The Boss of You: Everything A Woman Needs to Know to Start, Run, and Maintain Her Own Business

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  174 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Female entrepreneurs are a growing force to be reckoned with. Each year, more and more women take the initiative and start their own business ventures—at twice the rate of men. Women continue to reshape the business world with innovative models, both large and small. So why is there a lack of clear-cut, expert advice aimed at this dynamic female audience?

In The Boss of You...more
Published April 15th 2008 by Seal Press

Jeannette
I'm not one to read business books which is a shame since I have my own business, but I really liked this one. Lots of practical advice and even though I've been in business for myself for a couple of years, there still was enough information in there to keep me reading. I got this book from the library, but I actually think I will head out and purchase this one. Even though it's geared towards women, I think my husband (and business partner) will find that this book is full of useful informatio...more
Emily
This book was awesome, start to finish. I checked it out of the library, but now I really want to get my own copy and read it again, dog-earing pages and writing in the margins. Tara Swiger, from Blonde Chicken Boutique, recommended this on a call she did a while back, and the advice seems right-on and adaptable to all different kinds of small businesses, from product sales to service-based.
Lorissa
Every woman wanting to start, or grow, their own business needs to read this.
Juliette
I thought this was a fantastic book and here's why:

* Approachable writing style makes it very easy to read (good sense of humor, too!).
* Rich content that's clearly organized.
* Lots of examples to flesh out the topics covered.
* Helpful exercises to encourage experiential learning, not just read-it-and-maybe-forget-about-it.

