Start by marking “Uncle Vanya” as Want to Read:
Uncle Vanya

Uncle Vanya

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  11,169 Ratings  ·  235 Reviews
Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright David Mamet’s Uncle Vanya is a sparkling restoration of a masterpiece of the modern stage, marked by Mamet’s finely tuned ear for dialogue and memorable poetic imagery.

In "Uncle Vanya," a retired professor and his beautiful young wife return to the country estate left by his deceased first wife to find themselves overwhelmed by the stagnan
Published January 21st 1994 by Grove Press (first published 1897)

To ask other readers questions about Uncle Vanya, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uncle Vanya

Jason
Aug 03, 2015 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-kindle, reviewed, 2015
Another great Anton Chekhov play. I’m not really sure what it is I love about Chekhov, though if I had to narrow it down I might attribute that love to some of his more pitiable characters—think Lubov Andreyevna, for example, or Treplev from The Seagull. Or I might say that there’s a kind of understatedness to his plots that bring his plays to life in a way that is often unmatched. There are recurring themes, also, that unify his four major works. The characters in Uncle Vanya discuss at length ...more
Lyn
Jun 19, 2015 Lyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Uncle Vanya was completed by Russian playwright, author and doctor Anton Chekhov in 1897 and first produced in Moscow in 1899. This fairly complicated interaction between a group of people, secluded in a country estate is filled with dramatic irony and with overwhelming themes of introspection, ennui and dashed hopes. To say it is bleak would be like saying Conan O’Brien can be a snarky smart ass.

description

But this is Russian drama, so some darkness can be expected, even anticipated. I wonder if long, col
M.
Jan 04, 2013 M. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dramaturgy
Just this.
"We must live our lives. Yes, we shall live, Uncle Vanya. We shall live through the long procession of days before us, and through the long evenings; we shall patiently bear the trials that fate imposes on us; we shall work for others without rest, both now and when we are old; and when our last hour comes we shall meet it humbly, and there, beyond the grave, we shall say that we have suffered and wept, that our life was bitter, and God will have pity on us. Ah, then dear, dear Uncle,
Trish
I came upon this play at just the right moment, when I could see it in isolation and yet reflecting the connections between it and all the other great plays about family interaction, unrequited love, and human despair. It reminded me strongly of Eugene O'Neill or Arthur Miller, filled with a kind of crazy inability to act, to move, to change.

I had no idea previously that Chekov was writing directly to all of us, the people "one hundred or two hundred years from now" who would be facing an enviro
Duane
I enjoy Chekhov's short stories immensely, I think many of them would make very good plays. But he also wrote good plays, and Uncle Vanya was one of the best. It's about one Russian family and their interfamily relationships, featuring jealousy, secret amorous longings, and common bickering, that occur over a span of a few days. I know it's meant to be a serious play, and it is, but I couldn't help but be amused by some of their actions and conversations. I would love to see this one on stage.
Tempo de Ler
Apr 08, 2015 Tempo de Ler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
O tamanho deste livro não é reflexo da densidade do seu conteúdo. Por ser uma peça, acabamos por ter um papel mais activo, acrescentando as nossas percepções em relação ao que não foi escrito. Cada vez mais os livros se enchem de grafismo, parágrafos e parágrafos de descrição para montar cenários, linhas e mais linhas para dissecar sentimentos e aqui está, da forma mais simples possível, mas com igual ou superior competência, «O Tio Vânia».

A melancolia que encontrei antes nos contos de Tchekhov
محمود حسني

لما برجع أقرا حاجة لتشيكوف بفتكر كلام باتريك سوزكيند عن موزارت في مسرحية مونودراما عبقرية ليه اسمها الكونتراباص

وكان بيقول على لسان عازف الكونتراباص : إن موزارت حقيقة ليس أسطورة في الموسيقى .. ليس استثنائي في مؤلفاته .. أهميته ليست فنية بقدر ما هي تاريخية .. أهميته في أنه أول من أفتتح تلك الدروب التي أتى من بعده بيتهوفن وشوبان وشوبارت ليملؤها عبقرية ..

تقريبا الكلام اللي اتقال عن موزارت في الموسيقى نقدر نقوله عن تشيكوف في الأدب وخصوصا القصة القصيرة ..

#تأملات
matt

Seen the Louis Malle movie a bunch of times, saw it performed as a kind of farcical romp once, read the actual play several times over.

