very well done. I give it less than five stars because when the main character reaches adulthood he becomes a detached, unlikable, character (wh ...more
Rose
I would like to read this book, but after going through this app I am still not able to figure out how to download the book so I can read it. I have clicked on "to read" but nothing happens, so even though this app has great reviews I am quickly giving up on it, even though there are several books I would like to read.
Alex
Story of a young boy growing up in a bleak mining town, and the events and his efforts to escape to be something other than another collier. Well written with a good cast of characters from the different classes of people.
Leslie
Brought all sorts of other books to my mind: Sons and Lovers by DH Lawrence, of course, Room at the Top by John Braine, even How Green Was My Valley by Richard Llewellyn. Early/mid-century bildungsroman among the industrial working class and the tensions created by aspirations to escape one's environment while also feeling connected to it.
Kathy
This book is just a little bit depressing.

The evocation of time, place and character is strong, but the alienation of the eponymous hero is reflected in a narrative that only really describes the outside of everything. The story is disjointed and there seem to be huge blank areas of the character's life about which we are told nothing.

Mamaujeni
If you grew up in a low-income family; particularly if you've been exposed to a more comfortable way of life (tertiary education or more well-off mates), then this book will surely strike a chord with you. Powerful stuff.
Sherry
I liked this book. Well written. Kept me engaged. Made me think, reflect, and wonder. Can't ask for more from a book, so I'm glad I rescued it from my husband's hometown library's giveaway shelf.
مى سلامه
mmm at first time i think it was like Seville city in Spain :)hh I'm Just Joking but The story is disjointed and there seem to be huge blank areas of the character's life.
I enjoy
Deanne
Found Saville a very difficult character to warm to. Just found him very insipid, wanted him to have a back bone and to achieve something.
Gina
1976 Booker

Story of Colin Saville, from birth until he finally decides to take control of his life.
Kim
I thought the last part of this book was really excellent but it just took far too long getting there.
Jen
Mar 28, 2015 Val marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookers, temp
1976
Jessica Webster
Jessica Webster marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Alexander
Alexander marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Erin Ahn
Erin Ahn marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
  • Something to Answer For
  • Holiday
  • The Elected Member
  • The Old Devils
  • The Conservationist
  • G.
  • Rites of Passage (To the Ends of the Earth, #1)
  • In a Free State
  • Offshore
  • How Late It Was, How Late
  • Staying On
  • The Siege of Krishnapur (Empire Trilogy, #2)
  • Heat and Dust
  • Moon Tiger
  • Sacred Hunger
  • Last Orders
  • The Famished Road
  • The Ghost Road (Regeneration, #3)
David Storey is an English playwright, screenwriter, award-winning novelist and a former professional rugby league player. Storey was born in Wakefield, Yorkshire in 1933, and studied at the Slade School of Art. His first two novels were both published in 1960, a few months apart: This Sporting Life, which won the Macmillan Fiction Award and was adapted for an award-winning 1963 film, and Flight I ...more
More about David Storey...
This Sporting Life Radcliffe Pasmore Flight Into Camden Home