Start by marking “Artemis Fowl (Artemis Fowl, #1)” as Want to Read:
Artemis Fowl (Artemis Fowl, #1)

Artemis Fowl (Artemis Fowl #1)

3.82  ·  Rating Details ·  376,406 Ratings  ·  7,983 Reviews
Twelve-year-old Artemis Fowl is a millionaire, a genius—and, above all, a criminal mastermind. But even Artemis doesn't know what he's taken on when he kidnaps a fairy, Captain Holly Short of the LEPrecon Unit. These aren't the fairies of bedtime stories—they're dangerous! Full of unexpected twists and turns, Artemis Fowl is a riveting, magical adventure.
Published March 31st 2003 by Miramax (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Artemis Fowl, please sign up.

Lucia I personally love this book, as the author described it, it is basically Die Hard, but with fairies. It is very entertaining. Give it a try, although,…moreI personally love this book, as the author described it, it is basically Die Hard, but with fairies. It is very entertaining. Give it a try, although, that ending.......(less)

Crew
Jul 26, 2016 Crew rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: NOBODY
I had heard some mothers in a bookstore talking about Artemis Fowl and how good it was, so I finally gave in and bought the first book.

Summary: Artemis Fowl is a child genius/billionaire/criminal mastermind who has discovered that fairies (and the like) are real and is seeking to exploit them. He does this by kidnapping a LEPrecon (for Lower Elements Police Reconnaissance). The Lower Elements live underground, having been driven there by the Mud People (or humans).

I decided that the book was n
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Dec 31, 2013 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: The sophisticated reader of YA books, Faery lovers
Want to meet the guy who's smart enough to take over the world? Well he's twelve years old. And his name is Artemis Fowl. I have two words for this book: GREAT FUN.
If you are at all young at heart or you just want to read something different from your usual fare, then check out this book. Artemis will keep you entertained with his hijinks. At the age of 12, Artemis is keeping his family afloat as they suffer from grief at the disappearance of Artemis Fowl, Sr, his father. His mother has retreat
J.G. Keely
Mar 13, 2014 J.G. Keely rated it it was ok
Colfer has described this series as “Die Hard, with fairies”, which is a reference to an old Hollywood joke. After the phenomenal success of that movie, a lot of writers started pitching their scripts as ‘Die Hard, with [blank]”, such as Speed: “Die Hard on a Bus”, or Air Force One: “Die Hard, on Air Force One”, or, as the joke goes, the unfortunate who wanted to make "Die Hard, in a building".

If you have actually seen Die Hard, you might recall Hans Gruber, the wealthy, cunning, erudite, Europe
Jason Koivu
Jan 15, 2014 Jason Koivu rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, sci-fi, fantasy
From the get-go it appears Artemis Fowl is going to be about Artemis Fowl, a criminal boy genius with Sherlock Holmes-like powers of deduction, but then bomb squad-esque faeries take over the story and we end up spending just as much time, if not more, reading about them. That's fine since they're interesting and their story moves with a good dash of fun and excitement.

This is another of those books with a redeemable bad-guy protagonist. We shouldn't, but we do root for him, at least in some wa
Drew Nelson
May 13, 2008 Drew Nelson rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people on airplanes
Artemis Fowl, though entertaining and often well told, is one of those books that has bound itself with the shackles of pandering to a perceived audience and thus will never rise above a certain level. For example, the dwarf character defeats his enemies with the help of his terribly powerful flatulence more than once. The whole race tunnels with the power of poop. The main faerie character, Holly, is a girl trying to break her way through a glass ceiling that no one seems to notice throughout t ...more
Juan Valera
Jul 30, 2015 Juan Valera rated it really liked it
First and foremost, let it be said that I am reading a book intended for someone half my age. Artemis Fowl is the kind of book that grabs a kid by the eyeballs because of the pretty, shiny cover. But once the cover's open and the story laid out, Artemis Fowl is an incredibly gripping story about growing up, equality and acceptance. This was exactly the case when I first read Artemis Fowl; I immediately loved the intelligent, resourceful, but ultimately unhappy Artemis. A better character a ...more
Andrew
Oct 12, 2014 Andrew rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
We were on holiday, and the little cottage we were staying in had a huge range of books. Unfortunately most of the adult books were colossal monsters that there was no way I was going to read in a week. So instead I decided to see what modern kids books were like and picked up Artemis Fowl, a book aimed at boys of about 11 years of age.

