Treasures in the Dust

Treasures in the Dust

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Annie May Weightman and Violet Cobble are best friends and neighbors. They live in Cimarron County, Oklahoma, during the Great Depression. This is their story, told in two voices. Annie is happiest on the ground, sifting through the dust for traces of the past. But Violet is a dreamer always playing make believe to escape, to fly away from the dusty land. In this beautiful...more
Published August 23rd 1997 by HarperCollins (first published 1997)

Miss Amanda
gr 4-8 148pgs

late 1930s Cimarron County, Oklahoma. Annie Weightman loves sifting through the dust to see what she can find: Comanche arrow heads and other "treasures". Violet Cobble has big dreams of being a tap dancing star and is always telling and acting out stories. Despite the girls differences, they are best friends and can't imagine being a part. But as the Dust Bowl worsens life becomes harder for everyone especially for Violet's family. Will Violet have to leave Cimarron County?

Told in...more
Marcia
Historical fiction. Subjects: Depression, 1929; dust storms; Oklahoma. Delightful story of two 11-year-old girls, Annie and Violet, growing up between the summers of 1937 and 1938 in Cimarron County Oklahoma. Each chapter alternates between each girl in a diary format. The story tells of how Violet and her family must leave their farm in Oklahoma. They are forced to travel west to find work in order to survive and save their farm in Oklahoma. Author Tracey Porter traveled to Cimarron County Okla...more
Caryn
My daughter and I read this book together when she was in the 3rd or 4th grade-- she is now 23. The story is told from the voices of two girls, Anne & Violet. I read all of Anne's entries and my daughter read the voice of Violet. It was a wonderful way to read and enjoy this wonderful journey into the Dust Bowl / Great Depression Era together. I loved the book and the experience.
LeeAnn
This is a slower-paced book that tells the story of the Oklahoma dust bowl from the perspective of two girls, writing letters as the one family leaves to find work in California. We read it as part of a homeschool reading group, but I didn't think it was good for the audience. I would probably save this for girls in their early teens, not boys.
Faith
A perfect book to read in the comfort of your own backyard on a hot, summer day. Reading of the dry, dusty plains of Oklahoma during the Great Depression make you thankful for even the smallest slices of shade, while reminding you that treasure can be found everywhere— even in your own backyard.
Krista Stevens
Set in the Great Depression in Oklahoma, Annie May and Violet, best friends, alternate chapters writing about life from their point of view. Violet's family decides to travel to CA to try and find work. Many historical references. Easy read. Great characters.
Lindsay
The merit of this book is really only in its history lesson, but that is precisely what I liked about it. I will hand this to my kids when they are older, or better yet read it with them.
Carolyn
A really good book that I read aloud with my 10 year old.
Christine
Suggested by my 7 year old.
Cws
Feb 19, 2009 Cws added it
Shelves: jar-fiction
JAR5-Por
Nicole Kline
Nicole Kline marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Kaylie
Kaylie added it
Apr 04, 2014
Mo
Mo added it
Mar 20, 2014
StoryStereo
StoryStereo marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Carilu
Carilu marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2014
Mr.
Mr. added it
Jan 06, 2014
Mr.
Mr. added it
Jan 06, 2014
Anastasia Ivany
Anastasia Ivany marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2013
Christina Dawn
Christina Dawn marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2013
Bonnie
Bonnie marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2013
Ayaat Zeidan
Ayaat Zeidan marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2013
Kristine Pratt
Kristine Pratt marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2013
Joyell Gutshall
Joyell Gutshall marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2013
Silvia
Silvia added it
Jul 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Tracey Porter is the author of Treasures in the Dust and A Dance of Sisters. Her most recent novel, Billy Creekmore, was named to Oprah.com's Kids' Reading List, compiled by the American Library Association. For the past twenty years she has taught middle school at Crossroads School in Santa Monica, California. She lives with her family in Los Angeles.
More about Tracey Porter...
Lark Billy Creekmore A Dance of Sisters