Start by marking “The Skillful Teacher: Building Your Teaching Skills” as Want to Read:
The Skillful Teacher: Building Your Teaching Skills

The Skillful Teacher: Building Your Teaching Skills

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  151 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Of all the things that are essential to high performing schools, nothing is more important than the teacher and what that person knows, believes and can do. A teacher's skill makes a difference in student performance, not only in achievement scores, but also in students sense of fulfillment in school and their feelings of well-being.

Twenty chapters capture a blend of resea
Published January 1st 2008 by Research for Better Teaching Inc. (RBT) (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Skillful Teacher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Skillful Teacher

Laura Scruggs
Aug 02, 2012 Laura Scruggs rated it it was amazing
This is a book packed with information and specifics on the skills needed in the classroom. It's going on my bookshelf right next to Harry Wong's "First Days of School". It's an essential resource - one to be read a reviewed yearly - a book to keep at your fingertips, like the dictionary.
Matt
May 12, 2012 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Long, comprehensive, repetitive, overly simplistic. This book had its pros and cons. I did admire the insistence to never give up on a child and to continuously explore and expand teaching repertoires in order to match up with kids' learning styles.
Jeffrey Tomlinson
Nov 04, 2010 Jeffrey Tomlinson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teachers, principals, educators, personal trainers, facilitators, presenters
Recommended to Jeffrey by: Emily Yates
Shelves:
THIS is the book you MUST HAVE to push your teaching to the next step. It's written in such a teacher-centered way, that you can use it the NEXT day in your classroom. It's not overwhelming, complicated to implement, and it's nothing short of what GOOD teaching is. The book really helps you analyze and evaluate your current teaching skills and work to improve them. This is the only book about teaching I've read that clearly spells out, "ok, so what do I do now?". GET IT!
Aryn
May 10, 2009 Aryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think the amount of care, reflection and through that goes into good teaching is often underestimated. A good teacher works seriously hard. This book is an excellent and practical guide for reflecting on your teaching style and building your teaching skills in order to ensure that kids learn more and you work smarter.
Star
Jul 21, 2014 Star rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent resource that I read for the first time several years ago. This year, as a twenty year veteran teacher, I had the opportunity to take the Skillful Teacher course. This book and the accompanying binder are amazing resources I will continue to use.
Helen
Jun 28, 2012 Helen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This provides a nice overview of Models of Learning, Bruce Joyce et al. and is not comprehensive but strong and broad as a guide to the literature about effective teaching practices over the last four or five decades!
Terry
Dec 20, 2008 Terry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teaching-general
This is a good overview of most of the issues in teaching. While content-specific books or grade-level specific books will also be necessary for preservice teachers, this will head off a lot of mistaken turns.
Marcia
Aug 25, 2011 Marcia rated it really liked it
Recommended to Marcia by: Bob
Really good, useful information. As I read, I kept thinking "need to memorize...need to memorize." Very helpful for beginning teachers or others hoping to strengthen their skills.
Jenn
Aug 03, 2010 Jenn rated it it was amazing
This book is the cornerstone of all of my teacher development work. If there was such a thing as the "bible of teaching," this would be it.
Clark
Nov 17, 2012 Clark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this for class and am keeping it. Lots of good practical information for the teacher in training.
Bryan Zugelder
Jul 08, 2015 Bryan Zugelder rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An incredible and practical guide for coaches/mentors to use in working with novice teachers.
Jay
Jul 22, 2014 Jay rated it really liked it
Used this text with my secondary MAT students. It was chosen before I started teaching the class. For folks who know little about teaching, it's a very useful handbook. The students seemed to agree.
Sam
Feb 15, 2014 Sam rated it liked it
This would be a great book for young teachers or college students in teacher prep programs. Lots of resources and different theories on educational practice.
Kirstin
Apr 10, 2008 Kirstin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If it's wasn't one of my text books I would love it a whole lot more. However really great information.
Alfonso
Aug 02, 2009 Alfonso rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book, an excellent overview in teaching. Great for new or experienced teachers.
Araminta Matthews
Jan 04, 2011 Araminta Matthews rated it liked it
A bit dated and full of "Engfish", but otherwise some useful tips.
Diane
May 11, 2011 Diane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Um, it was required for a class so... yeah.
James
Great fundamental teaching resource
Felix
Felix marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Michaela
Michaela is currently reading it
May 25, 2016
Sarah Bastian
Sarah Bastian is currently reading it
May 25, 2016
Melinda
Melinda is currently reading it
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Rebecca Perron
Rebecca Perron is currently reading it
Bridget Wilson
Bridget Wilson marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
ShiraDestinie
ShiraDestinie marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Gab
Gab marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Darby
Darby is currently reading it
Apr 27, 2016
Efensi
Efensi is currently reading it
Apr 26, 2016
  • Driven by Data: A Practical Guide to Improve Instruction
  • Leverage Leadership: A Practical Guide to Building Exceptional Schools
  • Understanding by Design
  • Strategies That Work: Teaching Comprehension to Enhance Understanding
  • 6 + 1 Traits of Writing: The Complete Guide: Grades 3 & Up: Everything You Need to Teach and Assess Student Writing With This Powerful Model
  • Results Now: How We Can Achieve Unprecedented Improvements in Teaching and Learning
  • Whatever It Takes: How Professional Learning Communities Respond When Kids Don't Learn
  • Checking for Understanding: Formative Assessment Techniques for Your Classroom
  • Teach With Your Strengths: How Great Teachers Inspire Their Students
  • The Skillful Teacher: On Technique, Trust, and Responsiveness in the Classroom
  • Focus: Elevating the Essentials to Radically Improve Student Learning
  • Understanding by Design Professional Development Workbook
  • Never Work Harder Than Your Students & Other Principles of Great Teaching
  • Visible Learning for Teachers: Maximizing Impact on Learning
  • Classroom Instruction That Works: Research-based Strategies for Increasing Student Achievement
  • Total Participation Techniques: Making Every Student an Active Learner
  • Black Ants and Buddhists: Thinking Critically and Teaching Differently in the Primary Grades
  • The Art of Teaching Reading