Ice Palace

Ice Palace

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  150 ratings  ·  13 reviews
This is the story of Alaska before statehood, in all its glory, beauty and bleakness...where men pitted themselves against the elements and the wilds, only to find the greatest threat is from "outside."

Edna Ferber is one of the best-selling novelists of this century, including her Pulitzer Prize novel SO BIG.

Published June 1st 1958 by Garden City: Doubleday (first published 1920)

To ask other readers questions about Ice Palace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ice Palace

El
This is a story about a few different things. You have Christine Storm in the Alaskan Territory, a 17-year-old orphan living on-and-off with both of her grandfathers, two completely different men (one who lives in the territory based on his love of the land and those that live there, and one who lives in the territory based on his love of money and power). The grandfathers also have differing views on where Christine should live - should she continue to live in Alaska or should she go to the "Ou...more
Keturah
This is my favorite Ferber book and one of my favorite books of all time. I love the characters, the descriptions, the story, and even the propaganda! I re-read this book every few years and continue to enjoy doing so. My one complaint is that Ferber didn't wrap up the love story neatly enough for me. Why couldn't Ross and Christine even have one kiss?! Silly, I know, but I love those two characters!
Judy
Mar 09, 2011 Judy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: interested in Alaska, history, etc.

This is one of the better Edna Ferber books I have read. By 1958, she had been writing novels for over 40 years and it shows. Her setting this time is Alaska, in the fictional town of Baranof during the years just preceding Alaska's admission to statehood in 1959. It was #7 on the bestseller list for 1958.

The characters are good and richly created. Christine Storm, born in the midst of severe weather, is central to the story. Her parents died before she turned one year old and she was raised b...more
Dale
Ah, Edna, you are rapidly getting to be one of my favorte authors! Check out her Pulizer Prize winning "So Big and my favorite so far "Cimarron. All great reads about interesting times and interesting characters.
Vicky
Nov 17, 2008 Vicky rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Vicky by: Chaunce Venuto
A friend recommended this book because of my interest in Alaska and the fact that she is one of his favorite authors. I know she has written a ton of books and maybe she was considered good in her time but I was unimpressed. Don't think I would read another one of hers. Characters were not developed enough and there just wasn't enough about the state to make it interesting.
K.M. Weiland
For a glorified travel brochure, the book offers some surprisingly compelling characters. Despite heavy-handed political and moral messages, it makes up for it with a unique structure and a fascinating glimpse of pre-statehood Alaska, a setting not often explored.
Carol
Aug 18, 2008 Carol rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone planning to visit Alaska
Recommended to Carol by: James Michener
I read this book after reading Michener's Alaska. It is propaganda, but still an enjoyable read -- somewhat dated now that Alaska is a state. It gives an overview of what life was like there about 50 years ago.
Audrey
This was a book about fictional characters after WW II and before statehood of Alaska. You get to understand Sarah Palin and family somewhat after reading this more personal story.
Emily
I couldn't finish this book. I tried so hard, but I just wasn't that involved in the characters. It did provide an interesting look into Alaska during the 1950s.
Carrie Lynn Barker
Interesting story on Alaska's people. Not my favorite Edna Ferber but still extremely interesting. Lots of things I didn't know about Alaska.
Caroline

takes place in Alaska. Tried to read it because I loved Giant.
Cheryl
Although this is not her most literary work, it is my favorite.
Nikki
I want to go to Alaska!
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Sdhall0824
Sdhall0824 marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Brenda
Brenda marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Diana Duncan
Diana Duncan marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Madame Mo
Madame Mo marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Karissa Adams
Karissa Adams marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Edna Ferber was an American novelist, short story writer and playwright. Her novels were popular in her lifetime and included the Pulitzer Prize-winning So Big (1924), Show Boat (1926; made into the celebrated 1927 musical), Cimarron (1929; made into the 1931 film which won the Academy Award for Best Picture), and Giant (1952; made into the 1956 Hollywood movie).
More about Edna Ferber...
So Big Giant Show Boat Saratoga Trunk Cimarron