It's my favorite among the Chekhov plays I've read. Stunning, relate-able, so agonizingly true to life (the love triangles, dorky-but-sweet professor type doesn't notice the simple heart who loves him, wretched old man whose longing for the beautiful lady is simultaneously his idea of redemption and self-pity, on and on....) and with an ending that gently plac
Janne Varvára
Dec 19, 2013 Janne Varvára rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
In my present state, spending Christmas at the psych ward to be kept an eye on while I test drugs, I feel it's only fitting to read the people who would understand: the Russians. I spent pretty much all of yesterday sitting in the living room here reading Chekhov's Uncle Vanya.

I realized pretty soon that not only do Anton Chekhov's plays have a lot in common, but Uncle Vanya is pretty much the same story as The Cherry Orchard; it shares that many common themes. But rather than feeling that this
David Sarkies
Jul 09, 2015 David Sarkies rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Modernists and people who like Russian literature
Recommended to David by: I've always wanted to read Chekov
Shelves: modernist
The nobility in a time of transition
11 October 2013

This is the last of the four Chekov plays that was in the book that I picked up in a second hand bookshop in Adelaide. The main reason that I grabbed the book was because I had never read anything by Chekov before, and also it was one of those nice hardcover editions (though I suspect that it is actually a part of a much larger collection of world literature, like the ones that are advertised in television in one of those ridiculously long info
Aliaa Mohamed
Oct 21, 2015 Aliaa Mohamed rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
ربما تبدو المسرحية في مظهرها الخارجي عادية ، ربما بعد الانتهاء من القراءة تشعر بأنك لم تحصل على شيء جديد أو تستفيد شيئاً من قراءتها ، ربما تشعر بخواء ولكن كل هذا لا ينكر أن بساطة أسلوب تشيخوف في تلك المسرحية اخفى وراءه قيمة هامة للعمل المسرحي هذا .
الخال فانيا ، الكثيرون منا بداخلهم الخال فانيا ، البعض يعترف بذلك والبعض الآخر يرتدي قناعاً لإخفاء ذلك .
أغلبنا تمر عليه لحظة يشعر وأن حياته مرت هباءاً وأنه أضاع الكثير من الوقت في الماضي دون أن يقوم بعمل أشياء لا يستطيع القيام بها الآن ، الندم وما أدرا
Bernard Norcott-mahany
Generally stories move from a starting point, through some crisis, and return the hero(ine) to the starting point, but now changed by the experience. That doesn't happen in "Uncle Vanya." The situation at the end is largely the same as before. There has been some discovery. People have learned something of what others feel and think about them, and about their own feelings towards others, but that knowledge is not profound, nor is there any change brought about because of the new knowledge.
When
Liz Janet
Feb 09, 2016 Liz Janet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
"There is no greater sorrow than to know another’s secret when you cannot help them.”

Ever heard of Russian drama? Have you ever heard of Tolstoy or Dostoevsky? Yes, those dramatic bastards! Chekhov is one of them.

This is the story of a very unhappy family, of wasted lives, of frustrated hopes, and a slight undertone of ecological issues.

“One hundred years from now, the people who come after us, for whom our lives are showing the way–will they think of us kindly? Will they remember us with a kin
Alan
Oct 26, 2015 Alan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First saw this at the Guthrie Theater, Minneapolis, nearly five decades ago (1969)--before I had read it in translation or (parts) in Russian. (The title, Дядя Ваня can be understood after two weeks of Russian.) The Guthrie had the tone just right--a comedy with a sad ending? Rather like so many Shakespeare tragedies with (somewhat) happy endings-- RIII,even MacBeth. Back then it was rare to see Checkov anything but dreary, quasi-tragic, similar to Ibsen.
Dr. Astrov's resounding support for the
Jim
Mar 30, 2014 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anton Chekhov's plays are so dense with the aura of disappointment that it is difficult to summarize them. Here we have a country estate which is run by Ivan and Sonia, unmarried brother and sister, for the benefit of their selfish father, the now retired Professor Serebryakov and his young wife. Ivan loves Serebryakov's twentyish wife Yelena; and Sonia, Doctor Astrov, who is in turn also in love with Yelena and thoroughly tired of her aging husband's hypochondria.

Even Astrov realizes that his
Vegantrav
Bleak.

Very bleak and dreary, like the Russian countryside in winter.

Not my cup of tea--especially the cold, bitter tea on offer in this play.

