Start by marking “Halloween Night” as Want to Read:
Halloween Night

Halloween Night

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  195 ratings  ·  57 reviews
'Twas Halloween night, Tand all through the house, Every creature was stirring, including the mouse . . . The witch is cooking. Banshees are singing. The goody bags are oozing with ooey, gooey snacks. Everyone's warming up for the best Halloween party ever. Get ready for a frighteningly fun time, because you're invited!
Published July 22nd 2008 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about Halloween Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Halloween Night

David
Halloween Night by Marjorie Dennis Murray, illustrated by Brandon Dorman is a variation on The Night Before Christmas focusing on a monsterous Halloween celebration.

Dorman's detailed illustrations, both funny and creepy, were made using digital art. My favorite images are mummies, creepies, buffet, 10 tricksters, shivers, monsters, enjoyed and leftovers.

This rhyming treat features a witch, zombies, mummies, pumpkins, green creepies, a ghost, banshees, bats, ravens, harpies, amd a two headed host
Monster
“Twas Halloween night, and all through the house/Every creature was stirring, including the mouse”.

So begins one of the stranger variations on “ Twas the Night Before Christmas”, where instead of greeting Santa Claus, the residents of a haunted house prepare for their visitors. The illustrations are a dead giveaway that readers should expect a tickle to the funny bone. There’s a significant “gross-out” factor that’s aided considerably by the illustrations- it’s one thing to read about ogres set
Laurie
Keegan
So somehow this ended up in our library collection along with the Christmas books when my four-year-old stumbled on it and requested it. I thought I was too Halloween-ed out for now, but this is really a delightful Halloween book! It parallels "Twas the Night Before Christmas," and my kids recognized that really early on, but of course has its own story. The illustrations are beautiful and really drew my kids (4 & 6) in. Even the older one (who can read) would sit and stare at the pictures a ...more
Amy
The title is Halloween Night and it is written by Marjorie Dennis and illustrated by Brandon Dorman. The publisher is Greenwillow Books and it was published in 2008. The book has not received any awards so far but it is a fantasitic poetry book. The plot of the book starts on Halloween night in an old scary house. In the house there is a witch, some goblins, zombies, an ogre, an Olaf, and bats all preparing Halloween treats. The treats are filled with bugs, eyeballs and other treats for the litt ...more
Sharron Thornton
This delightful story is a Halloween word play on The Night Before Christmas. The story begins by describing a haunted house full of creepy creatures: "Stiff-legged zombies awoke from the dead, As moth-eaten mummies arose from their beds".
When ten young tricksters approach the house,an ugly witch invites them in: "Come in!" said the witch. "Please be our guests. Come to our party! We've put out our best!" The children peeked through the open door and saw a table full of goodies: "fishtail, st
Kristy McRae
My son brought this one home from the library. Cute, fun Halloween story. The illustrations are what really make this one fabulous! So many great details, spooky creatures, gross-outs (like jars of eyeballs)! We loved it!
Margaret
While nearly too scary with plenty of halloween gouls and more this is a neat read to add to the seasonal stack with a poetry akin to "the night before Christmas". It pleasing the ears and humorous to the right audience. My girls won't read ot alone, but they'll gladly snuggle up and read it aloud with me. The illustrations are amusing and full of hints to see as well.

I received this product free for the purpose of reviewing it. I received no other compensation for this review. The opinions expr
Tiffany Baker
This has to be one of our most favorite new books to read before. So cool!!
babyhippoface
A Halloween take-off on Clement Moore's "Night Before Christmas", as the witch and all her ghastly friends (mummies, banshees, bats, zombies, and more) prepare for a fantastic, frightening Halloween party. Scary decorations and sickly snacks are put out for all to enjoy, and all the monsters are ready for fun when they hear the doorbell ring and a group of costumed children shouting, "Trick-or-Treat!" Brandon Dorman's illustrations are wonderfully creepy and comical, perfect for the tone of this ...more
Heidi Stone
Gorgeous pictures, fun rhyming book.
Shannon D. Hall
This book is a Halloween MUST READ!
Alyn
Got this book from the public library to read to my 4 yr old son. He's a very picky boy. I thought he might not like it but he loved it.

