Virus Hunter: Thirty Years of Battling Hot Viruses Around the World

Virus Hunter: Thirty Years of Battling Hot Viruses Around the World

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  1,260 ratings  ·  41 reviews
The commander of the Army virology unit that battled Ebola in The Hot Zone--and current director of Special Pathogens at the CDC--teams up with the bestselling co-author of Mind Hunter to chronicle his extraordinary thirty-year career fighting deadly viruses.

Currently the head of Special Pathogens at the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta, C. J. Peters has been on the...more
Published April 13th 1998 by Anchor (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Virus Hunter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Virus Hunter

Allison
It was books like this that made me want to be an epidemiologist at one point in my life. And then I realized that I hated studying science.

This book falls in the same line as The Hot Zone, but it is far more clinical than Preston's style. Peters has a long, and interesting history in the field of virology and epidemiology. He gives a very personalized version of major outbreaks over the course of a few decades. It shows his advancement as a doctor and a researcher while also giving the reader a...more
Kenzie
I Finally finished this book. It is certainly not for everyone - there were times when I didn't want to put it down, and also times where I opted to pick up and start another book instead. So it is a book that you need to want to finish.

That said, it is an interesting overview of the world of viruses, as told by C.J. Peters who has vast experience with a number of viruses. Hearing the stories of attempting to identify outbreaks, determine whether or not the virus is new or one that has been seen...more
Betsy Curlin
This book is a good account of what it's like working for the CDC and chasing after viral outbreaks around the world. It can be a bit tiresome to read at time, because there is a lot of prose, but if you can stick it out, you will learn a lot about the field experiences that come with this type of work, as well as the hazards of being exposed to deadly viruses. I just wished he had left out more of the stuff about his personal life, and stuck to his professional life.
Peters has lead quite the life, travelling around the world chasing viruses. I was really in it for the microbiological/scientific/medical aspect and, at first, was a little concerned about how much personal, straight autobiography there was. As I moved along, though, I found that to be an important part of the book. Reading about his life really gives the reader a great sense of how all-encompasing this particular type of work is. Most people's jobs effect their life, but not always to this gre...more
Brian
Excellent treatise on viruses and the worst-case scenarios that could very well happen.
David Barton
a good read. somewhat informative but nothing particularly special.
Jaimie
This book offers good and interesting insight into the world of biotechnology, virology, and the life of a virus hunter. It's more informational that conversational but still an interesting story. I recommend that someone read the Dark Biology series by Richard Preston first to take their first steps into this genre and if still interested, then read this book for additional interesting information. I have read it multiple times and I still enjoy it. This genre is a favorite of mine.
Amy
Mar 01, 2011 Amy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Amy by: School Library
I won't try to describe all the stuff this guy did, but it's fascinating to hear about all the different viruses he's dealt with.

There's a lot of complex concepts in here, but it's worth trying to figure out.

The only thing I don't like about him is that his first two marriages ended in divorce. Well, I don't think he liked that either, though, so I won't go on about it.

C.J. Peters is one heck of an epidemiologist.
Karen
While at first I was a little put off by the very personal focus of this book (I picked it up expecting something more science and less memoir), I nevertheless found it very engaging and interesting once I realized that my preconceptions were off. CJ Peters' career and the viruses and other pathogens he's studied are both dangerous and fascinating. This book is a fun, fast read.
Violet_violence
Oct 04, 2007 Violet_violence rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in science
I just recently finished this book. It was a bit boring at times and very intense at other times. I found it much more interesting to read about the deadlier diseases than the "dull" ones. Go figure. I'm morbid. Anyway, I love epidemiology and virology, so this book was definitely good, but somewhat slow at times.
Kelly
Part autobiography, part medical thriller, this chronicles the career of C.J. Peters, virus hunter. It was an interesting read, and I liked reading about the Reston Ebola outbreak from his point of view, as well as learning about other horrific diseases around the world.
Carolina
Interesting book about work at CDC and the most sexy stories of being an epidemiologist. I got it when I was just starting my career in this field and was like a dream, I even got my copy autographed by CJ Peters. Unfortunately I got bored and could never finish it
SherryJo
Oct 06, 2010 SherryJo rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People interested in true scientific stories
Learn about epidemics from the point of view of those fighting to control the outbreaks. If you love true scientific stories then this is the story for you but if medical books are you then dont read it.

