Lucia Triumphant

Lucia Triumphant (Lucia #8)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  10 reviews
In postwar Britain, the quaint town of Tilling is feeling the pull of both the modern world and its Norman past. Elizabeth Mapp-Flint, in yet another bid to wrest power back from her social rival Lucia Pillson-now the town's mayor-purchases a motor-car. Hoping to improve her shaky motoring skills in private, she makes a significant tactical error by leaving town. Lucia pro...more
Audio Cassette, Unabridged
Published April 1st 2003 by Isis (first published August 21st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Lucia Triumphant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lucia Triumphant

Eloy
When this novel appeared, the Irish Times concluded its review with this remark: "Well done, Tom Holt". I would add an adverb: "[Exceedingly] well done, Tom Holt". Quite a triumphant experiment.
Isabel
another author who has captured the style and language of e.f. benson almost exactly. this is a 'must read' for those of readers who feel they can never get enough of mapp, lucia and all the other residents of tilling.
once again, though, an author with too many references to incidents in the e.f. benson books....although, i suppose if you haven't read the originals, that wouldn't matter. loved the book.
Jennifer Wilbanks
My favorite of all the Lucia books. I think Tom Holt might have done Lucia and Mrs. Mapp-Flint better than Benson!
Catherine Treadgold
Lucia in Wartime and Lucia Triumphant are Tom Holt's sequels to E.F. Benson's Lucia and Mapp series. This book takes place in Postwar Britain and cleverly parodies the craze for monopoly, the importance of ancestry in small-town England, and the power struggles among gentile society with too much time on its hands. My small press brought these two books back into print, and for me, it was a labor of love. I hope a whole new generation discovers the E.F. Benson books and Tom's ingenious sequels.
Spencer
Thoroughly enjoyed this last book in the Mapp and Lucia series. Holt is true to Benson's style and maintains the characters of the players very well. The world of Mapp and Lucia is "Never Never Land" where no-one ever ages, and some even grow younger, even though we move through time. All the books are wickedly funny, with one surprising twist after another.
James
Reviving Benson's characters was a nice idea, but unfortunately, Tom Holt is no E. F. Benson. He gets many details that were established in the original series wrong, and sadly, his books are just not as cleverly written. Still, if you've read Benson's 6 original novels, and can locate the 2 Holt wrote, give them a read just to satisfy your curiosity.
B
A contintuation of E.F. Benson's Lucia novels, (the funny series about 2 women battling for top social status in their small British town), I was happy to see that Tom Holt was able to capture the tone and ridiculousness of E.F Benson's characters.
Rick
This is not exactly a seamless segue from the original Benson novels, but it's are a fun enough addition
Becky
I love this series of books. VERY funny!
Tatiana Gonzalez
I love everything Lucia & Mapp
Chris Millington
Chris Millington marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Carmen
Carmen marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Fee Lord
Fee Lord marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Mark Hardcastle
Mark Hardcastle marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Tom Holt (Thomas Charles Louis Holt; born September 13, 1961) is a British novelist.
He was born in London, the son of novelist Hazel Holt, and was educated at Westminster School, Wadham College, Oxford, and The College of Law, London.
Holt's works include mythopoeic novels which parody or take as their theme various aspects of mythology, history or literature and develop them in new and often humor...more
More about Tom Holt...
The Portable Door Expecting Someone Taller You Don't Have to Be Evil to Work Here, But it Helps In Your Dreams Earth, Air, Fire and Custard