The character of Artemis is 12, and a crime lord. Helped by his trusty bodyguard Butler he has discovered that fairies are real, and also really do have a pot of
Ahmad Sharabiani
Artemis Fowl (Artemis Fowl, #1)
عنوان: آرتمیس فاول و گروگان گیری - کتاب 1؛ نویسنده: یون (ایون) کالفر؛ مترجم: شیدا رنجبر؛ ویراستار: شهرام رجب زاده؛ تهران، افق، 1382؛ در 454 ص؛ کتاب نخست؛ چاپ سوم 1385؛ چاپ چهارم 1386؛ چاپ پنجم 1387؛ چاپ ششم 1389؛ چاپ هشتم 1391؛ چاپ نهم 1392؛ شابک: 9789643690847؛ موضوع: رمان نوجوانان از نویسندگان انگلیسی - قرن 21 م
عنوان: آرتمیس فاول - کتاب 1؛ نویسنده: یون (ایون) کالفر؛ مترجم: حسین قنبری؛ تهران، شریعه توس، 1385؛ کتاب نخست؛ شابک: 9648557020؛
Meridyforgot
May 14, 2009 Meridyforgot rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
To be honest I haven't read the whole book, and there is a slim chance that I might try to continue and so I post this review.

The problem is that the onslaught of cheap jabs at the "barbarian humans" destroying the earth is becoming extremely irritating. And miraculously Ireland is still nice and green, but give those humans a few hundred years and it will be destroyed. Please. It completely distracts from the story. Why do we have to spoon feed children dogmatic propaganda? Don't get me wrong.
Jonathan Peto
Oct 09, 2016 Jonathan Peto rated it liked it
If I had thought of this story, I would have told it, but I would have done quite a few things differently, if possible. In other words, I like the story itself: with his family's wealth dangerously on the wane, criminal mastermind and 12 year old boy, Artemis Fowl, formulates a bold plan to kidnap a fairy and seize a ransom of gold. But his is not the only point of view on either side of the incident. We hear from his loyal employee, Butler, as well as the fairies. This equal billing actually ...more
Heather
Sep 04, 2007 Heather rated it really liked it
I've seen these books in the stores for a while, but had actually steered clear of them because I thought they were just a Harry Potter knock off. The other day, I was in the kid section with Daniel while he was playing with the train table, and they caught my eye again. As they had the first 3 books in the series for $9.98, I decided to give them a try. Who am I to pass up a bargain?

Well, let me just say, it is not a Harry Potter knock off! Yes, it deals with sprites, dwarves, leprechauns, and
Maruf Hossain
Oct 25, 2016 Maruf Hossain rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
বয়স সবে ! কিনতু এরই মাঝে অপরাধ জগতের এক বিসময় ছেলেটা। হবে না-ই বা কেন? এটাই যে তার পরিবারের ঐতিহয। ফাউল পরিবার অপরাধ জগতের রুই-কাতলা পরিবার। কিনতু কালের বিবরতনে বিপুল সমপততির উললেখযোগয অংশ হারিয়ে বসেছে ফাউল পরিবার। সেই ফাউল পরিবারের সরবকনিষঠ সদসয আরটেমিস ফাউল এ বইয়ের পরদান চরিতর। বাবার অনতরধানের পর থেকে একাই পারিবারিক বিষয়আশয় সামলাচছে ছেলেটা। পরিবারের হৃত সমপততি আবার আগের মতো ফুলিয়ে ফাঁপিয়ে তুলতে চাইছে সে। আর সেজনয অবলমবন করবে একেবারে ভিনন এক পথ!

মানুষের অতযাচারে জরজরিত হয়ে এখন পাতালে বাস করে রূপ
Megan Baxter
Oct 31, 2014 Megan Baxter rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this more than I expected too, coming right on the heels of reading one of the Percy Jackson books, which are okay, but nothing special. (Sometimes the universe just throws books at me in clumps like that. Or, to be more precise, the London public library system.)

In the meantime, you can read the entire review at Smorgasbook
Ann
Apr 23, 2011 Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans for Rick Riordan and Neil Gaiman
So, interesting! I finally gave this a go after years of curiosity! I'd heard such mixed things about it that I finally had to discover for myself what I thought of it.

End result? I totally enjoyed it! It was one of the few books that I really wasn't sure how it was going to end! And the best/worst part is that I really wasn't sure how I *wanted* it to end. Was I happy/satisfied with the ending? Yes.

