Start by marking “The Dust of Wonderland” as Want to Read:

The Dust of Wonderland

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Horror.
Published August 1st 2007 by Alyson Books

To ask other readers questions about The Dust of Wonderland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dust of Wonderland

Drawing Blood by Poppy Z. BriteMidnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John BerendtMartyrs and Monsters by Robert DunbarWilly by Robert DunbarThe Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
Gay horror
31st out of 32 books — 31 voters
Drawing Blood by Poppy Z. BriteLost Souls by Poppy Z. BriteExquisite Corpse by Poppy Z. BriteFallocaust by Quil CarterBreaking Jade by Quil Carter
Best Gay Horror
58th out of 73 books — 58 voters

More lists with this book...

Matt
If you like "horror" books, this one will definitely please. It was very well-written and the story is quite powerful.

I've been reading a lot of books lately that are about teenagers or young adults, and this is a story with all adult characters (except for frequent flashback scenes when the adult characters are teens).

The main character, Ken, returns to New Orleans after his teenage son is brutally attacked and it's not certain whether he will live. The story involves Ken coming to terms with h
Vince Liaguno
The past’s influence on the present is an enduring theme in literature and the arts in general. For some, the past is a lifeline that helps them make it through the challenges of the present and onward toward the promise of a future. For others, like the protagonist in Lee Thomas’ The Dust of Wonderland, memory is a disease that infects the present and threatens the very concept of a future. In his stellar third novel, Thomas personifies the memories of the past in the images of dust:

Always th
Juushika
Ken Nicholson returns to New Orleans after his son is hospitalized and encounters all of the mistakes and mysteries of his past. Years ago, he lived in a strange club called Wonderland which closed after the tragic events of a single night; now, its influences return to haunt Ken and threaten his family. This is, for me, an unusual review: I am reviewing the book without finishing it. I found The Dust of Wonderland so bad, with poor writing and ill-paced plot, that I was unable to finish it. As ...more
Freeson
Gerhard
I struggled to enjoy, let alone finish, this supernatural mystery novel with gay elements. Some plot points strain incredulity and the characterisation is perfunctory, while the horror is tired and has been done much better in novels such as Coldheart Canyon. Disappointing. However, the writing shows promise, and I will look out for the award-winning The German after this.
Dark Recesses
THE DUST OF WONDERLAND
Lee Thomas
Alyson Books
Hardcover, $24.95

With his debut novel, STAINED (Wildside Press, 2004), Lee Thomas walked away with a Stoker for Superior Achievement in the First Novel Category. It was a brilliant piece of fiction and, obviously, a tough act to follow. But Thomas has proven himself up to the challenge with THE DUST OF WONDERLAND, which may easily provide him with a second Stoker.
Thomas tells the story of Ken Nicholson, an aging man still trying to find a balance betw
Michael
Tell me a story. Those words haunted Kenneth Nicholson for years, terrorized his waking hours to the point where he had been forced to abandon his family and the man he loved to start a new life in another state. Not that his new life was anything to brag about -- work and a string of meaningless relationships -- but it wasn't haunted by his past.

When the phone call comes from his ex-wife to tell him that their son has been brutally beaten and his chances of survival are slim, Ken is forced to r
Kelli
While a bit slow out of the gate, this tale seeps into your skin and festers as you read. When you're done, it sits, quietly stewing in the back of your mind. A week later, I'm still debating some of the conflict resolutions, still pondering the abilities of Travis, and have put the book on the re-read shelf. Yes, that's a good sign.

The story was a new twist on an old stand by—nothing in it has been overused, abused, or done to the point that you want to throw it. It's almost a ghost story that
Eric King
3.5 to 4 stars really. I picked up this book at a 2nd hand book store and decided to give it a shot. I have to say - it was better than I thought it was going to be. However, I felt that the paranormal tie in didn't really fit. It seemed that the book was on a particular track of fiction, but then ventured off into the realm of Sci-Fi. And I won't post any spoilers but I absolute HATED the fact that someone in the book died that was essentially innocent.

This was something that I don't think I wo
Jimmy
Ken returns to New Orleans when his ex-wife calls him about his son’s attack. Coming back to New Orleans returns memories of Travis and their haunting time together at Wonderland. Ken is divorced and holds no illusions of being in a relationship. But, he is soon faced with his ex, David, and the choice between him or his family. "Tell me a story, Baby." is the request Ken hears over again and again. Also the residents of New Orleans can tell all kinds of stories of the cities past. Like when the ...more
Dennis
Lee Thomas, the author, currently resides in Austin, TX and is a good friend of mine. Lee previously lived in New Orleans' French Quarter, the setting for this book - so the scene is authentic NOLA. Although it is the gay genre, the story would appeal to a wide range of readers. Very suspenseful. Thriller. Supernatural. Excellent book - received LAMDA award for best book of this genre.
Kenneth Ingram
This was a book that kept me reading, waiting for the next twist. I loved some of the descriptive wording Mr. Thomas wove into the story. Read this one if you want a taste of Lambda award winning writer Lee Thomas and his skill in telling a story.
Colin
In an outstanding novel set in New Orleans, Ken Nicholson, summoned back from Austin after an apparently motiveless attack on his son, must dive back into his past to confront the Dust of Wonderland.

One of the finest novels of recent years, the full review can be read here
Patrick Collins
Sep 23, 2008 Patrick Collins rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Gay book groups
Although some of the prose is leaden in this gay horror book that takes place in New Orleans, and this is not the kind of subject matter I normally like to read, I nonetheless found the novel entertaining and hard to put down. I was impressed with Lee Thomas' accomplishment.
Sandra
An excellent book that manages to convey terror as only New Orleans could have it - veiled in almost over-rich promise, the certainty of destruction and decay. I devoured this book in one sitting.
Vivencio
the first few chapters made me think of the familiar grounds christopher rice explored in his early novels, but reading on proved that this book has a chilly and macabre charm entirely its own.
Don
Lee Thomas brilliantly weaves a story about a man with a troubled past that he must confront to become his true self.
George Mcconnell
A true page turner. Dark, mysterious, noir, simply excellent.
Moonyean
I don't usually read horror, but this was exceptional.
Gerran Walker
Gerran Walker marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Brandon Desiderio
Brandon Desiderio marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
jessica alston
jessica alston marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Torne
Torne marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Ana Noez
Ana Noez marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Matthew Connor
Matthew Connor marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Evelyn Lamprey
Evelyn Lamprey marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Rebecca Kennedy
Rebecca Kennedy marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
LEE THOMAS is the Bram Stoker Award and the Lambda Literary Award-winning author of STAINED , ASH STREET , THE DUST OF WONDERLAND , and THE GERMAN . Recent and forthcoming titles include LIKE LIGHT FOR FLIES , and BUTCHER’S ROAD .

ADDITIONAL TITLES:
TORN
IN THE CLOSET, UNDER THE BED
FOCUS
THE BLACK SUN SET
CRISIS
PARISH DAMNED

More about Lee Thomas...
The German Torn Turning White: A Memoir of Change In the Closet, Under the Bed Parish Damned