Start by marking “Biopsychology” as Want to Read:
Biopsychology

Biopsychology

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  254 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Biopsychology clearly presents the fundamentals of the study of the biology of behavior and makes the topics personally and socially relevant to the reader.

The defining feature of Biopsychology is its unique combination of biopsychological science and personal, reader-oriented discourse. It is a textbook that is “untextbooklike.” Rather than introducing biopsychology in t

Hardcover, (with MyPsychKit Student Access Code Card) (7th Edition), 608 pages
Published December 22nd 2007 by Allyn & Bacon (first published January 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Biopsychology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Biopsychology

Lewis Weinstein
An excellent overview of how the brain functions. When I say I read it, that's something of an overstatement. I read some sections, scanned others, and will come back to it again. This is in preparation for a one-week course next summer at Oxford.
Kayson Fakhar
پیش نیاز حجیم ولی مفید.
Aaron
One of the better psychology texts books I've found. Pinel's writing is for the most part interesting and engaging, if the humor is spotty. This books has three things that make it stand apart from other text books.

First, it's meat and potatoes. Neuroanatomy is hard enough as it is. Information is kept relevant, on a "need to know" basis. If it's in the text book, you should probably know it. Pinel does a good job keeping his writing focused, using space to explain concepts and provide meaningf
Carolyn
Emphasis on the psychology side of this text's title. Pinel caters to the B.A. crowd with this text that's notably deficient in adequate scientific explanation. For instance, "salts dissolve in water to form ions" wholly ignores CHEM 101 rules of solubility. Describing the complex physical sciences involved in generating an MRI image as "something to do with hydrogen atoms" is decidedly vague. 'Biopsychology' is a pleasantly science-soft work for those seeking a career in counselling psychology. ...more
Andres
I read this for a physiological psychology class but didn't read every chapter (only those that were assigned). After the class was over I planned to read the skipped chapters... but haven't actually gotten around to that. I don't see my opinion of the book changing after finishing it, so I might as well give my 2¢ worth.

It was informative and straightforward, nothing too difficult. Of course as with any textbook there's plenty of detail to get lost in, but a student's success is up to that indi
Jyotika Varmani
This book is the gold standard for anyone who wants to master biopsychology. I did not understand anything of this difficult subject till I got hold of this book. All the concepts in this book are very clear, and build upon each other. Since biopsychology is a major focus of psychology today, this book must interest every student today.
Aysha
this was actually a text book for one of my undergraduate program classes, i had t return the university copy and purchased another one for myself. definitely a keeper. The information presentation is easy to follow, anyone can read this book and understand it, all you is passion for Biopsychology.
Sofie
This is quite good. I read it for class in biological psychology and it's full of well-written, easy-to-grasp knowledge on the subject - and also amusing or interesting cases to illustrate, and even a joke here and there.

The only thing I wish for this book, which it was missing, is chapter summaries. Some might fear that this will allow students to only read summaries and not gain the deeper grasp that full reading lets them have, but now that I'm looking things over for my exam, I'm really miss
Lisa
Sep 06, 2007 Lisa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Student / Psychology Professors
Pinel's Biopsychology text book is amazing. I can't even begin to imagine the amount of time and effort that had to go into it. I am not sure, but I really don't think you can find another book in the field of Biopsychology that appeals to such a wide range of readers. This was the text assigned to me during my graduate level Biopsychology class, and honestly when I first registered for the class I thought I was done for! There was no way I was going to be able to master biopsychology - until I ...more
Eric
May 28, 2012 Eric rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: students, neurostudents
Recommended to Eric by: Psyc 367 @Ball State University
Shelves: school
This book was for my Psych 367 class at Ball State University. It was an educational book that taught me a lot of different aspects of the human mind. It was a pleasant read because the author made the language more on the level of a conversation with him instead of trying to be necessary high-brow which a lot of other texts tend to do. This ease in the text made it easier to read and a result was able to finish the course in a more timely fashion than I thought I would be able to do. When teach ...more
Dre Battles
It's a great textbook, but sometimes there were seemingly whole paragraphs with nothing but vocab words. The problem with this was that it focused more on the definition then on the concepts sometimes. But a big plus for this book would be the illustrations! It has pictures of pretty much every thing we go over in the book (action potentials, anatomy of a neuron, the brain and it's lobes and gyri).
Stacey
This book and CD were very interactive and useful. Probably my favorite upper division class next to History and Systems of Psych. I would recommend this book to anyone taking neuro or bio psych especially if you don't like the assigned text book. A good reference to have if you're looking for a more interactive way of learning the concepts.
Azra
Actually studying from this book but it's amazing. It shows and explains a lot of things we asked ourselves but never got a real answer (why do we sleep, dream, have sexual preferences...) Pinel is very funny sometimes. 'Men are quite boring in this hormonal sense' and I just love it because he makes it so simple! :)
Dyan Anunson
This is an easily read text book. It is well organized and gives a very nice overview to the subject matter. Flashcards on the accompanying Cd help with learning new terms.
Lisa Marie
Very informative and interesting to read. Some of the concepts were occasionally difficult to understand, but Pinel generally did a good job explaining them to be understood.
Blair Alexis
This book was not written for intro level students. The visuals are great but the information is not explained well and is very jumbled in my opinion.
Name
LOVE! wonderful text book. will change the way you view living creatures.
Irfan
Lagi nyari buku ini versi bahasa indonesia. Tpyamg ori. Beli dimana ya?
Beth
It was good for a textbook.
Maja
Maja marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Nemesismcy
Nemesismcy marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Ed
Ed marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Alice Ho
Alice Ho is currently reading it
May 02, 2015
  • Fundamentals of Human Neuropsychology
  • Physiology of Behavior, 9th Edition
  • The Act of Creation
  • What about Now?: Reminders for Being in the Moment
  • Discovering Statistics Using SPSS (Introducing Statistical Methods)
  • The Post-College Guide to Happiness
  • Cognitive Psychology
  • Cultural Anthropology
  • Cognition
  • Webs of Influence: The Psychology of Online Persuasion
  • The Relaxation and Stress Reduction Workbook
  • Bones of the Master: A Journey to Secret Mongolia
A Colorful Introduction to the Anatomy of the Human Brain Basics of Biopsychology [With CDROM] Biopsychology Plus MyPsychLab Access Card Biopsychology, Books a la Carte Plus New Mypsychlab with Etext -- Access Card Package Grade Aid Workbook with Practice Tests for Biopsychology with Beyond the Brain and Behavior CD-ROM and Mypsychkit for Biopsychology with Beyond the Brain and Behavior CD-ROM and with Mypsychkit