One of the main characters in this book is Artemis Fowl, a young boy (12) who's mature far beyond
Kathryn
Oct 27, 2011 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kathryn by: Ann
Well, hum. What an interesting book! I enjoyed it (enhanced, I think, by the audiobook/narrator) but I'm also a bit puzzled over it. First of all, I am surprised this is a book for children. Not that there is anything horrendous or that "adult" in it, but it just doesn't seem like a book for kids. Sure, Artemis is twelve, but a child protagonist does not a children's book make. The style doesn't seem particularly kid-friendly (lots of big vocabulary, lots of changing around between ...more
সালমান হক
So this was a book that was on my to read list for over two years and I had the hardcopy eying me from my book shelf and I kept ignoring it!!!! But I was doing a heinous job by just ignoring it!! What a fantastic journey it proved out to be?? Absolutely humorous and well-written. Preferable charecters and first paced.

First of all, I would like to start this review by stating that although this book is destined to children maybe half my age, I really do not care. I enjoyed this book so much. I'm
Stephen
Oct 12, 2014 Stephen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: percy jackson fans
Artemis Fowl, a nefarious 12 year old criminal mastermind, and scion of a wealthy and feared family, tangles with fairies in order to make the ultimate score but these aren't the fairies you heard about in the nursery. What results is a rollicking roller coaster adventure that owes more to Die Hard than to the Brothers Grimm. With a bit of attitude borrowed from the Percy Jackson school of myth re-invention.

As with any NY Times best seller aimed at the youth market, this book will be loved by so
Coby Hauser
Mar 12, 2008 Coby Hauser rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Nobody
Recommended to Coby by: Matt
I found this book rather lacking and unimaginative. The whole time while reading I couldn't help but think, "the author simply took the Harry Potter concept and tried to copy it with a few tweeks".

I didn't care for any of the characters. I never identified with any fo them, accordingly, I didn't care what happened to them.

The most annoying part was how pro-leftist this book was. I got tired of hearing how evil humans were. It starts off by 'The People' (just think of the name) calling humans M
Julie
Jan 15, 2016 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Embarrassingly, it turns out I had absolutely no idea what Artemis Fowl was about. My mind had somehow combined it with Eragon, the sound of Artemis' name making me think it was some sort of YA fantasy with dragons. Instead: our main character is a cunning twelve-year-old supervillain from a long-standing family of aristocratic criminals?? With a family of badass Eurasian bodyguards trained to kick ass and help the Fowls by any means necessary? oh my god WHY DID THE WORLD NOT TELL ME ABOUT THIS

George Jankovic
Aug 21, 2016 George Jankovic rated it it was amazing
This book is an interesting mix of fantasy and scifi. Hi-tech meets the fairies. I loved its world building especially all the lore on the fairies, their location, their rules and regulations etc.

Artemis a genius, but my favorite characters were Butler, his butler, and Captain Holy Short, a fairy who is his victim.

The book is a quick read. It will be hard to put it down even if you have to. :)
Aurora
Mar 14, 2016 Aurora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was exactly what I wanted it to be: fun, fast-paced and entertaining. It has an original and action-packed plot, compelling characters and very interesting world building. I flew through it and if I owned the rest of the books in this series there's a real chance I wouldn't be getting much else done today.
Paulo Ratz
Feb 28, 2016 Paulo Ratz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Releitura depois de muitos anos. Nunca deixa de ser delicioso. Quero tanto continuar e chegar finalmente até o final da série que comecei há mais de 10 anos atrás...
Madeleine Montuna
Dec 27, 2013 Madeleine Montuna rated it it was amazing
I love the Harry Potter series, so i often compare book to Harry Porter.. The book Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer has been on the shelves for years now but i never had the chance to pick it up. People often encouraged me to read it,often times referring to the books as the next Harry Potter . While they have some of the same fictional ,imaginative , well written storyline doesn't mean they should be compared. Just because a book might be as highly liked as Harry Potter doesn't mean they follow the ...more
Lightreads
About aforesaid twelve-year-old criminal mastermind and his attempts to restore the faltering Fowl fortunes by swindling fairies. When we begin, Artemis’s father is missing and his mother nearly insane. Artemis and his bodyguard, Butler, discover the existence of the technologically advanced fairy civilization hidden away in the core of the earth, and Artemis determines to capture an elf for ransom. He ends up with Holly Short, a fairy and LEPrecon (occupation, not species – Lower Elements ...more
A Book Vacation
Feb 25, 2012 A Book Vacation rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have heard amazing things about the Artemis Fowl Series for a very long time, but I haven’t picked up the series until now. My first impression? Well, Artemis is a genius, but his actions within the novel, kidnapping a faery, for one, put me off of him and I spent a lot of the novel really disliking him. However, the more I read, the more I realized he was just putting on a façade. Artemis is good at heart, though he’s committing multiple crimes, and I actually really liked him by the end.

