Start by marking “Living Sacrifice: Willing to Be Whittled as an Arrow” as Want to Read:
Living Sacrifice: Willing to Be Whittled as an Arrow

Living Sacrifice: Willing to Be Whittled as an Arrow

4.62 of 5 stars 4.62  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  13 reviews
What place does 'sacrifice' have in the modern world? The Bible says it is central - and that sacrifice is not only a vital key to the future, it is the essence of a Christian's life, today. Helen Roseveare skilfully weaves stories of sacrifice together with Christian teaching on the subject to show you how sacrifice is the key to joy.
Published November 20th 2007 by Christian Focus Publications (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Living Sacrifice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living Sacrifice

Sheila Gardner
Outstanding. Highly recommend.
Dr. Roseveare is transparent and vulnerable in her writing as she shares stories of her own struggles to love God with all of her heart, soul, mind & strength. She is an engaging storyteller; the poignant pages a delightful read. I especially enjoyed considering how our Father made known things not yet surrendered in Helen, connecting the every day dots of life with the truth of His Word, exhortations of fellow believers, and the woo of His own voice. I walk awa
Georgia Herod
Living Sacrifice may seem like an oxymoron to many, but Christ calls us to "present our bodies (minds, souls, and spirits as well) as living sacrifices"--and Helen Roseveare learned how to live with that commitment on a daily basis as she served as medical missionary to the Congo 1953-1973. This is not for the surface reader, thinker, Christian. Roseveare confronted self over and over again, longing to be completely sold out in her obedience to Christ. She was captured, brutally beaten, raped--c ...more
This is part of the Living series by Helen Roseveare, with this one emphasizing on being a living sacrifice to God. Helen used stories from her missionary experience and explained what giving our Lord all of our heart, soul, mind, and strength means. It really challenges my faith as I read about her humbleness to accept the blame and apologize, how she learned from her sins, her radical obedience to give up everything in order to know Christ better, how she responds to people, etc. I also enjoye ...more
Karen L.
Oct 01, 2008 Karen L. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Karen L. by: my husband
This is a beautifully written book. It tells the story of the life of being a living Sacrifice that Helen Roseveare has learned,both on and off the mission field. She was a missionary doctor and surgeon to the Congo from 1953-1973.

This story reminded of the sacrificial life of Christ and how we can offer our lives as living sacrifices to unto God. I could relate to some of her struggles and fears in choosing to go to the mission field. My husband and I served as missionaries with YWAM for 4&
Hope
This series should be required reading for every Christian. It is unfortunate that someone came along and added silly subtitles to each book. These are serious books for serious believers who will be challenged to give their all to Christ.
Christy Fitzwater
I'm giving this book a five, not because she rates up there with Dickens in beauty of speech but because her Christian journey is so challenging to my own. This isn't the kind of book you read if you want to be cozy. It's a book for people who want to live right to the edge of God's will for their lives.
Lisa Jacobson
You wouldn't think that you could pack in so many powerful and convicting truths in one small volume! And while this might not be an overly eloquent work of literature, the raw honesty and beautiful words of a live given over to Christ is what made it a five-star book for me. It's one that I will want to read and re-read again over the years.
Taylor Irby
Jul 28, 2015 Taylor Irby rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Taylor by: Nicole Fetner
This was excellent, thank you Nicole!
Susanna Fraser
Honest. Challenging.
Judith
May 29, 2008 Judith marked it as to-read
Having read Give Me a Mountain and He Gave Us A Valley, I know that what she writes is not fluff, and comes out of the crucible of suffering for her Savior.

The other titles in this series grabbed my attention as well.

Living Faith: Willing to be stirred as a pot of paint

Living Holiness: Willing to be the Legs of a Galloping Horse

Living Fellowship: Willing to be the Third side of the triangle
Tina
This is a great opportunity to look into the life of 20 years of service to God in Africa. Incredibly personal and convicting and filled with Biblical direction. A wonderful challenge to modern missionaries--whether your misison field is at home or abroad.
Beth Kopp
Very convicting book. Enjoyed reading her personal stories of God teaching her and growing her. Really impacted my walk with the Lord at the time I read it!
Kate Kj
A must read for anyone struggling with where God wants them. It deeply encouraged me.
Rykiel
Rykiel marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Julie Doster
Julie Doster is currently reading it
Jul 16, 2015
Susan
Susan is currently reading it
Jul 16, 2015
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Faith
Faith marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Nancy
Nancy added it
May 07, 2015
Jessica Fulk
Jessica Fulk marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Amy
Amy added it
Mar 30, 2015
Prarthini
Prarthini marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Dr. Helen Roseveare was born in Hailebury, Herts, England in 1925. She became a Christian as a medical student in Cambridge University in 1945. She continued to have strong links with the Cambridge Inter-Collegiate Christian Union and was designated as the "CICCU missionary" during the 1950s and 1960s. She built a combination hospital/ training center in Ibambi in the early 1950s, then relocated t ...more
More about Helen Roseveare...
Give Me This Mountain He Gave Us a Valley Enough Living Holiness Living Faith

“To be a living sacrifice will involve all my time. God wants me to live every minute for Him in accordance with His will and purpose, sixty minutes of every hour, twenty-four hours of every day, being available to Him. No time can be considered as my own, or as "off-duty" or "free." I cannot barter with God about how much time I can give to serve Him. Whatever I am doing, be it a routine salaried job, or housework at home, be it holiday time and free, or after-work Christian youth activities, all should be undertaken for Him, to reveal His indwelling presence to those around me. The example of my life must be as telling as my preaching if He is to be honored.” 6 likes
“To love the Lord my God with all my soul will involve a spiritual cost. I'll have to give Him my heart, and let Him love through it whom and how He wills, even if this seems at times to break my heart.
To love the Lord my God with all my soul will involve a volitional and emotional cost. I'll have to give Him my will, my rights to decide and choose, and all my relationships, for Him to guide and control, even when I cannot understand His reasoning.
To love the Lord my God with all my mind will involve an intellectual cost. I must give Him my mind, my intelligence, my reasoning powers, and trust Him to work through them, even when He may appear to act in contradiction to common sense.
To love the Lord my God with all my strength will involve a physical cost. I must give Him my body to indwell, and through which to speak, whether He chooses health or sickness, by strength or weakness, and trust Him utterly with the outcome.”
5 likes