Start by marking “Veil of Fire” as Want to Read:
Veil of Fire

Veil of Fire

In 1894, the worst firestorm in Minnesota history descended on the town of Hinckley, consuming 400 square miles and killing 418 people in just four hours.

Heat, flame, and darkness swept through the town, devouring lives, and consuming all hope. In the aftermath of the fire, the town of Hinckley rises from the ashes, its people determined to rebuild their lives.

But in the s
Published January 1st 2010 by David C. Cook (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Veil of Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Veil of Fire

Kelly
Feb 27, 2015 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought it was an interesting story about karma and the lessons that can be learned from tribulations. Sometimes it was difficult to follow which character was speaking but the plot held together and played out perfectly.
Ramona Voight
Feb 28, 2015 Ramona Voight rated it it was amazing
Incredible story makes history come alive. A page-turner that required me to read it all in one day, this book kept me guessing, and the ending was not at all what I expected. When I was finished I had to go research the history of the Hinckley fire. Though I have visited the museum and live close by, I will now go back and see it with new eyes. A well-written story from a fantastic author.
Joy
Mar 09, 2015 Joy rated it really liked it
Sharon
Mar 08, 2015 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A freebie book from Bookshout; ended up being something that would have definitely been worth purchasing and was a great introduction to this author. Based on a true historic event, The Great Hinckley Fire of 1894, this work of fiction takes the reader through the horror of that experience from the perspective of characters who might have lived it, all the while building a back-story that is filled with mystery, love, and spiritual awakening. I loved that the identity of the "monster" was not so ...more
Elaine
Apr 04, 2009 Elaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
KINDLE EDITION

This book is replete with suspense. Very difficult to put down. I tell myself I will stop reading after "this" chapter and get to the end of it and continue onto the next.

In chapters one and two, a wild fire is burning out of control, bringing destruction. Claiming lives. A daughter loses her mother. A man witnesses a burning wagon as it runs over his wife as she urges him to leave - to save their 6-month old daughter. Further chapters deal with the aftermath and rebuilding after s
Todd Greene
Feb 12, 2008 Todd Greene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adults, teens
In 1894 a fire broke out in the town of Hinckley, Minnesota. Four hours later 400 square miles were torched. Four hundred eighteen lives were lost. Out of the ashes the townspeople rebuilt and rose again like the Phoenix of mythology. And a myth began to grow among the survivors. There was one in the hills watching, observing. Friend or foe? No one knew. To this day no one knows who the hermit in the hills around Hinckley was. Speculations abound still.

I met Marlo Schalesky through Shoutlife. In
Michelle
Veil of Fire is a fascinating story based on an actual historical event--the worst fire in Minnesota's history--a fire that burned 400 square miles and killed 418 people in just four hours. The story begins with non-stop action as a hellish blaze consumes everything in sight. The reader is placed in the middle of the maelstrom as the events unfold, and it's an awesome and terrifying experience.

The potential for evil in the hearts of men really comes out in this story, as does a theme of regret.
Kate Joekel
Aug 14, 2015 Kate Joekel rated it it was amazing
Deeply moving

This book tells many stories on many levels. The story of a fire that destroys a town in a western settlement; a story or loss and one of fear, another of deceit.
But most of all it is a story of people and how they come to know God when bad things happen. A story of how truth will come out and how it does set us free.
I recommend this thoughtful, exciting and emotional book to anyone who has endured 'the fire's in their own lives and asked God 'Why'?
Leola
Feb 21, 2015 Leola rated it it was amazing
Gripping!

Powerful human emotions were displayed throughout this book. I finished it in a day because I just had to know what happened next. The "ghost" was my favorite character; who tugged at my heart throughout the book. Excellently written.
Beverly Anne
Feb 19, 2015 Beverly Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
I loved this book, I couldn't put it down! Keep the kleenex box near, you will need it. Based on a real disaster, a fictional story of profound loss, a heart-wrenching mystery, a hateful villain, a love story, a test of faith...this book has it all.
The Gatekeeper
Mar 17, 2009 The Gatekeeper rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any teenager or adult, especially Minnesotans :)
Recommended to The Gatekeeper by: my mom
I decided to read this book, partly because my mom recommended it, and partly because it's about the Hinckley fire, which happened in Minnesota. I grew up in Minnesota and I've been to the Hinckley Fire Museum near the place where my church used to camp out every summer. So that made it especially interesting for me. It's also a good story, though, with interesting characters and an intriguing mystery. Since fire is one of my biggest fears, the first few chapters were a little disturbing to me, ...more
Rhonda Ritchie-Warren
3.7. The fictional story is based on an actual fire that devoured the town of Hinkley and most of the people in the 1800's and the rebuilding process of the survivors.
Leanne
Jan 07, 2014 Leanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the story. Partly because I live in Minnesota and drive through Hinckley, where the story takes place, every time we go to Duluth or the North Shore. I had heard about the fire but never really knew the impact it made on the community. This is a fictional account but based on stories handed down from the author's husband's family. I had a trouble getting into it at the beginning with all the short sentences, but the story-line was good.
Renee
Jun 07, 2010 Renee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I just couldn't get interested in this one so I gave up on it
Gretchen
Oct 14, 2009 Gretchen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great start to the book. Interesting plot and characters.
Valerie Teeling
Exquisite book!---the theme...the truth will set you free.
Maid4life
Jul 23, 2008 Maid4life rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book!
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Mary Goodwin
Mary Goodwin marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Paul Steele
Paul Steele rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2016
Jackie Paine
Jackie Paine marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Shirley Gauldin
Shirley Gauldin rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2016
Frank
Frank marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Jessica White
Jessica White marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Robyn
Robyn marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Blair
Blair marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Renovating Becky Miller (Becky Miller #2)
  • Gabriel's Atonement (Land Rush Dreams #1)
  • Fatal Loyalty
  • Color the Sidewalk for Me (Bradleyville Series, #2)
  • Baby, It's Cold Outside
  • Words
  • Scared (On the Edge of the World #1)
  • When Night Comes
  • The Amethyst Heart
  • Informed Consent
  • Mercy's Rain
  • Petra: City of Stone
  • Jaded (Mended Hearts #1)
  • Springtime of the Spirit (The Great War, #3)
  • Jack Staples and the Ring of Time (Jack Staples #1)
  • First Dawn (Freedom's Path #1)
  • Wings of Refuge
  • Highland Sanctuary (Highlands #2)
Marlo Schalesky is the award winning author of six books, including her latest novel BEYOND THE NIGHT, which combines a love story with a surprise ending twist to create a new type of story. She has also had over 600 articles published in various magazines, had her work included in compilations such as Dr. Dobsons Night Light Devotional for Couples, and is a regular columnist for Power for Living. ...more
More about Marlo Schalesky...