Can I say that Uncle Vanya is not boring yet is also not interesting without sounding absurd? It didn't bore me, yet I had no real interest in it as I read. The play is so short that its drabness does not deter the reader from finishing it.

There really is hardly any plot here: just a slice of the flat, listless lives of the characters who populate this r
Pavel
The end of this play is the lightest piece of prose ever written. In the darkest hour it actually tells me that there's still hope. I know this sounds pompous and yes, you have to go through whole play to get to this part, but still... I know this words by heart in Russian, not sure if it sounds that good in translation, copying it from some web site:

Hamid Hasanzadeh
روسیه همیشه توجه مرا به خود جلب می کند. رمان های داستایوسکی ، مدرسه هنرهای مسکو ، افکار لنین و حذب بلشویک و تاریخش ، و سینمای تارکوفسکی به راستی گواه بر این مدعاست که روسیه سرشار از سرچشمه های ذوق هنری و تفکر فلسفی-انقلابی بوده است. اگر که داستایوسکی را بهترین رمان نویس بدانیم ، بی شک در زمینه نمایشنامه نویسی آنتون چخوف-نه تنها در روسیه- بل در سطح جهان از بهترینان است.
دایی وانیا که یکی دیگر از شاهکارهای اوست در اواخر سده ی نوزدهم نگارش شده و به سال 1899 توسط مدرسه تئاتر مسکو و شخص استانیسلاوسکی
Gorfo
Aug 18, 2015 Gorfo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 3rd out of a 5 marathon Chekhov reading streak. I read Uncle Vanya after reading Ivanov. Some choice quotes include:

"Your doctor was right --- there's a demon of destruction in every one of you. You don't spare the trees, nor the birds, nor the women, nor each other."

"A woman becomes a man's friend in three steps: first acquaintance, then lover, then friend"

"You felt like shooting somebody, you should have put a bullet in your own head."

"I used to think freaks were sick, but I've c
Ahmad Sharabiani
Uncle Vanya , Anton Chekhov
عنوان: دايى وانيا - نمایشنامه در چهار پرده؛ آنتون چخوف؛ مترجم: هوشنگ پیرنظر؛ تهران، نیل، 1347؛ در 127 ص؛ چاپ دیگر: تهران، نشر قطره، 1383، شابک: 9643412709، در 110 ص، چاپ سوم 1386: شابک: 9789643412708؛ چاپ چهارم 1388؛ چاپ هشتم 1392؛ چاپ نهم 1393؛ موضوع: نمایشنامه های نویسندگان روسی قرن 19 م
عنوان: دايى وانيا و فرجامین اثر؛ آنتون چخوف؛ مترجم: احسان مجید تجریشی؛ تهران، اندیشه مانا، 1385؛ در 135 ص؛ شابک: 9649573763؛ دایی وانیا از ص 1 تا 114؛
عنوان: دايى وانيا - صفحه هایی از
Ahmed Mahmoud Gamal

لحد الان لم أقرأ قصةاو مسرحيه مبهرة لانطون تشيخوف ..هذه المسرحيه تافهه للغايه هل تكلم تشيخوف عن مشاكل فى مجتمعه؟..لا لم يفعل فقط نجد مسرحيه بدون هدف تحكى عن عائله ريفيه حياتها ممله ورتيبه ..يتبدل حالها
بمجرد وصول احد افراد الاسره هو وزوجته ..يقع كل افراد الاسرة الذكور والعجائز فى غرام الزوجه ..وتجنبا للمشاكل
تقرر الزوجه وزوجها الرحيل كما جاءا ..هذه هى المسرحيه
Ana Maria Rînceanu
This play gives a melancholic look at the concept of "wasted life", which all of our characters suffer from to some extent. This was a great play but I would not recommend reading it in case you are depressed since the play does not offer any solutions or comforts aside from the promise of an afterlife. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Chekhov an atheist?
Riham
May 01, 2011 Riham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
about waste of life and aging..
اللحظة من حياتك التى تدرك فيها أنك أضعت عمرا فيما لا يفيد و أن كل قناعاتك وأفكارك كانت أفكار تافهة لم تخدم ولن تنفع..
الخال فانيا شعر بذلك..ولكنه قرر أن من الأفضل أن يستمر في تلك الحياة عديمة القيمة :(
Bogdan Liviu
Oct 21, 2013 Bogdan Liviu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Despre tortura de a-ti constientiza incapacitatea de a-ti suporta in continuare existenta. A fi spulberat de imposibilitate, de inutilitate, de o viata sterila pentru care-ai tras ca un cal, toata munca depusa a fost sub impulsul celei mai sinistre amageli; te regasesti la varsta de patruzeci si sapte de ani, intr-o integrala incapactate de a continua sa respiri pana la sfarsitul zilelor. O fiintare lipsita de orice realizare, o intreaga tinerete - seva intregii vieti - amanetata unei alte perso ...more
Qi
Oct 14, 2013 Qi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
** With apology to other readers, this review is only on a movie adaption set in Australia, called "Country Life", starred by Sam Neil. My justification for filing this note under the original book is stemmed purely for my own future reference **

