Finbar's Hotel

Finbar's Hotel

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  310 ratings  ·  29 reviews
It calls itself a novel, but Finbar's Hotel is really more a collection of related short stories by novelists. Irish writer Dermot Bolger came up with the idea to invite six of his literary colleagues to collaborate on a tale about a decrepit Dublin Hotel on the eve of its demolition. In its prime, Finbar's was a glorious place; now, however, it's the haunt of prostitutes...more
Published January 8th 1999 by Picador (first published 1997)

The Importance Of Being Earnest by Oscar WildeThe Colour of Magic by Terry PratchettThe Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsPippi Goes on Board by Astrid LindgrenThe Dive From Clausen's Pier by Ann Packer
Luggage
25th out of 39 books — 21 voters
The Importance Of Being Earnest by Oscar WildeShopaholic Takes Manhattan by Sophie KinsellaShopaholic & Baby by Sophie KinsellaMary Poppins by P.L. TraversThe Cougar Club by Susan McBride
Handbags on the Cover
16th out of 25 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Brendan
Perhaps it’s not being so stuffy to admit that a collaborative novel -- especially when it involves seven collaborators! -- doesn’t sound terribly appealing. After all, writing isn’t a democratic enterprise and novels are fitful, fragile creations. They can too easily cave in under the weight of a gimmick or come apart without the adhesion of a single author’s vision. Which only makes Finbar’s Hotel more impressive. If collaboration is a risk that invites disaster, then it must also make room fo...more
Kelly
One or 2 of the stories were slightly interesting, the rest were slightly or very disturbing. A few seemed to have really no point at all or maybe I was just too dense to read into what the author was trying to convey. I kept hoping it would get better and that the next author would come up with a more creative story, but each time the stories were disappointing. Too bad because the book had such potential to be a great insight into some different personalities. Most of the stories were a little...more
Anna
This is an interesting idea. Seven short stories, all based at Finbar’s Hotel, Dublin, which is shortly to be closed down and renovated. Each story is written by a different Irish writer and is based on an occupant in one of the rooms. We are not told which writer wrote which story. However each writer has also picked up from the previous story and so even as they introduce a new character, the various characters featured in the other tales may appear too as “bit players”. The stories also revea...more
Brekke
I like that the short stories both stand alone and create a tapestry. Creating together a much richer understanding of Finbar's and gives extra glimpses of the Characters.

I re-read like mad, but this one is always an extra sweet re-read surprise.

Not the most interesting or original idea, but it certainly works well for what it does. One thing that does upset me is that the reader is not told who authors each of the sections, so I can't stalk the author of the stories I like the best.
Melissa DeGott
This was definitely a unique read. I haven't read anything like it before. I love Irish culture so I was immediately drawn to this book. I found it very interesting how each chapter followed a different person that was checked into a different room with a different story. Very captivating in that sense. I did find it a bit wordy and some chapters I enjoyed more than others, but overall a book I would recommend to someone interested in unique fiction with an Irish attitude.
Sandra
Cleverly conceived. Seven Irish authors take their turn at telling the story of a night in a seedy Dublin hotel that is soon to be demolished. Each chapter is told by one of the guests who are checked in and interweave their stories with a guest previously mentioned. The characters are colorful as well - from a paranoid art thief to a cat-napper who steals his ex's beloved kitty in retribution. Excellent, quick read.
Courtney
I read this book for a book club my neighbor invited me to attend. When I finished the book, I felt like there had been no point in reading it. Because it consists of 7 short stories, there was not enough time in each to build up a plot. It wasn't uplifting. I didn't learn anything. It was filled with trash such as adultery, rape, stealing, etc. I was not impressed! It was a waste of my time.
Brian
An enjoyable read, made all the more enjoyable from being familiar with the section of Dublin where it is set. The overlapping of the stories makes for an intriguing link between them and keeps a momentum in the book.

