Start by marking “Treasures in the Dust” as Want to Read:
Treasures in the Dust

Treasures in the Dust

Annie May Weightman and Violet Cobble are best friends and neighbors. They live in Cimarron County, Oklahoma, during the Great Depression. In this beautifully crafted first novel, each girl tells her own story; each girl copes with hardship in a different way. Annie is happiest on the ground, sifting through the dust for traces of the past. But Violet is a dreamer -- alway ...more
Published August 23rd 1997 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Treasures in the Dust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Treasures in the Dust

Maria H.
Jan 10, 2015 Maria H. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
***3.5***

Wow. I'm usually not a fan of historical fiction set in the great plains region. Its kind of boring to me. Nonetheless, this book set in the dust bowl in 1930s Oklahoma was a surprise. The first third if this book was boring, but after that I had a higher respect of this story.

Things I disliked:
Like I said, the first third was really slow. Once it picked up, it was fine. Maybe it was just me, but I really didn't see the point of Aunt Miracle in the story. I really liked her, but I don'
Miss Amanda
gr 4-8 148pgs

late 1930s Cimarron County, Oklahoma. Annie Weightman loves sifting through the dust to see what she can find: Comanche arrow heads and other "treasures". Violet Cobble has big dreams of being a tap dancing star and is always telling and acting out stories. Despite the girls differences, they are best friends and can't imagine being a part. But as the Dust Bowl worsens life becomes harder for everyone especially for Violet's family. Will Violet have to leave Cimarron County?

Told in
Marcia
Mar 02, 2009 Marcia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Historical fiction. Subjects: Depression, 1929; dust storms; Oklahoma. Delightful story of two 11-year-old girls, Annie and Violet, growing up between the summers of 1937 and 1938 in Cimarron County Oklahoma. Each chapter alternates between each girl in a diary format. The story tells of how Violet and her family must leave their farm in Oklahoma. They are forced to travel west to find work in order to survive and save their farm in Oklahoma. Author Tracey Porter traveled to Cimarron County Okla ...more
LeeAnn
Feb 14, 2009 LeeAnn rated it it was ok
This is a slower-paced book that tells the story of the Oklahoma dust bowl from the perspective of two girls, writing letters as the one family leaves to find work in California. We read it as part of a homeschool reading group, but I didn't think it was good for the audience. I would probably save this for girls in their early teens, not boys.
Caryn
Oct 23, 2012 Caryn rated it it was amazing
My daughter and I read this book together when she was in the 3rd or 4th grade-- she is now 23. The story is told from the voices of two girls, Anne & Violet. I read all of Anne's entries and my daughter read the voice of Violet. It was a wonderful way to read and enjoy this wonderful journey into the Dust Bowl / Great Depression Era together. I loved the book and the experience.
Faith
Jul 03, 2013 Faith rated it really liked it
A perfect book to read in the comfort of your own backyard on a hot, summer day. Reading of the dry, dusty plains of Oklahoma during the Great Depression make you thankful for even the smallest slices of shade, while reminding you that treasure can be found everywhere— even in your own backyard.
Krista Stevens
Set in the Great Depression in Oklahoma, Annie May and Violet, best friends, alternate chapters writing about life from their point of view. Violet's family decides to travel to CA to try and find work. Many historical references. Easy read. Great characters.
Nancy
Jul 23, 2016 Nancy rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
Hard times in Oklahoma during the depression brings out the sacrifice and strength of those who live to survive amidst heartache.
Chris
Feb 24, 2016 Chris rated it really liked it
While this book was a little slow at times, the storyline was set during the 30's dust bowl, was enlightening. I would recommend this book for ages 9+.
Lindsay
Mar 27, 2009 Lindsay rated it really liked it
The merit of this book is really only in its history lesson, but that is precisely what I liked about it. I will hand this to my kids when they are older, or better yet read it with them.
Thaison
Thaison rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2015
Rukhshona Toilbova
Jan 03, 2016 Rukhshona Toilbova is currently reading it
plzz help mer got to writ
Markel
Markel rated it did not like it
Jul 27, 2015
Denise
Denise rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2015
Edward Sullivan
Edward Sullivan rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2011
kim wmythirsty
kim wmythirsty rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2011
Carolyn
Mar 21, 2011 Carolyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
A really good book that I read aloud with my 10 year old.
Dawn cline
Dawn cline rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2012
Nicole
Nicole rated it liked it
May 17, 2008
Eunice
Eunice rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2010
Kristin
Kristin rated it it was ok
Jul 06, 2009
Olivia Padilla
Olivia Padilla rated it did not like it
Jun 13, 2014
Madelyne
Madelyne rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2012
Amy Lafleur
Amy Lafleur rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2016
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2016
Jori Richardson
Jori Richardson rated it it was ok
Nov 30, 2012
Kristin
Kristin rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2012
Madelyn
Madelyn rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2009
Deborah
Deborah rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2011
Mo
Mo rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Tracey Porter is the author of Treasures in the Dust and A Dance of Sisters. Her most recent novel, Billy Creekmore, was named to Oprah.com's Kids' Reading List, compiled by the American Library Association. For the past twenty years she has taught middle school at Crossroads School in Santa Monica, California. She lives with her family in Los Angeles.
More about Tracey Porter...