The book has just about everything that has to do with Halloween and more. We get to see witches, ghosts, mummies and banshees. There are a lot of things to look at and my son enjoyed counting the number of pumpkins on a page.

The book is also a very easy read. There are usually 3-5 sentences on each page which makes it a quick read too. I don't find myself goin
Tara
This book is based on "'Twas the Night Before Christmas." It's a fun take on that poem for Hallowe'en. We follow ghouls and ghosts and other scary things as they throw a party on Hallowe'en. The poem is fun and the illustrations are fantastic. The illustrations are so detailed that they could be looked at for hours and hours to see everything that's in them. This book stands up to multiple readings and is easily a yearly favourite.
Jen
Very neat Halloween book about creatures having a party at a haunted house and some tricksters who show up there, but aren't really happy with what they find! My elementary students have enjoyed this book this week and some have said they'd stay for the party and others have said that they'd run as fast as they could AWAY from it!
Jesika La Bryer
This was another great Halloween book. The rhymes on each page add to the delight of celebrating Halloween and the festivals associated with it. My 6 year old loved this one, he was engrossed by the description of the characters and the illustrations. This book could lead to a great poetry assignment.
Copyright 2010
Candice
my daughter didn't even want me to finish this book when I read it to her. Half way through it she closed it and went to find me another book to read to her. Which she never does. I think the illustrations scared her. I loved the illustrations (for an older child) but the story line is a little weak
Heather
38 months - Stories written based on the 12 Days of Christmas and The Night Before Christmas drive me nuts...there are so many of them that it's tiresome even if on occasion the words and illustrations are top notch. I would just prefer reading something original.
Alexandra Sinkus
1. Poetry
2. None
3. K-2
4. This story is perfect for around Halloween. It is a good mixture of gross and spooky. The children would enjoy the detailed pictures. I would have the kids do an art activity of what they would be dressing up for Halloween.
Jolene
Dec 04, 2009 Jolene rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Children 3-7 years old. Halloween lovers.
Halloween Night by Majorie Dennis Murray/Illustrations by Brandon Dorman. A witty and rhyming take on "The Night Before Christmas." The drawing and ryhming text are very charming and would make an excellent storytime treat for 3-7 year olds.
Tina
Henry and I read this on October 30th to celebrate Halloween. Cute take on the night before Christmas. Loved the rhymes and the illustrations. Could see us reading this every Halloween season.
Jennie
Jul 01, 2009 Jennie added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: K-2 and Intensive Support Classes
Recommended to Jennie by: Marianne Costello
A rhyming Halloween version of The Night Before Christmas complete with colorful illustrations of ghouls, bats, vampires and witches preparing a lovely feast that frightens away the trick-o-treaters.
Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
The boychild was not quite ready for Halloween to be over, so he grabbed this one from the library.

Set to "Twas the Night Before Christmas". Very cute. The illustrations were great.
Stacy
Just bought this today at Barnes and Noble. So cute! A poem like "Twas the night before Christmas" for Halloween. Myself and my kids fell in love with the illustrations.
Kathryn
Simply wonderful. The illustrations were fantastic, vibrant and with so much to discover on each page. The story was a rhyme taken from The Night Before Christmas.
Noel Arndt Caryl
I read Nancy Pearl's "Book Crush" which is books for kids. This is one of the books she suggested and of the recent storybooks we read, this was one of the best.
Relyn
Nov 03, 2013 Relyn rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hmmmm...
Recommended to Relyn by: a random blog I was passing by
The illustrations in this book are lush, but that wasn't enough to get my kids interested in the book. It sat out for free reading for a few weeks - not one taker.
Teri
I really loved this Halloween poem based on The Night Before Christmas. The illustrations are riveting, the text is not "doofy" and we liked the nontypical ending.
Seanah Lebed
AMAZING! Get it for your books shelves or for the kiddos!! It's a Halloween story set to the poetic cadance of The Night Before Christmas.
Sarah Curtis
I absolutely LOVE this book! My son wants to read it every night before bed, and I don't mind at all!! The illustrations are so cute.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Los Gatos Black on Halloween
  • The Night Before Halloween
  • Skeleton Hiccups
  • The Ugly Pumpkin
Hippo Goes Bananas! Don't Wake Up the Bear! Don't Wake Up the Bear! Little Wolf and the Moon Hippos Tooth Surprise