In spite of being called a novel it is more a series of linked short stories. It does touch on a number of facets of Irish life and characters.
Christina Gagliano
Each chapter could stand as a short story, but each one links to the other by mentioning characters from one story to the next. The last story was the weakest but the rest of the stories were, as the Irish would say "brilliant." I don't think I would have enjoyed this book as much if I hadn't just been to Dublin and knew about/been to most of the places mentioned.
Mandy Sherman

I liked the idea of this book. A bunch of authors writing a chapter where the last left off. Since it is about the visitors in a hotel each has their own separate story line merging in small instances. The first chapter I really enjoyed. The others were just boring and at points depressing.
Angela
Jul 29, 2007 Angela rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Anyone traveling to Ireland
Fun read--especially for the beach. Pokes a lot of fun at Americans traveling in Ireland (granted, we are an easy target at times). As a series of short stories, it is an easy read to pick up and put down often. Stories link together a bit which makes the entire collection more interesting.
Richard
A clever multi-author novel that never feels anything other than cohesive. Some strong character studies but each handled with wit as well as insight. Finbar's Hotel blends humour with a permeating sense of emptiness and decay with a deceptively light touch from all its authors.
Anne London
Interesting concept--each chapter is written by a different author with only a very slight overlap. I don't think I would have read it had it not been for book club, but am glad that I did if just for the uniqueness of how it is written.
Tim O'Riordan
Collection of short stories by different writers all occurring on the same night in the same hotel if my memory serves me correctly. Some of the stories were ok but it didn't hold my attention enough to bother finish reading.
A fun collection of short stories set in an Irish hotel. I love how the characters from the different stories, each with different authors and styles, interact and reference each other from one story to the next -- very clever.
Darcy
A bunch of short stories in a hotel that is on it's last legs of life. Some of these stories were really good, some ok, and some better skipped. The Ladies night one is much better.
Sandy
I read this a long time ago but I remember enjoying it in a good but not great way. I liked the intertwining of different stories in a tangential way.
Ambre
Nov 15, 2012 Ambre rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ambre by: Oonagh Moore
I really did enjoy this book. Wasn't sure what it would read like but the stories all blended together really cohesively.
Moche
Interesting the way the stories were woven together. It was a nice, quiet read, not very exciting, but interesting.
Lauren
Read this over the Hawaii trip. Compelling stories interwoven by some strong Irish writers.
Paul Heather
From bookshelf in Gite. Really good read and the first chapter in particular is hilarious
Liz
Really interesting, now I need to get 'Ladies Night' from the library.
da-wildchildz
Either I don’t get Irish humour and/ or these stories aren't funny.
Mary
Hate it when that happens, but I gave it up about 3/4 through.
Rosie
Apr 09, 2012 Rosie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: irish
good short stories, dark humour. liked quite a lot.
Meme
this book sucks lol to me it does sorry >:[
Aleksandra
One of my favourite "hotel novels" ...
Drew
Finbar's Hotel: A Novel (1999)
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
  • Shuttlecock
  • The Heather Blazing
  • The Children of Dynmouth
  • O Come Ye Back to Ireland: Our First Year in County Clare
  • Rover Saves Christmas
  • The Dead School
  • Ghosts (The Freddie Montgomery Trilogy #2)
  • Nothing Bad Ever Happens In Tiffany's (Pocket Penguins 70's)
  • Story-Wallah: Short Fiction from South Asian Writers
  • With Nails: The Film Diaries of Richard E. Grant
  • The Poor Mouth: A Bad Story about the Hard Life
  • In Search of Ancient Ireland: The Origins of the Irish from Neolithic Times to the Coming of the English
  • Yesterday's Weather
  • Grace Notes
  • Misconception
  • The Country Girls
  • The One Million Pound Bank Note (Tale Blazers)
  • The Book of Kells
Dermot Bolger is an Irish novelist, playwright and poet born in Finglas, a suburb of Dublin.

His work is often concerned with the articulation of the experiences of working-class characters who, for various reasons, feel alienated from society. Bolger questions the relevance of traditional nationalist concepts of Irishness, arguing for a more plural and inclusive society.

In the late 1970s Bolger se...more
More about Dermot Bolger...
Ladies' Night at  Finbar's Hotel The Journey Home The Family on Paradise Pier The Vintage Book of Contemporary Irish Fiction Father's Music