It turned out to be to detailed for the average joe.
Barbara
Finally finished I just couldn't get through the last chapter not that it wasn't interesting or that it wasn't scary. I found this book realistically disturbing if any virus ever hits at the right place at the right time we are probably finished.
David Henry
The man had a pretty interesting career, but I was not a big fan of the writing style or commentary. He definitely came off as a twat the way he spoke of his 2nd - or was it 3rd? - wife. No respect for the neglectful family man.
Veronika
Why have I had a thirteen-year long obsession with the Ebola virus? I do not know -- there are many mysteries to life. But my alter-ego is a virus hunter, and this would be my memoir. Fighting crime and viruses wherever I go.
Terri
Jun 16, 2012 Terri added it
I thought this book was really interesting and I'm glad I read it. It is loaded with details and procedures, so you will only enjoy this if you are into the scientific details.
Heather
Very good read! If you like viruses and Epidemiology, then you could very well like this book! I enjoyed the information within and the stories as well. Great read!
Melanie Peapell
I love this book and have read it over and over. I enjoy the reality of being a virus hunter. The effect it has on people around you. Plus a good scientific read.
Pancha
This was great. It had some memoir aspects, but not to the point that they eclipsed the exploration of hot zones, virus hunting, and lab safety procedures.
Josh Carver-brown
C.J. Peters sets before the reader the scary but realistic possibility of epidemics through telling his own storied work in hunting viruses.
Molly
Well-written factual book about a CDC virus hunter. Peters infuses his biography with realism and enough humor to balance out the boils and sores.
jess
An interesting book, as I find all books on the topic intriguing, but there are others that I have found far more riveting.
Beka
On the whole, some interesting information from someone who's spent a lot of time working with deadly viruses.
Jeff
Very well written first-hand account of tracking down the most deadly viruses on earth. Fascinating.
Joanna
Apr 04, 2008 Joanna marked it as to-read
This is one of the virus hunters featured in a couple of Richard Preston's books.
Andrea
Dec 03, 2007 Andrea rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: reread
I've always been fascinated by CJ Peters, and this book was co-authored by Mark Olshaker.

Katie
I met this guy when I worked at UTMB. He's so awesome! Sort of a "god" in my field.
Ann M
Too much autobiography, not enough information about viruses. Not too bad, though.
Allison Thomas
a little dry at parts, knowledge already known by someone in our profession.
  • Level 4: Virus Hunters of the CDC
  • Virus X: Tracking the New Killer Plagues
  • Biohazard: The Chilling True Story of the Largest Covert Biological Weapons Program in the World--Told from the Inside by the Man Who Ran It
  • Killer Germs: Microbes and Diseases That Threaten Humanity
  • Beating Back the Devil: On the Front Lines with the Disease Detectives of the Epidemic Intelligence Service
  • Ebola
  • Lab 257: The Disturbing Story of the Government's Secret Germ Laboratory
  • Panic in Level 4: Cannibals, Killer Viruses, and Other Journeys to the Edge of Science
  • Deadly Feasts: Tracking the Secrets of a Terrifying New Plague
  • Good Germs, Bad Germs: Health and Survival in a Bacterial World
  • The Coming Plague: Newly Emerging Diseases in a World Out of Balance
  • The Medical Detectives
  • The Woman with a Worm in Her Head: And Other True Stories of Infectious Disease
  • The Speckled Monster
  • Vaccinated: One Man's Quest to Defeat the World's Deadliest Diseases
  • Microbe Hunters
  • The Demon Under the Microscope: From Battlefield Hospitals to Nazi Labs, One Doctor's Heroic Search for the World's First Miracle Drug
  • The Strange Case of the Broad Street Pump: John Snow and the Mystery of Cholera
Infectious Diseases from Nature: Mechanisms of Viral Emergence and Persistence Clinical Simulations: The Right Way! the Complete Guide for Respiratory Care Providers Equations Of State For Fluids And Fluid Mixtures Equations of State for Fluids and Fluid Mixtures Equations of State for Fluids and Fluid Mixtures Part 1. Experimental Thermodynamics, Volume 5.

“It's easier to reach for the stars when you stand on the shoulders of giants.” 2 likes