Start by marking “The Royal Hunt Of The Sun (Penguin Modern Classics)” as Want to Read:
The Royal Hunt Of The Sun (Penguin Modern Classics)

The Royal Hunt Of The Sun (Penguin Modern Classics)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  260 ratings  ·  10 reviews
In 16th-century Peru, Atahuallpa, the sun-god king, meets Pizarro the conquistador, representative of the Spanish Empire at its insatiable. While the Inca King is convinced of his own immortality, the Spaniard is cynical and greedy, leading to a collision of power and authority. Soon both men are locked in a struggle for survival.
Published January 25th 2007 by Penguin Group(CA) (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about The Royal Hunt Of The Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Royal Hunt Of The Sun

Les Misérables by Victor HugoHamlet by William ShakespeareA Midsummer Night's Dream by William ShakespeareThe Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar WildeWicked by Gregory Maguire
The Best Plays or Musicals
218th out of 273 books — 121 voters
Macbeth by William ShakespeareHamlet by William ShakespeareThe Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar WildeKing Lear by William ShakespeareRomeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare
Best Plays Ever Written
65th out of 87 books — 20 voters

More lists with this book...

Stuart Aken
This play was first performed at the National Theatre in Chichester on 7th June 1964, when I was a young man of 16. I've never seen a performance, but I wish I had. Bernard Levin described the work as 'The greatest play of our generation', and I can see why, having merely read the text.

This is a piece of fictionalised history with much taken from recorded sources. It reads as true. It reads as a commentary on the utter hypocrisy of the early Catholic Church, the greed of those who would make Emp
jennifer
This play, written in the early 60's, deals with the Spanish conquest of the Incas. Pizarro, De Soto and their army of soldiers and priests travel to Peru in search of gold. They find a culture that has no hunger or sin and plenty of gold. The people are ruled by Atahuallpa, the son of the sun. He is held prisoner by the Spaniards until his people bring all the gold they possess to Pizarro, but over the months Pizarro and the king develop a friendship that threatens the Spanish army.
I wanted to
Tori
I read this in the 7th grade,and it was pressed opon us by our teachers.I didn't have a choice reading it,but I didn't mind.It was a playbook,describing when men from Spain went to take gold from the Inca's.While the vocabulary is hard to break through,the action is plentifull enough to keep you hooked.It's like a fun history lesson that is performed.
Anupam Srivastava
Is one of the greatest plays ever. It depicts the conquest of the incas by a handful of Spanish invaders by intimidating, impressing and cheating the trusting Incas. As a work of art, it is incredible and the dialogues stay in your head forever as is the case with me - read and acted in this okay in 1988.
Janet Mitchell
I read this play because my husband was in it on broadway with Christopher Plummer. The play addressed the morality of war and taking over small countries. Also greed and deception but mostly I wanted to know more about my husband's experience on Broadway.
N
Frank
It is actually a play but reads really well as a story. Intersting take on a familiar story (Pizarro, The Inca's etc) - how the Spanish conquistador's found it difficult to comprehend a society that seemed to have no rich or poor in material terms.
Lili
I first came accross this as a school text book, and I was captivated, it revealed another world. Read it again recently and although it didn't hold the same fascination I could still see that it is a remarkable book.
Antoine
Perhaps not the wisest choice for an all-school summer reading. It was not really a hit with students (but what is?), however at least it was somewhat interesting for the teachers.
Alaric
Read many many years ago at school and enjoyed.
Joel
Joel marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
  • The Weir
  • The Rainmaker
  • The White Devil
  • Miss Julie and Other Plays
Sir Peter Levin Shaffer is an English dramatist, author of numerous award-winning plays, several of which have been filmed.

See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Sh...
More about Peter Shaffer...
Amadeus Equus Black Comedy: A Comedy Lettice and Lovage Comedy -OS Five Finger Exercise: A Play

“At home we can say to our ladies: 'I love you', or to our native earth. It means we rejoice in their lives....Love must be free, or else it alters away. Command it to your court: it will send a deputy.” 0 likes
“Have you ever climbed a mountain in full armour? That's what we did, him going first the whole way up a tiny path into the clouds, with drops sheer on both sides into nothing. For hours we crept forward like blind men, the sweat freezing on our faces, lugging skittery leaking horses, and pricked all the time for the ambush that would tip us into death. Each turn of the path it grew colder. The friendly trees of the forest dropped away, and there were only pines. Then they went too, and there just scrubby little bushes standing up in ice. All round us the rocks began to whine the cold. And always above us, or below us, those filthy condor birds, hanging on the air with great tasselled wings....Four days like that; groaning, not speaking; the breath a blade in our lungs. Four days, slowly, like flies on a wall; limping flies, dying flies, up an endless wall of rock. A tiny army lost in the creases of the moon.” 0 likes