This book is aimed at women, but it's not full of crazy feminist stuff or touchy-feely-how-to-love-you type of stuff. I was worried I'd get that in a book aimed at women (eve...more
Kat
I absolutely loved this book! I read everything from start to finish. This book was like a breath of fresh air. It really told me everything I needed to know and stayed true to its title. I checked it out from the library but its definitely on my list of books to purchase. This is not a book I just read through. It actually inspired me to get a notebook and brainstorm. Very inspiring. The best book for aspiring woman entrepreneurs. Great step by step information and resource guide in the back. I...more
Jaime K
Best book I've found about running a business if you don't have a traditional business background, and what you think of as "traditional business" makes you cringe just a bit. This is a modern, refreshing guide accessible to creative types and those looking to be serious but not stuffy. If you've wanted to start a business and have no idea how to start, what to expect, or what resources you need, this book grabs your hand and takes you through the process, most importantly helping you get a gras...more
Tara
What I learned from this book...
1. Not that I'm going to be going off on my own anytime soon, but I think every independent woman wonders what it would take. This is as simple a guide as possible that's out there and it was easy to read, but I was left with more questions than answers. Which, I suppose in this case, is a good thing.
2. On the one hand, starting your own business seems easy, and why wouldn't you want to be your own boss.
3. On the other hand, it's quite scary and takes some bravery...more
Stitchywoman
Good book for anyone (woman or man) who is interested in starting their own business. Well organized, understandable, and concise book the goes over the basics of starting your own small business. It was an eyeopener for me and has caused me to rethink some of my plans. I realized, after reading this book, how unprepared I was to start a business. This book is not in-depth but rather is a good first start for anyone interested in owning their own business.
Sheyna Galyan
This was an EXCELLENT book: practical, funny, and encouraging without being too perky. I'd give it 4.5 stars, and the only reason it's not a 5-star book is the book designer's fault: the print was just a point size or two too small, and—glasses or not—reading that tiny print for more than a few pages gave me a headache. Wish I'd had the ebook version!
Kim Olson
This is a fantastic little guide to launching a business, written specifically for women who plan to start a small, creative endeavor. It offers advice on planning, marketing, pricing--the whole gamut--with precisely this type of business in mind. It's chock-full of specific tips and advice (and inspiration), and the writing style is pleasantly engaging.
Jenny
Really good, makes me want to start my own business. US-focused, which surprised me a little. Very fun to read (except some of the drier bits about finances and taxes, I'll admit), lots of great tips and fabulous anecdotes. Highly recommended!
Jacqueline Snider
This is a very informative book for all business owners, not just women. They are very insightful and comprehensive in their tips and their exercises really help you answer some of those tough questions about business decision making.
Stacy
A very helpful book that doesn't come across as too dry and "businessy." There's lots of good info in here, even if you aren't your own boss but, like me, work for a small business and/or want to keep your options open for the future.
Ashley Howard
this book is just what i need right now. motivation and reassurance that woman CAN be their own boss! written by two very artsy and hype ladies, this is not a dull read.
must read for all those seeking self employement!
Lisa
Apr 12, 2009 Lisa added it
Shelves: could-not-finish
Looks to be chock-full of great info, but my entrepreneurial mojo has died down a bit (not due to the book!) so I just couldn't finish it. I do plan to read it someday, if the entrepreneurial mood strikes again.
Laurie
I decided to read this book because I have been thinking about startin an online fabric store.... A lot of this book didn't really pertain to me and my business ideas, but I still enjoyed it and found it very useful.
Elizabeth
Using the exercises in this book to help me start a business... the authors seem to be providing good advice and the exercises seem helpful... I guess only time will tell as I put them into practice...
Jamie
Dec 25, 2012 Jamie added it
Shelves: z-2012-reads
I thought this book was well written and gave me some valuable information as well as a few things to ponder. A good addition to my resources collection. I see myself referring back to it in the future :)
Kassel
Mar 10, 2012 Kassel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
A good, unconventional look at guiding women into running their own businesses. Best for women who seek to maintain a small business, have a solo proprietorship, or run a consultancy.
noisy penguin
I'm in the process of opening my own business. This book is excellent for everything from budgeting tips to personal satisfaction. The resource guide in the back is fantastic.
Mirbot
I love this book, it really covers most everything you need to know as a new entrepreneur. The authors are from BC, so there is plenty of Canadian content as well.
Shandra
Dec 17, 2009 Shandra rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Women looking to become a small business owner
Recommended to Shandra by: Library Search
Pretty good book for Women who are looking to open and operate their own business. Not full of useful information though, but a good source to get started.
Ashley
Great book if you're serious about freelancing or working for yourself - I'm not business-inclined, and I LOVED this book!
Linda Le
okay, i never finished this book but it's a great reference. easy to read, female friendly...
Kathy
Very informative and thoughtful. A business book that was actually fun to read!
Anna Edwards
Excellent resource for anyone looking to start their own business.
Jewel
So far, very detailed. It has great points, examples, etc..
Lydia
Great starting place for new entreprenuers.
Tara
My first and favorite business book.
Kate
Great book for women.
  • My So-Called Freelance Life: How to Survive and Thrive as a Creative Professional for Hire
  • Craft, Inc.: Turn Your Creative Hobby into a Business
  • The Creative Entrepreneur: A DIY Visual Guidebook for Making Business Ideas Real
  • The Handmade Marketplace: How To Sell Your Crafts Locally, Globally, And Online
  • The Right-Brain Business Plan: A Creative, Visual Map for Success
  • The Girl's Guide to Starting Your Own Business: Candid Advice, Frank Talk, and True Stories for the Successful Entrepreneur
  • Crafty Superstar: Make Crafts on the Side, Earn Extra Cash, and Basically Have It All
  • Blogging for Bliss: Crafting Your Own Online Journal: A Guide for Crafters, Artists & Creatives of all Kinds
  • The Money Book for Freelancers, Part-Timers, and the Self-Employed: The only personal finance system for people with not-so-regular jobs
  • Making a Living Without a Job: Winning Ways for Creating Work That You Love
  • Refuse to Choose!: Use All of Your Interests, Passions, and Hobbies to Create the Life and Career of Your Dreams
  • The Wealthy Freelancer: 12 Secrets to a Great Income and an Enviable Lifestyle
  • Secrets of Six-Figure Women: Surprising Strategies to Up Your Earnings and Change Your Life
  • How to Sell Your Crafts Online: A Step-by-Step Guide to Successful Sales on Etsy and Beyond
  • Where Women Create: Inspiring Work Spaces of Extraordinary Women
  • The Renaissance Soul: Life Design for People with Too Many Passions to Pick Just One
  • Operation Beautiful: Transforming the Way You See Yourself One Post-it Note at aTime
  • Infographics: The Power of Visual Storytelling
I am the author of The Boss of You: Everything a Woman Needs to Know to to Start, Run and Maintain Her Own Business
More about Emira Mears...
Boss of You, The: Everything a Woman Needs to Know to Start, Run, and Maintain Her Own Business