Start by marking “The Skillful Teacher: Building Your Teaching Skills” as Want to Read:
The Skillful Teacher: Building Your Teaching Skills

The Skillful Teacher: Building Your Teaching Skills

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  127 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Of all the things that are essential to high performing schools, nothing is more important than the teacher and what that person knows, believes and can do. A teacher's skill makes a difference in student performance, not only in achievement scores, but also in students sense of fulfillment in school and their feelings of well-being.

Twenty chapters capture a blend of resea
Published January 1st 2008 by Research for Better Teaching Inc. (RBT) (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Skillful Teacher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Skillful Teacher

Laura Scruggs
This is a book packed with information and specifics on the skills needed in the classroom. It's going on my bookshelf right next to Harry Wong's "First Days of School". It's an essential resource - one to be read a reviewed yearly - a book to keep at your fingertips, like the dictionary.
Matt
Long, comprehensive, repetitive, overly simplistic. This book had its pros and cons. I did admire the insistence to never give up on a child and to continuously explore and expand teaching repertoires in order to match up with kids' learning styles.
Star
This is an excellent resource that I read for the first time several years ago. This year, as a twenty year veteran teacher, I had the opportunity to take the Skillful Teacher course. This book and the accompanying binder are amazing resources I will continue to use.
Jeffrey Tomlinson
Nov 04, 2010 Jeffrey Tomlinson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teachers, principals, educators, personal trainers, facilitators, presenters
Recommended to Jeffrey by: Emily Yates
THIS is the book you MUST HAVE to push your teaching to the next step. It's written in such a teacher-centered way, that you can use it the NEXT day in your classroom. It's not overwhelming, complicated to implement, and it's nothing short of what GOOD teaching is. The book really helps you analyze and evaluate your current teaching skills and work to improve them. This is the only book about teaching I've read that clearly spells out, "ok, so what do I do now?". GET IT!
Jay
Used this text with my secondary MAT students. It was chosen before I started teaching the class. For folks who know little about teaching, it's a very useful handbook. The students seemed to agree.
Aryn
I think the amount of care, reflection and through that goes into good teaching is often underestimated. A good teacher works seriously hard. This book is an excellent and practical guide for reflecting on your teaching style and building your teaching skills in order to ensure that kids learn more and you work smarter.
Helen
This provides a nice overview of Models of Learning, Bruce Joyce et al. and is not comprehensive but strong and broad as a guide to the literature about effective teaching practices over the last four or five decades!
Terry
This is a good overview of most of the issues in teaching. While content-specific books or grade-level specific books will also be necessary for preservice teachers, this will head off a lot of mistaken turns.
Marcia
Aug 25, 2011 Marcia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Marcia by: Bob
Really good, useful information. As I read, I kept thinking "need to memorize...need to memorize." Very helpful for beginning teachers or others hoping to strengthen their skills.
Sam
This would be a great book for young teachers or college students in teacher prep programs. Lots of resources and different theories on educational practice.
Jenn
This book is the cornerstone of all of my teacher development work. If there was such a thing as the "bible of teaching," this would be it.
Clark
I read this for class and am keeping it. Lots of good practical information for the teacher in training.
Kirstin
If it's wasn't one of my text books I would love it a whole lot more. However really great information.
Alfonso
Wonderful book, an excellent overview in teaching. Great for new or experienced teachers.
Araminta Matthews
A bit dated and full of "Engfish", but otherwise some useful tips.
Diane
Um, it was required for a class so... yeah.
James
Great fundamental teaching resource
Oram Ramirez
Oram Ramirez marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Mohammad
Mohammad marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Marla Hall
Marla Hall marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Ashley
Ashley is currently reading it
Jun 15, 2015
Rosie
Rosie marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Walaa
Walaa marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Rousseau
Rousseau is currently reading it
Jun 05, 2015
Lauren Thomas
Lauren Thomas marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Lauren Jordan
Lauren Jordan marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Sally Jones
Sally Jones marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Kansassteel
Kansassteel marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Driven by Data: A Practical Guide to Improve Instruction
  • Leverage Leadership: A Practical Guide to Building Exceptional Schools
  • Understanding by Design
  • Results Now: How We Can Achieve Unprecedented Improvements in Teaching and Learning
  • 6 + 1 Traits of Writing: The Complete Guide: Grades 3 & Up: Everything You Need to Teach and Assess Student Writing With This Powerful Model
  • Strategies That Work: Teaching Comprehension to Enhance Understanding
  • Focus: Elevating the Essentials to Radically Improve Student Learning
  • Visible Learning for Teachers: Maximizing Impact on Learning
  • Classroom Instruction That Works: Research-based Strategies for Increasing Student Achievement
  • Teach with Your Strengths: How Great Teachers Inspire Their Students
  • Whatever It Takes: How Professional Learning Communities Respond When Kids Don't Learn
  • Understanding by Design Professional Development Workbook
  • The Skillful Teacher: On Technique, Trust, and Responsiveness in the Classroom
  • The Skin That We Speak : Thoughts on Language and Culture in the Classroom
  • Words Their Way: Word Study for Phonics, Vocabulary, and Spelling Instruction, [Book, CD & DVD]
  • Enhancing Professional Practice: A Framework for Teaching
  • Reading with Meaning
  • Never Work Harder Than Your Students & Other Principles of Great Teaching
Summarizers: Activity Structures to Support Integration and Retention of New Learning Activators: Activity Structures to Engage Student's Thinking Before Instruction Part 1 - The Skillful Teacher: Building Your Teaching Skills How to Make Supervision and Evaluation Really Work: Supervision and Evaluation in the Context of Strengthening School Culture Part 3 - The Skillful Teacher: Building Your Teaching Skills