Among the set of characters in this classic play of frustrations and delusion of life, there are several clusters -- the realists, the aspirants, and the willfully blinded ones.

The realists include the Doctor, the old maid in the house, and the young wi
Leslie
Apr 04, 2015 Leslie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, plays, russian
I read while listening to the Librivox full cast recording, which I will recommend. I found having different people reading the different parts (plus their intonations at certain times) really helped me keep track of who was who.

This play struck me as having a lot going on even through it is mostly talk rather than action. Vanya (Ivan) has been caring for his niece Sonia's estate after his sister died; now, his (former?) brother-in-law & his second wife Helena are visiting. Helena exerts a d
Nick
Aug 07, 2015 Nick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great dialogue and interesting character dynamics, but it was depressing. The message seems to be that idleness causes ennui, therefore work to distract yourself from the pain of life until you die and go to heaven. I get the sense that studying what was going on in Russia during this time period would be some help.

Please read it and fill me in on anything I might be missing.
TarasProkopyuk
Dec 13, 2012 TarasProkopyuk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: play
Данная пьеса Антона Чехова достаточно хороша, но лично мне показалось, что она на порядок ниже чем другие Чеховские пьесы. Возможно такое впечатление сложилось только из-за самого сюжета пьесы.

А что касается того как автор тонко предоставил своих героев, их недостатки, их поступки и их порочность, то тут Антону Чехову нет равных. Как всегда есть над чем задуматься…
Kourosh
سه ويژگي در دو نمايشنامه اي كه از چخوف خوانده ام جلب توجه كرده اند: اتفاقات بي اهميت، شخصيت هاي تيپيكالي كه از زندگي ملولند و پايان هاي اميدبخش نامتعارفش.
تقابل سونيا، وانيا، الكساندر، يلنا، آستروف و ... از شدت معمولي بودن اين افراد، به نتيجه خاصي منجر نمي شود اما گاه با واكنشي احمقانه نمايشنامه به جلو رانده مي شود. همه درگير گذشته از دست رفته اي هستند كه زندگي فعلي شان نيز با آن تفاوتي ندارد. به گونه اي شكواييه عاميانه مي ماند از "كارهايي كه بايد انجام مي شد و نشد" و معمولا هم ديگران مقصر قلمداد
§--
Dec 01, 2010 §-- rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays, russians
I definitely feel like I missed something here. There are some general things I noticed, but "what it's about" is elusive, as so much of the play contradicts other parts. Chekhov, as in the earlier Seagull, takes a bunch of very unlikely people and puts them in a room, letting things happen. As for the stereotype that he's boring, I don't see that at all. There's a shooting on stage!

Like the Seagull, Chekhov is working in a pastoral mode, but this time he ties the action to the setting (in the S
All About Books: Group Play -- Uncle Vanya (Spring 2015) 46 41 Jun 19, 2015 09:08AM
Public Play House: Uncle Vanya 1 3 Mar 01, 2015 10:04PM
  • The Inspector General
  • Ghosts
  • The Queen of Spades
  • Time Stands Still (TCG Edition)
  • The Lower Depths
  • The God of Carnage
  • Other Desert Cities
  • Electra
  • Rhinoceros / The Chairs / The Lesson
Anton Pavlovich Chekhov was born in the small seaport of Taganrog, southern Russia, the son of a grocer. Chekhov's grandfather was a serf, who had bought his own freedom and that of his three sons in 1841. He also taught himself to read and write. Yevgenia Morozova, Chekhov's mother, was the daughter of a cloth merchant.

"When I think back on my childhood," Chekhov recalled, "it all seems quite glo
More about Anton Chekhov...

“..when one has no real life, one lives by mirages. It's still better than nothing.” 35 likes
“What must human beings be, to destroy what they can never create?” 22 likes