I w
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
I thought this book was all right, but I didn't find anything special about it. I actually found Artemis to be a rather annoying character, and I didn't really have any sympathy for him. Besides, Artemis is the Greek goddess of feminism, so it seemed kind of strange as a boy's name.
Kimberley doruyter
Jun 07, 2016 Kimberley doruyter rated it liked it
much better then i thought it was going to be,
but there were no surprises in the plot.
i will see if i can get my hands on the next one.
Scribble Orca

Drat! Two books in one week where the star system leaves me severely miffed. It's not just two but neither does it deserve three.

Hmm.

I'll admit, I did go into this prejudiced, in both directions. Colfer had utterly failed to impress with his abysmal attempt at following in Douglas Adam's fabulous footsteps. But given that the Fowl series was brought to an end last year and the first in the series was a free giveaway, plus the amount of hysteria Fowl fans seem to generate in heaping accolades on
Madeline
Aug 28, 2009 Madeline rated it really liked it
Points for originality (mixing mythological creatures with computer shit?! Not kosher! shriek millions of wannabe-Tolkien fantasy writers), but after four more sequels I started to notice patterns. Artemis Fowl is a rich, socially challenged kid with big plans to take over the world (think The Big Bang Theory's Sheldon Cooper, only minus all humorous lines and general adorable-ness.) He makes dastardly plans involving technology. Tough Chick Cliche #987 enters, fucks up said plans. Day is saved ...more
Irene
Jul 29, 2015 Irene rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks, danish, 2015
I was just gonna check out the audiobook to see if I liked it or not. I ended up finishing it in just two days. Yay! I think I finally get audiobooks.

I knew next to nothing when I started it, I mean, I didn't even know that Artemis wasn't the hero of the story, but rather the villain. Imagine my surprise! He and his 'servant' Butler made for a very good and fun team and I just really liked Butler, he was just right up my ally.
Another character I really loved was Holly Short. I loved her right
Future Teachers, ...: Jones-Review 7 1 2 Nov 18, 2016 11:02PM
Artemis Fowl, an ...: Artemis Fowl, your first impression 9 5 Aug 13, 2016 08:15AM
Around the Year i...: Artemis Fowl, by Eoin Colfer 13 47 Jul 25, 2016 04:00PM
Artemis and holly together 34 237 Jun 18, 2016 07:11PM
  • The Never War (Pendragon, #3)
  • Ptolemy's Gate (Bartimaeus, #3)
  • Deep Wizardry (Young Wizards, #2)
  • Ruler of the Realm (The Faerie Wars Chronicles, #3)
  • The Lives of Christopher Chant (Chrestomanci, #2)
  • Searching for Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #2)
  • The Cobra King of Kathmandu (Children of the Lamp, #3)
  • The Search for the Red Dragon (The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, #2)
  • Under the Jolly Roger: Being an Account of the Further Nautical Adventures of Jacky Faber (Bloody Jack, #3)
  • Street Magic (The Circle Opens, #2)
  • Drowned Wednesday (The Keys to the Kingdom, #3)
  • Fly by Night (Fly by Night, #1)
  • The Seven Songs (Merlin Saga, #2)
Eoin Colfer (pronounced Owen) was born in Wexford on the South-East coast of Ireland in 1965, where he and his four brothers were brought up by his father and mother, who were both educators.

He received his degree from Dublin University and began teaching primary school in Wexford. He has lived and worked all over the world, including Saudi Arabia, Tunisia and Italy. After the publication of the A
More about Eoin Colfer...

Artemis Fowl (8 books)
  • The Arctic Incident (Artemis Fowl, #2)
  • The Eternity Code (Artemis Fowl, #3)
  • The Opal Deception  (Artemis Fowl, #4)
  • The Lost Colony (Artemis Fowl, #5)
  • The Time Paradox (Artemis Fowl, #6)
  • The Atlantis Complex (Artemis Fowl, #7)
  • The Last Guardian (Artemis Fowl, #8)

61 trivia questions
13 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“Confidence is ignorance. If you're feeling cocky, it's because there's something you don't know.” 2805 likes
“It's like learning to ride a unicorn. You never forget.” 1929 likes