The Skillful Teacher: Building Your Teaching Skills

The Skillful Teacher: Building Your Teaching Skills

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Of all the things that are essential to high performing schools, nothing is more important than the teacher and what that person knows, believes and can do. A teacher's skill makes a difference in student performance, not only in achievement scores, but also in students sense of fulfillment in school and their feelings of well-being.

Twenty chapters capture a blend of resea...more
Published January 1st 2008 by Research for Better Teaching Inc. (RBT) (first published January 1st 1997)

Laura Scruggs
This is a book packed with information and specifics on the skills needed in the classroom. It's going on my bookshelf right next to Harry Wong's "First Days of School". It's an essential resource - one to be read a reviewed yearly - a book to keep at your fingertips, like the dictionary.
Matt
Long, comprehensive, repetitive, overly simplistic. This book had its pros and cons. I did admire the insistence to never give up on a child and to continuously explore and expand teaching repertoires in order to match up with kids' learning styles.
Star
This is an excellent resource that I read for the first time several years ago. This year, as a twenty year veteran teacher, I had the opportunity to take the Skillful Teacher course. This book and the accompanying binder are amazing resources I will continue to use.
Jeffrey Tomlinson
Nov 04, 2010 Jeffrey Tomlinson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teachers, principals, educators, personal trainers, facilitators, presenters
Recommended to Jeffrey by: Emily Yates
THIS is the book you MUST HAVE to push your teaching to the next step. It's written in such a teacher-centered way, that you can use it the NEXT day in your classroom. It's not overwhelming, complicated to implement, and it's nothing short of what GOOD teaching is. The book really helps you analyze and evaluate your current teaching skills and work to improve them. This is the only book about teaching I've read that clearly spells out, "ok, so what do I do now?". GET IT!
Jay
Used this text with my secondary MAT students. It was chosen before I started teaching the class. For folks who know little about teaching, it's a very useful handbook. The students seemed to agree.
Aryn
I think the amount of care, reflection and through that goes into good teaching is often underestimated. A good teacher works seriously hard. This book is an excellent and practical guide for reflecting on your teaching style and building your teaching skills in order to ensure that kids learn more and you work smarter.
Helen
This provides a nice overview of Models of Learning, Bruce Joyce et al. and is not comprehensive but strong and broad as a guide to the literature about effective teaching practices over the last four or five decades!
Terry
This is a good overview of most of the issues in teaching. While content-specific books or grade-level specific books will also be necessary for preservice teachers, this will head off a lot of mistaken turns.
Marcia
Aug 25, 2011 Marcia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Marcia by: Bob
Really good, useful information. As I read, I kept thinking "need to memorize...need to memorize." Very helpful for beginning teachers or others hoping to strengthen their skills.
Sam
This would be a great book for young teachers or college students in teacher prep programs. Lots of resources and different theories on educational practice.
Jenn
This book is the cornerstone of all of my teacher development work. If there was such a thing as the "bible of teaching," this would be it.
Clark
I read this for class and am keeping it. Lots of good practical information for the teacher in training.
Kirstin
If it's wasn't one of my text books I would love it a whole lot more. However really great information.
Alfonso
Wonderful book, an excellent overview in teaching. Great for new or experienced teachers.
Araminta Matthews
A bit dated and full of "Engfish", but otherwise some useful tips.
Diane
Um, it was required for a class so... yeah.
James
Great fundamental teaching resource
Lehua
Lehua marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Margaret Grabowski
Margaret Grabowski marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Caitlin Bickel
Caitlin Bickel marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Sarah is currently reading it
Jun 17, 2014
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
How to Make Supervision and Evaluation Really Work: Supervision and Evaluation in the Context of Strengthening School Culture Summarizers: Activity Structures to Support Integration and Retention of New Learning Activators: Activity Structures to Engage Student's Thinking Before Instruction Part 3 - The Skillful Teacher: Building Your Teaching Skills Part 4 - The Skillful Teacher: Building Your Teaching Skills