Start by marking “Voices from the Dust: New Insights into Ancient America a Comparative Evaluation of Early Spanish and Portuguese Chronicles, Archaeology and Art History, the Book of Mormon” as Want to Read:

Book by Calderwood, David G.
Published January 1st 2005 by Historical Publications

To ask other readers questions about Voices from the Dust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Voices from the Dust

Matt
Jul 01, 2009 Matt rated it really liked it
Pretty good book. The writing was organized by topics and then for each topic a run down of the corresponding Book of Mormon passages juxtaposed against early Spanish chronicle writers and some archaeological evidence. The main drawback of this organization is that some of the evidences get repeated. The two main cultures focused on are the Mexican and Yucatan natives and the Chavin civilization of ancient Peru.

One thing that wasn't very clear was how the author felt about which of the two geog
Elizabethryancey
Oct 07, 2011 Elizabethryancey rated it did not like it
Ok, I have been trying to finish this book for several months now, but I cannot. It is so dry. So very very boring. I like his initial idea, but the execution leaves something to be desired. It is this guy's thesis, and it reads exactly like that. There are lots of typos, and poorly arranged sentences. So, I am sorry Mr. Calderwood, but I cannot finish reading this. Which makes me kind of sad because there was such potential.
Emmy
May 04, 2009 Emmy rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, churchy
We went into a bookstore next to the Dallas temple and the author was there for a book signing. He enthusiastically told us about his life and research and the book. As this was a topic that already interested me and as I love to hear people talk about something that they are passionate about, we bought a copy. I started to read it out loud to Matt as we drove home and we both are excited about continuing the read.
Joey's
Aug 11, 2010 Joey's rated it it was amazing
An outstanding book to read. Provides very detailed research/explantations of the various groups that populated North, Central, and South America; how developed/advanced that they where; as well as debunking the sole theory of the crossing of the Bering Straights as being the only way that the America's were settled. A must read for anyone interested in Pre & Post Columbia America.
Scott Foley
May 01, 2014 Scott Foley rated it really liked it
Shelves: church-books
I found new and relevant discoveries in this book. the book is way to long and dry for casual reading where the author goes into futher detail than I care to know. I learned about tribes of white indians, hebrew traditions and culture practiced by the indians, and stories passed along that parallel Book of Mormon events.
James Mcdougal
Jan 09, 2010 James Mcdougal is currently reading it
Fascinating?! Mr Calderwood has been collecting historical records, lost in Spanish and Portuguese libraries for centuries regarding the legends and oral histories, written by the Conquistadors, of the pre-Columbian Indians and their similarities to the Book of Mormon.
Keisha
Aug 12, 2013 Keisha rated it it was amazing
I read this a little at a time so I could actually retain some of the information instead of just finishing. It's very well researched and written and I learned a lot. Some day, I'll read it again.
Selma
Dec 02, 2008 Selma rated it liked it
Excellent information on Mesoamerica! I met the Author at the LDS Bookstore in Dallas and found him delightful! I could listen to him for hours.
Mikey
Aug 21, 2010 Mikey rated it really liked it
I loved the book. I thought it was really well done. I liked how it focused more on oral tradition of the ancient Americans.
Kcastro
Sep 18, 2010 Kcastro rated it it was amazing
Scholarly. Took awhile to read. I met the author at the library in Nauvoo.
Elizabeth
Sep 12, 2008 Elizabeth is currently reading it
I have only just begun this one
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Zach Edward
Zach Edward marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
John Ledesma
John Ledesma marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2015
John Kimbrough
John Kimbrough is currently reading it
Sep 10, 2015
Lara R
Lara R marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Walker
Walker rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2015
Allen
Allen added it
Jan 11, 2015
Héctor Contreras
Héctor Contreras rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2014
Kristi Gibb
Kristi Gibb marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Heather Waite
Heather Waite marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Austin Archibald
Austin Archibald marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Rbarfuss
Rbarfuss rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2014
Robert Freeze
Robert Freeze marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Ryan Smith
Ryan Smith rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2014
Kenneth Burr
Kenneth Burr rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2014
Amanda Thompson
Amanda Thompson marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014